0461: "Google Maps"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tobias104

0461: "Google Maps"

Postby tobias104 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:02 am UTC

http://xckd.com/461/
Alt Text: Apparently Google assumes you're traveling during the ferry's normal operating hours. We lost two hours circling that damn lake (to say nothing of the Straw Man).

I've had a few experiences like this, although not quite as crazy.

MoD

Re: "Google Maps" Discussion

Postby MoD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Took long enough for a topic.

This reminds me of an advertisement for some kind of SUV a while back--they had a little adventure game on their website.
Last edited by MoD on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:04 am UTC

This is pretty much every road trip of my life. Somehow they all end in abandoned barns asking for Charlie.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

hezekiah

Postby hezekiah » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Took long enough for the comic, too. First showed up for me at 11:02 Windows time.

Those trees in the second panel look pretty sweet.

Ahn

Postby Ahn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 am UTC

you know...google maps has yet to steer me wrong.

Mapquest on the other hand has fucked me over by about 1.5 hours (about 80 miles) out of my destination.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 am UTC

"CAREFUL"

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Don't know if it's google maps, or Mapquest, but if you ask for directions from Europe to someplace in America, it asks you to "Swim across the atlantic" and you end up on Long Pier in NYC.

I think they may have changed that though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

lucasbang

Postby lucasbang » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 am UTC

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 am UTC

GAH! IF ONLY IT WERE TRUE!

This is one of my favorites in a long while.

Whoa Moe

Postby Whoa Moe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I trust google maps with my directions, even if they usually include "stop at a damn gas station and ask for directions". Other than that it never fails me, mapquest sent me to a non-existent street! :evil:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 am UTC

God dang it.

I did discover that on my own, though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

x2percentmilk

Postby x2percentmilk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Man this comic hit close to home.
Just a month ago, I was down in Long Island (i live in connecticut)
On the way home we decided to use my GPS. It had us start out going east...I thought this was a bit dumb...considering how east led further from NYC, but considered it as a way to get around one ways and whatnot.
After about 20 minutes of various turns, still heading east...my girlfriend figured out how to zoom the map out and look at all of the directions.
The route line actually went halfway across long island, and then literaly went STRAIGHT UP THROUGH THE SOUND (yes...thats water) to connecticut.

Upon further investigation, the GPS was actually taking us to a port, to board a ferry.

I threw the GPS, spat out a few cuss words, and promptly did a U-Turn.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I think they took the swim across the Atlantic thing down because they figured enough people had seen it.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 am UTC

This reminds me. I was playing with my car's GPS unit, seeing what addresses I could enter. It allowed me to enter Hawaiian addresses and Canadian addresses, but not Alaskan ones. What kind of program is that?
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:16 am UTC

I'm I the only one reminded of old text based games (especially on direction 80 in the comic)?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:17 am UTC

malec2b wrote:I'm I the only one reminded of old text based games (especially on direction 80 in the comic)?

Pretty sure you are supposed to be.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Does anyone see any specific references in this, or are they all just generic references to thriller / horror / text adventure tropes?

. o O ( "It is very dark. You may be eaten by a generic reference." )
Last edited by scarletmanuka on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HistidineTheCat

Postby HistidineTheCat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:23 am UTC

You know, I'm actually disappointed there aren't more text-based adventure references.

Feels like the comic doesn't know where IT wants to go!

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:24 am UTC

HistidineTheCat wrote:Feels like the comic doesn't know where IT wants to go!

HIYO!

d3c31t

Postby d3c31t » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 am UTC

i trust my gps.. it never lies.. it tell me it never lies and i belive it because it never lies... but one time it lied to me... but it cant lie it never lies... i must have lied to me about it lieing to me.... im not worthy of the ever truthful gps.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................... screw google maps i have a gps
Last edited by d3c31t on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- All war is deception - Sun Tzu

ageekstory

Postby ageekstory » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:25 am UTC

A Geek Story - Daily Sketches < My daily geeky sketches

suso

Postby suso » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Oh this soooo relates to my life this week. On Monday I had to drive to New Jersey from Indiana and Google said it would take 12.5 hours. I thought that sounded wrong. It was more like 15-16 hours. Apparently they don't take into account stopping for gas and food, which on any trip longer than 4 hours, is probably going to take once or more. Plus, it didn't take into account that I would stuck in the big accident that stopped traffic on I-76 for hours in Philly on Monday night. That sucked majorly.

Have you seen that Google maps now has a "walk there" option?
Imagine theres no signatures....

mookowg

Postby mookowg » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Am I the only one who wonders if the straw man is the one from Ocarina of Time?
Lake Hylia, anyone?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 am UTC

mookowg wrote:Am I the only one who wonders if the straw man is the one from Ocarina of Time?
Lake Hylia, anyone?

Probably not. He was good people and I don't think he slept, so why would you not want to wake him up?

joee

Postby joee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Why does #79 says "Turn left", but have a right arrow?

P.S. Awesome comic :)
Hi glasnt.

crapsh00t

Postby crapsh00t » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 am UTC

suso wrote:Have you seen that Google maps now has a "walk there" option?

I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. It seems to know "pedestrian friendly" areas pretty well and will send you down those sidewalk only type of routes instead of making you walk along the road. Apparently it assumes a 3 mph standard walking speed, so it's handy for bike/skateboarding ETA calculations with a simple division.

And Google maps used to fail me routinely by putting addresses on the north side of my former town in the south somehow. Only serious lapse I've ever seen, and although depressing, it didn't cause any issues for locals at least. And it's still better than a quite recent debacle where my father and I found ourselves driving down 8 miles of partially graded, gravelled "road" that an AAA map depicted as fully paved and prepared. In an S2000. My brain was still vibrating hours afterwards.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 am UTC

ah this comic reminds me of good ol' mapquest adventures from when the program was in its infancy. You had to be very careful using that program. Now google maps is very good and ends up being accurate 99% of the time. I especially like the feature where you can drag and change your route incase you say want to avoid a specific road or bridge or the likes. That being said I always look at the map (with satellite images enabled) to one: ensure the road is actually there and two let me know what i am up against. Directions written out step by step are fine and dandy until you run into a problem as which point you are completely on your own. if you look at the map you can see where you (or the directions) went wrong and how to rectify the situation. Otherwise your only other option is waking the straw man.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

ssc

Postby ssc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 am UTC

My jaw dropped visibly when I read this latest post.

A few days ago I was driving from Rochester, NY to Burlington, VT to visit a friend, before continuing on to Montreal. I left after work which, naturally, meant I was arriving in Burlington shortly after midnight. I printed out the google directions as I left work, as usual ignoring the disclaimer, and started my drive - reading directions one step ahead. After about 6 hours or so of driving, I finally stopped and bothered to read all of the directions...much to my chagrin. There, a few steps from the end, was a ferry. Undeterred, and mostly unwilling to accept that google maps had so betrayed me (and stubborn in my refusal to turn around), I proceeded to the ferry...or at least, to the dock where the ferry should have been.

As I read the comic, I felt an eerie sense of familiarity. Those direction... Sure enough, I looked up the map again, and the directions were pretty much verbatim what google maps had instructed me to take (though I was forced to turn back before the mountain lions).

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 am UTC

God-damned spectral wolf. After that and having to make a stop in R'lyeh when I plotted my airline route on that site, I am never using Google Maps again.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Is this a reference to creepypasta from 4chan, perhaps? The Holders series, for instance. Here's the most famous:

In any city, in any country, go to any mental institution or halfway house you can get yourself to. When you reach the front desk, ask to visit someone who calls himself "The Holder of the End". Should a look of child-like fear come over the worker's face, you will then be taken to a cell in the building. It will be in a deep, hidden section of the building. All you will hear is the sound of someone talking to themselves echoing throughout the halls. It is in a language that you will not understand, but your very soul will feel unspeakable fear.

Should the talking stop at any time, STOP and QUICKLY say aloud, "I'm just passing through, I wish to talk." If you still hear silence, flee. Leave; don't stop for anything, don't go home, don't stay at an inn, just keep moving, sleeping wherever your body drops. You will know in the morning if you've escaped successfully.

If the voice in the hall returns after you utter those words, continue on. Upon reaching the cell, all you will see is a windowless room with a single man huddled in the corner, still talking endlessly and cradling something. The man will only respond to one question: "What happens when they all come together?"

The man will then stare intently into your eyes and answer your question in horrifying detail. Many go mad in that very cell; others disappear soon after the encounter, and still others end their lives. But most do the worst thing, and look upon the object in the person's hands. You, too, will be tempted. Be warned that if you do, your death will be one of cruelty and unrelenting horror.

Your death will be in that room, by that person's hands.

That object is 1 of 538. They must never come together. Never.

You can find more here: http://theholders.org/

WARNING: I don't personally find these instruction-style creepypasta to be very scary, but I have found that other kinds will keep me shuddering in bed. Don't read them unless you're prepared to sleep with weapons.

Zapheres

Postby Zapheres » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I trust everything except this Charlie character. If I were him, I'd stab me and go calm the dancing stones myself. Heck, they might give me some cash for it.

One of the bast comics I've seen on here, by the way.

NThisStyle-10-6

Postby NThisStyle-10-6 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Been there, done that, now own a GPS.

Thank you Google Maps, but that is NOT the easiest way to get to the Orpheum or Birmingham.

cyssero

Postby cyssero » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:19 am UTC

One of the best I've seen in a while.

Google Maps has led me astray many times.. but compared to my GPS I'm not sure what's worse.

I had a better post but the difficult CAPTCHA I had to navigate to register felt like I was trying to defeat the spectral wolf, so I am thoroughly drained.

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:26 am UTC

I once got directions from someone that included the step "turn right when you get to the field with the rabbit in it." And damned if there wasn't a rabbit in that field.

>You see ye flask.
>Get flask
>You can not get ye flask

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Aglet wrote:Is this a reference to creepypasta from 4chan, perhaps? The Holders series, for instance. Here's the most famous:

In any city, in any country, go to any mental institution or halfway house you can get yourself to. When you reach the front desk, ask to visit someone who calls himself "The Holder of the End". Should a look of child-like fear come over the worker's face, you will then be taken to a cell in the building. It will be in a deep, hidden section of the building. All you will hear is the sound of someone talking to themselves echoing throughout the halls. It is in a language that you will not understand, but your very soul will feel unspeakable fear.

Should the talking stop at any time, STOP and QUICKLY say aloud, "I'm just passing through, I wish to talk." If you still hear silence, flee. Leave; don't stop for anything, don't go home, don't stay at an inn, just keep moving, sleeping wherever your body drops. You will know in the morning if you've escaped successfully.

If the voice in the hall returns after you utter those words, continue on. Upon reaching the cell, all you will see is a windowless room with a single man huddled in the corner, still talking endlessly and cradling something. The man will only respond to one question: "What happens when they all come together?"

The man will then stare intently into your eyes and answer your question in horrifying detail. Many go mad in that very cell; others disappear soon after the encounter, and still others end their lives. But most do the worst thing, and look upon the object in the person's hands. You, too, will be tempted. Be warned that if you do, your death will be one of cruelty and unrelenting horror.

Your death will be in that room, by that person's hands.

That object is 1 of 538. They must never come together. Never.

WARNING: I don't personally find these instruction-style creepypasta to be very scary, but I have found that other kinds will keep me shuddering in bed. Don't read them unless you're prepared to sleep with weapons.

That series isn't creepy. It's awesome.

Though some parts of it really sound like I could get eaten by a grue.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:48 am UTC

wow, I was just using Google Maps, too.

I still intend to get lost though, just for old times' sake.

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Cute, I liked this one, though I have never really had trouble wit their directions.
Wonder why they took down swim across the Atlantic but left up Kayak across the Pacific?
Aglet wrote:[text ending with... ]That object is 1 of 538. They must never come together. Never.

WARNING: I don't personally find these instruction-style creepypasta to be very scary, but I have found that other kinds will keep me shuddering in bed. Don't read them unless you're prepared to sleep with weapons.[/quote]The stuff I see in a quick look at that link sounds a lot like that Sci-Fi channel miniseries, The Lost Room. Which came first?

krynd

Postby krynd » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:51 am UTC

I was sadly disappointed at the lack of a grue mention. Especially when he works in the fact that it's night into the story.

Anyone else notice that direction 78 has you going pi miles?
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:53 am UTC

A walkthrough/FAQ for real life. Neat!

I tried to use Google Earth to navigate on a trip across Canada recently, only to discover it does a poor job (at least on Linux). Nevermind the terrible graphic glitches (pretty well unusable with Compiz running, only barely usable without and only in fullscreen), it also didn't cache the actual road information, just the satellite images, and didn't save the directions or past searches. :roll: We did end up taking a ferry, and having to wait several hours for it, but it was pretty neat (with awesome weather). I lol'd at the silly people who were inside playing arcade games when they could have been out enjoying the air. :P
DSDM wrote:I once got directions from someone that included the step "turn right when you get to the field with the rabbit in it." And damned if there wasn't a rabbit in that field.
Happened to my dad once. "Turn left at the corner where the two horses are standing." "Well what if they aren't there?" "Oh, they'll be there." They were.

(And yeah, pi miles. Nice.)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 am UTC

This reminds me of the neighborhood D&D oriented scavenger hunts we had as kids. How is it that when you're under 18 it's considered "playing," but if you are over 18, you are branded a "LARPing" Nerd?"
Sigh. It seemed like a good idea at the time

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”