0479: "Tones"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HistidineTheCat

Re: "Tones" Discussion

Postby HistidineTheCat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Wow, I think the same thing to myself - to hell with these damn pop songs playing everywhere!

Though there's one a buddy of mine had, for when his wife called him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_WERPN8KO8
Brilliant!

If I ever get a ringtone (probably never will), it would be something really bad-ass like Shostakovich's 5th symphony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfvBz3huGZU), or Grieg's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in A minor, Op. 16 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW3MQzDzlgk).

That's right, bitches.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:55 am UTC

I don't have like, a song, but I do have one of those default, non-ringing things.

I wanted to change it to helter-skelter. I don't know.

By the way. EFF Lil Wayne ringtones.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

vrazix

Postby vrazix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:I keep my mobile on vibrate only all the time. I can't stand ringtones of any kind.

Agreed. My phone has never "rung".

Even the alarm is vibrate (rattling against the table is enough to wake me up). It's always in a vibrate or silent mode.

niteice

Postby niteice » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Frequently my phone is on vibrate (one for calls, one short and one long for text messages), but for when it's not (i.e. I'm somewhere I don't mind it going off) I have the radio song from Portal.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 am UTC

Pfft, ringing. My ringtone is the original Super Mario Bros theme. That's so much cooler than ringing. :lol:

dr7

Postby dr7 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Hooray!

Normal ringing or vibrate only. If I want to listen to a song, I'd use an MP3 player.

Thank you for some sanity in this world.
dr7: king of the wicker people

Handie

Postby Handie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 am UTC

I work with a girl who has the Captain Planet theme song.
I got a laugh when it went off. :D
Starwars MMORPG
Great fun, check it out!
http://www.swcombine.com

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:04 am UTC

My first choice is Super Mario Bros 1-1 theme. My second is an actual ring. However, I don't know if those are available for my phone. I bought a Go Phone on clearance: $10, and that's $10 of time + the phone itself for free. I haven't set it up yet. Maybe I should.

A buddy of mine has a girlfriend who is not the sanest person. His special ringtone for her incoming calls? The theme from Peanuts.
---------
BlueNight

valbaca

Postby valbaca » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I prefer ringtones that are similar to the normal ring but not quite...
examples:
The fading ringtone from "Crank"
The office ring tone from "24"
the dial-up tone (lots of laughs from that one)
the disconnected toned (beep we're sorry...the number you are trying to dial is no longer in service, please hang up and try again)

However until i can figure out how to upload .mp3s so that they can be played as ringtones, I'm pretty content with the default beeps and boops.
(Sprint LG RUMOR, please message if you've figured it out). [edit] nvm...the interweb has solutions!

what needs to be spoken out more against are ringback tones. I can thing of 3 old friends right now that I WILL NOT call because I'm sick of hearing a horrible choppy version of "Free Bird" or the pop/rap/country song of the week.
Last edited by valbaca on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:08 am UTC

My phone doesn't even seem to have the ability to add ringtones. You can just choose from the shitty built-in ones. :( I think there's a way to buy more, but fuck if I'm paying for them.

I want a better phone so I can use the Super Mario 64 1-up sound, or some equally neat sound effect. And the ability to assign different tones to different people.
And I want a girlfriend from Tokyo so I can have hers be My Woman From Tokyo because that's just too perfect not to do.

WTF are ringback tones anyway?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I personally hate all the fancy rig tones esp those that are some random pop song which when it comes on the radio you see 10 people reach for their phones. when ever i get a new phone i alway take the simplest ring tone i can find. It makes it so much easier to identify my phone. The only time i ever did anything speacial was i once had the message tone as the "found and item" thing from ocarina of time but i haven't put it onto my new phone
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Lots of people seem to go with Mario Brothers... I might need to change it if I can ever find something other than "I kissed a Girl" when I search for them.

I did have the Doctor Who theme, but it was way too quite, and only like, 10 seconds long. Which is mostly small woosh noises. The "Bad Horse" theme from Dr Horrible though... I'll need to grab that if I can.
~Kat

valbaca

Postby valbaca » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:My phone doesn't even seem to have the ability to add ringtones. You can just choose from the shitty built-in ones. :( I think there's a way to buy more, but fuck if I'm paying for them.

I want a better phone so I can use the Super Mario 64 1-up sound, or some equally neat sound effect. And the ability to assign different tones to different people.
And I want a girlfriend from Tokyo so I can have hers be My Woman From Tokyo because that's just too perfect not to do.

WTF are ringback tones anyway?

It's a retarded service that Alltel (and others?) provide that when you call a person it replaces the normal ring with a song while you wait for them to answer. Sounds novel but it's really just annoying considering hardlines cannot handle music, much less cells.
Last edited by valbaca on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gracenotes

Postby Gracenotes » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Forget cell phones, what about landline phonesets that try to imitate ringing and end up with a justified alarm. Even better is when several of such phonesets coexist for the same line, and their sound waves cross in ugly ways when someone calls.

How about this for a ringtone: an excerpt from Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony (e.g., around 1:45 in the video) so that everyone who hears it can slip into a brief bout of depression. Or maybe someone yelling "Fire"? The leekspin song? The meatspin song? So many options, so few people who care!
Last edited by Gracenotes on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 am UTC

I used to be this way.

But I was tempted by the lure of being able to have Cake's No Phone as my tone.

Irony whenever anyone called me.

It is currently Belle and Sebastian's Step Into My Office, Baby, primarily because it has a long, high-pitched intro, which effectively just sounds like a ring tone anyway (albeit a complex and interesting one).

I prefer not to have actual, you know, singing come from my phone, and the spoken word tones are not just a little creepy for my tastes.

A friend of mine does have Men At Work's Who Could it be Now? which is a stroke of genius, given the first 15 seconds are suitable for a tone (again, instrumental and high-pitched) and the song itself is hilarious when people realise what it is.

The first 2 times you hear it anyway.

But frankly, almost anything beats the following two options:

1) Default Nokia tone (you know the one I mean)
2) Any hip-hop or bass heavy song. They don't belong coming out of a half-centimetre speaker. It's the law.
Son of a bit!

msittig

Postby msittig » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:14 am UTC

My phone is always on vibrate.

Amen, bruvah.

Even the alarm is vibrate

Now THAT's hard core.

Me, I don't own a cell phone and have all but committed to never getting one until the Goddamned FCC steps in and draws up a set of standards for how phones and carriers work together. Namely, none of this vendor lock-in bullshit, none of this limiting certain features to members of the same "network" (what the fuck is this, AIM?), and none of this "every company has its own designated towers so you can't go anywhere in the country without one being in view" idiocy. If there was ever proof that the government should have taken over the phone system in the US like they did with the postal system (and like the UK did, I think), cell phone providers are it.

And in Communist China, baby! Which is why I didn't get a cellphone until I moved here.

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:16 am UTC

I've got a cell phone with voice ID, which is probably a lot worst than most ring tones. My folks got a cordless which emits a short tone followed up voice ID -- and it sounds somewhat creepy ...

Joby

Postby Joby » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:16 am UTC

IF your phone MUST be heard, please let it be a simple ring, or even a single beep. WHY does it have to be the themesong from Hana Yori Dango? Maybe you like it, but do the people around you need do hear "Darring Darring its arright! Darring Darring Hord me tight!"?

Side note: Randall: Get out of my head. (And off my lawn, for that matter?).

Azraelle

Postby Azraelle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Hell. Yes. Your phone is not a boombox. If you want to listen to MP3s, get a headset. The worst time for this of course is when it's not your phone, it's a roommate's or something. And they're not around to answer it. All I hear is some song playing very faintly, and I have no clue what's going on.

My most recent cell phone didn't even have a default ring that was an actual ring; it was a stupid little melody that I grew to LOATHE.
Obligatory self-promoting signature starts here.
Bristled - surprise, it's a comic.
Thank you for your understanding. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled end of my post.

nifboy

Postby nifboy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I too can only choose from awful preset ringtones, and I don't care enough to change that. The best ringtone I've heard was the Phoenix Wright ringtone going off at a Gamestop.

Benson

Postby Benson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Mine does a boring non-ringing default sound, but only because it doesn't have a ringing sound, and I still haven't figured out whether to go with "Still Alive" (GLaDOS singing, not the radio version), some miscellaneous GLaDOS utterance, or the BFG9000... or maybe a BFG/portal gun mixup.

If I had to go with ordinary songs, it'd probably be "fast as you" (Dwight Yoakam), but I think playing songs is kinda tacky, even if it's a good song. That and it'd be even more embarassing when I forget silent; if they think I have poor taste in music, I can do nothing, but if they don't get a gaming reference, I can look down my over-caffeinated nose at them as an inferior lifeform. ;)

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:27 am UTC

Right now I'm just using one of the default ones on my phone--it sounds like a really old phone ringing. "Brrrinnng"

I used to have the Legend of Zelda theme...and London Calling. Though, I'm fairly certain it never was London calling because that would cost an exorbitant amount of money.
Rice Puddin.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:28 am UTC

YES, Randall is on my side! God damn I hate ringtones that aren't rings.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

JamesGecko

Postby JamesGecko » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:29 am UTC

My phone doesn't have a non-annoying vanilla ring, so I just leave it on the default. It's a cheap phone too, so I can't buy extra ringtones for it, and the recording function compresses everything so badly that I can't just hold it near a speaker and set that as the ringtone. Additionally, I don't use said phone enough to track down a data transfer cable.

I have an extremely lucky friend who had a little MIDI composition app on his phone. He made these amazing Megaman X style ringtones when he got bored.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Actually, the only way I'd ever have a tone is if it beeped like the communicators from Star Trek. Or the *ITEM GET* sound from Zelda.
Or that techno dancing song from that one Six Flags commercial, but that would probably cause me to spontaneously start dancing...

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Qoppa wrote:My phone is always on vibrate. But in the (very rare) event I need my phone to make some sort of audible tone, it's always a ring. None of this music business.

Same here. Though I always forget to take the vibrate off when I'm not around it so I end up missing some calls (this is rare though, I don't get many calls anyway). Anyway, my phone doesn't let you use your tune as a ring, just the ones it has.

foodeater184

Postby foodeater184 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Mine's always on vibrate too. I don't even know how to download new ring tones onto my cell phone.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Oh! I just remembered the Jurassic Park III ringtone!

Do you remember that brilliant piece of filmmaking? There's this ringtone, and I looked around the theater annoyed, then it rang again, and the character onscreen answered it. (The satellite phone.) And later it got eaten, so they could tell where the Spinosaurus was when the phone rang. And then it got pooped.

That would be my ringtone.
---------
BlueNight

creaothceann

Postby creaothceann » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:Actually, the only way I'd ever have a tone is if it beeped like the communicators from Star Trek. Or the *ITEM GET* sound from Zelda.

The best ring tone I've heard was the Star Trek TNG door "bell" sound. The Super Metroid / Cave Story "item get" sound would be good, too.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 am UTC

My ringtone sounds like an old office phone ringing and whenever my friends hear it they look around for the landline phone.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Southwest

Postby Southwest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:09 am UTC

My phone is always, without fail, on vibrate. Period. I really don't care that much about my phone to waste my money on a sound bite that plays only a few seconds every day.

The only song I would consider for a ringtone is 4'33".

Well, okay, I might consider others, but never too seriously. Honestly, it means very little to me.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 am UTC

Mine has Misirlou from Pulp Fiction. Back when you could make you'r own I found instructions on the internet on how to make that loading screen music of Metroid Prime. It was the best ringtone ever. Not to mention it spawned the line "Quick! The Metroid Phone is ringing!"

mightymouse1584

Postby mightymouse1584 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 am UTC

mine rings but starts quiet and slowly gets louder

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 am UTC

I identify with this comic. I really do.

I really do.

bennyprofane

Postby bennyprofane » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Man, for some reason, I get this odd Softer World vibe from the comic--I think Randall's kind of playfully parodying them. Like, the whole irreverent observation kind of thing with a dire, somber look at it. Randall makes it good with the alt-text--it carries the thing.

Oh, and I have "Avantcore" by Busdriver as my ringtone right now.
"The single flower contains more brightness than a hundred flowers." - Yasunari Kawabata

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 am UTC

bennyprofane wrote:Man, for some reason, I get this odd Softer World vibe from the comic--I think Randall's kind of playfully parodying them. Like, the whole irreverent observation kind of thing with a dire, somber look at it. Randall makes it good with the alt-text--it carries the thing.

Oh, and I have "Avantcore" by Busdriver as my ringtone right now.

I got that feeling from Still Raw.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Benson

Postby Benson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:27 am UTC

Southwest wrote:My phone is always, without fail, on vibrate. Period. I really don't care that much about my phone to waste my money on a sound bite that plays only a few seconds every day.

OK, then don't waste money on it. I wouldn't consider a ringtone either, if it cost money. (If you can't put ringtones on your phone yourself, you should debrand/whatever it takes to get it so you can. Or just switch to a sane(r) provider, if you can get one...)

choginga

Postby choginga » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I agree with this comic. The only custom tones I would use are different kinds of rings, like the MGS codec sound.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 am UTC

All hail.

I follow the way of the Munroe, too!

Well.

My phone would ring if it was ever not on silent mode, anyway. :roll:
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 am UTC

So, to summarise the thread so far:

"Ringing" ringtones and vibrate mode (exact preference of these two varies) > Lyricless nerd culture references (Still Alive radio mix and SMB 1-1 in particular) > Other lyricless songs > * > Gran Vals > "Novelty" "ringtones"

Have I missed anything important?

[edit]
My sister's in an orchestra... I should try to convince them to play Gran Vals, just to see how many people in the audience check their phones partway through the song.
Last edited by phlip on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”