0499: "Scantron"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

chernobyl

Re: "Scantron" Discussion

Postby chernobyl » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

Aaron Haynes wrote:A teacher once had us do an accompanying essay section inside the area marked "DO NOT WRITE IN THIS BOX" in big, threatening, non-serifed letters. It really fucked with my head the first time. Apparently the scantron had no trouble grading it.

Scantron can grade an essay? :shock: :mrgreen:

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

Scantron evolves into scanTron!!!

Also, I always wondered why they didn't do tests on computers. I found out last year. Our test was on a computer, and it was administered via the ugliest and least intuitive GUI thinkable.
It switched the PC's resolution to 800x600 before starting, didn't use fullscreen, was written in Java Swing, utilized ~40% of the 15 inch screen, and ran alongside a terminal! :shock:

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:I've never had one of those "tick-a-box-or-bubble-or-something-alien" tests on paper. Had one last year, but it was computerized (had to use a lot of liquid paper (LCD anyone? (That's almost OCD (Oh really? (Maybe not?))))) (Did i forget any parentheses? >: (No! =D (I think... (They look like exclaimation points. o.o)))). Had to write whole paragraphs; sentences at best. Screw massacres - (writer's cramp/mental trauma/paranoia and weeks of wait/serious OCDity over five written pages) ">" Scantron or whatever.

As for an actual bubble test, I'd go with smileys. (:>)

EDIT: As a kid, I was always afraid of scanning things in case my image turned out to be a virus. Now there are .jpg viruses, I believe. I was right. Partially. Maybe. A little. Somewhat. << I read Donald Duck too much.

EDIT2: The guy next to me tried to CTRL+Z away my post. o.O

HAHA! You are a progammer or similar, for you pay attention to your parentheses! lol :D

Mancho

Postby Mancho » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

How timely. My local election (early voting) ballot gave me a scantron flashback. The ballot requires use of a pen, though. Strangely, I was more concerned with filling the ballot in correctly than I ever was during a test.

ins0mniaque

Postby ins0mniaque » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

ShadowCode wrote:Anyway scantrons work by shining a blue light on the sheet (all the writing is blue, and doesnt show up); as long as your marks are dark enough for the sensor to pick up, it doesnt matter if you marked in blood, it will work.

What about us, you insensitive clod ? (oops, wrong site meme...)

georgenh16

Postby georgenh16 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

Wendy, right? :)

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

You used a #3 pencil? INFEDEL! :evil:

Honestly, I've never really had a problem with the Scantron stuff.

The Last Sheikah

Postby The Last Sheikah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

First time for a long time that I've physically lol'd. Horah.
I've always wondered why the blocks for names in those things are so big. Surely there's an easier way?

Although I guess spellin your name in binary might be a bit difficult for some school children...

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Sometimes I wonder if these Lenhart comics are not the making-of comics of BHM.

atrain wrote:I hate filling in those %$@% bubbles. In 2008, they can't come up w/any better OCR than that?

Is this a foreign thing? In this part of the world they're called OMR systems (Optical mark reader - OCR is an exam board ;-) )
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

Mremaknu

Postby Mremaknu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

I find myself wondering just where that little delinquent got ahold of a #3 pencil in the first place.

I've never even SEEN one.

Edit: Backreading, I thought of a question that might be answered here... I know what the Wilhelm scream is, but is there a name for that really long stock scream that's played over, as an example, the title sequence for AAAHHH Real Monsters? There are millions of other uses to pick from, but that's the one I remember off the top of my head at 9:45 am when I should be working on classwork.
Last edited by Mremaknu on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Sheikah

Postby The Last Sheikah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

The1exile wrote:Sometimes I wonder if these Lenhart comics are not the making-of comics of BHM.

atrain wrote:I hate filling in those %$@% bubbles. In 2008, they can't come up w/any better OCR than that?

Is this a foreign thing? In this part of the world they're called OMR systems (Optical mark reader - OCR is an exam board ;-) )

OCR can be Optical Character Recognition, but I've never seen a test that uses that.

ancientcampus

Postby ancientcampus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

I've always wondered if that would ever happen. Now I know! :D

Jirin

Postby Jirin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

MCAS are such a scam. (Think about it. It's an anagram people!)

An entire education plan designed around forcing school districts to spend large amounts of money on having the kids memorize a laundry list of factoids they're not going to retain a week after the test, instead of gaining independent study and critical thinking skills or having any meaningful discussion about the facts being memorized.

And then there's the SAT, which only exist to give colleges an objective excuse to only admit people who can afford expensive study aides.

Mremaknu

Postby Mremaknu » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Jirin wrote:And then there's the SAT, which only exist to give colleges an objective excuse to only admit people who can afford expensive study aides.

Silly you. That's why poor people take the ACT!

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Synthuir wrote:No, I think everyone took it as the machine blowing up... other than that the comic wouldn't make any sense.

Your brain works in mysterious ways.

Uh huh, uh huh... the sound of a gunshot, a scream, blood everywhere.... why would the scantron machine be in the classroom anyway?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

xprezonfirex wrote: HB stands for Hard and Bold

I like my pencils how I like my men?

reminiscence

Postby reminiscence » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

After reading the strip, I stared at the screen for a couple of minutes, unable to understand your weird American pencil-numberness.
Then I went here and I almost started crying. I'd had a Scantron (well, they're called something else over here, but for all practical purposes are identical) last week. A friend of mine would've failed it if she hadn't realised she'd skipped a question.
By the way, I did it with a 2B (what was the American equivalent again?). So very smudgy.

Mancho

Postby Mancho » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
Synthuir wrote:No, I think everyone took it as the machine blowing up... other than that the comic wouldn't make any sense.

Uh huh, uh huh... the sound of a gunshot, a scream, blood everywhere.... why would the scantron machine be in the classroom anyway?

uh... maybe to show the effects of using a #3 pencil on a scantron? maybe? I'm pretty sure that's what the comic was about, right?

jjane

Postby jjane » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

sargeras0000 wrote:I make circles going from the middle out. It works perfectly.

i disagree! outside-in is best!

Fleshpiston

Postby Fleshpiston » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Did anyone else read the title of this comic as "Scranton"? I guess I have Joe Biden and The Office on the mind.

mootinator

Postby mootinator » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Mremaknu wrote:I find myself wondering just where that little delinquent got ahold of a #3 pencil in the first place.

I've never even SEEN one.

The place you're most likely to want anything other than a #2 is a drawing and/or drafting class.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/811166/Dixon-Ticonderoga-Pencils-3-Hard-Lead/

Also, 1337geek/argonaut. School shooting? Honestly, it's amazing how some people refuse to let logic and common sense prevent them from being offended.

SimonBob

Postby SimonBob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Well, for a second I thought someone was going like, "#3 pencil? Not in my school!" And then blasting on someone else at random. See, normally the Scantron machines they use to grade the tests aren't right outside the classroom door, so what really offends me is the lack of scholastic accuracy.
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.

coinich

Postby coinich » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

SimonBob wrote:Well, for a second I thought someone was going like, "#3 pencil? Not in my school!" And then blasting on someone else at random. See, normally the Scantron machines they use to grade the tests aren't right outside the classroom door, so what really offends me is the lack of scholastic accuracy.

What about across the hall in the teacher's lounge? :wink:

yadumey

Postby yadumey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Mremaknu wrote:Edit: Backreading, I thought of a question that might be answered here... I know what the Wilhelm scream is, but is there a name for that really long stock scream that's played over, as an example, the title sequence for AAAHHH Real Monsters? There are millions of other uses to pick from, but that's the one I remember off the top of my head at 9:45 am when I should be working on classwork.

I always thought that WAS a Wilhelm Scream.

On second thought, no. Just found a youtube video on it. No.

Whatever it is, the scream was also in Beethoven's 2nd, when the balcony gives away and everyone calls into the river/lake. Finding another Youtube video, there is no name for that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXkfb7Ok0o

raisedbywolffs

Postby raisedbywolffs » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

The trick is that you don't actually have to fill in all of the bubbles. The scantron only picks up a pattern, so if you draw a line through each bubble, or even just put in a dot, you're good. This always works for me, and apparently it can save you a lot of time on the SAT.

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Thank goodness for the forum, that's what I say, or this'd be another one I wouldn't understand.

One thing is clear though - someone needs to buy one of those machines, and test what really works.Pencils of various numbers, pens, filling in the circle carefully, just putting a line through the middle, colouring over the lines... We need more data!
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Bubble tests were always hard for me because I'd look for patterns in the answers. And if I found *any*, I'd assume that it was wrong, because it's supposed to be random.

Then I learned statistics.

Actually, I just took the SATs on Saturday. I was very confused at the part saying that you couldn't write the essay in pen. (The essay is scanned and sent to human readers, if you didn't know.) According to the test, ink doesn't show up on the scanner. How is that possible? The shine-the-blue-light thing that a reader above me posted makes sense for blue ink. Do they just say NO ink to alleviate confusion?

katwingz18
Location: A cubicle - no, half of a cubicle, actually - somewhere in Indiana

Postby katwingz18 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

SimonBob wrote:Well, for a second I thought someone was going like, "#3 pencil? Not in my school!" And then blasting on someone else at random. See, normally the Scantron machines they use to grade the tests aren't right outside the classroom door, so what really offends me is the lack of scholastic accuracy.

Waaaaay back when I was in middle school, our science teacher's quizzes and tests were pretty much all done via the scantron method, to the point where he actually kept a grading machine on a table next to his desk. Once everyone had turned in their sheets, he'd run them through the machine and then hand them back to everyone and go over the answers for us.

It was kinda cool, actually, although whenever the machine came across a wrong answer it would make this loud 'snickt' sound, and so if a test had a lot of wrong answers, everyone would know (and start praying that it wasn't their test).
Afterism (n) - A concise, clever statement you don't think of until too late.

telkanuru

Postby telkanuru » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

dharmamama wrote:I like my pencils how I like my men?

Filed to a point!
Life in a box is better than no life at all, I expect. You'd have a chance, at least. You could lie there thinking, "Well. At least I'm not dead."
-R&G are Dead

Siguy

Postby Siguy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

I have had tests that seemed to have been machine-graded ever since elementary school. I was always quite amused by how much they stressed that you must use a #2 pencil, and a #2 pencil only. I hadn't seen Scantron grading papers until recently, but I think it was those which were graded by a small machine in the classroom. I don't like the little rectangular bubbles, much prefer circular or oval ones.

I can't believe the people who think this is referencing a school shooting. You can tell that it's an explosion, not a gunshot because there are prominent explosion effects such as her hair being blown back. Plus, guns (usually) would be represented either as *BANG* or *RATATAT*, or a combination of the two. *BLAM* is more common for mid sized explosions. I don't get how all this would trigger a shooting, either.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

We had a psychological assement thingy for predicting grades in GCSE at my school, with the rectangular things to fill in.

One guy circled every-single-one. Of ~600. Took him ages to fix it.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Hasufel wrote:"And the directions said to make a dark mark, so a drew a skull with a snake coming out of its mouth!"

I actually did that one in Grade 9! No malfunction whatsoever, the machine didn't even get cursed.

izzy84075

Postby izzy84075 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

katwingz18 wrote:

Waaaaay back when I was in middle school, our science teacher's quizzes and tests were pretty much all done via the scantron method, to the point where he actually kept a grading machine on a table next to his desk. Once everyone had turned in their sheets, he'd run them through the machine and then hand them back to everyone and go over the answers for us.

It was kinda cool, actually, although whenever the machine came across a wrong answer it would make this loud 'snickt' sound, and so if a test had a lot of wrong answers, everyone would know (and start praying that it wasn't their test).

My networking instructor uses scantrons for a lot of the stuff... At the beginning of the school year, we're required to do a safety test, and we're required to pass it with 100%... The very first time we took it, you could literally hear the class failing because of that sound... Those of us in the second year started laughing, and the first years looked at us like we were crazy... Then they got their tests back.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Aaron Haynes wrote:A teacher once had us do an accompanying essay section inside the area marked "DO NOT WRITE IN THIS BOX" in big, threatening, non-serifed letters. It really fucked with my head the first time. Apparently the scantron had no trouble grading it.

Or maybe that's just what we were led to believe.

If your test had a DO NOT WRITE IN THIS BOX it was intended to have both sides scanned in one pass. Hopefully your teacher knew the obverse area wasn't being used. Oh, dammit! I knew I didn't want to to get into this discussion!!! *takes mouse and klunks head*

Talk about bringing back memories. I never worked for Scantron but was a designer for for their main competitor for many years (whom Scantron just bought out last year, well after I left). You people think YOU have nightmares about "a scantron"?!? Please.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Alder26 wrote:Thank goodness for the forum, that's what I say, or this'd be another one I wouldn't understand.

One thing is clear though - someone needs to buy one of those machines, and test what really works.Pencils of various numbers, pens, filling in the circle carefully, just putting a line through the middle, colouring over the lines... We need more data!

It's very easy kill a "scantron" if you know how they work.

As for response marks, you'd be surprised what you can put these things through and still get data. Of course at some point you no longer get good data. So that's what all the marking rules are about. You wouldn't want someone to goose-egg a college entrance exam because they figured a sharpie might be easier to use.

So all the "use #2 pencil and fill the circle completely or their will be explosions" is about insuring the best data integrity. A pen might work. Then again it might not, depending on the pen. This is standardized testing, right down to the standard #2 pencil that is used.

It has to be. Or else you wind up with some whiny-ass brat going "...or maybe I flunked because your dumb scanner didn't read my lime green gel pen right. You didn't say I couldn't use my lime green gel pen! My dad is calling his lawyer now... "
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 am UTC

argonaut wrote:Sorry, Randall. School shootings are in the same humor category as sexual abuse and genocide: you can use 'em in a joke, but you'd better be really damned sure it's funny. And the "#2 pencil" gag was tired and old when I took my first Scantron test.

Thumbs down on this one, but we won't be feeding you to the lions just yet...

1337geek wrote:

Oh.. my... God, you two have no idea what the hell you're talking about. That's just horrible. Redirect your cynical thoughts elsewhere.

mootinator wrote:Also, 1337geek/argonaut. School shooting? Honestly, it's amazing how some people refuse to let logic and common sense prevent them from being offended.

Siguy wrote:I can't believe the people who think this is referencing a school shooting. You can tell that it's an explosion, not a gunshot because there are prominent explosion effects such as her hair being blown back. Plus, guns (usually) would be represented either as *BANG* or *RATATAT*, or a combination of the two. *BLAM* is more common for mid sized explosions. I don't get how all this would trigger a shooting, either.

Thank you.
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 am UTC

argonaut wrote:Sorry, Randall. School shootings are in the same humor category as sexual abuse and genocide: you can use 'em in a joke, but you'd better be really damned sure it's funny. And the "#2 pencil" gag was tired and old when I took my first Scantron test.

Thumbs down on this one, but we won't be feeding you to the lions just yet...

Shooting? I had just assumed that the machine blew up, taking an operator with it...

Did I just fail to get it then?
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:56 am UTC

FearfulFerret wrote:To my knowledge, I've never had a problem with scantron tests, despite much worrying. And they don't stop at high school. I really can't wait to get out of these huge lecture classes with 300+ kids taking exams together.

Ha. You never had to grade them. I once TA'd for one of those 300+ lecture classes. We had to grade all the essay portions by hand, then run all of them through the Scantron. After that, we had to enter all the grades into the computer. At least we only had 5 tests per semester, and we all sort of took turns with the scanning/entering parts.

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Red Hal wrote:
Evilscissors wrote:I love that 'AIEEE' is in this comic. It doesn't get used enough.

When I read this comic, that translated in my head to a Wilhelm scream.

I personally translated it into the AIEEE from the Johnny Quest parody in Freakazoid.

Yes! Thank you - that was going through my head, too, although I had attributed it to all the Hero Boy clones...

"What have you done, Intern?!" :lol:

soniku64

Postby soniku64 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:18 am UTC

When I saw the title I thought of the 13 episode of Teen Girls Squad

Neon Rain

Postby Neon Rain » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 am UTC

And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”