0466: "Moving"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Re: Moving

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 am UTC

xquared
Location: canada, but would like to be in the town of Fucking

Postby xquared » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

don't mean to revive an old thread or anything but it's sort of funny
i moved to this new place for a week now. still hasn't got my own internet hooked up... mainly because everything in this damn town closes way to early
so i've been leeching most of the time. i could be found sitting the stairwell trying to catch that one unsecured wireless...
maybe i should learn to make myself a cantenna? ANY one got a working design?
X_x² ... ò_Ô

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 am UTC

xquared wrote:don't mean to revive an old thread or anything but it's sort of funny
i moved to this new place for a week now. still hasn't got my own internet hooked up... mainly because everything in this damn town closes way to early
so i've been leeching most of the time. i could be found sitting the stairwell trying to catch that one unsecured wireless...
maybe i should learn to make myself a cantenna? ANY one got a working design?

Well...
Not sure about the cantenna, but I think it'd probably be your best bet to go higher, try a different room, or go for a interwebz raid around the neighborhood in your car.

Protip: Do not do anything involving loud shouting (i.e. Counter Strike) while parked in a parking lot next to a guy's house while leeching their internet. At 2 AM.)
Spoiler:

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Fin Archangel wrote:Protip: Do not do anything involving loud shouting (i.e. Counter Strike) while parked in a parking lot next to a guy's house while leeching their internet. At 2 AM.)

Duly noted.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 am UTC

MirrorWing wrote:
Fin Archangel wrote:Protip: Do not do anything involving loud shouting (i.e. Counter Strike) while parked in a parking lot next to a guy's house while leeching their internet. At 2 AM.)

Duly noted.

I'm not sure how many people here know what I'm talking about, but at the StarCraft OSL Finals in Korea, the guys down at SC2GG were doing a dual commentary. One of the commentators, who goes by Moletrap, was sitting in a car in his university parking lot at 1-4 in the morning screaming at his computer with his window rolled down and he remarked that "these guys walked by and gave me a funny look" or something to that effect. He also mentioned something about a hot chick.

Too bad that never happens when I do it.

Actually, I've only done it once. With a friend's car. The friend was in it, of course.
Spoiler:

lambda_warrior

Postby lambda_warrior » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I was just re-reading some xkcds on random (not like I have 10^5 OTHER THINGS to do), and hit this comic. When it was first posted it was one of those "get out of my head!" moments, since I moved across the country six months ago -- to an apartment that had advertised wifi! -- and had to spend the first two weeks arguing with Verizon (on that archaic device called a telephone) because the roommate hadn't actually set it up yet and was too incompetent to do so herself. But whenever I see this comic again, I also get an additional gut punch of that feeling of utter helplessness that I had, because there was no "linksys" to be found: I had to walk two blocks down the street with a miserably failing laptop battery to get unsecured wireless until said battery failed twenty minutes later. And it was then I realized how dependent I was on the Internet when in a brand-new city.

Need to go to the grocery store? Need googlemaps.
Need to register for classes? Need online access.
Need furniture? Need craigslist.
Need to advertise tutoring services as a day job? Also need craigslist.
Other jobhunting? Try it without the Internet.
Finding a car mechanic? Can't do it without cartalk.com.
Finding a local library where they have terrible hours and no parking but the wonderful manna of Internet access? Need the Internet to do it.
Finding the phone number of the gas company because the gas stopped working after said incompetent roommate (and subletter) was too incompetent to pay the bill? Internet search.
Not to mention the zillion or so things in my daily life that I just turn to google to ask about, or trying to keep in touch with friends who are 3,000 miles away and don't do this "phone" thing....

Needless to say, I spent a lot of time calling my family and saying, "Hey, I know it's 2 am your time, but can you look this up for me?" I've backpacked through China and not missed my computer, but I never realized how UTTERLY DEPENDENT I am on it in my daily life.

So this comic remains bittersweet for me right now. THE PAIN IS STILL TOO RAW. AAARGH!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”