0466: "Moving"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SEE

Re: Moving

Postby SEE » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Steve K wrote:Seriously?
Most of you are still broadcasting your SSID?

Not broadcasting breaks the 802.11 spec and gives both Windows and a number of spec-conforming devices fits. At the same time, it adds zero security, since sniffing non-broadcast SSIDs is trivial. So why would you turn off SSID broadcast?

The Coincidence

Postby The Coincidence » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:04 am UTC

I named my network "Super Happy Fun Time Network". It's gotten giggles before. It also makes it all the more frustrating for the sneaks that can't figure out how to access it, since it's super happy and all.

Cortelyou

Postby Cortelyou » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:26 am UTC

SEE wrote:
Most of you are still broadcasting your SSID?

Not broadcasting breaks the 802.11 spec and gives both Windows and a number of spec-conforming devices fits. At the same time, it adds zero security, since sniffing non-broadcast SSIDs is trivial. So why would you turn off SSID broadcast?

Yeah, I use Network Stumbler. Testing it just now, there is a new network in the area, just barely within range, and it's unsecured to boot. If it weren't so late I would investigate.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:11 am UTC

Randall doe sit again. I finally got the internet connection in my apartment working two days ago (was supposed to start working last Monday, but it turns out some wires verent connected to the apartment building's main router so had to wait till those got fixed).

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:28 am UTC

I just moved into my dorm today and it took me the longest time to get to the interblags. What's the first page I go to? Why xkcd of course!

It's like he's inside my head or something O.o
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I liked to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the wifi pirate of rhode island

See I moved to Rhode Island in spring of 2007 was too broke for internet after I paid the apartment down for a couple months and the bills like electricity. IT SUCKED with no net, but then one day... I noticed the neighbors had open wifi. I had to set on the orch to use it but it was there. This continued for awhile but the signal got erratic and the net went down.

For some reason all I could do was browse the lan. Well their router config had the default passwords. I logged in to poke around. Something odd I noticed was the internet gateway wasn't the same as the wireless router. So I tried logging into the internet gateway. It was also a router! A wep protected one with wireless access to the config turned off!

What had happened was someone who knew what they were doing had went ahead and made the that wireless network secure, aside from the wep instead of wpa they did a really good job. Then some joker came along and plugged in an unsecured router into that masterpiece of security. The reason I could access it was my traffic was being routed through the unsecured router which was physical plugged into the secured one. So it looked I was on a wired connection to it.

Seeing the awesomeness of the situation I copied down the wep password and reconnected to the secured router.

Good thing too, about a week later the unsecured router vanished.

Sometimes I wonder if it was the ghost of linksys sent to help me in my time of need. Having helped me it moved on to protect other souls in trouble.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

The linksys in the mouseover is so true. I don't know what I'd do without my neighbor's wireless when mine fails. :D

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Rhode Island? Given its size, I'm somewhat certain that you could have one open router and the entire state would be able to access it.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

LegoMyth

Postby LegoMyth » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Heh.
I love people with unsercured WiFi. Out where my relatives live, there was, for some months, one of those dearly beloved "linksys" networks. But then, a couple months ago, they had learned about encryption... So that, even though it was still "linksys", it was password-protected, and my lifeline had died.

I, on the other hand, moved into my dorm the other day and promptly set up my WiFi router.
There is an unsecured "hpsetup" somewhere in range of me... I really want to mess with it, but I don't know enough to pull it off just yet. Sigh. But I do think I may play name games with my own router... It'll be amusing to see what reactions are had.

Gratheo

Postby Gratheo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

This is so true.
Actually I have two routers, one which is secured and I normally use, and another with a limited connection that's unsecured, to help out any techie-hobos or people who need quiet unmonitored internet for a short while.

And yes, it's named 'linksys'. Just a way to pay it forward, is all. It's a great feeling and it's hardly used, so it's not like it puts any real crimp in the network.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Gratheo wrote:This is so true.
Actually I have two routers, one which is secured and I normally use, and another with a limited connection that's unsecured, to help out any techie-hobos or people who need quiet unmonitored internet for a short while.

And yes, it's named 'linksys'. Just a way to pay it forward, is all. It's a great feeling and it's hardly used, so it's not like it puts any real crimp in the network.

This is actually a great idea. Might do that myself once I get my router, if I can figure out how to set these things up.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

sparkster

Postby sparkster » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Crazy idea:
I'm hoping your familiar with the concept of a "Solar Death Ray", if not, I suggest you Google it,
Anyway, my idea was a WIFI Deathray; instead of using mirrors to reflect the suns rays, you could use hundreds of tiny squares of metal to focus the wireless onto your focal point where you have you receiver. It would be the same basic principle as a satellite dish, but it would be far cheaper, and easier to make, because instead of one large piece of metal, there are many small ones.

Possible Caveat: If the metal was reflective, you could end up melting your receiver on a sunny day!

Giant impractical Idea

Same principle, but instead of small squares of metal, you get large sheets, possibly alfoil stretched over some sort of frame, and spread them over a large area. Once again, all aligned towards one receiver, which would have to be pretty large, because I imagine you wouldn't be able to aim as well. Still, you would essentially have one very, very, very, large antenna

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Dial-up. It works.

incripshin

Postby incripshin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:28 am UTC

As much as I appreciate the kind souls named 'linksys', I will never be one of them. I enjoy turning all the knobs up all the way, to get WPA2 with a 1024 bit key or something ridiculous. Just because I can. I also don't like people finding their way into my network. Perhaps one day when I know what I'm doing a bit better, I can set up the network so that unprivileged people can still see the internet at dialup speeds, but cannot see any traffic from the privileged, encrypted users. Is that even possible using a single SSID, though?

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:13 am UTC

GET OUT OF MY LIFE RANDALL

I just moved into a new apartment yesterday, and was up well past midnight (and then again early in the morning) conversing with Indian call centers trying to get my internet to work. Never stand between a geek and his internet connectivity.

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Most of you are still broadcasting your SSID? :shock:

I guess I'm just paranoid -- My SSID is not broacast, I've got MAC address filtering on, and I'm using WPA with a pseudorandom 60[*]-character key that I generated using OpenOffice.org Calc.

I have SSID broadcast disabled, as well as MAC-address filtering turned on. Only 3 addresses can connect: two laptops and my iPod Touch.

Is there any benefit to enabling WPA at this point? Or does the MAC filtering basically take care of that?
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

xaeon

Postby xaeon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

I've never had the "he's reading my mind" before, until now. I moved on Tuesday, and it's a nightmare waiting for BT to activate our phone line so that we can get the internet. I'm going mad trying to get online. Currently at my girlfriend's parent's house to check all my bits and bobs. But, yeah, at least I now know everything there is to know about every Olympic event thanks to there being no internet.
SIG 404 - Signature not found

russianspy1234

Postby russianspy1234 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

i had unsecured for a while (NETGEAR not linksys) however, someone was connecting and seriously slowing down my connection, rather than go through all the trouble of figuring out who it was, i slapped a password on it. theres an unsecured linksys near my apartment anyway, but its not close enough to be comfortable to use for me. i used to use it for my wii system updates before i got my router, and it would often lose connection halfway through, not fun.

aeflash

Postby aeflash » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Why Two Kay wrote:Is there any benefit to enabling WPA at this point? Or does the MAC filtering basically take care of that?

Someone could still sniff your packets and see what you're browsing. But usually anything important is transferred through SSL, so don't worry about ID theft.

I've found if you move into a new complex, and you see secured wireless networks, usually if you knock on people's doors and ask to borrow their wireless for a week, they'll usually let you. And then you have a backup connection if you're dies later on for whatever reason.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

aeflash wrote:I've found if you move into a new complex, and you see secured wireless networks, usually if you knock on people's doors and ask to borrow their wireless for a week, they'll usually let you. And then you have a backup connection if you're dies later on for whatever reason.

Ask people... to borrow.... their internet?

...why the heck didn't I think of that earlier? What a concept!
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

MirrorWing wrote:
aeflash wrote:I've found if you move into a new complex, and you see secured wireless networks, usually if you knock on people's doors and ask to borrow their wireless for a week, they'll usually let you. And then you have a backup connection if you're dies later on for whatever reason.

Ask people... to borrow.... their internet?

...why the heck didn't I think of that earlier? What a concept!

I should start doing that, it makes so much sense.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 am UTC

This. Just...this.

I just finished a two-day drive to Portland (where I will be going to college). I really need to make something like the cantenna so I can have some success at clicking links, waiting to find "linksys", "belkin54g", "days inn", or "NETGEAR", connecting, and refreshing my links.

I got used to the dirty looks from my family when the first thing after "Hi, nice to see you again" is "What's your wireless key, or will I need the ethernet cable?" T_T I need the internet, or I'll wither away! You guys should know that already!

And yes, there should be some sort of holiday or recognition for all those kind souls and businesses who don't protect their internet.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Eleyras wrote:I need the internet, or I'll wither away! You guys should know that already!

That reminds me... a few months back, I flew to Oklahoma to be on this internet radio show as one of their two special guests. I stayed with the owner of the station, RJ Evans, in his house in buttfuck-middle-of-nowhere Norman, OK. His property was so large, I honestly couldn't see the next closest house. I mean, honestly, the guy had a lake in his front yard.

I was there for three days. During those three days, I went shopping, I got a makeover and got all dolled-up for the show (The show had a webcam up for anyone who wanted to see into the studio, and the host requested I appear on the show as a naughty school girl), talked to all the hosts and performers and their family, watched a ton of movies, etc... and despite the fact that I was only alone when I went to sleep each night, I still got completely twitchy because despite the fact that RJ didn't have a neighbor within 1/4 of a mile, he still had his wireless network secured.

Crie. T_T

Very first thing I did when I got to the airport at the end of the trip was pull out my laptop and mooch off of their free wi-fi. Cincinnati Airport, I thank you for your free wifi and laptop recharging stations. <3 You are luv. (I would have mooched off of the Oklahoma Airport, too, but I got caught up with talking to the other guest star, and almost missed my plane... whoops...)
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Spoiler:

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:42 am UTC

This article from Dan's Data strikes me as being particularly poignant:

http://dansdata.com/gz080.htm

Strongly recommended reading.

Why Two Kay wrote:I have SSID broadcast disabled, as well as MAC-address filtering turned on. Only 3 addresses can connect: two laptops and my iPod Touch.

Is there any benefit to enabling WPA at this point? Or does the MAC filtering basically take care of that?

As mentioned above, this isn't really a very effective security (plus the standardistas tend to cry at people who don't broadcast SSIDs). It'll only block out the laziest people anyway.

It's reasonably trivial to sniff packets and capture the allowed MAC addresses. Once that's been done, they can spoof their MAC address so your router accepts it.

WPA shouldn't be too onerous to set up, and you can still keep MAC filtering on to allow another level of control.
Son of a bit!

bellemarematt

Postby bellemarematt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:56 am UTC

this comic immediately relates to my situation. i'm dorming in a six person suite this year at school and all of us are pretty knowledgeable about computers and two are computer science majors. we're having a situation with our internet where we can't get it to work with our preferred configurations

kaeles

Postby kaeles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 am UTC

This comic makes me laugh, before I had my current job working for a wisp, I had built an antennae for my wifi card out of card board and aluminum foil. It worked pretty well, but I couldn't quite get whole 4 blocks to the college, so I built one out of an old beans can and a dish network dish.

Of course, with the antennae I have to connect to our wisp network, I can see probably ~30 or 40 unsecured networks at all times. Then again, the link to our tower is ~4 miles, so my antennae is insane :P

Oh, btw, the world record is something like ... 250km link with 20mbps full duplex IIRC.

in buttfuck-middle-of-nowhere Norman, OK

HAHAHA, wow, norman is a HUGE town compared to most in oklahoma. Most of the people who buy our wireless internet don't have a house with 2 or 3 miles of each other.

The population in the town I'm in goes from 14k people to 10k during the summer due to the college letting out. Its kinda sad.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 am UTC

kaeles wrote:HAHAHA, wow, norman is a HUGE town compared to most in oklahoma. Most of the people who buy our wireless internet don't have a house with 2 or 3 miles of each other.

Well, to Norman's defense, I'm pretty sure RJ lived on the very outskirts of Norman. I mean, it took us twenty minutes to drive to the nearest Target, and that was with minimal traffic...

But still, jeebus... maybe it's just a side-effect of living in NY for 18 years, but it was just so...rural. o__o I really didn't see why he felt the need to put such security on his network, other than the possibility that he had routed some station stuff through it.

I did, however, steal his network name for my own. When he's not running his radio station, he's a storm chaser, so he named his network "StormNet". I thought it was so epic a name I had to claim it for my own when I got wireless.

Spoiler:

joeyhndc

Postby joeyhndc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Woo, first ever xkcd forum post!
I named my wifi "A series of tubes" because of the giggles it gives me when windows tells me "connecting to a series of tubes.... connected to a series of tubes". I'm thinking of making the router password "itsnotadumptruck".
My netbook is named minimEee.

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:00 am UTC

joeyhndc wrote:Woo, first ever xkcd forum post!
I named my wifi "A series of tubes" because of the giggles it gives me when windows tells me "connecting to a series of tubes.... connected to a series of tubes". I'm thinking of making the router password "itsnotadumptruck".
My netbook is named minimEee.

[Insert declaration of luv for you here]

[Insert congratulations on your first forum post here]

Spoiler:

SeanH

Postby SeanH » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Considering I may soon move to a little town in NC, this strikes a little too close to home. If anyone knows about wireless in Roxboro, NC, I'd like to know. :P

The 54GL sitting in the corner of my bedroom is named Tomato. I'll probably keep that in the future, if anyone happens upon it.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Once upon a time, a fine, unwitting beauty salon in front of my apartment had a 'linksys', no-password router.

Then they went out of business.

For months I've kept on searching for an open network - only to get WEP22, WEP53, etc. Now, believe you me I've tried getting DSL or *something* better than dial up from my ISP (verizon, small wonder), but for some convoluted reason they can't (?). And they're the only ISP in the area. Yet when I look for networks there are about 10... :? Well. It's me and the free-wifi-boba-cafés from now on.

PS, re: neighborhood jokes about networks - my sister's neighbor's network is name "Don't you fuck with it!" It's still open but I guess they had people hacking as previously mentioned?
Also, would it be so wrong to offer my neighbor 10 bucks a month for his WEP password?

ian

Postby ian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 am UTC

KingLoser wrote:hahaha. YES.

We had a crappy old wireless adapter wired and selotaped to a crappy old Sky Digital satelite, and brought it to 3 different apartments for this alone.

At it's peak we got nearly a kilometer.....

Aren't sky satelite dishes just receivers though? How did you manage to transmit that far?

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:11 am UTC

ian wrote:
KingLoser wrote:hahaha. YES.

We had a crappy old wireless adapter wired and selotaped to a crappy old Sky Digital satelite, and brought it to 3 different apartments for this alone.

At it's peak we got nearly a kilometer.....

Aren't sky satelite dishes just receivers though? How did you manage to transmit that far?

The satelite was only the shape I think, and we had it 'flectored up mass-eeev. I actually have no idea of the mechanics behind it, I made the pizza.

Seriously though, I'll sell it to ya.

EDIT: There was line-of-sight.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

crimsonchin

Postby crimsonchin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:25 am UTC

netsplit wrote:
Spoiler:
Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I liked to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the wifi pirate of rhode island

See I moved to Rhode Island in spring of 2007 was too broke for internet after I paid the apartment down for a couple months and the bills like electricity. IT SUCKED with no net, but then one day... I noticed the neighbors had open wifi. I had to set on the orch to use it but it was there. This continued for awhile but the signal got erratic and the net went down.

For some reason all I could do was browse the lan. Well their router config had the default passwords. I logged in to poke around. Something odd I noticed was the internet gateway wasn't the same as the wireless router. So I tried logging into the internet gateway. It was also a router! A wep protected one with wireless access to the config turned off!

What had happened was someone who knew what they were doing had went ahead and made the that wireless network secure, aside from the wep instead of wpa they did a really good job. Then some joker came along and plugged in an unsecured router into that masterpiece of security. The reason I could access it was my traffic was being routed through the unsecured router which was physical plugged into the secured one. So it looked I was on a wired connection to it.

Seeing the awesomeness of the situation I copied down the wep password and reconnected to the secured router.

Good thing too, about a week later the unsecured router vanished.

Sometimes I wonder if it was the ghost of linksys sent to help me in my time of need. Having helped me it moved on to protect other souls in trouble.

Did anyone else continue reading the whole story to the tune of fresh prince?

MirrorWing

Postby MirrorWing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

faunablues wrote:PS, re: neighborhood jokes about networks - my sister's neighbor's network is name "Don't you fuck with it!" It's still open but I guess they had people hacking as previously mentioned?
Also, would it be so wrong to offer my neighbor 10 bucks a month for his WEP password?

Hah, you know, when I first got my wireless router, my roommate wanted me to name my network something along those lines...why? Because, in his opinion, people actually listen to that and wouldn't mess with it. :roll: Sounds like an invitation to me...

And, well, you could try what eflash said earlier.. you could just try asking to borrow it? And that's not really wrong... hell, if someone wants to pay $10 a month for my internet, they're MORE than welcome to. That's money to eat something other than ramen for once. (SO sick of ramen...)

Spoiler:

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Excerpt from a PM:
kira wrote:Well, but if he never comes up with new comics, he'll run out of the queue! And since he works for himself, he's got to set his own self-imposed goals of how much funny to have each week. I mean, I assume it's something like that.

Randy, We have to talk about your funny productivity. I'm worried about the coming weeks, the queue is growing thin.

Awe gee, I'm sorry Mr. Munroe, I'm trying, it's just hard to keep it up sometimes. You gotta trust me though, I won't let that queue run out.

We've all noticed around the office that you've been goofing off a lot, hanging out too long by the water cooler, Randy, I don't know, I think I might give Randall the head writer position.

Don't say that Mr. Munroe! I won't let you down, but you can't squeeze art from a stone! Besides, Randall doesn't have that emotional flair, that connection with the readers that I do!

(Enter Randall) Hi Randy! Hi Mr. Munroe! I've got this great mathematics comic I'm working on, I'm thinking of making it a short serial. It's all about -e being in love with Radian Pi!

(Mr. Munroe and Randy look at each other knowingly, smirk and roll their eyes.)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

DMJ

Postby DMJ » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 am UTC

I had a flat which had been blacklisted by every available ISP because of the previous tenants' habit of not paying for anything... ever.

Belkin54g unknowingly came to the rescue.

I was so grateful that I updated the firmware, set time and date, and configured it properly.

Apart from the password. Obviously.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 am UTC

God...
This is beyond "get out of my head, Randall."

This is more like...
"GET OUT OF MY ****ing LIFE RANDALL"

I'm posting this from linksys right now :D
Spoiler:

Willis888

Postby Willis888 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

ian wrote:Aren't sky satelite dishes just receivers though? How did you manage to transmit that far?

A parabolic dish will reflect your signal in the direction you point it. Without a dish, your antenna would broadcast a bubble with itself in the center; with a dish, your antenna will broadcast an oval shaped signal with itself near one tip.

This page has some info on how to set up a primestar dish to work with a wireless router, and at the bottom of the page is a picture that shows how the signal is modified when transmitting by using the dish.
/` \/ `\
\`<3`./
'.'~'.'
\/

wst

Postby wst » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

If you're going for style, Have a few cans of beer, and build a double biquad beerquad antenna- like this : http://demi0urgos.livejournal.com/5924.html
If I get around to making one, I'll call my AP whatever the brand on the antenna is...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”