0511: "Sleet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0511: "Sleet"

Postby EtzHadaat » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:02 am UTC

alt: I mean, I can barely hear myself complaining about Battlestar Galactica.

hahaha. Solitude over comfort sometimes.
Last edited by EtzHadaat on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
EtzHadaat

Re: "Sleet" Discussion

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Mm, makes me think of the hogbutcher for the world . . .
Last edited by japanese_jew on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
japanese_jew

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:05 am UTC

After the first panel I had some trouble because the rest of them didn't go to the tune of "Let it Snow".
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby wizzfizz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Suckers.

In Australia our Christmas season is all 35 degree days (That's 95 F for those 300 million in the U S of A).

So instead of sleet, we get to burn the soles of our feet off on pavement.
Said the Cat. "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat. "or you wouldn't have come here."
wizzfizz

Postby lysandra » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 am UTC

wizzfizz wrote:Suckers.

In Australia our Christmas season is all 35 degree days (That's 95 F for those 300 million in the U S of A).

I'm in Wisconsin right now and the wind is howling outside, rattling the windows, and blanketing the streets with snow. I would take 35 any day :)
lysandra

Postby thornahawk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:09 am UTC

As much as I don't like DRM either, I can't help but wonder how some of its defenders can blather for days on end... ;)

~ Werner
John Dolan wrote:Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars.

E-mail!
thornahawk

Postby Cassidi3 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:09 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:After the first panel I had some trouble because the rest of them didn't go to the tune of "Let it Snow".

haha me too!
lol

and I am one of those people that grumbles about drm for hours....
*shrugs in shame*

and oh.
we have had snow since halloween.
lots and lots of snow.
Cassidi3

Postby screech » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I always find talk about 95 degree days dreadfully amusing. I imagine people being boiled due to a mix-up in measurements.

Aside from that, you can replace DRM with any number of subjects: Religion, politics, the aeroplane problem...
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES
screech

Postby atrain » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 am UTC

This describes both my and some of my friends perfectly. (Not in bed, but long rants about anything from OSS politics to UI quirks and their best possible resolution.)

And crappy weather sucks. Lots of slush here in Toronto, and I'm watching the weather carefully to see if it drops to 273K or lower, to know whether I should give up trying to go anywhere tomorrow. (Yay city-wide ice-rinks!)

BTW: Airplane problem has been solved.
atrain

Postby mackereth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Oh dear. I'm not showing this to my wife.

I'm afraid she might join the "Get out of my head, Randall!" brigade.
mackereth

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Two of my friends are married to each other. One of them reads xkcd and likes talking about DRM. The other one only reads xkcd when the first one sends her a link (so just the really good ones) and does not like talking about DRM. I wonder if she's going to read this one.
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby Whyareall » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Is that the girl who's going out with the black hat guy?

Considering a few previous comics, that sounds like him.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.
Whyareall

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Doesn't sound very much like her though.
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Bah... I don't understand how you can say it's a bad weather. Personnally, I enjoy the endless sunny days, the 28 degree-afternoon, the slightly brisk night at 22 degrees.

Off course, the fact that "Dubai" is written on my residence adress might have something to do with it..

Hum... let me remember exactly what's the downside of Dubai..?

Oh! Having to buy solar cream all year long!! Darn it!!
SolkaTruesilver

Postby pyroman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 am UTC

screech wrote:Aside from that, you can replace DRM with any number of subjects: Religion, politics, the aeroplane problem...

aw hell no! we are not starting that one again! It still makes me twitch every time someone says that the plane wouldn't take off!

but on another note... oh battle star galactica.... you started off so utterly amazing. Now look what happened? Shes a cylon, hes a cylon, they're cylons, hell were all cylons! I mean come on getting a little ridiculous. I think the writes strike effectively killed it. Unfortnantly at this point all i can hope for is a quite dignified death with the conclusion of the series come January.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
pyroman

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 am UTC

But DRM is important!

It's true though, it can be very difficult to explain to people without using far more words than they care to listen to.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby 10nitro » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Damn... I was like oh shiz - it was 11:30 just now. It prolly just turned 12, I can start the XKCD thread. But it was 12:40. Stupid paper books not having clocks in the corner...

The alt-text makes it. Otherwise it's just non-nerds having conflicts with nerds. But now you get to step back and laugh.

And arguing about the 0.999...=1 thing is against the rules

[EDIT:]
Satan wrote:Also: Did anyone else try to hum that comic to music and get really disoriented and confused?

yes.

Oh, and first page! This never happens to me.
Last edited by 10nitro on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
10nitro

Postby Shakleton » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:After the first panel I had some trouble because the rest of them didn't go to the tune of "Let it Snow".

This!

I tried for about 30 seconds to match rythm of the song and the words of the second panel. Didn't really work though. How boring, that would have been awesome.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.
Shakleton

Postby almightyze » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 am UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Bah... I don't understand how you can say it's a bad weather. Personnally, I enjoy the endless sunny days, the 28 degree-afternoon, the slightly brisk night at 22 degrees.

Off course, the fact that "Dubai" is written on my residence adress might have something to do with it..

That, and hoping to Allah and the Prophet (PBUH) that yr emir doesn't decide to rack up rules in the Free Zones...and shari'a rules at that.
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!
almightyze

Postby ThemePark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:04 am UTC

My thought exactly.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
ThemePark

Postby dr_pyser » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:05 am UTC

wait... what's wrong with battlestar galactica?
dr_pyser

Postby Cassidi3 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:08 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:But DRM is important!

It's true though, it can be very difficult to explain to people without using far more words than they care to listen to.

i once spend an entire hour trying to explain to my composition class about drm.
it was an epic fail
Cassidi3

Postby darktan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:11 am UTC

I wonder if he did the 'let it snow' thing on purpose, just to mess with his readers, there is precedent for this:
http://xkcd.com/389/
darktan

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I don't think they were all that innocent. In fact I think they were quite premeditated. :evil: But anyway...

lysandra wrote:
wizzfizz wrote:In Australia our Christmas season is all 35 degree days (That's 95 F for those 300 million in the U S of A).

I'm in Wisconsin right now and the wind is howling outside, rattling the windows, and blanketing the streets with snow. I would take 35 any day :)

Any day would be fine. It's having to deal with it every day for months that makes it annoying. Plus all the songs about snow and so forth.
scarletmanuka

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:35 am UTC

I feel like a dog owner looking at the mess his puppy just made on the kitchen floor.

NO, puppy, NO. We do NOT debate .999 = 1. We do not do that. We do not poop on the kitchen floor.
TheMagicalTurtle

Postby BlueNight » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 am UTC

The only DRM I will accept is DRM that does not interfere with the natural licenses I purchase along with the copyrighted content. I have not found such DRM, thus I own no DRM'd tracks.

That said, I play by the honor system. I borrow books on CD from the library and rip them to my MP3 player, but I listen once and delete the files without transmitting them to anyone else. I buy vinyl records, then borrow the CD from a friend or relative and rip it for higher quality. I only keep such pirated material as I obtained before I made the decision not to obtain any more pirated material. (That last part needs the most work.)
---------
BlueNight
BlueNight

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:55 am UTC

almightyze wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Bah... I don't understand how you can say it's a bad weather. Personnally, I enjoy the endless sunny days, the 28 degree-afternoon, the slightly brisk night at 22 degrees.

That, and hoping to Allah and the Prophet (PBUH) that yr emir doesn't decide to rack up rules in the Free Zones...and shari'a rules at that.

You got it wrong. Shari'a applies to inter-muslim conflicts, not to me. And as for the Free Zone.. well, let's just say they aren't in the mood to start pissing off foreign companies right now. Check the recent news about Dubai's financial situation, and laugh. Except, off course, if you invested in those FRE (Freaky Real Estate) companies.
SolkaTruesilver

Postby Spazikstan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 am UTC

Dammit, Randal, stop spying on me!

I have this same sort of frustration with my boyfriend and his massive man-crush on Richard Stallman.
I love him to death but OH MY GOD there is only so much I can take when it comes to this sort of thing.
Spazikstan

Postby SwissArmyAnts » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:10 am UTC

dr_pyser wrote:wait... what's wrong with battlestar galactica?

Nothing, in fact Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television. Or at least it was.

Then the network got involved, saying that they wanted more standalone episodes like The Woman King (aka: Helo P.I.) for newer viewers to get involved. Unfortunatly, the new viewers never showed up, the plot stagnated, and never got back on track. Now Ronald D. Moore is basically telling a butchered version of the story he set out to tell in order to make up for the time he lost chasing viewers away. Or at least that's my interpretation.

In the meanwhile, we fans are just sitting around waiting for Beyond the Red Line to come out, while simultaneously hoping that Caprica doesn't suck.

Anyway, that's my rant...
CALVINIST ARGUMENT, a.k.a. TERTULLIAN'S ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
SwissArmyAnts

Postby branan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:15 am UTC

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!!!

I'm serious. That comic could be about my girlfriend and I. It's kind of scary, actually.

I registered just to say that :)
joshz wrote:So, therefore, by transitive property, AIDS is responsible for racism!
branan

Postby scwizard » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:19 am UTC

guy: DRM blah blah blah
me: DRM sucks I get it
guy: but you don't get how much it sucks
me: yes I do
guy: no you don't
me: YES I DO!
Last edited by scwizard on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:43 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
~= scwizard =~
scwizard

Postby Whyareall » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:38 am UTC

Haha, my first quote to be sigged!

Still, this is getting pretty off-topic. Everyone discuss how you failed at humming the 2nd panel!
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.
Whyareall

Postby _MC_ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:48 am UTC

Whyareall wrote:Haha, my first quote to be sigged!

Still, this is getting pretty off-topic. Everyone discuss how you failed at humming the 2nd panel!

Oh yeah, I definitely started going along with the song in the first panel, only to get thrown off on the next one.

We did get snow in Massachusetts today, which I'm assuming was Randall's inspiration for this, but it turned to rain and I don't think thre's any snow left on the ground in my part of the state.
_MC_

Postby TheHand » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:53 am UTC

I have to agree about the first panel, but it's no big deal. It's a legit sentence haha.

In any case, I agree, cold weather is nice indeed, but I will certainly take to the comfort of my bed as well, particularly if there is a lovely lady in it.
TheHand

Postby mattflaschen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Not inside my head on this one Randall. I rarely discuss this stuff with close friends/family. When I do, I would not mind if they listened. But hey, I like walking in the pouring rain sometimes, too. :)
mattflaschen

Postby sand » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 am UTC

SwissArmyAnts wrote:

Nothing, in fact Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television.

ROFLMAO.

Am I only the only person in the world who hates this boring crud?

I can't empathise with a single one of the characters. They're all SOOOO stupid. I don't give a toss what happens to any of them. I don't even want them to die, because that would involve thinking too long about them. I watched the first 12 episodes, just in case they got better. I think the twelfth was some kind of two parter cliffhanger finale - I couldn't even be stuffed watching the second part

It's so bad in fact, that I use the mere thought of it to motivate me. If there's something I don't want to do, then I just say to myself "The kind of person who wouldn't do this, is the kind who'd watch BSG", and before I can have another thought I've finished the task. It has yet to fail.
Last edited by sand on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sand

Postby Astronick » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 am UTC

I love the artwork in this one - very bleak and perfectly suited to the 1st December in Scotland.

SwissArmyAnts wrote:

Nothing, in fact Battlestar Galactica is the best show on television. Or at least it was.

I also have to agree with the above - I've been doing a full re-run of BSG and from such amazing highs its quality really does drop off quite drastically. I hadn't heard the suggestion about network interference before (basically because I only ever watch it on DVD - how people can wait a week between episodes any more I do not know...) but it does make sense. Here's hoping they manage to pull a fitting conclusion out of the bag come January.
We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon.
Astronick

Postby Nemphael » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 am UTC

It's cold outside, and it started snowing today. On the first of December, is that a cliché? So, anyway, we should do more songs, eh? Every sentence with an end rhyme, yay![/Remains of The Day melody]

Slay bells ring, are you listening?
They're in pain, blood is glistening.
A sight full of fright,
Someone's fragging tonight.
Stalking a metal jacket man.

Too bad Halloween was a month ago. Well, there's always Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas.

EDIT: Uy, it fit the melody. D: I fail.
EDIT2: FPS-ing it a little, I think.
Last edited by Nemphael on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Nemphael

Postby dr_pyser » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:03 am UTC

SwissArmyAnts wrote:

Then the network got involved, saying that they wanted more standalone episodes like The Woman King (aka: Helo P.I.) for newer viewers to get involved.

i hear comments like this a lot. yes, episodes like the woman king are standalones, and contribute little to the overarching narrative. but these are still good science fiction episodes, of the classic star trek variety. actually, the woman king is a great example of a nice little science fiction idea, played out in a single episode, and reflecting something about modern society as it does so. if you saw this stoyline on SG-1 or a show like that you'd probably be quite happy with it. RDM has said that he has to make episodes like this, because the 'big' episodes at the beginning and end of the series usually take up so much budget. so i actually don't agree here - i like the standalone episodes on BSG, and i understand why they exist. i think one of the strengths of the show is that it can straddle both classic sci-fi and the modern continuing-storyline idea. yes, the standalones aren't as 'exciting' as the main storyline episodes, but let's not forget that this is a science fiction show, and part of its job is to give us material to think about, in the form of these neat, self-contained storylines.
dr_pyser

Postby william » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:08 am UTC

I gave up on Battlestar Galactica when I missed 3 episodes and Baltar got a harem.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads