0088: "Escher Bracelet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

0088: "Escher Bracelet"

Postby Yakk » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Escher Bracelet

With image-title "The only downside is that it would be a little uncomfortable".

Actually, I own one of those. It isn't all that uncomfortable, and mine is a ring. The trick is not have the "twist" dig inwards.

Got it as my "grad ring" (and got my personal prime number inscribed "inside") -- it was pretty popular at Waterloo around 2000. Dunno if they still make them.

(couldn't find a pre-existing thread for this early comic).

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:05 am UTC

Yeah, I think some of them might still be floating in the depths of the forums, or something. Anyway, anyone who wants to be all talkin' about this has my blessing to do it here.

Also, personal prime number? What?

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

It is sort of a joke -- alma mater hands out unique prime numbers to graduates who promise to donate cash.

So I own one prime number. Collect all Aleph Null!

Yeah, I think some of them might still be floating in the depths of the forums, or something

Ah, is search limited in how long it goes back?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:30 am UTC

I do not know, actually. But all the comic discussions used to be in General before this section was created so it's possible if there was ever discussion on it, it could possibly be in there. Hell, it could even be in here, but you did say you searched, right? One of life's mysteries.

PotatoEngineer

Postby PotatoEngineer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

On a random tangent, my wedding ring is going to be a moebius strip. My fiance's found a good jeweler (ringsmith? ringcrafter? maker-of-shiny-pretty-things-from-pretty-stuff?), and we're both thrilled about it. Granted, about 75% of the time we say "moebius ring" to somebody, we then need to explain it, but that's entirely beside the point.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

PotatoEngineer wrote:On a random tangent, my wedding ring is going to be a moebius strip. My fiance's found a good jeweler (ringsmith? ringcrafter? maker-of-shiny-pretty-things-from-pretty-stuff?), and we're both thrilled about it. Granted, about 75% of the time we say "moebius ring" to somebody, we then need to explain it, but that's entirely beside the point.

Seems very uncomfortable. I mean, I can see a bracelet, but wouldn't a ring just get in the way?
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

warriorness wrote:Seems very uncomfortable. I mean, I can see a bracelet, but wouldn't a ring just get in the way?

Me, Yakk, in the top post wrote:Actually, I own one of those. It isn't all that uncomfortable, and mine is a ring. The trick is not have the "twist" dig inwards.

It sticks out less than most gemstones mounted on rings. If you are fancy, you can do a wedding+engagement ring interlock with them pretty nicely too.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

I've a feeling one of my mother's rings has a twist in it, actually. I should sus that out :shock:

PotatoEngineer

Postby PotatoEngineer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 am UTC

I've found there's roughly three types of moebius rings:

1) A normal ring with a ridge in it. As far as I'm concerned, these don't count:

2) A ring with an abrupt twist in it, kinda like the xkcd comic. These look uncomfortable.

3) A ring with a smooth twist throughout it. These, oddly, are quite rare, and I had to search pretty hard to find one.

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

Ooo.. I want one of those. Though I would prefer WWMD.
Romanes eunt domus!

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

If I ever see one of those WWED bracelets for sale, I am totally buying it. That would be awesome, mainly because most of the people I see on a day-to-day basis wouldn't get the joke. Sadly, Wal-Mart does not hire people based on intelligence, or even ability to work. I think they're based on something like, "Can you be here at least once a month? Great, you're hired."
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 am UTC

PotatoEngineer wrote:My fiance's found a good jeweler (ringsmith? ringcrafter? maker-of-shiny-pretty-things-from-pretty-stuff?),

I don't know what they're called individually, but a group of them is called a chain (i.e. a chain of ringsmiths). One of them is the ringleader.

/ducks

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

The ring I own is a #2, but the twist "pushes out" to make the inner loop a smooth circle.

Misc
Location: Dublin, Ireland. French. When I say "home", the meaning is random.

Re: "Escher Bracelet" Discussion

Postby Misc » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Cool, I'm only 1 year late in finding those in real life. There you go:
http://www.evene.fr/boutique/index.php?idp=179

I find it quite ugly actually. :(

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

No, that isn't my ring.

The inside of my ring is round. For 70% of the circle, it is a traditional flat-band against the skin.

In the "top" 30% it "folds out" in such a way that the "inner" edge continues the inner arc of the ring. As the "outer" edge gains height. the "inner" edge stays in the circle while moving towards the "back" or "front" of the ring.

Half way through fold, the flat panel ring is sticking strait out.

Looking at it on my finger, the ring goes like:

===X===

with the X stretched out and curvy.

It looks mostly like:
except mine is thinner in both dimensions, and the inside keeps a comphy circular shape.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

bassett

Postby bassett » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 am UTC

I'm getting a twist put in my class ring. The jewler said it would cost around $50. Not bad for being able to smugly roll my eyes whenever anyone asks from now on.

pengcognito

Postby pengcognito » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

It's actually quite comfortable in chainmail.

jeeneeus

Postby jeeneeus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:35 am UTC

I just started reading the webcomic and I really like it, but one thing about this particular strip has always irked me. Isn't the bracelet more Möbius than Escher? Didn't Möbius have the strip with one side and Escher made impossible contructs, which by definition means it couldn't be Escher if it can exist in real life? Don't mean to sound pedantic or anything, it just annoys me somewhat.

GoldenGryffin

Postby GoldenGryffin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I found chainmail very comfortable as an accessory, just try warming it to skin temperature before putting it on or you're gonna amuse anyone who happens to be around at the time, and whatever you do you can't stop it being so heavy! :]

v1ND

Postby v1ND » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Found a place where you could actually get this bracelet done. Nice curve too, not too abrupt. The site does copper, gold and silver stuff but this one only seems to be in stirling silver.

Minimum you would pay is about 80. With max character of 270 and engraving starting at 22 I doubt 4 characters would cost more than $22 though.

http://www.mobiusproductsandservices.com/

carnivorousfungi

Re: 0088: "Escher Bracelet"

Postby carnivorousfungi » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 am UTC

Hi, I'm considering ordering some silicone (livestrong style) bracelets with 'wwed' written on them. I'd try to figure out a process to cut them and melt the ends back together. They'd probably be a bit weaker than regular ones due to this, but I'd work something out to reinforce them. They'd be a bit more comfortable, as they are flexible. I'd probably sell them for about $5 including shipping. Would anyone be interested?

computacat

Postby computacat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

I believe the bracelet shown in the drawing is a depiction of a "Mobius" strip.
If I am correct, then the inscription should be WWMD and the caption should read "What would Mobius do?"

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:17 am UTC

computacat wrote:I believe the bracelet shown in the drawing is a depiction of a "Mobius" strip.
If I am correct, then the inscription should be WWMD and the caption should read "What would Mobius do?"

August Ferdinand Möbius was a theoretical mathematician. While he came up with the basic design, for Mobius it only existed in theoretical space. Also, it wasn't just Mobius who came up with the idea: Johann Benedict Listing also came up with the idea at about the same time, but also being a theoretical mathematician he also never built one.

M.C. Escher, on the other hand, was a research mathematician working to combine mathematics and physical representational art. For Escher the creation of the physical was the important part, not just the theory. If anyone was likely to DO a ring shaped like a Mobius/Listing strip, it was Escher, not Mobius or Listing.

Mobius/Listing came up with the concept, but Escher implemented it. Thus WWED, not WWMD or WWLD, because theoretical math is not about the DO.

Amariel

Postby Amariel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

So I'm 7 years late to the party, but after I read this comic I had to make the bracelet.

gladiolas

Postby gladiolas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:21 am UTC

I might as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

Plus...

A mathematician's notes on it...

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover ... -book.html

Some SF-related notes...

http://www.daviddarling.info/encycloped ... _band.html

It's also possible to make 3-D versions of Escher prints.
http://blog.stratasys.com/2012/08/28/3d ... 3d-models/

A mobius ringworld would be cool.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”