0229: "Graffiti"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

0229: "Graffiti"

Postby warriorness » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:08 am UTC

Alt text: FOR AN INTRIGUING TIME CALL

Sadly, I have never seen any profound/inspiring graffiti such as this.

Sometimes I write notes to myself in the future. I address myself as "future self" and refer to the person writing the note as "past self", so that when my future self reads the note it's like a different person left it for him.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:14 am UTC

The most inspiring bathroom graffiti I've stumbled across was "Newfound Glory" written in Sharpie, crossed out, then written over again. :(

Needless to say, the people around here aren't too creative.

I've thought of writing poems before, but then realized nobody would appreciate it. :(

opus

Postby opus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I've done the note-to-future-self thing before too. It's an interesting experience, and it often leaves me with a sort of existential crisis. I can't help but wonder if my past self no longer exists, and that my future self is a totally different person. :shock:
Spread it on your flowers, Greg.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:16 am UTC

I've always wondered... I see things like "JH <3 EC 4 evr" and I wonder where JH and EC are right now. And if they're really together. And if they're not, has JH ever gone back to that same stall and seen that mark he made? What does he think about it? Is it a symbol of stupidity, or a second chance to realize how much he felt for her...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:18 am UTC

opus wrote:I've done the note-to-future-self thing before too. It's an interesting experience, and it often leaves me with a sort of existential crisis. I can't help but wonder if my past self no longer exists, and that my future self is a totally different person. :shock:

I always wonder if my past self would view my present self or my future self as a failure for what I have and have not done. Mostly I wonder if I let that little girl down. :(

This is a crisis that I go through a few times a month. I think too much.

Anyway, graffiti. Hugh sent me a few pictures of this awesome graffiti the other night. It made me wish I had artistic talent, but I severely lack it. :(

I love encountering graffiti that isn't just stupid; artistic and beautiful things are always things to be appreciated. However, not all graffiti (actually most graffiti) is neither artistic nor beautiful. It fails at aesthetics. :(

EDITED because I can't spell. Or maybe it's just that I can't type. Either way, there was a typo. :(
Last edited by thefiddler on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Oh god, what was that graffiti I saw at school...something like...

"When Rigor Mortis sets in,
Throw a subliminal dance party!"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:24 am UTC

opus wrote:I've done the note-to-future-self thing before too. It's an interesting experience, and it often leaves me with a sort of existential crisis. I can't help but wonder if my past self no longer exists, and that my future self is a totally different person. :shock:

It really is. I'm still working on being able to talk to my past self though.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:26 am UTC

Here are things I've found:

The word "Shit" in the most amazing calligraphy. Twice. Yeah, anyone can write foul things on a bathroom wall--but few can do it with such flair!

A discussion on Nietzche with at least 4 different participants. "Nietzche is Dead" - God, and it went from there to a deeper discussion of God and Nietzche.

Amazingly vitriolic, impassioned, eloquent dialogue about liberalism and conservatism, and their relative faults.

Drawings, and numerous other miscellany.

And a comment on how hardcore everyone was on that bathroom wall.

But even that doesn't compare to the stuff I once saw on a toilet paper dispenser over in California. Near Garden Grove, not too far from LA, as I recall. It was a Barnes and Noble... a huge one. I was on the second floor.

I mean, how many people have the gumption, the perseverance, and the drive to put up a thirty-word rant against Industrial Meat Production... by carving it onto a toilet paper dispenser?

soloudsobright

Postby soloudsobright » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:39 am UTC

I love the subtle Dane Cook reference.

Arturion

Postby Arturion » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:01 am UTC

I don't seem to see many ingenious bathroom-stall remarks here.

Funniest one I ever saw was someone who carved, simply, "BICTH". Come on - you can't even spell your swear-word graffiti right?

:roll:

Actually, now that I check urban dictionary, it says that it is "An ignorant mexican/wetback way of spelling" it. Hmm.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:45 am UTC

Our uni has great bathroom graffiti. Loads of people having philosophical debates and running gags and so on. In the Classics departments there's little Latin and Greek quotes between the pictures of penises.

beinsane

Postby beinsane » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:49 am UTC

I vaguely recall having seen some bathroom graffiti reading "no graffiti, please!"

I found it to be very Magritte.
Hello, this is bein, and I pronounce "bein" as "bein".

riley

Postby riley » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:04 am UTC

The bars around here have really excellent political and philosophical discussions in them. It's really hysterical to see something that starts as a quality, 5-response discussion devolve into absurdly academic swears... and back.

Jemas

Postby Jemas » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC

The best graffiti I've ever seen:

Person 1 has come in trying to be deep and emotional

God is Empty
Love is Suicide

Person 2 added to this list, and thus, hilarity was born.

God is Empty
Love is Suicide
You is shit.
Jemas: Not to be taken internally.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:34 am UTC

There is one bathroom on campus that I know of with particularly interesting graffiti. It's not scrawled all over a stall, but rather on the grout in between the tiles composing the walls. It's a couple hundred phrases, that all contain the word grout, usually phrases that normally contain the word "out" or "shout" or something where it has been replaced by "grout". I don't know about you, but I find that amazingly silly, funny, and interesting at the same time. It's like a community effort or something, as the handwriting for each phrase is different. There's also no other graffiti, as if people respect the grout graffiti and don't want to ruin it for everybody else.

Grout! Grout! Let it all out!
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:58 am UTC

I've seen some long philosophical texts, aswell as some interesting conversations written on bathroom walls. It's actually uite interesting to see what peopl write on bathroom walls. Reminds me of urban archeology or something.

Doozer

Postby Doozer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 am UTC

Aoeniac wrote:There is one bathroom on campus that I know of with particularly interesting graffiti. It's not scrawled all over a stall, but rather on the grout in between the tiles composing the walls. It's a couple hundred phrases, that all contain the word grout, usually phrases that normally contain the word "out" or "shout" or something where it has been replaced by "grout". I don't know about you, but I find that amazingly silly, funny, and interesting at the same time. It's like a community effort or something, as the handwriting for each phrase is different. There's also no other graffiti, as if people respect the grout graffiti and don't want to ruin it for everybody else.

Grout! Grout! Let it all out!

:?: :!:

Holy crap! I've seen this same thing at my university, in a number of different bathrooms.

Experiment

Postby Experiment » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:03 am UTC

I felt the need to post here after seeing this comic.

At my university, I was once in one of the predominantly honors college dorms, and I got lost on the way to the dining commons there, so naturally, I decided to just go to the bathroom and let my friends who were presumably eating wait. I found in the bathroom some good positive graffiti. It was scratched in and it said "Spread Good Karma." I was touched, so I pulled out my pocket knife and added "Live a Good Life." Or something to that effect, I can't remember, and I haven't yet gone back to that bathroom, and would probably get lost on the way anyways.

At the movie theatre I worked at, my favorite graffiti was "Vote Kerry on [whatever the election day was]" and underneath it was written "The assholes didn't."

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:I've always wondered... I see things like "JH <3 EC 4 evr" and I wonder where JH and EC are right now. And if they're really together. And if they're not, has JH ever gone back to that same stall and seen that mark he made? What does he think about it? Is it a symbol of stupidity, or a second chance to realize how much he felt for her...

at the train station near my friend's house there is something in this vein.

[JD <3 erika '02] [erika <3 JD '02]
[JD <3 erika '03] [erika <3 JD '03]
[JD <3 erika '04] [erika <3 JD '04]
[JD <3 erika '05]

poor JD.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

notb4dinner

Postby notb4dinner » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:21 am UTC

Reminds me of this:

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:09 am UTC

my favourite toilet graffiti was in an office block where my dad worked. On the left wall was written "cubicle tennis: look right" and on the write was written "cubicle tennis: look left". I somehow found it hilarious.
Heaven is for the hedonist

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:44 am UTC

i think i may put that in one of the cubicles at uni. thats awesome :D
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

Yeah, unis are great for thoughtful, inspiring cubicle graffiti. It's true that people do the best thinking when they're on the toilet. I'll see if I can take some pics of good ones...when nobody's in there, because the sound of a cameraphone going off in a stall might weird some people out.
ImageImageImageImageImage

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

In the toilets in the Maths block of the uni here the walls are covered in, along with the usual gibberish, obscenity and grout jokes, brief snippets of differential equations and other mathematical stuff... like someone (and I'm guilty of this) suddenly had inspiration on question 5 of the tutorial questions, and had to work it out somewhere...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Eldan

Postby Eldan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

I must admit that I have never seen any philosophical graffiti at all. And our university is almost free of it too. I think they erase the graffiti once per week. Anyway, the only funny graffiti I remember was one in the chemistry department:
"Alcohol is not a solution. It's an organic compound" (Not sure if that translation is correct, used Wikipedia for it)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

Yeah, that sounds about right. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Inspired by a DVD commentary for Futurama I left a note to the future owner of my locker when I left ninth grade, indicating which corners in what classroom were meant to be urinated in, which teachers are easily manipulated and alluding to a special room in the school which would be accessible only at a certain time of day and only if the radio in the cafeteria was tuned to a spcific station. I don't know if that relates to this subject all that well but anyway, there you are.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

In one of the stalls here at work, there is at least one circuit diagram mixed in with the rest of the inane crap scribbled on the walls.
You can tell we have engineers.

On the other hand, since this is and old elementary school, I often wonder what of the graffiti is from people who work(ed) here, and what's left over from when it actually was a grade school.
I mean, the circuit diagram is definately someone who worked here, but who is more likely to have written 'poop' in giant letters on a bathroom wall?
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

kertrats

Postby kertrats » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

Anyone else notice the obsession with furniture profiles lately? First a workbench in the circuits comic, then computers, and now toilets. All three are drawn in significant detail.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

Eldan wrote:I must admit that I have never seen any philosophical graffiti at all. And our university is almost free of it too. I think they erase the graffiti once per week.

Does this disappoint anyone else? I always found it disappointing when I'd go into a university bathroom and the stall walls were nice and clean, or freshly painted, or whatever. There's some good stuff that shows up sometimes.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I do remember someone hanging the following sign on the mirror in my dorm's bathroom: "Please do not wipe boogers on mirror". You know you're in either a dorm or nursery school when you see that one.

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

German Sausage wrote:
at the train station near my friend's house there is something in this vein.

[JD <3 erika '02] [erika <3 JD '02]
[JD <3 erika '03] [erika <3 JD '03]
[JD <3 erika '04] [erika <3 JD '04]
[JD <3 erika '05]

poor JD.

Awwww :(

The cubicle-things in the library here at U of Ottawa are covered in hate, just covered. Everybody hating on everybody else, curses, insults... but one day I sat down to see "You are beautiful" written in pink marker across the top, and it made my day.

On a crosswalk sign back in my hometown, someone had scrawled "HATE" in it, and it was there for years and it bugged me every day as I walked home from school... on my last day, as I was driving around with my friend (it was a ritual we had), I was talking about it, and he said, "Why don't you change it?"

So I did. That sign now has a blot, and then LOVE in red marker written on it.

I want to start a chess game on a stall wall...but I'm not sure if people would get it.
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

smocc

Postby smocc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

I once pasted a piece of paper that said "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU PEE" over every urinal in a large men's room in my school.
Dogs with diabetes need less love

Phy

Postby Phy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

The most memorable, if not inspiring, bathroom graffito from my university days was one down in the Engineering building. It was actually the only place on the campus that I remember seeing racist graffiti, to my eternal (heretofore unnanounced) shame. Some dimwit with a grudge had carved into the stall's paint, "FUK U NIGER". Below, in different lettering, was the reply: "KENYA TOO".

I guess if you can't stand up to injustice at least make fun of their spelling? I preferred the "crack" jokes in the grout in the Science building bathroom.

Also, hi.

jmgregory

Postby jmgregory » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

We get some good ones here in our physics dept:

"Heisenberg may have shat here."

"Trouble with moles? Call Avogadro 602-1023"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Pathway wrote:A discussion on Nietzche with at least 4 different participants. "Nietzche is Dead" - God, and it went from there to a deeper discussion of God and Nietzche.

Amazingly vitriolic, impassioned, eloquent dialogue about liberalism and conservatism, and their relative faults.

Before they remodeled the building, one of the halls at my university (U of Michigan, Ann Arbor) used to have a pretty extensive discussion about religion written above a couple of the urinals. But apart from that, I can't at the moment remember anything especially interesting or inspiring.

eclipse

Postby eclipse » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

soloudsobright wrote:I love the subtle Dane Cook reference.

glad to see someone else noticed. he was there, but not as a fag!

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

This thread has great potential to become epic. Perhaps one day, a book will be printed, consisting entirely of photographs of cubicle graffitti!

(On topic: Best I've seen was something like, "If you are bored enough to read this, try Ex-Lax" - written in ink pen. Unfortunately that whole cubicle has since been painted over D: )
Last edited by LE4dGOLEM on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Miike

Postby Miike » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

"Heisenberg may have shat here."

YES.

While I was in NYC a few months back I walked by a picture of a guy licking a PSP and looking pretty whacked-out a few times a day, real well drawn, pretty big. We came to the conclusion that the game was Metal Gear Acid <_<

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Or just Katamari Damacy. I'm pretty sure you could hallucinate just by licking the disc for that game.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

space_raptor

Sine

Postby space_raptor » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

I've corrected mathematical derivations (I think for sine) on the bathroom stall wall at my university. It wasn't even in the engineering department.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”