0515: "No One Must Know"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby sje46 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Three words: Special Victims Unit.

I was laughing at this comic...until I saw that video. Just...holy fuck.

(He's admitted to vaporizing people, though, so why is this a surprise?)

agreed, i barely made it through the translation and no way i could watch the video. i kind of wish you hadn't posted that.


I'm sorry. I mean, I didn't link directly to the video; I linked to a site that linked to the video. It was your curiosity that made you click the link to the video, and you should have guessed that the link to the [crazy russian place name] maniacs would be something about a gruesome murder. If you didn't want to read about it, than don't click it.
I myself didn't watch the video, because I knew I didn't want to see it. But from the translation I could tell it was probably pretty messed up.

@ alchemistique
@ sugarhyped
i found how BHG and his significant other reacted to someone walking in on them amusing... i don't really think Oh me yarm they murdered someone. but i find it hard to be sympathetic to fictional stick figures.

:roll:
Are you guys illiterate?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I too was a little disappointed that they seem to have opted for just plain murder, and not some sort of creative, twisted murder. To just kill someone is so not their style.

As for murder vs rape, people joke about rape all the time. You've never heard "we got totally raped back there" or similar?
EtzHadaat wrote:Guys, we all saw that...

we're all targets.
Saw what?
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby vviipp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

It looks like the alt-text is pertty accurate, 'cause i don't think that their relationship is that... except for tormenting people.
Edit: But they have come a long way from putting bombs under each other's cars...
Last edited by vviipp on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
vviipp
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, CA

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:I'm sorry. I mean, I didn't link directly to the video; I linked to a site that linked to the video. It was your curiosity that made you click the link to the video, and you should have guessed that the link to the [crazy russian place name] maniacs would be something about a gruesome murder. If you didn't want to read about it, than don't click it.
I myself didn't watch the video, because I knew I didn't want to see it. But from the translation I could tell it was probably pretty messed up.

@ alchemistique
@ sugarhyped
i found how BHG and his significant other reacted to someone walking in on them amusing... i don't really think Oh me yarm they murdered someone. but i find it hard to be sympathetic to fictional stick figures.

:roll:
Are you guys illiterate?


i did not watch the video. i said that there is no way i'd watch it so don't worry about that.
I'm not illiterate?
when i said "i don't really think Oh me yarm they murdered someone", i mean i wasn't shocked by it. not that i don't believe it happened. because of the fact that he used stick figures i am less sympathetic. i wouldn't joke about it happening to real people.
sorry if i repeated myself.
anyways that should go in serious business... this is a comic!! it is generally meant to be funny.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.
User avatar
sugarhyped
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 am UTC
Location: california

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Cartofel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
Cartofel wrote:"Good morning, the Worm, your honour; the Crown will plainly see the Prisoner who now stands before you, was caught red-handed showing FEELINGS - showing feelings of an almost HUMAN nature; this will not do!"

Kudos to anyone who recognises it!

Easy peasy,
Spoiler:
from the Trial in Pink Floyd's The Wall
Spoilered for - er - spoiler.
But then I am an old fart who was born before it came out, unlike most xkcdians.


Yup. I must admit that I was born between
Spoiler:
A Momentary Lapse... and Division Bell
(because, y'know, that might give the game away even more), but this song still impacts on me heavily. And also rose unbidden when I saw the comic. Weird...
Thus spake Cartofel.
And yea, there were great rollings of eyes, and shakings of heads.

Spoiler:
I've actually never listened to any Hard-Fi
User avatar
Cartofel
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Lure+Breaker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

There's no proof they killed...we didn't see it happen...right?
User avatar
Lure+Breaker
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Greguardo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Lure+Breaker wrote:There's no proof they killed...we didn't see it happen...right?


My thoughts exactly. For all we know, the dude's brain exploded from witnessing such a bizzare event, and the two of them were kind enough to give him a "proper" burial.....maybe....?
OH, UM, I'M SORRY, I WAS JUST...UM...I GUESS I CAN HANG OUT FOR A BIT.
Greguardo
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby crp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Image
crp
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Luthen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:I'm disappointed in the classhole couple. Just a simple burial?

They really need to chop the body up and dispose of the pieces in such a way as they are unlikely to be found. The ideal disposal sites are non-tidal waters, or the foundations of tall buildings. Remember the 6 Ps - Proper Planning Prevents P!ss Poor Performance. Plastic bags are no good - they don't biodegrade, and they will trap air as the pieces decay, so if they're going with the burial at sea method then they will float to the surface and be discovered. However, the recent trend to more environmentally sound packaging is on their side. They need to get some cotton shopping bags, wrap the dismembered pieces in absorbent cloth and newspaper (to prevent leaking), and place them pieces in the bag with a ratio of ballast in the order of 1:3 (three times as much ballast as the piece weighs). Then drop these over the side of their chosen watercraft (I favour a cross channel ferry or cruise ship - the water should be deep enough to prevent discovery by divers). By using biodegradable packing materials, air released by the decaying pieces will be able to escape, and eventually the packaging will decay also.

That is too close to some of the discussions my parents have. They put far too much thought into it.

Greguardo wrote:
Lure+Breaker wrote:There's no proof they killed...we didn't see it happen...right?


My thoughts exactly. For all we know, the dude's brain exploded from witnessing such a bizzare event, and the two of them were kind enough to give him a "proper" burial.....maybe....?

Interesting hypothesis but the second half seems unlikely.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable
User avatar
Luthen
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby aggrav8d » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Image
Fixed.
aggrav8d
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby ethraax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I actually really like that last one, despite it being incredibly blunt, which usually ruins stuff for me.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.
User avatar
ethraax
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am UTC

Wait, but why did they kill him? No one knows his name anyway, remember?
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
User avatar
The Scyphozoa
 
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby keithc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:There's also different conotations and meanings in the modern first world. Violence is more acceptable than sex, you can't really kill a fictional character, but sexual imagery is still sexual imagery.

Only in certain countries, not the whole first world. In most of Europe, violence is far less acceptable than sex. And with good reason.
keithc
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Dark Lord Of Sheetmetal » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 am UTC

It always disturbs me how much blood XKCD stick-figures have. Where do they store it all?
Dark Lord Of Sheetmetal
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:32 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, New York

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby ethraax » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Dark Lord Of Sheetmetal wrote:It always disturbs me how much blood XKCD stick-figures have. Where do they store it all?


Parallel stick universes. However that would work.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.
User avatar
ethraax
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Luthen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 am UTC

ethraax wrote:
Dark Lord Of Sheetmetal wrote:It always disturbs me how much blood XKCD stick-figures have. Where do they store it all?


Parallel stick universes. However that would work.

I thought it was held in a central reservoir in their heads.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable
User avatar
Luthen
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby toujoursfolle » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 am UTC

It wasn't murder. They sent him a bobcat in the mail and hid in the bushes until he was dead, then moved in to clean up the mess.
toujoursfolle
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Exüberance » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 am UTC

[Schultz Voice]I see nothing, I know nothing, I see NOTHING[/Sgt. Shultz]
User avatar
Exüberance
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Delass » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:02 am UTC

People survive bobcat attacks. proof: http://xkcd.com/325/ :D

I think the most important thing here that makes BHG BHG is the motive, not the murder itself. Dearest Darling Danish (alliteration ftw) is very xkcd-esque, and killing someone for hearing you say that is just as xkcd-esque. Or BHG-esque.


He shouldnt have been eavesdropping anyway :p


As for the rape vs murder thing, theres no valid reason or remotely valid reason to rape someone. Murder could be self defense, killing a thief, protecting someone else, fighting a war, or even a terrible terrible accident. But you can't justify rape, and you cant do it accidentally.
User avatar
Delass
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Flying Sagittarius » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:18 am UTC

keithc wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:There's also different conotations and meanings in the modern first world. Violence is more acceptable than sex, you can't really kill a fictional character, but sexual imagery is still sexual imagery.

Only in certain countries, not the whole first world. In most of Europe, violence is far less acceptable than sex. And with good reason.

It never ceases to puzzle me how a perfectly necessary biological act that brings all animals into this world... and is highly enjoyable by the two partaking members... is considered "taboo" in the USA, or any other language. While on that subject, how sex organs are considered "taboo" also, I do not know. We do not consider an arm or an ear taboo.
Flying Sagittarius
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:19 am UTC

Delass wrote:People survive bobcat attacks.
Not everyone who gets attacked by a bobcat is going to survive.
ethraax wrote:
Dark Lord Of Sheetmetal wrote:It always disturbs me how much blood XKCD stick-figures have. Where do they store it all?


Parallel stick universes. However that would work.
Hammerspace. There's more space inside their bodies than they occupy.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby sje46 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:34 am UTC

Flying Sagittarius wrote:
keithc wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:There's also different conotations and meanings in the modern first world. Violence is more acceptable than sex, you can't really kill a fictional character, but sexual imagery is still sexual imagery.

Only in certain countries, not the whole first world. In most of Europe, violence is far less acceptable than sex. And with good reason.

It never ceases to puzzle me how a perfectly necessary biological act that brings all animals into this world... and is highly enjoyable by the two partaking members... is considered "taboo" in the USA, or any other language. While on that subject, how sex organs are considered "taboo" also, I do not know. We do not consider an arm or an ear taboo.

Perhaps it is so that people would get more aroused when there is nudity or forbidden sex around. Like how some animals have mating dances, humans get naked?

I'm not sure if this makes sense evolutionarily.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Amarantha » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:46 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Hammerspace.
Now I can't stop wondering what kind of physics you get when Hammerspace meets Hammertime.
:shock:
User avatar
Amarantha
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Skaevola » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Easy: The Hammerspace-time continuum.

Only in the last thousand or fifteen hundred years or so has sex become taboo, and even then in only some cultures. (Even now in only some cultures, really.) Ancient Celts used to eat 'shrooms because they looked like penises :)
Image

purpleshoes wrote:Being a good friend is not like putting money in the blowjob bank.
User avatar
Skaevola
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Ronfar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:15 am UTC

markfiend wrote:I'm disappointed in the classhole couple. Just a simple burial?


Thirded.
- Doug
Ronfar
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:04 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Sareji » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

i think they used a deflated balloon to wrap the corpse in
Sareji
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:33 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby halcyon1234 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Hammerspace.
Now I can't stop wondering what kind of physics you get when Hammerspace meets Hammertime.
:shock:


Can't touch this!

(Because it exists in a pseudo-dimension that's at a right angle you can't see)
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton
halcyon1234
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Aris Katsaris » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:And also, murder is traumatic to the family of the murdered and to the society they live in. Murder is a horrible, horrible thing, you know. I'm not saying rape should not being less seriously, but that
murder should be taken more seriously.


To my lasting disappointment hardly anyone cared to make clear to you your obvious logical fallacy -- that you confuse the severity of the crimes with the issue of how humourlessly we should treat them. That's a complete nonsequitur. I've seen humorous storylines about whole universes imploding, does that mean they such jokes should be seen as one trillion times more insensitive than jokes about a single man's murder, just because destroying a whole universe is a trillion times worse than killing a single person?

Logical fallacy, logical non-sequitur, confusion of your terminology (e.g. your usage of "serious"? Are you using it in the sense of "carrying importance" or in the sense of "without humour"? If you understood the distinction you'd see that there's hardly any problem with the situation you mention regarding the treatment of rape humour.)

And from that you somehow leap to the utterly ludicrous conclusion that murder *itself* (not just humour about it) is treated less severely than rape by our society. That's insanely ignorant.

Bah. I'll stop talking about how illogical the argument you're making is, and just lay out the reasons why I believe humor about rape is seen as worse than humor about murder. And even better WHY I believe humor about rape is worse than humor about murder.

Yes, murder is tragic and disrupts the lives not just of the murdered, but also of the families of the murdered, causing them lasting trauma. But what you don't see is that THAT'S exactly why nobody is afraid that joking about murder will trivialize it. You can't ever pretend murder never took place. THAT'S why joking about doesn't hurt anyone. You can't trivialize murder, not really (you *can* trivialize the murder of the foreigner though, which is why jokes about genocide, or about racist murder are also seen as vile) . Murder is brutal and its final , and the person who murders someone, knows they murdered them.

But there's a whole culture which urges the trivialization of rape -- a whole culture in which raped women have every incentive to keep pretending it didn't happen -- because if they'll press charges, they lawyers will just dig through their lives and find reasons to vilify them. There's the self-rationalization on the part of the rapists about how what they did wasn't really rape -- so even if they are rapists they can claim to themselves they aren't really, that the women wanted it. There's the societal justifications of the "boys will be boys" style.

That's why joking about rape can be much worse than joking about murder -- because in this case it acts as trivialization of the crime, something which is impossible to do with jokes about murder. Or with the implosion of universes for that matter.

The very same reasons you use to claim about how murder is worse than rape make it that *joking* about it is actually *less* bad.
Aris Katsaris
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby sje46 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

Aris Katsaris wrote:
Spoiler:
sje46 wrote:And also, murder is traumatic to the family of the murdered and to the society they live in. Murder is a horrible, horrible thing, you know. I'm not saying rape should not being less seriously, but that
murder should be taken more seriously.


To my lasting disappointment hardly anyone cared to make clear to you your obvious logical fallacy -- that you confuse the severity of the crimes with the issue of how humourlessly we should treat them. That's a complete nonsequitur. I've seen humorous storylines about whole universes imploding, does that mean they such jokes should be seen as one trillion times more insensitive than jokes about a single man's murder, just because destroying a whole universe is a trillion times worse than killing a single person?

Logical fallacy, logical non-sequitur, confusion of your terminology (e.g. your usage of "serious"? Are you using it in the sense of "carrying importance" or in the sense of "without humour"? If you understood the distinction you'd see that there's hardly any problem with the situation you mention regarding the treatment of rape humour.)

And from that you somehow leap to the utterly ludicrous conclusion that murder *itself* (not just humour about it) is treated less severely than rape by our society. That's insanely ignorant.

Bah. I'll stop talking about how illogical the argument you're making is, and just lay out the reasons why I believe humor about rape is seen as worse than humor about murder. And even better WHY I believe humor about rape is worse than humor about murder.

Yes, murder is tragic and disrupts the lives not just of the murdered, but also of the families of the murdered, causing them lasting trauma. But what you don't see is that THAT'S exactly why nobody is afraid that joking about murder will trivialize it. You can't ever pretend murder never took place. THAT'S why joking about doesn't hurt anyone. You can't trivialize murder, not really (you *can* trivialize the murder of the foreigner though, which is why jokes about genocide, or about racist murder are also seen as vile) . Murder is brutal and its final , and the person who murders someone, knows they murdered them.

But there's a whole culture which urges the trivialization of rape -- a whole culture in which raped women have every incentive to keep pretending it didn't happen -- because if they'll press charges, they lawyers will just dig through their lives and find reasons to vilify them. There's the self-rationalization on the part of the rapists about how what they did wasn't really rape -- so even if they are rapists they can claim to themselves they aren't really, that the women wanted it. There's the societal justifications of the "boys will be boys" style.

That's why joking about rape can be much worse than joking about murder -- because in this case it acts as trivialization of the crime, something which is impossible to do with jokes about murder. Or with the implosion of universes for that matter.

The very same reasons you use to claim about how murder is worse than rape make it that *joking* about it is actually *less* bad.

You win this thread.

You pointed out my logical fallacy and provided a good point about trivialization .. . something that makes a lot of sense to me right now. I can see now how it is worse to joke about rape than about murder, and why society views it that way. That is why I asked the question and you sufficiently answered it.
My question to you now, however, is this: do you feel that it is immoral to joke about murder at all? Maybe not as much as rape. But should people have the responsibility to take murder more seriously (as in less humor), in order to make the society, somehow, a better place? IS this comic .. . .and video games to a much greater extent .. . wrong for depicting murder in this light in any way?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Greguardo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

While not entirely relevent to the discussion, and not to send this whole thing off track even more so, but I would like to point out that i'm not entirely sure that a self defence killing or and accidental killing could/should be considered murder...just my two cents...
Greguardo
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby sje46 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Greguardo wrote:While not entirely relevent to the discussion, and not to send this whole thing off track even more so, but I would like to point out that i'm not entirely sure that a self defence killing or and accidental killing could/should be considered murder...just my two cents...

Me neither. And I don't think it is legally, either.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby setzer777 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Excellent post Aris Katsaris! You laid out the logical distinctions wonderfully.

sje46 wrote:My question to you now, however, is this: do you feel that it is immoral to joke about murder at all? Maybe not as much as rape. But should people have the responsibility to take murder more seriously (as in less humor), in order to make the society, somehow, a better place? IS this comic .. . .and video games to a much greater extent .. . wrong for depicting murder in this light in any way?


I think the key issue is the *somehow* - if there is good reason to suspect that not joking about murder will actually make society a better place, then I'd say we do have a responsibility to refrain. But I haven't seen a plausible reason to believe that refraining would improve society.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole
User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Wasted wrote:
sje46 wrote:I'm sorry Randall. Murder=funny now?
I have to wonder why we don't treat murder the same way we treat rape: as a completely horrible thing that is not a thing to be joked about.


Someone needs to brush up on their George Carlin

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3av_qRR_DWc


He's fucking dead :|

halcyon1234 wrote:
Amarantha wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Hammerspace.
Now I can't stop wondering what kind of physics you get when Hammerspace meets Hammertime.
:shock:


Can't touch this!

(Because it exists in a pseudo-dimension that's at a right angle you can't see)


Of course, he can stop time ( ZA WARUDO!) in space because bringing up the inventory pauses the universe.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.
User avatar
fishyfish777
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Angelbaka » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:44 am UTC

I think we have all made another very important logical fallacy: We have little proof that that man is actually dead. As noted (many times) it would be quite out of character for BHG^2 to actually commit murder, and that large bag (much to large for a body, might I add) is quite possibly filled with the frantically thrashing gagged victim of BHG^2. It wouldn't be anywhere near out of character for them to brutalize their victim before burying him alive. Perhaps they made him watch as they fed pieces of him to their mail order bobcats...?
Also: This is XKCD; stick figures have ALWAYS contained much more blood then is spatially available. The bobcat strip was a wonderful example: I would be hard pressed to decorate my walls with that much blood (presumably the rest of his house was also painted), yet the victim not only does so but sits and composes a competent Ebay reply afterward. Impressive fortitude.

I misspelled victim every single time I wrote it.
Yes, I know Angelbaka is a bastardy combination of English and Japanese. Yes, you hate romanji. No, I don't care. Yes, I'm an asshole. Yes, I'm a fool. Don't like it? Get a mod to ban me for one of the many stupid things I will do.
Angelbaka
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Zachariah » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

I thought this was a very funny strip and I showed it to a few people. None of them got it.

I mean, they all understood that a couple had killed a person, but nobody found it funny. I thought it stood on it's own, as surely it's a funny-ha-ha thing that a couple would value their dignity so much they would kill someone who overheard their pet names. But empirical evidence suggests otherwise. Damnit.
Zachariah
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Random832 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Angelbaka wrote:Also: This is XKCD; stick figures have ALWAYS contained much more blood then is spatially available. The bobcat strip was a wonderful example: I would be hard pressed to decorate my walls with that much blood (presumably the rest of his house was also painted), yet the victim not only does so but sits and composes a competent Ebay reply afterward. Impressive fortitude.


This strip?

I think you may be confusing it with this one, but in that the figures are possibly dead (and therefore may be totally drained of blood)

Zachariah wrote:I thought this was a very funny strip and I showed it to a few people. None of them got it.

I mean, they all understood that a couple had killed a person, but nobody found it funny. I thought it stood on it's own, as surely it's a funny-ha-ha thing that a couple would value their dignity so much they would kill someone who overheard their pet names. But empirical evidence suggests otherwise. Damnit.


Did the people you showed see the title? Without that (and arguably also BHG²'s established reputations), it's not clear that that is why they killed him.
Random832
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Zachariah » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

They saw the title, but they had little or no previous exposure to xkcd.
Zachariah
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby 10nitro » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Aris Katsaris wrote:
Spoiler:
sje46 wrote:And also, murder is traumatic to the family of the murdered and to the society they live in. Murder is a horrible, horrible thing, you know. I'm not saying rape should not being less seriously, but that
murder should be taken more seriously.


To my lasting disappointment hardly anyone cared to make clear to you your obvious logical fallacy -- that you confuse the severity of the crimes with the issue of how humourlessly we should treat them. That's a complete nonsequitur. I've seen humorous storylines about whole universes imploding, does that mean they such jokes should be seen as one trillion times more insensitive than jokes about a single man's murder, just because destroying a whole universe is a trillion times worse than killing a single person?

Logical fallacy, logical non-sequitur, confusion of your terminology (e.g. your usage of "serious"? Are you using it in the sense of "carrying importance" or in the sense of "without humour"? If you understood the distinction you'd see that there's hardly any problem with the situation you mention regarding the treatment of rape humour.)

And from that you somehow leap to the utterly ludicrous conclusion that murder *itself* (not just humour about it) is treated less severely than rape by our society. That's insanely ignorant.

Bah. I'll stop talking about how illogical the argument you're making is, and just lay out the reasons why I believe humor about rape is seen as worse than humor about murder. And even better WHY I believe humor about rape is worse than humor about murder.

Yes, murder is tragic and disrupts the lives not just of the murdered, but also of the families of the murdered, causing them lasting trauma. But what you don't see is that THAT'S exactly why nobody is afraid that joking about murder will trivialize it. You can't ever pretend murder never took place. THAT'S why joking about doesn't hurt anyone. You can't trivialize murder, not really (you *can* trivialize the murder of the foreigner though, which is why jokes about genocide, or about racist murder are also seen as vile) . Murder is brutal and its final , and the person who murders someone, knows they murdered them.

But there's a whole culture which urges the trivialization of rape -- a whole culture in which raped women have every incentive to keep pretending it didn't happen -- because if they'll press charges, they lawyers will just dig through their lives and find reasons to vilify them. There's the self-rationalization on the part of the rapists about how what they did wasn't really rape -- so even if they are rapists they can claim to themselves they aren't really, that the women wanted it. There's the societal justifications of the "boys will be boys" style.

That's why joking about rape can be much worse than joking about murder -- because in this case it acts as trivialization of the crime, something which is impossible to do with jokes about murder. Or with the implosion of universes for that matter.

The very same reasons you use to claim about how murder is worse than rape make it that *joking* about it is actually *less* bad.

Is it safe to assume that Randall should get out of your head?

Oh, and I just found out that BHG has blatantly killed people before. Points for using crossbow?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx
10nitro
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby Random832 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Oh, and I just found out that BHG has blatantly killed people before. Points for using crossbow?


Does that count? That was before his character was fully developed, and for all we knew he might have been joking. It certainly wasn't on-screen.
Random832
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: "No One Must Know " Discussion

Postby nescalona » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:59 am UTC

I found this one kind of distasteful. Not really that funny. Vaporization is humorous, but the way this murder was presented, I just couldn't laugh.

That said, when I got to this topic, people started talking about rape as it compares to murder in terms of joking acceptability and such. Patti Smith doing Gimme Shelter was on the radio, and she starts screaming about rape and murder as soon as I begin reading about that. It was pretty epic.
nescalona
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], HES, karhell, Link, mrob27, SBN, Sustainabilizer and 18 guests