0460: "Paleontology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shotglass

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby Shotglass » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

contreras wrote:JP introduced the little dinosaurs for the big audience too, and the kick-ass velociraptors

which actually were deinonychi

dinosaurs really jumped the megalodon when images of dromaeosauridae started having feathers

Grego

Postby Grego » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

cparker15 wrote:
Sprocket wrote:In my experience, kids dig dinos, and dig digging dinos. I know, it's pretty meta.

But do they digg people digging digging dinos?

Cue the groans.

Apparently, yes they do.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

phlip wrote:Oh, I have plenty of appreciation for the humble patissier, I'm just saying that the profession hardly has the death-dealing wouldn't-want-to-meet-in-a-back-alley-oh-and-by-the-way-I've-torn-your-intestines-out toughness that the dinosaurs are famed for...

How about a Dwarven patissier?
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

SandraL

Postby SandraL » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Wow, can I ever relate to this one. I wanted to be a paleontologist from the time I was 4 until I was about 14. Well, there was that brief distraction when I was 7 and wanted to be a tight-rope walker...

When I was a kid (Uphill! Both ways!), it wasn't cool to like dinosaurs. I was just weird. Gotta give today's kids some credit, though - we didn't know about as many dinosaurs back then, so it was much easier to keep track of 'em all. Sort of like memorizing the names of all the U.S. presidents...just keeps getting harder and harder.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

To be fair, Jurassic Park didn't come out until I was 13, but I saw it cuz Dinosaurs are awesome. I saw my first animatronic dinosaurs at the natural history museum in...Springfield MA or something? I was probably 8, so it was 1987. They were really cool. I remember watching them later from a video my dad recorded and this guy saying about one of the robotic displays (I don't think it was a Pachycephalosaurs but it's something similar at least) waxing poetical, "this guy gives terminal head butts."

Now that I've recalled it to you, the memory is going to be skewed in my brain, and I can't actually hear how it was in my minds ear how I could when I was originally about to tell it to you folk. Bah.

But I do remember thinking about how cool it was that Jurassic Park was finally utilizing these dino robots.

And finally, the best thing about Jurassic Park - The robots were actually there! Artists had to painstakingly shape and paint them, an engineer had to build them, and Jeff Goldblum was ACTUALLY scared of them. Maybe...

In conclusion - fuck CG. Unless it's Golem. Damn it, I've sold out.
Last edited by Sprocket on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

jbass357

Postby jbass357 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:
jbass357 wrote:i love dinosaurs cause they're so delicious. 8)

They taste like chicken. :roll:

i eat them with some fava beans and a nice chianti. 8)

jbass357

Postby jbass357 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:In conclusion - fuck CG. Unless it's Golem. Damn it, I've sold out.

although a lot of the closeups used animatronic puppets... most of the dino scenes in Jurassic Park were rendered CG animations.
which also takes a skilled artist and very time consuming.

still, i am a strong supporter of Animatronic puppets in movies. damn George Lucas, damn him to.... just damn him.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

I think this may have been the same people's exhibit I saw, but it's changed a bit since '87. Scenes of the Dinosaurs

SandraL wrote: When I was a kid (Uphill! Both ways!), it wasn't cool to like dinosaurs.
Woah...woah woah woah...how old ARE you? As far as I know, liking dinosaurs has been for kids as long as there have been KIDS! I mean, you know, tied with trains and heavy construction machinery (back-hoe baby!) MAYBE, but I think generally cooler and more universal. Seriously...you must be like 83. ;-)

So was it Gerty that got you interested?

Grego wrote:
cparker15 wrote:But do they digg people digging digging dinos?
Cue the groans.

Apparently, yes they do.

Wow. Awesome.

digg coments wrote:Souzetsu
11 hr 11 min ago Looks like she really "digs" dinosaurs.
Reply+1 digg +1 / -0
EVEN MOAR META!

other digg comment wrote:eskizo
3 hr 6 min ago sigh ... when I was first into the internet ... there were no comments like all of these.
:-)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Grego

Postby Grego » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Digg has proved to have comic value..? :shock:

AbsalomAbsalom

Postby AbsalomAbsalom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:In conclusion - fuck CG. Unless it's Golem. Damn it, I've sold out.

Golem? Like the Pokemon? I think it's Gollum...

Sleet

Postby Sleet » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

There were kids who weren't already into dinosaurs when Jurassic Park came out? :shock:
I had loved dinosaurs for as long as I can remember before that movie, and had already planned on being an archaeologist. Then I saw the movie, read the book, and ended up deciding to take up genetics.

hamsterpoop

Postby hamsterpoop » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:29 am UTC

meh... this comic sucked...

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 am UTC

cparker15 wrote:
Sprocket wrote:In my experience, kids dig dinos, and dig digging dinos. I know, it's pretty meta.

Cue the groans.

But the big question here is:
Do digging Diggers digg digging digging dinos?

Or:
Do digging Diggers digg digging people digging digging dinos?

Yes, it could get worse.

Grego wrote:Digg has proved to have comic value..? :shock:

Why should Digg stand back for YouTube? :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

DNAHelicase

Postby DNAHelicase » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Wow... nerdiest Happy Days reference EVAR!!!

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Dinosaurs are like dragons, but even more awesome because they're real.

My first prolonged exposure (albeit one full of simplifying lies) was probably the Dinosaucers cartoon. I remember looking up pterodactyl in The Encyclopaedia of Prehistoric Life, only to be told it wasn't a species at all but a generic name for a group of them.
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

For those of you who are saying, "I was into dinosaurs before they were cool," and related comments... no, no, you weren't. Dinosaurs have been cool basically since 1854 (the Crystal Palace), if not before then. JP was such a hit because dinosaurs are cool, not because everyone saw it and promptly decided that dinosaurs were 'the shit', though I'm sure it helped hold interest in those who were about to get tired of the subject and perhaps inspired it in a few.

Mind you, I too fall into that demographic (pre-1993 dinosaur fanatic), I'm just nitpicky. (This goes so far that I occasionally point and laugh if people say "Those weren't Velociraptors, they were Deinonychus or Utahraptors!", and point out that there was, at some point, a fairly serious if not very long-lasting dispute whether Deinonychus antirrhopus should be called Velociraptor antirrhopus. Someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery.)

All of that, mind you, is not intended as a jab at this comic - I lol'ed. :D

Side note: Safari for PC apparently knows a goshdarn lot about dinosaurs. *shakes fist at it* I'd rather you respected my BE ways than know it's spelt Deinonychus! :|
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

Turquoise Days

Postby Turquoise Days » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

As a palaeontologist, I must join the ranks of those who register to register their approval of a particular comic. And may I say Jurassic Park II and III sucked.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

I'm not sure if anyone's already said this, but Calvin and Hobbes existed before Jurrasic Park, and Calvin and Hobbes has lots of dinosaur-related stuff in it.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Exenon

Postby Exenon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
cparker15 wrote:

Cue the groans.

Or:

Of course they do ! And they certainly do it with daggers :mrgreen: !
Yeah, I know, this one is a bit out of the line, but screw it, it still like it :mrgreen: !
Tu sum up : Digging Diggers with daggers digg digging people digging digging dinos (with daggers :D) !
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Exenon wrote:
ThemePark wrote:
cparker15 wrote:

Cue the groans.

Or:

Of course they do ! And they certainly do it with daggers :mrgreen: !
Yeah, I know, this one is a bit out of the line, but screw it, it still like it :mrgreen: !
Tu sum up : Digging Diggers with daggers digg digging people digging digging dinos (with daggers :D) !

You just made me realize that I can actually make it even worse. :lol:

To sum up the sum up:
Digging digging diggers with daggers digg digging digging diggers digging digging digging people digging digging digging dinos with daggers. :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Exenon

Postby Exenon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Oh me yarm !! Where are we going ???
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Exenon wrote:Oh me yarm !! Where are we going ???

We're going digging for dinos, of course. Got your dagger? :D

Exenon

Postby Exenon » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Always ! But let's make a vid of our digging and publish it on digg.com ! So we are going to be diggers who digg and ... ... ... i think you know how it is going to end :mrgreen: !

ThemePark wrote:To sum up the sum up:
Digging digging diggers with daggers digg digging digging diggers digging digging digging people digging digging digging dinos with daggers. :D

That's what SHE said !!!

fuffybaby18

Postby fuffybaby18 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:18 am UTC

I wanted to dig up dino bones a couple years before Jurassic Park came out, but then Land Before Time was probably my favorite movie as a kid. There's this huge dinosaur park on the Utah/Colorado border that we used to visit all the time as kids, plus, the Denver Natural History Museum (or whatever it's called now) has the coolest dinosaur exhibit ever! Much like the effect of Twister on my obsession with storm chasing, Jurassic Park just made me that much more obsessed. Twister and Jurassic park are still my favorite feel good movies; is that a bad thing?

BTW, Rite of Spring came up on my playlist just as I saw the comic and is playing as I write this. Gotta love Fantasia!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:Dinosaurs are like dragons, but even more awesome because they're real.
THIS! I was going to bring that up. Apparently there are also accounts of people finding dinosaur bones in China and deciding they were dragons. Also, heavy construction machinery is like dinosaurs, but made of metal!

Which begs the question - why did Jurassic Park not get kids really excited about birds? ;-)

also on digging Digging and digging digging - I sent that mega post to my dad.

fuffybaby18

Postby fuffybaby18 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote: Which begs the question - why did Jurassic Park not get kids really excited about birds? ;-)

Actually, it got me really interested in cassowaries, no joke. We read a book this spring called "Cassowary's Revenge" for a comparative religions class, and I was the only one who actually had a firm understanding of what a cassowary is. I didn't realize that not every child had a fascination with birds who could kick the shite out of you! O.o

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

basically I'm nearly certain that Randall is wrong here. Kids love dinosaurs, most KIDS didn't get to see Jurassic park because it's scary and there's blood and gore. Kids who already loved dinosaurs (but more adults who loved dinosaurs since they were kids) were drawn to this movie. I don't think this movie was THE thing that got most dinosaur lovers into dinosaurs.

Some how for me I'm going to say that this movie lent credence to the dinosaurs turning into birds argument for me personally as a kid. Not in any logical fashion mind you, but logic is only one of the tools of argument.

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

I'm kind of disappointed that he wrote "jumped the Icthyosaur" instead of "jumped the Carcharodon" or "jumped the Lamnidae", which is the proper name for the family of animals we commonly call "sharks".

Both Carcharodon and Icthyosaur are chordates, but they split at the Class level because icthyosaurs are Sauropsida and carcharodonts are Chondrichthyes.

The dinosaur point is lost a bit too because carcharodonts are actually extant, although I guess if you wanted to make the whole "living fossil" argument, you could try that...

dillo(armchair paleontologist)

Tatshua

Postby Tatshua » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

I've loved dinosaurs since as long as I can remember. I remember that the two-legged dinosaur always stood in the way they used to show dinosaurs (Do they still do that? Havent been to a toy-store in ages!) so I always tried to have them in a more scientificaly correct way.

I wasn't into dinosaurs before Jurassic park. My age never realy gave me a chance. I wish it had, though...

I'm more extended today, ofcourse, but dinosaurs still have that special part in my heart.

Monox D. I-Fly

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 am UTC

SandraL wrote:Wow, can I ever relate to this one. I wanted to be a paleontologist from the time I was 4 until I was about 14. Well, there was that brief distraction when I was 7 and wanted to be a tight-rope walker...

When I was a kid (Uphill! Both ways!), it wasn't cool to like dinosaurs. I was just weird. Gotta give today's kids some credit, though - we didn't know about as many dinosaurs back then, so it was much easier to keep track of 'em all. Sort of like memorizing the names of all the U.S. presidents...just keeps getting harder and harder.

Me, too. I never watched Jurassic Park, and my dream job as a kid was to become a paleontologist due to Discovery Channel.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”