0465: "Quantum Teleportation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bmin
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 am UTC

0465: "Quantum Teleportation"

Postby bmin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Image

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/quantum_teleportation.png

Alt Text: Science should be exactly as cool as the headlines sound. Like the RUSSIANS CUT APART AND REASSEMBLE DOGS" thing".

And I thought everything worked like on TV! BTW Where can I buy a regular teleportation unit?
Last edited by bmin on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<(''<) ^('')^ (>'')>

User avatar
TheHand
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby TheHand » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 am UTC

THIS IS THE FUTURE!

And the Russians keeping that Dog's head alive... that video is freaky.

Volatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Volatar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:06 am UTC

It would be so hard to get the box on the other end to the Bahamas though these days. A box with a single switch? Bomb anyone?

Regardless, I want one :D

EDIT: Actually, I want 2.

bmin
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby bmin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Volatar wrote:It would be so hard to get the box on the other end to the Bahamas though these days. A box with a single switch? Bomb anyone?

Regardless, I want one :D


Ahh but you can do what the newspapers say and ship it! But it begs the question, could you just regular teleport the other box to there? Who says regular teleportation requires a machine on both ends.
<(''<) ^('')^ (>'')>

User avatar
AltoidAddict
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:39 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby AltoidAddict » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Scientific progress goes 'click?'

User avatar
madhollywood
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby madhollywood » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 am UTC

The title may be somewhat misleading, but there is something marvelous about a particle essentially existing in two places at once and utilizing this fact from quantum mechanics to "teleport" a particle over a sizeable distance. Quantum entangle is also awesome in that it may yield a way to transmit secure information instaneously over great distances.

I think if we set the bar at Star Trek technology we have set it too high even though I often wish I could teleport anywhere in the world. If we can just take these interesting scientific discoveries for what they are then one will notice that they are awesome in their own right.

MarioMaster151
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby MarioMaster151 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:10 am UTC

I want a quantum teleporter. Really badly. But until i find one, i guess i'll have to settle for my regular teleporter

User avatar
Leonsbuddydave
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Leonsbuddydave » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:11 am UTC

TheHand wrote:THIS IS THE FUTURE!

And the Russians keeping that Dog's head alive... that video is freaky.


I want a link to this video.

Should this be true, gas prices wouldn't mean bull anymore.
Shale wrote:It should go without saying that a movie where Stephen Hawking fights ninjas would likely be incredibly awesome. That's not the point.

Herman
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Herman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Alt Text: Science should be exactly as cool as the headlines sound. Like the RUSSIANS CUT APART AND REASSEMBLE DOGS&quot; thing.


Science is much much cooler than the headlines make it sound. Dumbing things down always makes them more boring, not less.

\[Sagan]

User avatar
Megums
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Megums » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 am UTC

*Wants*

And that Russian dog experiment freaked me the hell out. 'Twas creepy.

Headlines about the "Invisibility fabric" are pretty nifty though.

EDIT: The dog video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSrIkUXwsNk

User avatar
SwissArmyAnts
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby SwissArmyAnts » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 am UTC

bmin wrote:
Volatar wrote:It would be so hard to get the box on the other end to the Bahamas though these days. A box with a single switch? Bomb anyone?

Regardless, I want one :D


Ahh but you can do what the newspapers say and ship it! But it begs the question, could you just regular teleport the other box to there? Who says regular teleportation requires a machine on both ends.


Hello? He obviously must have run the cable between the two machines through the fax machine and sent the fax to his friend in the bahamas.
CALVINIST ARGUMENT, a.k.a. TERTULLIAN'S ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

User avatar
Leonsbuddydave
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Leonsbuddydave » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Okay, the dog video officially scared the hell out of me.Poor dog.
Shale wrote:It should go without saying that a movie where Stephen Hawking fights ninjas would likely be incredibly awesome. That's not the point.

bmin
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby bmin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Leonsbuddydave wrote:Okay, the dog video officially scared the hell out of me.Poor dog.


You know what? I'll take a time machine to go with my teleportation device. I REALLY wish I hadn't watched the video. I'm FREAKED out.
<(''<) ^('')^ (>'')>

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby sje46 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Is that dog's head video real?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
nyeguy
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby nyeguy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Haha, I was just talking about the odds of an object quantum teleporting earlier this afternoon.
Image

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby phlip » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Herman wrote:
Alt Text: Science should be exactly as cool as the headlines sound. Like the RUSSIANS CUT APART AND REASSEMBLE DOGS&quot; thing.


Science is much much cooler than the headlines make it sound. Dumbing things down always makes them more boring, not less.

\[Sagan]

Indeed... but I think this could be alleviated a bit by having better science reporters...

"Science shown to work, bitches, by COBE team"

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 am UTC

I think the main problem comes from sci fi writers using "quantum" whenever they want something to sound fancy, where really "quantum torpedo" barely means anything.

ParanoidDrone
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 am UTC
Location: idk ask my bff jill

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:29 am UTC

...

I don't get it. ;_;
Insert witty phrase here.

User avatar
KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:04 pm UTC
Location: Port Láirge, Éire
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby KingLoser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I just thought of the Quantum Leap theme tune.

It's 5.30am.... Thank you!
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby sje46 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:39 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:...

I don't get it. ;_;

Am experiment was done with quantum teleportation, and the reporter is excited until the scientist tells him that it's not like Star Trek teleportation, and that the phrase "quantum teleportation" is misleading, since no real teleportation is involved. But there is real teleportation, bu he didn't mention it because they were talking about "quantum teleportation".

Firefox doesn't accept "teleportation".
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

ParanoidDrone
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 am UTC
Location: idk ask my bff jill

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby ParanoidDrone » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:50 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Am experiment was done with quantum teleportation, and the reporter is excited until the scientist tells him that it's not like Star Trek teleportation, and that the phrase "quantum teleportation" is misleading, since no real teleportation is involved. But there is real teleportation, bu he didn't mention it because they were talking about "quantum teleportation".

Firefox doesn't accept "teleportation".

*watches explanation fly over my head*

I think I get it...sort of.
Insert witty phrase here.

User avatar
Zinc Elemental
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Zinc Elemental » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Yeah, Star Trek teleportation would be cooler than forcing an object on the opposite end to become exactly like the original (destroying the original in the process). Thing is, quantum teleportation is obviously quite possible (but incredibly impractical for anything but particles) while the Star Trek type is not.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby sje46 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:
sje46 wrote:Am experiment was done with quantum teleportation, and the reporter is excited until the scientist tells him that it's not like Star Trek teleportation, and that the phrase "quantum teleportation" is misleading, since no real teleportation is involved. But there is real teleportation, bu he didn't mention it because they were talking about "quantum teleportation".

Firefox doesn't accept "teleportation".

*watches explanation fly over my head*

I think I get it...sort of.

Well, it's just ironic because he was excited about the quantum teleportation, when there was regular, star trek teleportation.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

shash
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:59 am UTC
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby shash » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Zinc Elemental wrote:Yeah, Star Trek teleportation would be cooler than forcing an object on the opposite end to become exactly like the original (destroying the original in the process). Thing is, quantum teleportation is obviously quite possible (but incredibly impractical for anything but particles) while the Star Trek type is not.


Is not possible or is not incredibly impractical?

That "is not" conveys more meaning than one phrase should... :lol:
Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.
-- first handbook issued with the Curtis-Wright flyer.

User avatar
Enigma90825
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:19 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Enigma90825 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Freaky, the only reason I'm up right now is because I'm writing a report on quantum mechanics and all that stuff. I think I woke a couple people when I started laughing because of this! :lol:
I am not here... isn't "here" just "there" without the T?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby phlip » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:32 am UTC

shash wrote:Is not possible or is not incredibly impractical?

That "is not" conveys more meaning than one phrase should... :lol:

Warning: I know very little about QM, and understand even less... this is mostly cribbed from Wikipedia... it could very easily be entirely wrong. If it is, then I expect someone will correct it all soon enough...

Well, from me reading of the Wikipedia page, the source and destination particles have to be entangled... but, unless I'm reading it wrong, you can't entangle two particles after-the-fact... that's something that has to be arranged when the particles are created. Or something.

So I think you could, theoretically, make a bunch of entangled pairs, and build an object out of one particle from each pair... then teleport the object to the others... though it wouldn't be even remotely practical. But if you had an already-existing object you wanted to teleport, then you're pretty much SOL. Also, you can't teleport it to an arbitrary place... only to where the entangled particles are (and you have to get them there in a more classical way).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

asuffield
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby asuffield » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 am UTC

shash wrote:Is not possible or is not incredibly impractical?


Is not possible. This is known as the "no-teleportation theorem", and the rules of quantum mechanics have been shown to enforce it. Calling this curious effect "quantum teleportation" is the scientists' idea of a joke, because it's not teleportation. "Quantum signalling" would have been a more accurate name, but when you discover something in science, you earn the right to make a bad joke with its name.

madhollywood wrote:The title may be somewhat misleading, but there is something marvelous about a particle essentially existing in two places at once and utilizing this fact from quantum mechanics to "teleport" a particle over a sizeable distance.


It doesn't teleport particles at all, it teleports information. You start with two entangled particles, and carry one to each end. You feed some information into the first particle and it pops out of the second one. No particles move during this process. If your information is quantum then you're done; if it's encoded classical information then you can't do anything with it until the "key" arrives from the sender via a classical channel.

Quantum teleportation is not:

  • a way to move matter
  • a way to move energy
  • a way to move classical information without a physical, classical connection between the endpoints while you transmit the information - you can use radio or copper or fibre or pigeons or anything you like, but you have to use something, and you have to use it after you send the quantum information and before you measure it
  • a way to move anything faster than the speed of light
  • a way to move classical information faster than the speed of your classical connection

All of these things have been proven impossible by the rules of quantum physics.

Quantum teleportation is:

  • a funky kind of one-time pad, as used in cryptography, with no security advantages over the classical implementation (it may be faster or cheaper when the technology has been fully developed - or it may not)
  • a way to connect elements in a quantum computer

There may be other applications, but we haven't thought of any yet, at least so far as I've heard. It's really not anything useful, unless you're building a quantum computer.

User avatar
Zinc Elemental
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Zinc Elemental » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 am UTC

shash wrote:
Zinc Elemental wrote:Yeah, Star Trek teleportation would be cooler than forcing an object on the opposite end to become exactly like the original (destroying the original in the process). Thing is, quantum teleportation is obviously quite possible (but incredibly impractical for anything but particles) while the Star Trek type is not.


Is not possible or is not incredibly impractical?

That "is not" conveys more meaning than one phrase should... :lol:


My bad. The Star Trek type is not possible.

phlip wrote:Warning: I know very little about QM, and understand even less... this is mostly cribbed from Wikipedia... it could very easily be entirely wrong. If it is, then I expect someone will correct it all soon enough...

Well, from me reading of the Wikipedia page, the source and destination particles have to be entangled... but, unless I'm reading it wrong, you can't entangle two particles after-the-fact... that's something that has to be arranged when the particles are created. Or something.

So I think you could, theoretically, make a bunch of entangled pairs, and build an object out of one particle from each pair... then teleport the object to the others... though it wouldn't be even remotely practical. But if you had an already-existing object you wanted to teleport, then you're pretty much SOL. Also, you can't teleport it to an arbitrary place... only to where the entangled particles are (and you have to get them there in a more classical way).


The problem with recreating it is that you need to send over the exact state of each particle. WIth one photon, that's comparatively easy. WIth an object, not only do you need to transmit the state of every object, but it's relation to the others. That's the hard part.

If anyone has more knowledge than I do on the subject, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Ahn
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:08 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Ahn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Steve Urkel had something going on in the teleportation department i last remembered

Kalos
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Kalos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 am UTC

AltoidAddict wrote:Scientific progress goes 'click?'

This must be old technology, everybody knows scientific progress goes 'boink'

User avatar
KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:04 pm UTC
Location: Port Láirge, Éire
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby KingLoser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Kalos wrote:
AltoidAddict wrote:Scientific progress goes 'click?'

This must be old technology, everybody knows scientific progress goes 'boink'


I always imagined "poof"...
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

asuffield
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby asuffield » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Zinc Elemental wrote:The problem with recreating it is that you need to send over the exact state of each particle. WIth one photon, that's comparatively easy. WIth an object, not only do you need to transmit the state of every object, but it's relation to the others. That's the hard part.


On the level of quantum physics, it is impossible - no method can exist that accomplishes this, without discovering a new level of physics even weirder than the quantum one. That's the "no-teleportation theorem". You cannot transmit the entire state of any object - you can't even measure it in the first place. The best you can manage is to create a similar object, and to design your objects such that "similar" is good enough.

Smidge
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Smidge » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 am UTC

asuffield wrote:but when you discover something in science, you earn the right to make a bad joke with its name.

My favourite is Gluon.

User avatar
choginga
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby choginga » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 am UTC

I thought star trek teleportation wasn't actual teleportation either. I thought it was where you are destroyed at one end and then reassembled at the other end using the information that was transmitted.

vish
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby vish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:36 am UTC

should have been titled
"Sund. explns"

Exenon
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:29 pm UTC
Location: Right behind you !!

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Exenon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Quantum teleportation IS awesome ! I'm sorry for all the bad reporter out there, but it is really amazing. It means, you can transfer information instantly ! This is one of the major problems of space communication : through the classic way, information is an electro-magnetic wave, that travels with light-speed. That's terribly boring, because nowadays, there are satellites that have been travelling for 30 years (the two voyager guys :D) and thus are quite a bit away from earth. The information takes a lot of time to come to its destination, and the same time to come back.
BUT, with quantum teleportation, this is no longer a problem, its instant ! But there are a lot of even cooler applications, if you think about it. I dont know if this is really possible, but theoretically, you could just take whatever cable there is between two objects, cut it in two pieces, put a teleporter on each end and travel around with the second half ! Ie., you could take a monitor and a keyboard with you, but have your desktop at home, making the work, connected by teleporter to your monitor and keyboard ! Or have some earphones that are connected with your music database at home ! 1TB music everywhere you go, just in the size of your headphones ! Wouldn't that be awesome ?

I dont know if my examples are valid and if you could actually realize them , but that is what occurred to me while reading this thread. What is the expert's opinion ? Could you do it ?
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Game_boy
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Game_boy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:58 am UTC

I think the entire discipline of physics exists to stop the average person getting overexcited about impossible things by tying it up in complicated terminology and apparently conflicting interpretations.

All of these are possible, with caveats that prevent us exploiting them:

- Instantaneous transfer of information (but not so we can use it to send messages)
- Time travel (only from a mathematical viewpoint)
- Teleportation (but nothing actually moves; it's just the quantum state being transferred)
- FTL travel (but slower-than-light particles can't cross the lightspeed barrier unless they already have)
- Wormholes (but not stable enough to use them)
- Unlimited cheap clean energy in the form of fusion (but we can't contain the resulting plasma)
- Alchemy (but the energy cost and accuracy needed is too high)

Anything else?
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Game_boy
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby Game_boy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Exenon wrote: ... It means, you can transfer information instantly ! ... I dont know if my examples are valid and if you could actually realize them , but that is what occurred to me while reading this thread. What is the expert's opinion ? Could you do it ?


NO; instantaneous useful information transfer is impossible. The output is random noise that can't be interpreted without information from normal-speed communications. Sorry.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

User avatar
grythyttan
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:46 pm UTC
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.
Contact:

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby grythyttan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Exenon wrote: ... It means, you can transfer information instantly ! ... I dont know if my examples are valid and if you could actually realize them , but that is what occurred to me while reading this thread. What is the expert's opinion ? Could you do it ?


NO; instantaneous useful information transfer is impossible. The output is random noise that can't be interpreted without information from normal-speed communications. Sorry.


I don't get why this is impossible. If everyone agreed on a universal code from the start, wouldn't it be possible once you get the particle to where you want it? Or does the output vary even if you give the same input? What if you give no input, will there still be random output? If not, wouldn't it be possible to use it like an old-time telegraph and write in morsecode, or binary?

gzero
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:31 am UTC

Re: Quantum Teleportation

Postby gzero » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 am UTC

When I read the comic I had to register to the forums to link this very appropriate news item:
Scientists use magic to study the brain


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 87 guests