0513: "Friends"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0513: "Friends"

Postby von Eisenstein » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Merg'd with other one. Please try to only post in the earliest created thread? I understand people like to post in the one with the correctest formatting, but this usually gets sorted out at some point anyway.

Link: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png

Alt Text: Friends with Detriments.

...interesting.
And I think "loneliness" is spelled wrong.
Nonetheless, very thought-provoking. =D But isn't that what XKCD sets out to do?
Last edited by von Eisenstein on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
von Eisenstein

Re: "Friends" Discussion

Postby Cassidi3 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:08 am UTC

this one makes me feel all sad and woogly inside
but i do love it so.
:D
Cassidi3

Re: Friends Discussion

Postby videogamesizzle » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

well. that wasn't the ending i was expecting. it started out like "oh, here's this guy, he likes this girl, he's gonna be there for her... okay a little creepy now... oh my..." :shock:

"And I think "loneliness" is spelled wrong."

-by jove, you're right! REBEL!!!
Last edited by videogamesizzle on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...
videogamesizzle

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

And then there's guys who take relationship advice from xkcd...
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Kirby54925 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

"lonliness" should be "loneliness." Just nitpicking.
Kirby54925

Postby 10nitro » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Doesn't the thought that some of your friends might want to "do you" creep you out. Like you don't even know it, but one of your best fiends...

... damn it, so close. I would have had it if I didn't have to think of something to say.
Last edited by 10nitro on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx
10nitro

Postby Xaith » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:11 am UTC

*sigh*

Once again xkcd reflects my life... Good comic.
Xaith

Postby xtownaga » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:11 am UTC

sadly accurate all too often.
xtownaga

Postby Contrabass » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:12 am UTC

This is basically the story of my semester.
Contrabass

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:12 am UTC

I wish my friends told me about their new relationships by bringing them over and saying "I'm going to date this jerk."
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby joee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:12 am UTC

I wonder if that would actually work. Everyone loves the friend zone
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby theta4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Unfortunately, my XKCD reading friends, this is not the first comic thread in the forum. This one was made first: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31441

But my title looks better...hmmm, which to choose
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i
theta4

Postby Wehpudicabok » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:14 am UTC

The alt-text is particularly brilliant with this comic.
Wehpudicabok

Postby theta4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Nice soliloquy, stick man. But, it didn't work this time ;)
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i
theta4

Postby burninate58 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:15 am UTC

oh friendzone you cruel abode
burninate58

Postby masamune55 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 am UTC

I took this approach. It took me 6 months to get with the girl I now love. <3
masamune55

Postby krynd » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 am UTC

Pretty good comic, considering that (from my perspective), Randall ninja'd it from my head. Either that, or he "ninja'd" from Penny Arcade (I think), that did something like this almost 2 years ago.

Anyway, I've always found doing things like this to be highly creepy, but it really depends on the situation. In this comic, however, it's obvious that the guy's using the pretenses of friendship to further his own agenda. The ending, of course, wins the comic.

Now, a quick show of hands: who here has either planned to, or actually done, something like this?

I haven't, primarily because of what is described in panel 12 (if I counted right): she doesn't actually love him, just the familiarity of the relationship.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team
krynd

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:18 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I wish my friends told me about their new relationships by bringing them over and saying "I'm going to date this jerk."

I wish everyone was that self-aware and up-front about when they do something stupid or mean, period. Characters in comics have it so easy; their adversaries just straight-up admit to being jerks or doing something idiotic the way no real human being ever would. Today we have a pair doing it to each other.

Is there a term for that? I'm trying to get a page started on TVtropes.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.
Steve the Pocket

Postby pacific14586 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 am UTC

1. Loneliness is spelled lonliness in the comic.

2. I hate when humor is mixed into an otherwise insightful comic. I've taken the liberty of making today's xkcd more real, more beautiful. http://www.isowantone.com/xkcd.jpg
pacific14586

Postby lethesoda » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Hooray, my first Get out of my Head, Randall!
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke
lethesoda

Postby mackereth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:20 am UTC

He might be a jerk, but he does have hair...

I had a friend once who told me that she fantasised about all of her friends. She was a little taken aback, I think, when my only reaction was "Oh? How was I?"
She declined to answer, though, damnit.
mackereth

Postby silverarya » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 am UTC

This is... kinda creepy... the exact same thing happened to me with one of my guy friends...
o_O
silverarya

Postby majnun » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Brutal, harsh, and awesome. Nice job
majnun

Postby rhombus2210 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Story of my life.
rhombus2210

Postby toysbfun » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:22 am UTC

This sounds familiar. I can't remember if it's because it seems to be how some other guys think or because I've recently found myself in the friend zone with a girl I was going to ask out. Of course, she turned out to be certifiable so it all kinda worked out for the best.
toysbfun

Postby roboman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Unfortunately that hit really close to home.
It is basically the story of every relationship I ever tried to peruse, and sadly it never worked out. Time to go lay down and "think" about entering relationships.
Last edited by roboman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
roboman

Postby krynd » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:25 am UTC

joee wrote:I wonder if that would actually work. Everyone loves the friend zone

Probably not, as most people consider friends to be "just friends", and it usually takes something radical to change that. In the case of the comic, it would be her apparent epiphany that the losers she dated didn't fulfill the needs her friend was readily able to, and since he conveniently "never had a girlfriend", she decided to date (or whatever) him.

Still, I stand by my original thought, as for many people I know, friendship is considered a more stable thing than a relationship, and many are frightened of losing the friendship they once had (failing to realize that two mature people can always go back to being "just friends", once they've properly dealt with the aftermath). Couple that with the convenience of dating with a "less-than-longterm" goal (ie just for "kicks" or whatnot. I have some douchy friends, I know) while abusing the friend for emotional support, and there's virtually no reason to date a friend (repeat: I have douchy friends).
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team
krynd

Postby littlesuz13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:30 am UTC

I finally realize that moment people have where they say "get out of my head Randall." This is sooooo the story of my life. Especially the part on the fear of rejection. I'd rather keep them as a friend than be rejected by them. Ugh... sometimes I hate my life...
"All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe
littlesuz13

Postby Random Precision » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 am UTC

You know, initially I was bothered by the fact that Randall seems to have been spying on my junior year of high school. But since he wrote a comic about it, I've decided I'm alright with it.
Random Precision

Postby wasp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

This is exactly what I do. Get out of my head!!!
It didn't work this time, though. It took me about e months to find out I remind her too much of her ex. ...*sigh*

But if it doesn't work out, you still usually end up with a friend. That's how I justify it. I assume I would get rejected if I just ask her out. Given that, the expected value is somewhat higher with this strategy. (Yes, I know this is a faulty assumption. Obviously I am just emotionally fragile).
wasp

Postby cantimatt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

Did anyone else think of:

I’ll listen to the things you say about the way you feel
I’ll smile an understanding smile when your boyfriend calls
And you’ll go, but you’ll think of me
And one day you’ll knock on my door
Because you want to be
Soft rocked by me

We generally remove links from anyone under five posts, but seeing as its John Coulton...

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/songdetails/Soft%20Rocked%20By%20Me
You got lucky. But do read the rules if you plan on hanging around.
cantimatt

Postby alchemistique » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Brilliant. And, sadly, the story of my life.
alchemistique

Postby Nasaniaru » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:38 am UTC

I don't know whether or not to support this Anonymous Stick Figure Man or not because in the first couple of panels, he seems to be sincere and honest, but by the end, he seems to think that if the Anonymous Stick Figure Woman marries him, she won't be happy, effectively ruining his chances of ever marrying the Anonymous Stick Figure Woman.

But I'd have to agree with most people here, Sure, having a wife is better than having a friend, but having a friend is MUCH better than having someone reject your feelings of wanting something more.
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!
Nasaniaru

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Dude. Randall's been reading Reddit too much. Sure, we've all heard of the Internet Nice Guy, but in my experience if you're going to develop a crush on a friend they generally start out as a genuine friend rather than a repressed crush.

Relationships are like stem cells. You have to direct them towards being what you want, or they become something else entirely.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby wasp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 am UTC

krynd wrote:Pretty good comic, considering that (from my perspective), Randall ninja'd it from my head.

I think, from my any given person's perspective, it is just as likely that he ninja'd it from your head as if he thought of it himself. And for the record, he totally ninja'd it from my head. ;)
wasp

Postby baker's kilobyte » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Doesn't the thought that some of your friends might want to "do you" creep you out. Like you don't even know it, but one of your best fiends...

Well, I don't have many fiends, and no best ones, but doesn't everyone do that thing where you check someone out automatically the first time you meet them, and then later, when (if) you get to be friends, you feel weird for having thought of them that way (even if for just a fleeting moment)...

No? Is it just me being a weirdo again?

I really should go get some sleep.
baker's kilobyte

Postby Kokuro » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Oh me yarm! I'm going through this issue right now! She's an amazing girl, and I realized about a week ago that after knowing her for almost a year I've fallen in love with her. But I have those exact same feelings as the guy in the comic. She just recently broke up with her boyfriend and I know this is probably my only chance, but if she doesn't like me the way I love her, I don't know if I'd be able to go on, knowing I f'd the chance to at least stay friends. So I'm doing everything I can just to stay close friends with her. It hurts so much. I don't fall in love easily, I've had thousands of crushes, but only three girls (her being the third) have ever made it to the love stage. I'm in love with her in every sense of the word. She's a beautiful girl with shoulder length dark blonde hair and the most beautiful hazel eyes you could ever look into. She's not huge in the chest area, but what she has is just right for her body. And her personality, Oh me yarm!!! She's sweet, and kind, and caring, and funny, and even a little dirty. I'll never forget one day we were standing there and she had her phone in her back pocket, all of sudden it started vibrating and she goes, "Ohh, I'm vibrating," and after checking the message she looks at me and kind of winks saying, "But I don't need a vibrator, I've got a boyfriend." Granted I'm sure she's as innocent as the day is long, but it's the naughtyness behind it that's what makes it so appealing. I'd litterally do anything for this girl, and while she thinks of me as a good friend, I know she doesn't think of me the way I think of her. Her birthday is coming up soon. I'm planning on getter her a card, a gift card to Dunkin, (she's in love with Dunkin and probably does run on it lol) and a single rose. I know she'll probably yell at me for it, saying she can't accept it all, and I plan on simply telling her that she's the only person at work I'd ever go to all the trouble for. Hopefully she'll finally realize I love her, and that knowledge will be enough for her. I'm not the greatest looking guy in the world, and I probalby don't deserve her love, but when I love someone, they're the only one I ever think of. So, wish me luck guys.
Kokuro

Postby richlayers » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:53 am UTC

I can't decide if it's worse to be the guy or the girl in this situation. I think I'd prefer to be the jerk.
richlayers

Postby Cassidi3 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Relationships are like stem cells. You have to direct them towards being what you want, or they become something else entirely.

ROFL!
Last edited by Cassidi3 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cassidi3

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Relationships are like stem cells. You have to direct them towards being what you want, or they become something else entirely.

And I thought "Friends with Detriments" was good. Damn I love xkcd. There's so many people smarter and wittier than me here!
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™
Pizzashark

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads