0496: "Secretary: Part 3"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Kal_Torak » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:13 am UTC

This one is made of roflsauce, but I don't like how much it puts BHM on the defensive. It makes him appear weaker. He's supposed to be more suave and superior than that.
User avatar
Kal_Torak
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby BwaHaHa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Firnagzen wrote:Impossible. That's not the BHM we all know and [love/hate*]. He can't possibly be arrested.

And even if he were arrested, the ways he broke out of prison would far exceed the reasons he got chucked in in the first place.

*Delete as appropiate


Arrested? I don't think you understand. The senators have to confirm new Presidential appointments. They're only bringing up Black Hat Man's convoluted past to determine whether he is fit for a position of power in the federal government.
Image
Now there are three of them.
There are three ____.
User avatar
BwaHaHa
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Quixotess » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 am UTC

xkcd wrote:Oh man I'm excited about the rest of this arc. I'm tempted to scan and post them right now.

<3

Yeah, watch as no one attempts to dissuade you from this.

The midcomic jokes for this one weren't as good as in S2 (it would have been better to *see* those shenanigans) but the ending promises plotting more epic than anything! Whee!
Raise up the torch and light the way.
User avatar
Quixotess
No. Cookies.
 
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Funny, just a few hours ago, I was thinking how amusing it'd be to give a jerk his comeuppance by getting a group of people to flip his car upside-down in the driveway. (Which would probably damage the roof and windows pretty good from the weight.) I like this idea better though. :twisted:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ysth » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:23 am UTC

includemaliciousintent wrote:Stallman [has] to be in this one!

If only to get his katana back from the Ronpaul.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
User avatar
ysth
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby qinwamascot » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Whatever happens here will be possibly more epic than the upcoming election (which is in the not-so-epic to somewhat-epic range, while this is likely to become uber-epic).
Quiznos>Subway
User avatar
qinwamascot
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:50 am UTC
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ysth » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Me: Do you have any Perfboard?

Random Radio Shack employee: What's Perfboard?


If I remember my last visit correctly, the rRSe would have done an inventory search on the computer, told you "no", followed by you happening to see Perfboard on a shelf on your way out.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
User avatar
ysth
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ysth » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:33 am UTC

Kain wrote:I plead the first! The theft was just my free expression of the lax security protocols regarding the submarines!
The classic case of pleading the first, albeit before a House, not Senate, committee.
Last edited by ysth on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
User avatar
ysth
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Cooley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 am UTC

Oh my god. Mr. Munroe acknowledged me by name!

My life is complete. Well, meh, I guess not, but this is still incredible!
Cooley
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 am UTC
Location: Hemet, California

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby weex » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Been a lurker for a bit but had to join for this. If you're a blimp, you have yeild right of way to a balloon. Not sure if that's important here but it was just the sort of arcane rule I thought xkcd appeciators would ummm...appreciate.
Salvador Dali wrote:Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Simple Pen Art, now with an Archive page.
User avatar
weex
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am UTC

BwaHaHa wrote:
Firnagzen wrote:Impossible. That's not the BHM we all know and [love/hate*]. He can't possibly be arrested.

And even if he were arrested, the ways he broke out of prison would far exceed the reasons he got chucked in in the first place.

*Delete as appropiate


Arrested? I don't think you understand. The senators have to confirm new Presidential appointments. They're only bringing up Black Hat Man's convoluted past to determine whether he is fit for a position of power in the federal government.

But the hearings specifically say they're reading from his "arrest record"... I suspect that's what Firnagzen's referring to...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
 
Posts: 7172
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Banter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 am UTC

I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg just became the most Wikipedia-ed woman on the internet for a day.
Banter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:06 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby therocket » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:47 am UTC

rwald wrote:Also, is there some pun with auto-troll shuffle I'm missing? I understand what he actually did, but it sounds like the setup for a horrible pun.


truffle shuffle? Maybe?
therocket
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby TheHand » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Randall has been known to go for the pun on occasion.
User avatar
TheHand
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Elipongo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Banter wrote:I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg just became the most Wikipedia-ed woman on the internet for a day.


I dunno', I'd bet most xkcd'ers know their recent Supreme Court Justices. I think that Clarence Thomas' confirmation hearings were the most entertaining what with all the talk of pubic hair in Coca-cola and such.
User avatar
Elipongo
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 am UTC
Location: Upper West Side, New York City, NY

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ouin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am UTC

BHM's resume is quite impressive..
I even heard a chair break while reading the whole squirrel/fax/vista part.
I don't like signatures.
ouin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 am UTC
Location: Paris (FR)

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby thebeaky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 am UTC

Firnagzen wrote:Impossible. That's not the BHM we all know and [love/hate*]. He can't possibly be arrested.

And even if he were arrested, the ways he broke out of prison would far exceed the reasons he got chucked in in the first place.

*Delete as appropiate


[love/hate] why worry about which, I think the two are not mutually exclusive.

I am also looking forward to cory's arrival.

very much enjoying this 'arc' I think people are calling it.
thebeaky
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 11:27 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Chromana » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 am UTC

What is this "plead the first/third/fifth" thing?
User avatar
Chromana
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ClassholeInTraining » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:49 am UTC

I really thought that there would have been a reference to nerd-sniping in this comic.
I'm more of a classy asshole a class-hole if you will-BlackHatMan
Become a Class-hole today and get a free cake.
Spoiler:
The Cake Is A Lie

We Class-holes can win a game of Connect-Four in three moves
Jesus can walk on water,but i can swim on land.
User avatar
ClassholeInTraining
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:25 pm UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Chromana wrote:What is this "plead the first/third/fifth" thing?


I'm not quite sure where to start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleading_the_Fifth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights#Amendments

The joke is that you expect that he misspoke, but it turns out he meant what he said, even though it makes no sense. It's similar to this bit from Monty Python's Travel Agency sketch:

A: Anyway, you're interested in one of our holidays are you?
C: Yes thats right, I saw your advert in the bolour supplement.
A: The what?
C: The bolour supplement.
A: The colour supplement?
C: Yes thats right. Im afraid I cant say the letter B
A: C?
C: Yes. Its all due to a trauma I suffered when I was a
Sboolboy. I was attacked by a bat.
A: Ah, a cat?
C: No a bat.

...Does that help?
User avatar
super_aardvark
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Magma » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Fixed:

Image

Other fixes:
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Magma
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Adventurer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:40 am UTC

Elipongo wrote:
Banter wrote:I think Ruth Bader Ginsburg just became the most Wikipedia-ed woman on the internet for a day.


I dunno', I'd bet most xkcd'ers know their recent Supreme Court Justices...


American readers maybe, but xkcd readership is global. Here in the UK, the reference went straight over my head. :?
Adventurer
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:38 am UTC
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Surely BHG would have been sent to prison for a very very long time for vaporising someone?
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo


Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.
Paranoid__Android
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: Nottingham during term time, UK

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby ysth » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am UTC

xkcd wrote:Thanks for catching my miswrite, cooley! Yesterday's errors stayed for a long time because of a complicated dance of filenames I managed wherein every time I corrected an error, I brought back an old one without noticing.
*cough* mumble revision control mumble *cough*
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
User avatar
ysth
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Micirio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:
Chromana wrote:What is this "plead the first/third/fifth" thing?


I'm not quite sure where to start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleading_the_Fifth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights#Amendments

The joke is that you expect that he misspoke, but it turns out he meant what he said, even though it makes no sense. It's similar to this bit from Monty Python's Travel Agency sketch:

A: Anyway, you're interested in one of our holidays are you?
C: Yes thats right, I saw your advert in the bolour supplement.
A: The what?
C: The bolour supplement.
A: The colour supplement?
C: Yes thats right. Im afraid I cant say the letter B
A: C?
C: Yes. Its all due to a trauma I suffered when I was a
Sboolboy. I was attacked by a bat.
A: Ah, a cat?
C: No a bat.

...Does that help?


So it's kinda like the Chewbacca defense...
Micirio
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Paranoid Android wrote:Surely BHG would have been sent to prison for a very very long time for vaporising someone?

Surely BHG would never allow himself to be sent to prison?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
 
Posts: 3308
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Darth Eru » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I think the "auto-troll shuffle" may be a reference to the Kansas City Shuffle.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

There are 2 types of people in the world: those who know hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Dvorak > QWERTY
User avatar
Darth Eru
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Synthuir » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

includemaliciousintent wrote:Also, I don't think anyone has posted this, but Obama already wants someone to take this position:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story? ... 306&page=1


Actually, I did, but thanks.

Oh me yarm this is like the best best best best of the best comics ever I cannot wait Oh me yarm!
:P
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.
User avatar
Synthuir
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby pyrodude150 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

i called it so hard in the thread for Part 2

RE: Secretary Part 2

pyrodude150 wrote:
Synthuir wrote:I wonder where BHG went, he can't possibly still be in his appartment.


In his own blimp, unlike any blimp this world has ever seen, and its in pursuit of Ron Pauls blimp.

epic blimp battle to come?
Mekmek wrote: try crushing an egg with your hand for further understanding of the topic.
pyrodude150
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Is the Hat guy the personification of /b/ ?
Apollo
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Aubron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Kal_Torak wrote:This one is made of roflsauce, but I don't like how much it puts BHM on the defensive. It makes him appear weaker. He's supposed to be more suave and superior than that.


Of course BHG knows they're coming. One has to hope his girlfriend is preparing for something to stop them... I miss her.
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.
User avatar
Aubron
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 pm UTC
Location: 36.019756,-78.920157

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby pyrodude150 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Apollo wrote:Is the Hat guy the personification of /b/ ?


nah, if you read trawl back through the archives and read a few of the comics (like allllllllll of them) you'll find that he is a recurring sociopathic self-dubbed "classhole" character

Darth Eru wrote:I think the "auto-troll shuffle" may be a reference to the Kansas City Shuffle.


????

i looked that up and all i got was some song... care to explain? sounds epic if done in real life.
Last edited by pyrodude150 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mekmek wrote: try crushing an egg with your hand for further understanding of the topic.
pyrodude150
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Aubron » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:Oh man I'm excited about the rest of this arc. I'm tempted to scan and post them right now.

<3


DO IT.
Break free of society.
Defy the mold.
DO IT.
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.
User avatar
Aubron
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:45 pm UTC
Location: 36.019756,-78.920157

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Dubius » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

I think it would have been funnier if he plead the Second Amendment as his right to own a nuclear submarine.
Dubius
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Paranoid Android wrote:Surely BHG would have been sent to prison for a very very long time for vaporising someone?

Surely BHG would never allow himself to be sent to prison?


Well he got arrested for it

Dont they execute people for murder or manslaughter over in the US?
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo


Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.
Paranoid__Android
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: Nottingham during term time, UK

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

Wait, so he uses the submarine to defend the moat to keep troops out of his house??
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
User avatar
The Scyphozoa
 
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby kevang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

ouin wrote:I even heard a chair break while reading the whole squirrel/fax/vista part.


Can someone explain the squirrel/fax/Vista part to me?
kevang
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby twmcneil » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

"Feed a squirrel through a fax machine?"

That's a terrible way to treat a fax machine.
twmcneil
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby MalumOpus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Paranoid Android wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
Paranoid Android wrote:Surely BHG would have been sent to prison for a very very long time for vaporising someone?

Surely BHG would never allow himself to be sent to prison?


Well he got arrested for it

Dont they execute people for murder or manslaughter over in the US?


Well, he vaporised someone, in an empty store. No body, no witnesses, no motive. Maybe he disassembled the death-ray before the police arrived. I guess they knew it was him but just couldn't make it stick ...
User avatar
MalumOpus
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: Secretary: Part 3

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

When I read part 1, I knew this was going to be awesome. I'm glad to have been proved right. I love pleading the third amendment to justify the legality of having a nuclear submarine.

I hadn't even thought about the arrest record, but as people have brought it up, I'm going to imagine that it goes something like this...

Police: You're under arrest
BHM: OK
Taken to police station
Police: Confess! Tell us what you did to that car / float / meeting / person / squirrel!
BHM: OK. *Tells them exactly what he did and why*
Police: Ow, my brain hurts! There's no way we'll get a jury to believe this, just go away please.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
User avatar
Plasma Man
 
Posts: 2029
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], ronaldkr and 17 guests