0476: "One-Sided"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: "One-Sided" Discussion

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Falcon4 wrote:I feel so stupid. Maybe my mind doesn't work the way this graph wants it to work. But I can't seem to put "how often this happens" (and hence the line) into a meaningful context to get the joke. I can't see how "how often this happens" changes over "length of conversation"...
Just as I'm trying to formulate a way to describe my incompetence, I think I may have figured it out... this should have been a bar graph, not a line graph...
(edit: and I lolled a little)

This was really confusing because he used a smooth line when a line with dots on it might have made more sense, I agree and thought the same thing, that a bar graph would have been more appropriate, something that made it obvious that we weren't talking about a continuous thing, but rather totaling "I had 4 conversations that lasted 23 seconds. I had 14 conversation that lasted 9 seconds" (etc.)
GodShapedBullet wrote:
Sunsnail wrote:K, I'm an idiot. Someone explain it please

The idea of it was that he had an entire relationship without realizing that the other person was just talking on the phone.
Wacky!
Also it was really confusing that the "second relationship" part was drawn like a little bell curve instead of the single event (the entire relationship being the very longest one-sided conversation) spike it was meant as.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
Falcon4 wrote:I feel so stupid. Maybe my mind doesn't work the way this graph wants it to work. But I can't seem to put "how often this happens" (and hence the line) into a meaningful context to get the joke. I can't see how "how often this happens" changes over "length of conversation"...
Just as I'm trying to formulate a way to describe my incompetence, I think I may have figured it out... this should have been a bar graph, not a line graph...
(edit: and I lolled a little)

This was really confusing because he used a smooth line when a line with dots on it might have made more sense, I agree and thought the same thing, that a bar graph would have been more appropriate, something that made it obvious that we weren't talking about a continuous thing, but rather totaling "I had 4 conversations that lasted 23 seconds. I had 14 conversation that lasted 9 seconds" (etc.)

If you don't understand what a probability distribution is, this comic is probably not for you.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Don't be a dick

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

Clearly I understood it eventually, or I wouldn't have just been able to explain it, and why it would have been more clear in a different format.

Perhaps your mother should get you involved in some extra curricular activities so you're not so bored you feel the need to attempt to belittle other people as your major form of entertainment.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:Clearly I understood it eventually, or I wouldn't have just been able to explain it, and why it would have been more clear in a different format.

Probability distributions over a non-discrete domain (duration is not discrete until you get into units far smaller than a second) are not bar graphs. And my point was, you seem to still be misinterpreting it, because "how often it happens" is not the same as "how many times it has happened" and points on the graph do NOT necessarily correspond to actual numbers of conversations.
a bar graph would have been more appropriate, something that made it obvious that we weren't talking about a continuous thing,
Except, that was my point - it IS a continuous thing.
----
@EsotericWombat - how is that being a dick? It's just like how a comic about internet memes (and there have been several) is not for people who don't get internet memes (and there have been several, as evidenced by the complaints those comics got from such people)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:You implied that she doesn't belong here. Unless the words you said have some secret, hidden meaning other than that, you can go fuck yourself.

Not-so-secret totally-not-hidden meaning: "this comic" means today's "Individual XKCD Comic", not XKCD as a whole.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

Yeah, I caught that after I posted it. On the other hand, what you said still comes off as dickish because it's still saying that she wasn't qualified to read this comic.

szarka

Postby szarka » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Best. Alt text. Ever.

Well, at least the best in months.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Not so much of a fan of the alt/title text.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Hehe, this happens to me sometimes. Just today some random people waved and shouted at me, and I figured I probably just didn't recognize them (I suck at facial recognition), so I waved and greeted them back. Turns out there was someone behind me. V_v
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

FistMagnet

Postby FistMagnet » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Heh. Nicely done, Randall.

I have one friendly acquaintance who manages rock bands for a living and there is always something very bizarre going on in his life and interesting substances going through his veins and he always enjoys talking about it. (I keep him around because I get live sound gigs through him sometimes.) He reminds me of a very young Hunter S. Thompson, and one of life's simple pleasures is watching the expressions on random people's faces when they overhear my cellphone conversations with him - needless to say, nobody EVER thinks I'm talking to them.

"I like your plan. After a month out there, the money I'll save on cigarettes will compensate for all the bribes I'll have to pay out."

"It doesn't matter if they're a hip-hop act. Refusing to hire Caucasian sound engineers is a discriminatory hiring practice and therefore illegal. Sue them. Or, better yet, blackmail them."

"So, in a nutshell, she was too polite to kick you out of bed?"

"Sorry dude. When he was living in China, he was practically swimming in the stuff, but nowadays it hardly ever comes around and when it does he smokes it all himself."

etc.
"People have always laughed at great discoveries. They laughed at penicillin, they laughed at the theory of relativity, and they laughed at nitrous oxide."
-John Sladek

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:42 am UTC

12:01: Comic posts.
12:02 rumors start, involving Bernanke and the crossbow.
17:00 Dow down 500 points.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:53 am UTC

1900: John McCain says that fundamentals of economy are strong

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:14 am UTC

arbivark wrote:12:01: Comic posts.

Unless you happen to be twelve hours off of Randall, wouldn't that be
"0:01: Comic posts.
0:02 rumors start, involving Bernanke and the crossbow.
5:00 Dow down 500 points."?

("700: John McCain says that fundamentals of economy are strong")
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

IW4

Postby IW4 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:24 am UTC

roc314 wrote:

I took it as 12:00am (when the comic posted), 5pm (when the NYSE closed), and the year 1900 (when McCain was 50).

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 am UTC

IW4 wrote:
roc314 wrote:

I took it as 12:00am (when the comic posted), 5pm (when the NYSE closed), and the year 1900 (when McCain was 50).

So that fixes the Dow one, but wouldn't 12:00am still be 0:00?
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Handie

Postby Handie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:34 am UTC

Bad for the economy... i told you
Starwars MMORPG
Great fun, check it out!
http://www.swcombine.com

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Am I the only one, or does anyone else think the alt-text (and phone conv) is a really bitchin' reference to John Steakley's Vampire$? The whole crossbow, pillar, vampire, "one of them", "get them at the entrance" thing seems like a real strong reference to one of the last chapters. Bueller?

Gauteamus

Postby Gauteamus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:32 am UTC

I like the ambiguity of the title, how it can reflect on the One-Sidedness of the conversation/relationship, or on a One-Sided hypothesis test.

Mazzula

Postby Mazzula » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

I thought the joke was funny, but it is also disturbing.

Why is it that the person who responds is the one who feels awkward? It is the person on the phone who rudely invaded someone else's space with their private conversation. A person who is talking on a cell phone ought to withdraw. Most people realize they should do this when they are watching a movie in a theater, but even in other contexts they should refrain from imposing their private conversations on others.

It is like being accosted by a mime. There you are, living your own interior life, and along comes someone to intrude on that. But, for some reason, it isn't the mime who feels awkward.

Suppose two people, both on cell phones, are standing next to each other. All of these cell phone conversations are pretty much the same (record a few of them, you'll see), so it is bound to happen that they will each think the other has fallen into the trap, pwned by someone who can proudly display their superiority in having both advanced cell-phone technology and someone better to talk to.

When this happens, what are the rules? Which should feel awkward and which gets to do the superior dance?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Mazzula wrote:...

When this happens, what are the rules? Which should feel awkward and which gets to do the superior dance?

The cell phone producers and the phone companies, of course.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

IIXII

Postby IIXII » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Oh hey, its a Larouche cultist. Someone go get the hose!

nescalona

Postby nescalona » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

I love the title text! And the 5-hours-before-Dow-opening-ness, I have to show everyone this comic now.

Joshua W. Burton wrote:<i>Do you find the blogger's reading ("second relationship" implying two or more open and simultaneous relationships) remotely plausible or warranted?</i>

Our society is so screwed up that we even have to ask questions like this.

Grego

Postby Grego » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

This happened to me recently with the sister-in-charge at a local hospital where I was working. Very awkward. Furthermore, the girl I was hitting on was sitting in the room too, not too impressed.

"Sorry, what's your name?"
"Greg"
- silence -

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

I used to do this a lot at work. A person would come in and order whilst talking on their goddamn bluetooth.

I'd feel like such an idiot, and I'd be mad at the person because they were being rude.

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:11 am UTC

I think the longest conversation I ever had like this was just under half an hour outside a dairy queen. me and the guy on the other end of her cell phone(with the blue-tooth earpeice :evil: ) must have been on perfect wavelength, because when she hung up, she said I was speaking in unison with him. I still have his e-mail, but I don't want to start a friendship with the lines "Hi, your girlfriend said I should talk to you", or any similar greeting. blue-tooth makes things so much more complicated :| .
If all the worlds my stage let's go to intermission

robot256

Postby robot256 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:55 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:Yeah, I caught that after I posted it. On the other hand, what you said still comes off as dickish because it's still saying that she wasn't qualified to read this comic.

But that still kinda is the point, since the great thing about xkcd is that its a comic by geeks for geeks. There are bound to be references to advanced concepts that not everybody will appreciate with their present level of education. Heck, there have been enough references to random math theories and stuff that go right over my head, but it's not a big deal.

That's why I love xkcd -- Randall doesn't even *try* to make it understandable for everyone, hence the result is much more interesting for those who get it. I may be elitist, but hey, millionaires need friends too. :twisted:

nealh

Postby nealh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

This happened to me once in a bathroom. I walked in, stepped up to a urinal, and this guy in one of the stalls says hello and we strike up a conversation. Everything was going fine until the guy said, "Excuse me a minute, someone thinks I'm talking to him. - I'm on the phone here!"

The setting shifted the awkward threshold towards zero, but luckily it was balanced out by a shift towards positive infinity due to the lack of possible eye contact.

I finished my business and hurried out before the guy got off the crapper.

Who answers their phone on the crapper? honestly. ( I'm talking to the IM'ers in the crowd who take their laptops into bathroom stalls too. What is wrong with you people? Read a magazine. )

kelvinc

Postby kelvinc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Hehe, this happens to me sometimes. Just today some random people waved and shouted at me, and I figured I probably just didn't recognize them (I suck at facial recognition), so I waved and greeted them back. Turns out there was someone behind me. V_v

That happens to me with frightening regularity. I usually look dead ahead and then pretend I'm shouting to someone behind them. This usually works when it's a relatively busy place, or there's a structure that my imaginary friend would've walked behind if the people looked back to see if I was addressing someone or just air.

Never look behind you to see if they're shouting to someone else though. That's a dead giveaway that you have no clue what's going on.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 am UTC

I've found this phenomenon frustrating when I'm out at night or in sketchy neighborhoods. When I'm standing at a stoplight and some big dude comes up behind me and says, "Hey, baby, what's up?" and I have no idea whether I should get nervous or whether he's just innocently phoning his girlfriend while he's waiting for the light.... :?

Joshua W. Burton wrote:A blogger (I won't name him, for reasons that will shortly become evident) pointed me at this cartoon today, with a sneer about polyamory. He took "second relationship" to be a term of art, and interpreted the high-awkwardness blip as a "coming out" confession on Randall Munroe's part. The blogger finds it "easier to deal with furries" than with "poly freaks," and finds the alleged confession regrettable.
[...]
<i>Do you find the blogger's reading ("second relationship" implying two or more open and simultaneous relationships) remotely plausible or warranted?</i>

Uh... That's the most thoroughly daft thing I've heard all week. Unless there's context to indicate otherwise, the obvious interpretation of "second relationship" is that it's the second in a sequence.

Also, the poly folks I know refer to "secondary" relationships, not "second" ones.

nealh wrote:Who answers their phone on the crapper? honestly.

I find it pretty disconcerting to be doing my business while the person in the next stall carries on a conversation. I read a Best of Craigslist on this theme recently... Warning: descriptive and vulgar poo story contained within (but funny in the opinion of this person who doesn't usually go in for vulgar poo stories). http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/nyc/333345372.html
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Handie

Postby Handie » Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 am UTC

I had this happen just now.
Apparently the person my house mate was calling picked up the phone the same instant as I entered the room...
Sooo dodgy...
Starwars MMORPG
Great fun, check it out!
http://www.swcombine.com

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”