0508: "Drapes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Re: "Drapes" Discussion

Postby 6453893 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:
muteKi wrote:Wikipedia says this: Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats, with padding, springs, webbing, and fabric or leather covers.

I've come back merely to suggest that, in fact, the odd response would somehow relate to the lovely lady's boobs.

I've never seen the inside of a woman's breast before . . . I must investigate this! Google images to the rescue . . .

EDIT: Google images was a BAD idea! Please, people, don't google it . . . NEVER EVER google it . . . its a very bad idea :cry:

VandalDidTricks wrote:I hate to make this tall of a quote stack almost as much as I hate to start sentences with the phrase "As a math major--" however,

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Afakaz wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
Not Jeff wrote:
sargeras0000 wrote:So Jeff...what is the answer?

Does the carpet really match the drapes?

:mrgreen:

Check the name, it's Not Jeff. And it only matches in eloquence, never in style.

That's a really classy answer, ~Jeff.

Did you perhaps mean !Jeff? Approximately Jeff doesn't make much sense to me

It shouldn't. I was using the tilde in its role as a logical operator.

Come on, give me some credit.

As a math major, I can say that the tilde sign (~) is perfectly acceptable as a logical operator and means pretty much the same thing as a bang (!) for you computer science people.

I love continueing on pointlessly long quote stacks for the hell of it! :twisted:

Also, has anyone encountered someone who has naturally dark hair but a naturally ginger beard?

So do I.

And yes, my Dad had dark brown hair and a ginger moustache, when he let it grow. I guess in his case, the drapes didn't match the abrazador.

Postby 6453893 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 am UTC

Unforgiven wrote:
VandalDidTricks wrote:As a math major, I can say that the tilde sign (~) is perfectly acceptable as a logical operator and means pretty much the same thing as a bang (!) for you computer science people.

In C-derived languages, ~ means bitwise NOT as opposed to logical NOT. It is important to note the difference, because if you start with "bool b = true;", then !b == 0 (false), but ~b == -2 (which is still true according to C's "non-zero is true" system).

If you use a more modern variant like Java or C#, they won't let you use ~ on booleans or ! on numerals.

But we're not talking about C or any other computing language. He explicitly stated he was using it in the context of mathematical logic. He's effectively stated that 2+2=4 in regular mathematics, and you tried to counter by saying 2+2=5 in some strange form of mathematics completely unrelated to the current discussion, therefore he's wrong.

kurennia

Postby kurennia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 am UTC

VandalDidTricks wrote:I hate to make this tall of a quote stack almost as much as I hate to start sentences with the phrase "As a math major--" however,

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Afakaz wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
Not Jeff wrote:

Check the name, it's Not Jeff. And it only matches in eloquence, never in style.

As a math major, I can say that the tilde sign (~) is perfectly acceptable as a logical operator and means pretty much the same thing as a bang (!) for you computer science people.

What, no love for “¬”?

Code: Select all

$ cat .signature

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 am UTC

I don't know if it's 'cos I'm English, but I haven't come across that term before ... we would use "collar and cuffs" rather than "carpet and drapes".

Perhaps (like me) she thought he was referring to soft furnishings, and needs a new sofa 'cos it doesn't match the room!

Aniviller

Postby Aniviller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:12 am UTC

kurennia wrote:

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Afakaz wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
Not Jeff wrote:

What, no love for “¬”?

Absolutely not. It's totally strange symbol, I can't possibly find it in any font (I'm not even sure about its TeX code) and it feels wrong writing it by hand. I prever overline notation, like average or complex conjugation (for which I prefer <x> and x* anyway).

And I do love how you can abuse notation in C/C++ and use "wrong" operators and still get it right. Especially exchanging & and && (you can bypass left-to-right evaluation w/out brackets because they have different precedences).

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 am UTC

I have to say, as a natural ginger (although my beard be mostly blonde and a little black oddly) I can confirm lol but I'll be honest, if a stranger asked me they'd get a similar response (maybe less agreeable)

VandalDidTricks

Postby VandalDidTricks » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Unforgiven wrote:In C-derived languages, ~ means bitwise NOT as opposed to logical NOT. It is important to note the difference, because if you start with "bool b = true;", then !b == 0 (false), but ~b == -2 (which is still true according to C's "non-zero is true" system).

If you use a more modern variant like Java or C#, they won't let you use ~ on booleans or ! on numerals.

Wow. Thanks for teaching me something whether or not you were trying to contradict my point. I haven't taken many formal computer science classes (just taught myself for my own nerdy purposes) and I had never really separated logical and bitwise boolean operations as separate beasts in my head, but that makes a lot of sense.

Aniviller wrote:
kurennia wrote:What, no love for “¬”?

Absolutely not. It's totally strange symbol, I can't possibly find it in any font (I'm not even sure about its TeX code) and it feels wrong writing it by hand.

I'm with Aniviller on this one. Using “¬” just doesn't feel right, although I can probably count the number of times I've needed to write either of those symbols on one hand.

Only in xkcd forums can we commandeer a thread about redheads and talk about boolean logic instead.
Last edited by VandalDidTricks on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taza

Postby taza » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am UTC

Not Jeff wrote:As for the strip (rather than thread wars), it gave me a little "I've been there" moment. If you're a redhead, you start hearing that damn question once puberty sets in, and then you just keep hearing it, regardless of gender (though I imagine girls have it way worse, but I've still gotten it a lot.) You can either get really annoyed, or start giving cryptic answers and walk on.

Naturally red hair/beard/body hair and NEVER heard this question IRL.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am UTC

We're already doing some genital jokes, and Wikipedia suggests this for upholstery: "Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats". What does seats mean?

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 am UTC

Bani wrote:Another possible interpretation is that while the guy was talking about hair, the girl was really thinking about decoration.

It's a solid argument, and I endorse it. (all apologies to Jerry Holkins)

My personal interpretation? Skin. Just to fuck with the dude. Or just one of them, particularly the latter applicable to the above.

(on a somewhat related but not really note: Can anyone identify the redhead in Beck's new video (Gamma Ray)? I think I know, but I have no verification)

Nemphael wrote:We're already doing some genital jokes, and Wikipedia suggests this for upholstery: "Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats". What does seats mean?

Ummmmmm, chairs? Recliners? Couches? Sofas? Perhaps, ottomans? Surely, you've heard the term seat in the colloquial before, right?

(if that was sarcasm, it was pretty bad, no offense)
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:51 am UTC

The alt-text was spot on. My thought process ran through Wait, what? to OOOohhhhhh!, back to Wait, what? again.

It's nice to see a bit of colour, too.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Reads the thread, goes back to the comic to check, snorts derisively...

She's a blonde, not a redhead - look - yellow hair!! How can you think that's red?! It's only a shade darker than the smileys - :D

[Am I an elitist redhead? Yes.]
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

jasticE

Re: "Drapes" Discussion (merged)

Postby jasticE » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:25 am UTC

How about: she is wearing a wig? And yes, I'd think she, or the wig, more blonde than red.

tuba_king2341

Postby tuba_king2341 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Alder26 wrote:Reads the thread, goes back to the comic to check, snorts derisively...

She's a blonde, not a redhead - look - yellow hair!! How can you think that's red?! It's only a shade darker than the smileys - :D

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy being the only one thinking she was a blonde. And it makes sense to ask the question if he thought she was a bottle-blonde.
"Oh, I would while away the hours,
Wanking in the flowers, my heart all full of song,
I'd be gliding all the lilies as I waved about my willie,
If I only had a schlong."
-Christopher Moore (Lamb)

OpFHYt5N

Postby OpFHYt5N » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 am UTC

Not Jeff wrote:You can either get really annoyed, or start giving cryptic answers and walk on.

... don't forget insults! For example in this story the redhead could have said:

"At least I've got some hair, you dreary bald dimwit".

This one works on nearly every non-bald person in Britain:

"Shut up mate - your hair's the colour of dog poo!"

Follow up immediately with a punch to the adam's apple and a knee to the groin or face, and then give them a good shoeing once they're on the ground.

Disclaimer: I do not advocate violence. It's just that it would feel so gooood to flatten the next idiot who says something stupid about my red hair.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Wow... this is the first time I've seen a joke whose punchline made *less* sense when you knew the context.

(In other news, I need to update my idiom library for the innuendo scanner. Didn't register a blip.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

¬ is prettier, but ~ is easier to type :) . (Remember, Math is more pure than computer science.)

As to the comic, I don't think she is referring to armpit hair nor arm/leg hair nor any other kind of hair. She either thinks: "You are person number 349521 to ask this idiotic question and I am going to mess with your mind! There is no third type of hair on the body, but you will have to wonder about this for the next weeks :twisted: " or she thinks: "You are person number 349521 to ask this idiotic question. How dare you even ask me something sexual without knowing me? I am going to intentionally misinterpet your question and treat it as if you were really talking about furniture. :twisted:"

Armpit hair and beard hair are pubic hair, too, so as far as I remember from Biology class, these are always the same color as the "carpet".
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Disclaimer: I do not advocate violence. It's just that it would feel so gooood to flatten the next idiot who says something stupid about my red hair.

What about really smart people who say something stupid about your hair?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

And to get into the math discussion (I just can't resist)

I study both physics and mathematics, and I've never ever seen ~ used as 'not' by mathematicians. Or physicists for that matter. In mathematics, the tilde ~ means 'goes as'. For example in the usage E ~ k^2 meaning that E (energy) goes as the square of k (momentum). In other words you don't know an exact formula for E, but you know its quadratic in k.

Rarely it's used as 'approxiately equal' but usually only when the ≈ sign isn't available.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

...that did not register as innuendo at all for me. The only time I've ever heard that phrase was from Sam & Max...

...yup...

Synthuir

Postby Synthuir » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:We're already doing some genital jokes, and Wikipedia suggests this for upholstery: "Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats". What does seats mean?

Uhm... back-side hair, down there?

aggrav8d wrote:New fashion trend: dying armpit hair? I suppose it's still better than BRAIDING...

What does it say that I have all hardwood flooring?

...Then you need help, and very quickly.

I liked this comic, it was short, funny, colorful and confusing! :)
Randall Munroe wrote:Google has solved my problem of urination.
crzftx wrote:You [theoretically] stepped through paper^-1, and called it paper. Maybe you can theoretically step through 1/2, but you've done nothing with paper.

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

tuba_king2341 wrote:
Alder26 wrote:Reads the thread, goes back to the comic to check, snorts derisively...

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy being the only one thinking she was a blonde. And it makes sense to ask the question if he thought she was a bottle-blonde.

Ditto to that!! Maybe people use different internet browsers and they come up as slightly different colours?

Is it bad I had to check what 'upholstery' means? I think its an American term... I tend to think every word I'm unsure of is an American term, though...

Carpet matching the curtains sounds funnier ^_^

Maybe upholstery could mean clothes, underwear or chastity belt...? OK, if she's a red-head, then I just really creeped myself out...

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

heehee okay so I read that and said exactly, "wait, what?" and then looked at the alt text. Then I laughed. And showed my two friends who are here, they each also had the same exact reaction.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

VandalDidTricks wrote:As a math major, I can say that the tilde sign (~) is perfectly acceptable as a logical operator and means pretty much the same thing as a bang (!) for you computer science people.

I thought ~ was just a poor equivalent to ¬ used in some programming languages

Aniviller wrote:Absolutely not. It's totally strange symbol, I can't possibly find it in any font (I'm not even sure about its TeX code) and it feels wrong writing it by hand. I prever overline notation, like average or complex conjugation (for which I prefer <x> and x* anyway).

What do you mean "I can't possibly find it in any font"? It's in every font, and finding characters has nothing to do with the font anyway.

The TeX code is \lnot .

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

Personally, I like the tilde because it is actually on my keyboard.

Usually context would let you tell the difference, I should hope.

almitydave

Postby almitydave » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Well, here's how I interpreted the comic the first time: it looks like she's wearing a blonde wig over natural dark hair, and the guy sees this. "Carpet" (like "rug") is a slang term for toupee, so I though he was making a derisive pun about her obviously fake wig, and she was misinterpreting it as a legitimate question about furnishings. I'd never heard the phrase before.

Not that I'm a redhead, but if a stranger asked me that question, I think I'd respond loudly, "Are you asking me about my pubic hair?!? Are you some kind of pervert!? Get lost before I call the cops!" It seems really inappropriate.

Also, I got my math degree in 2000 and as of that point, ~ was still very much used for logical not at that time, especially in expressions like "~A^~B=~(AvB)". ¬ is character 172 in ISO-8859-1 (extended ASCII). In Windows, type Alt+0172 to get it.
Dave

"If you approach a red light fast enough, it will appear green."

StrixVanAllen

Postby StrixVanAllen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

# Wait, what?!

# *sees the alt text*

# Damn it! Let's burn this cursed wizzard called Randall!
(...)
"God is dead", said Nietzche.
"Nietsche is dead", God replied.
(...)

chalms04

Postby chalms04 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Wasn't "Kick a Ginger Day" last week?

Vonriel

Postby Vonriel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

First time I read it, I looked at it like so: :shock:

Second time I read it, I looked at it like so: :|

Third time I read it, I looked at it like so: :lol:

Personally, this being xkcd, where nothing is truly as it seems, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Randall had meant this to go both ways: She was literally talking both about actual furniture, while also talking about a third type of hair on her body. You guys should know better than to think you know what he thinks he thinks you're thinking he's thinking.

KShap

Postby KShap » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I'm sorry. I was looking for xkcd. I must have clicked cyanide and happiness by mistake.

frogger626

Postby frogger626 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

Vonriel wrote:First time I read it, I looked at it like so: :shock:

Second time I read it, I looked at it like so: :|

Third time I read it, I looked at it like so: :lol:

Personally, this being xkcd, where nothing is truly as it seems, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Randall had meant this to go both ways: She was literally talking both about actual furniture, while also talking about a third type of hair on her body. You guys should know better than to think you know what he thinks he thinks you're thinking he's thinking.

Oh wow.
Did Randall pull a Schrödinger's Comic on us?

Nice.
Admit nothing, deny everything, die controversial.
3.25.09- LEST WE FORGET

OpFHYt5N

Postby OpFHYt5N » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:What about really smart people who say something stupid about your hair?

:roll: Saying stupid things about my hair means they aren't smart.

dharmamama

Postby dharmamama » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

aggrav8d wrote:What does it say that I have all hardwood flooring?

:lol: :lol: Only guys could use that line.

"So, does the carpet match the drapes?"
"I've got wood."

Unless.... she has a Brazilian???

Arro

Postby Arro » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

I'm a natural redhead guy myself, and I got asked this all the time in high school, and occasionally I still do now. It always kind of pissed me off in the past; it was the same with people calling me "firecrotch." It always seemed to be said with hurtful intent. My feeling was "You're making fun of me for the way I was born. How is it any different then making fun of a black person for being black?"

That said, recently I stopped caring and have run with it. I make fun of myself for having red hair more than people make fun of me. Several times it has helped me get girls that have a "thing" for redheads. And also it gives me my individuality. Thank you Randall for giving me a witty comeback the next time some dude asks that and then grins like he made a really clever remark.

EDIT:
dharmamama wrote:"So, does the carpet match the drapes?"
"I've got wood."

#$%@'ing BRILLIANT!

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

jasticE wrote:How about: she is wearing a wig? And yes, I'd think she, or the wig, more blonde than red.

Bingo!

Edit: Although "re-upholstery".
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

borkabrak

Postby borkabrak » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Am I the only one that immediately thought of a merkin?

Quasi-SFW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

josephoenix

Postby josephoenix » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

gormster wrote:MULTIPASS

If you're quoting the 5th element, you are my hero.
I speak the truth that shakes the silent night.

jevans90

Postby jevans90 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Aniviller wrote:
kurennia wrote:

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Afakaz wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
Not Jeff wrote:

What, no love for “¬”?

Absolutely not. It's totally strange symbol, I can't possibly find it in any font (I'm not even sure about its TeX code) and it feels wrong writing it by hand. I prever overline notation, like average or complex conjugation (for which I prefer <x> and x* anyway).

And I do love how you can abuse notation in C/C++ and use "wrong" operators and still get it right. Especially exchanging & and && (you can bypass left-to-right evaluation w/out brackets because they have different precedences).

I have ¬ on my keyboard...

Shift + {button left of 1 and above tab}

Why shouldn't I use button instead of key?

mashakosha

Postby mashakosha » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

The only answer to this comic.
It's a trap.
Upholstery is chest hair.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:

What about really smart people who say something stupid about your hair?
idiot is time/space sensitive. When a genius gets plastered and starts hitting on chicks with terrible, offensive lines he is at that point, an idiot.
aggrav8d wrote:What does it say that I have all hardwood flooring?
you're a waxer.
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Also, has anyone encountered someone who has naturally dark hair but a naturally ginger beard?
lots of times. I like it.
as a person who took math in highschool and is dating a code monkey now, I can also verify that ~, ! and not, do not make an is.
Phoenix '97 wrote:I thought this had to do with the fact that some people are tetrachromats and can distinguish between more colours than 3-colour-visioned people do.
that's blue haired old ladies.
Not Jeff wrote:As for the strip (rather than thread wars), it gave me a little "I've been there" moment. If you're a redhead, you start hearing that damn question once puberty sets in, and then you just keep hearing it, regardless of gender (though I imagine girls have it way worse, but I've still gotten it a lot.) You can either get really annoyed, or start giving cryptic answers and walk on.
This. Seriously, you hear "does the carpet match the curtains" enough, and it just gets really annoying, so she decided to retaliate a bit.

alt text. I haven't heard the term 'fire bush' in quite some time.
Not drapes, draperies! Drape is a verb!

Not Jeff wrote:I'd say maybe upholstery means armpit hair, but that leads to a bad upholdstery pun, and I'd have to shoot myself.
you'd have to hold yourself up at gun point? That is up-hold yoursel...heh..never mind.
sleepygamer wrote:This... This is the first xkcd ever to actually produce the line "Randall, get out of my head!" from me.
Seriously. Just before I read the title-text, I paused and looked at the comic again, and said, out loud, "Wait, what?"
'Tis one of my favourite phrases.
Belial says it a lot.
It was clear to me he wanted her to be a red head, strawberry blond likely, but I kept looking at it and thinking "this really looks more blond than red headed..." meh, it's a stick figure drawing on a computer... But I did notice the red or blonde has black under it...at least on my monitor. I though it was just to make things look more dimensional, but perhaps it has a more joke related purpose.
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”