0517: "Marshmallow Gun"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "Marshmallow Gun" Discussion

Postby 10nitro » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:How does burning cheese figure into Ghostbusters? I don't remember them talking about burning cheese. Marshmallows, yes. Giant Twinkies, yes. But no burning cheese.

[/spoiler]

El oh el. You're kidding, right?

Lurk more. :)

[edit: this paragraph snook into the sje64 quote:]
When lurking/contributing on these forums, I would occasionally see someone post "lol". I failed to see the relevance, and assumed that it was some internet meme. However, Google was unable to do anything but point me back to the xkcd forums. My original comment for the comic said l-o-l, without the hyphens. Reviewing my post, I suddenly realized where "lol" came from; apparently it is Randal's belief that l-o-l is too uncultured for this forum, so he censored it by replacing the 3-character string with lol.

moody7277 wrote:
Dobblesworth wrote:The logistics of the second half seem rather odd anyway - the angles they're firing at in the middle lower panel were seriously inaccurate if they were aiming to hit one-another if they produced those parabolas and the intersect about 20 metres skyward.

I agree with you on their bad aim, but the trajectories are most definitely not parabolas. Neglecting air resistance with marshmellows = epic miss. Seems to me you'd either want to aim so that air resistance make the marshmellows stop directly over the target and they rain down, or as in the first half you use a low, fast trajectory.

You will find that depending on the freshness of the marshmallows, they can decelerate quite quickly. From my observations, if a marshmallow has just the right mixture of firm and airy, it will loose speed exponentially, creating the opportunity to surprise someone by having the marshmallow drop on top of them unexpectedly, even if they were watching you fire.

However, I suspect that they had lost their proper judgment (as playing with marshmallow guns tends to make you do), and simply kept their finger on the trigger as they adjusted their aim; at the point seen they are not really expecting to hit each other.

Chasington wrote:This isn't the only one I don't find funny. I'm not sure if he's out of ideas, writing too many too often, or if I am just not finding his jokes funny anymore, but the bottom line is they aren't funny to me. Most of his comics just seem to be references to things in hopes of people going "yeah I get that reference too, that's awesome!", without any actual joke. Then, I remember old comics like say... the old one about stepping on the floor tiles in a certain pattern and I remember having that same reaction, which makes me think I'm just tired of his comics.

I do agree that he seems to be in a bit of *growing* a slump ever since Secretary. I still enjoy most of the comics, but there is a *growing* amount that I don't really find amusing. He's just having a bad month. It all pales after Secretary. I'll get to yell "Randall, get out of my head!" again soon. </optimism>

vviipp wrote:If I had one of them marshmellow guns, I'd probably be using some creepy Homestar Runner quotes (which would also be outdated).

Doesn't that just mean saying "marshmallows" in a weird voice?
Last edited by 10nitro on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx
10nitro

Postby bbctol » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

I spent all day trying to figure out what this meant after viewing it last night. Then, this afternoon in the car, on comes the Ghostbusters theme, and everyone stares as i start laughing uncontrollably.
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby Susy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Southwest wrote:
Chasington wrote:Yeah you're not funny anymore. This was a long setup for a really mediocre joke.

I'm curious, though, why you felt the need to broadcast your departure. A longing for sympathy? A feeling of being betrayed by Mr. Munroe? When I stopped reading "Ziggy" in my newspaper, I just stopped reading it-- I didn't write a letter to the artist, or to the newspaper, for that matter. But of course, this is the Internet, and it's so much easier to say ridiculous or hurtful things behind a computer screen.

The funny thing is how he/she managed to get our attention by replying his/her post...funny how somethings work right??? I really think we shouldn´t even care...her/his cyber-prescence is meaningless to this web site...
Susy

Postby sje46 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

@10nitro:
I said no such thing!

lol.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby ConMan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:25 am UTC

mturyn wrote:Maybe the whole thing is _actually_ about debugging JavaScript...mind you , I wasn't fond of "Ghostbusters"...for that matter, "Jaws" was never my speed and I don't like "Star Wars".

Yeah, I bet you're one of those namby-pamby bicycle riders, right? Do you even believe in Peter Pan? Frankenstein? Superman?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Wellan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:38 am UTC

I'll throw my support in with the crowd that loved this one. Sure, the reference is a little inaccurate; it's called artistic license. And the joke is really funny.

I think that Randall might have anticipated some negative reactions to the main joke, which would be why he threw in the first line joke.
SIGNATURE has caused a GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT in CREATIVE PROCESSES.
Error code 2309: Signature writer's block.
Wellan

Postby iNap » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:01 am UTC

I've never quite had one of the "Randall, get out of my head" moments everyone's been talking about until this comic--but since I was talking about these as a useful weapon for a campus-scale game of Capture the Flag this weekend, I definitely rofl'd. The Super Soaker helped, too, of course, but I didn't get the Ghostbusters reference at all.
iNap

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:26 am UTC

DavidF wrote:
BwaHaHa wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:anyway, as a tweeter shooter, this comic gave me the initiative to go buy a marshmallow gun and bring it to school to annoy people XD

Just a warning, (in the event you're serious) many schools have zero tolerance policies for "weapons". Which, because it has some gun-like qualities, a marshmallow gun may be considered.

Indeed, many schools are more interested in preventing students from bringing in things whose names contain the word gun, or things shaped vaguely like guns, or, God forbid, pictures of guns, than in preventing actual violence.

The funny/sad thing is, that's so true. I cant even carry a Swiss army knife on my keyring. I realy want to walk past a classroom and shout out "bomb!" Basic Human Decency IS the enemy of free speech. Strangely enough, I can go on wikipedia and search up all the guns I want but as soon as I google guns, it comes up with "blocked: this site you are looking for is a non-profit organisation and you can continue no further." Or something like that . . . They blocked google images but them had to unblock google images for a project . . . they forgot to block my google images and I can take the safe search off :twisted: I don't think the school realises . . . they failed badly . . . Next year, I am going to put Firefox on my user drive. The school will never know what hit them . . . and ofcourse I will be letting all my friend(s) my flash drive to put firefox on their computers too . . . Is it just me, or do schools always fail to be able to stop you guys doing anything? . . . anyway, back to the subject; should everyone get these Marshmallow guns and do set up a massive gang war at all schools? Come on, its worth them getting banned for future generations . . . isn't it? :mrgreen:

Not everyone has to like his comics right?
BLASPHEMY! (or however its spelt) . . . That is blasphemy, right? If not, I guess I wont be putting down xkcd as my religion whenever anything asks for my religion.
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel

Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby krynd » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 am UTC

iNap wrote:--but since I was talking about these as a useful weapon for a campus-scale game of Capture the Flag this weekend...

I must learn where you go to school at. I'm fairly certain any school around where I live would expel you (and likely perma-ban you, as well) for doing something like that. Yes, Amerika sucks as much as you hear. I presume you live outside the US, because there has existed a very strong anti-gun sentiment in schools since Columbine.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team
krynd

Postby iNap » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:55 am UTC

A valid point. I also should have probably reworded to say I was talking this weekend about it on a date in the future--there's still plenty of discussion to be had, and that's definitely a point worth considering.
iNap

Postby Last Face » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:07 am UTC

In response to the OP, just thought I'd throw in that I'm 15 and own both movies.
Last Face

Postby Beautiful_Solace » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:11 am UTC

:? was all good till the end then its just "huh?"
"Mother is God in the eyes of a child"
-Silent Hill
Beautiful_Solace

Postby zeigfreid » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Hi

Oh man, crossing the beams totally does not make a marshmallow god. Urgh, way to go XKCD you just TOTALLY ruined my day: I'll be angry about that inaccuracy until I fix it in dreams. Worst comic EVER!

z.
zeigfreid

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:08 am UTC

10nitro wrote:
Chasington wrote:This isn't the only one I don't find funny. I'm not sure if he's out of ideas, writing too many too often, or if I am just not finding his jokes funny anymore, but the bottom line is they aren't funny to me. Most of his comics just seem to be references to things in hopes of people going "yeah I get that reference too, that's awesome!", without any actual joke. Then, I remember old comics like say... the old one about stepping on the floor tiles in a certain pattern and I remember having that same reaction, which makes me think I'm just tired of his comics.

I do agree that he seems to be in a bit of *growing* a slump ever since Secretary. I still enjoy most of the comics, but there is a *growing* amount that I don't really find amusing. He's just having a bad month. It all pales after Secretary. I'll get to yell "Randall, get out of my head!" again soon. </optimism>

Everything you like is in a constant state of getting worse. It is not possible that a few weeks of comics is not so much a trend as a continuation of the average quality scrutinized in the up close tedium of real time instead of the nostalgic retrospec of the compressed archives. No, the universe conspires against you.
What is wrong with kids these days?

(potato gun ftw. What other foods function as novelty projectile ammo?)
cephalopod9

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:13 am UTC

Wellan wrote:I'll throw my support in with the crowd that loved this one. Sure, the reference is a little inaccurate; it's called artistic license. And the joke is really funny.

I think that Randall might have anticipated some negative reactions to the main joke, which would be why he threw in the first line joke.

I don't know how people can't get the Ghostbusters reference. It's so obvious it hurts :(
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™
Pizzashark

Postby Domovoi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 am UTC

cyberia wrote:If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Yeah, let's not allow any criticism whatsoever.

If chasington doesn't like xkcd anymore that's fine but I don't think he's accomplishing anything by announcing it to the world. As if Randall's going to swoop down and get on his knees and beg him to stay.

Nobody is accomplishing anything by announcing to the world that they loved this comic or that Randall should get out of their head either. Apparently accomplishment of anything isn't a criterium for posts, so why is it a problem if he does it?

My guess: some people can't deal with criticism against their big hero. And that's kind of pathetic. If people are allowed to state that they love the comic, they're allowed to say that they dislike it as well.

Susy wrote:I really think we shouldn´t even care...her/his cyber-prescence is meaningless to this web site...

Belittling people who have a different opinion than you. Real mature.
Domovoi

Postby cyberia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
cyberia wrote:If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Yeah, let's not allow any criticism whatsoever.
Capital idea, lets institute it immediately!

If chasington doesn't like xkcd anymore that's fine but I don't think he's accomplishing anything by announcing it to the world. As if Randall's going to swoop down and get on his knees and beg him to stay.
Nobody is accomplishing anything by announcing to the world that they loved this comic or that Randall should get out of their head either. Apparently accomplishment of anything isn't a criterium for posts, so why is it a problem if he does it?

My guess: some people can't deal with criticism against their big hero. And that's kind of pathetic. If people are allowed to state that they love the comic, they're allowed to say that they dislike it as well.
People complain because they expect the person they are complaining to / about will give them something to appease them (shut them up). This is why it annoys me; people expect just because they whine they will be given some free. Fuck them. If you've got genuine critical comments then lay them out but don't just whine and expect that Randall will read it and go, 'holy fuck, random internet schmuck #21231809 is going to take xkcd off his bookmarks; I'd better email him and find out exactly what he'd like to see in xkcd so I can pander to his whims'.

And people are accomplishing stuff by saying they love the comic / Randall should get out of their head. They're showing their appreciation of the art and validating the hard work of the artist. Which is, I imagine, why the fora was set up in the first place.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."
cyberia

Postby Domovoi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:People complain because they expect the person they are complaining to / about will give them something to appease them (shut them up).

And people post "Get out of my head, Randall!" because they think Randall will read it and love that they think like he does, so he'll call them up and hang out with them.

This is why it annoys me; people expect just because they whine they will be given some free.

Christ. He said he didn't like the comic. Now every slight hint of criticism is whining?

Fuck them. If you've got genuine critical comments then lay them out

If you look back, you'll find that he stated that it was a long setup to a weak punchline. There, it's laid out.

but don't just whine and expect that Randall will read it and go, 'holy fuck, random internet schmuck #21231809 is going to take xkcd off his bookmarks; I'd better email him and find out exactly what he'd like to see in xkcd so I can pander to his whims'.

You can infer all that from somebody posting that he didn't like the comic? Wow! Or are you maybe overreacting to the slightest hint of criticism of your big hero and making up some elaborate fantasy about why anybody who thinks that way can obviously only do so because they are total douchebags? /meta.

And people are accomplishing stuff by saying they love the comic / Randall should get out of their head. They're showing their appreciation of the art and validating the hard work of the artist.

Because the artist reads all those posts and goes "Wow, I am really encouraged by all these Get Out Of My Head Posts, now I'm gonna reconsider shutting down XKCD like I planned to."? No.
Sure, praise of something good accomplishes something, but so does critisizing its weaker points.

Surrounding an artist solely with rabid fanboys is never a good idea. But apparently that falls on deaf ears.
Domovoi

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. If chasington doesn't like xkcd anymore that's fine but I don't think he's accomplishing anything by announcing it to the world. As if Randall's going to swoop down and get on his knees and beg him to stay.

To paraphrase a review on a fanfic website that a friend of mine was constantly paraphrasing herself: "Does that button say Post reply or Kiss the author's ass?"

Really, is anyone here really going to suffer an identity crisis by seeing a biting critique of his favourite webcomic? Personally, I didn't enjoy the comic, for my own personal reasons, and I'm still going to keep reading xkcd because I know it's still coming up with intensely clever material. If someone is giving it up altogether, be it for a perfectly reasonable and well-founded reason or for a completely silly and inane one, I don't care. Who should care, really?

Lighten up, peoples.
SirMustapha

Postby Kitsusyn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

I don't like Ghostbusters, it's way overrated. BUT THE THEME SONG IS THE BEST. 8)

But the real question is: Why would crossing marshmallow streams make a giant Bill Murray? There are two glaring problems with this.

1. They crossed the streams in the movie, and it had the effect of the DESTRUCTION of the Stay-Puft man, not the creation. The creation was done solely by that goddess chick. Not streams.

2. Which leads to the fact that even if stream-crossing was the reason the Stay-Puft man was created, they're plasma streams. Not Bill Murray streams. So if we're going to use the logic "don't cross the marshmallow streams unless you want to summon the Stay-Puft Man", you would use "don't cross the Bill Murray streams unless you want to summon giant Bill Murray". If you were to use plasma streams, under this line of thinking you'd make a plasma demon. Of course as I have just mentioned, this is inaccurate logic that is not canon with the film. Fanfiction logic? For shame, Randall.

BONUS:

3. Continuing from above, there is no way to stream Bill Murray, unless you watched it on Youtube. Even with that, there's no way to cross the streams. You could use a DVD turntable setup, but that's not streaming...well maybe it is if it's streaming from the disc and not caching the video, but there's no way to do it proper because there is no internet video crossfader plugin.

So all-in-all this is Randall going "HEY GUYS DON'T FORGET ABOUT XKCD! WE CAN BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND MAKE 80'S POP CULTURE REFERENCES! COME BACK GUYS! WE'RE NOT OLD MEME!".

Meh. ¬_¬
Get off my Internet.
Kitsusyn

Postby tahrey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Guys... guys, guys! Stop feeding the goddamn trolls already! :twisted:

I'll admit this one went slightly over my head as it's not exactly obvious what the thing that appears is if you haven't seen the relevant episode of the cartoon (which is taking in-jokes too far IMO, and why I ended up clicking Forum today in the first place), but I did guess at it being Mr Stay Puft and got a little chuckle out of his turning up and going ... hey, what?! (Note that's the brand of marshmallows they're apparently using, too). Not really one to put in my favourites bin, but a reasonable 30 seconds diversion.

The problem with making something awesome and cool is that people then expect you to be able to do it everytime, even if the amount of awesome you originally delivered took some time and careful choosing amongst your total output to produce. There's no need to be a spiky little sh*tbag troll when a free comic on the interwebs doesn't live up to your predestined standards of Excellence Worthy of a Bookmark, however... or to respond to someone doing it (I'm not going to say "ban them" instead, though - free speech is a blessed privelege we should respect even if it means a bit of noise to the otherwise reasonable signal I see on here). For a crowd that seems to be fairly chan-savvy some of us seem to have turned off the trolldar :mrgreen:

(And why do there seem to be a band of people out to over analyse each strip and get narky when it doesn't "say" something, or merely pardoies a well loved subject matter without "doing" much with it? Enjoy it for what it is ... and, I dunno, maybe read some Garfield, or go see a therapist... goddamn...)

I'm not really sure how to express the rest of how I feel about this eloquently so I'll leave it at that. It has p*ssed me off somewhat and in a way I think I have been trolled and am doing so in return (even when trying not to overuse that word). It's just unnecessary. If you don't like it ... leave. Cut down the advertising and merch revenue. Go read UF (which I quit a long time ago, silently, when it ceased twerking my own funny bone) or one of a hundred-plus different moderately well drawn, heavily Cerberus-Effect laden continuous-story webcomics, or innumerate one shot gag strips that never really get funny.

(GAH. STOPPING POST. NOW
tahrey

Postby Atario » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

At this late stage in the discussion, I'd like to mention a pet peeve of mine.

The word "shoot" has way too many allowable meanings in these situations.

People will say:
  • The gun shoots marshmallows.
  • The girl shoots the guy.
  • The girl shoots the gun.
  • Marshmallows shoot across the room.

To me, using "fire" for some of these, or even "discharge" or "launch", would help alleviate much possible confusion. I mean, how am I to differentiate the marshmallow gun in the comic from my gun, which is carefully designed to allow you to perforate a marshmallow with a laser from long distances, when people are inevitably going to describe both as "shooting marshmallows"? And how am I going to differentiate my favorite pastime, blasting firearms apart with a sonic cannon, from people going down to an ordinary gun range, when we will both say we "shot guns"?

Feh.

P.S. I wish I could crosspost to alt.usage.english.
Atario

Postby ThemePark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
10nitro wrote:

Everything you like is in a constant state of getting worse. It is not possible that a few weeks of comics is not so much a trend as a continuation of the average quality scrutinized in the up close tedium of real time instead of the nostalgic retrospec of the compressed archives. No, the universe conspires against you.
What is wrong with kids these days?

(potato gun ftw. What other foods function as novelty projectile ammo?)

An orange?
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
ThemePark

Postby Kitsusyn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Get off my Internet.
Kitsusyn

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Kitsusyn, you need to take a step back and take a deep breath. Remember, this is the internet, don't take anything too seriously, furthermore I don't think tahrey was saying anything to you in particular. You stated your opinion, he stated his.

And be real careful where you use mongoloid. I'm going to assume you didn't know this, but in terms of offensiveness it ranks up there with nigger. (In my opinion it's more offensive, because nigger only connotes negativity, while mongoloid denotes it.)
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3
Flagpole Sitta

Postby Aegnor » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Chasington wrote:As for my reason posting here, well... mostly the fact that there are a lot of people that seem to like everything he does and I get some satisfaction in being one of the only ones who think otherwise heh, I'm sure you guys have done this too with something sometime.

At least you're honest. But this is kind of like those nutjobs that believe the moon landing hoax and 9/11 conspiracy theories. Everyone believes we landed on the moon, so some moon hoax nutjob gets a thrill out of believing he "knows the truth" while everyone else is deceived.

I'm not suggesting that not liking xkcd is the same as believing the moon landings were a hoax or that the 9/11 attacks were done by the government, just that the justification is the same. Wanting to believe you are one of the few "not fooled" cause it makes you feel special.
Aegnor

Postby miglow » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

There's the upcoming Ghostbusters Game. (looks really good)

There are rumors of a Ghostbusters 3.

I've been seeing Ghostbusters 2 showing up on cable lately.

Randall makes a Ghostbusters comic. Coincidence?

Personally, I enjoyed the ref, even if it was simple. I say MEH to all those who are such GB geeks that they hate the comic. Talk about no fun. I really enjoyed, the super soaker, and I loved the alt text.

Aegnor wrote:
Chasington wrote:As for my reason posting here, well... mostly the fact that there are a lot of people that seem to like everything he does and I get some satisfaction in being one of the only ones who think otherwise heh, I'm sure you guys have done this too with something sometime.

At least you're honest. But this is kind of like those nutjobs that believe the moon landing hoax and 9/11 conspiracy theories. Everyone believes we landed on the moon, so some moon hoax nutjob gets a thrill out of believing he "knows the truth" while everyone else is deceived.

I'm not suggesting that not liking xkcd is the same as believing the moon landings were a hoax or that the 9/11 attacks were done by the government, just that the justification is the same. Wanting to believe you are one of the few "not fooled" cause it makes you feel special.

Nope. Bad analogy. People do go a bit over the top of being an XKCD fanboy, however that will happen with any fandom. Chasington's post is nothing like being a conspiracy theorist. It's trying to counteract/piss off people who take XKCD seriously. Personally, I believe he's taking too seriously the fact that people take xkcd too seriously. (am I taking this too seriously? :P)
Last edited by Hammer on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined double post.
miglow

Postby Hammer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Folks, some of this is way over the line. Disagreement is one thing, but please stop just screaming insults at each other. The level of rage in the meta-discussion about Randall-worship is getting into the realm of ridiculous.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."
Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Clyde » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Hm, I have a supersoaker in my desk drawer. And by supersoaker I mean nerf gun with three spare magazines of darts. In a college dorm, you must ALWAYS be prepared.
Clyde

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Hammer wrote:Folks, some of this is way over the line. Disagreement is one thing, but please stop just screaming insults at each other. The level of rage in the meta-discussion about Randall-worship is getting into the realm of ridiculous.

Buh-buh-but... Bill Murray!

As for inter-office (or inter-dorm for some) war, I've got a replica MP40 airsoft gun in my desk drawer. It's fun to grab it and run around the office shooting people while shouting Nazi propaganda in German :lol:
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™
Pizzashark

Postby emajekral » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Fun times. lol
emajekral

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 am UTC

I've never actually seen any Ghostbusters but I still get the reference and think it's kinda funny. (Though rather silly too).
Also funny is that a) Just the other day I was noticing the marshmallow guns in the ThinkGeek catalog and b) On Monday I ate a bag of marshmallows while driving home from work (not all that long after seeing the comic, due to time zones, but I didn't connect the two until now. Subliminal advertising? LOL).
I don't see what there is to get all up in arms about.
Eternal Density

Postby dennisw » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Atario wrote:At this late stage in the discussion, I'd like to mention a pet peeve of mine.

The word "shoot" has way too many allowable meanings in these situations.

People will say:
  • The gun shoots marshmallows.
  • The girl shoots the guy.
  • The girl shoots the gun.
  • Marshmallows shoot across the room.

To me, using "fire" for some of these, or even "discharge" or "launch", would help alleviate much possible confusion. I mean, how am I to differentiate the marshmallow gun in the comic from my gun, which is carefully designed to allow you to perforate a marshmallow with a laser from long distances, when people are inevitably going to describe both as "shooting marshmallows"? And how am I going to differentiate my favorite pastime, blasting firearms apart with a sonic cannon, from people going down to an ordinary gun range, when we will both say we "shot guns"?

Feh.

P.S. I wish I could crosspost to alt.usage.english.

Please see Eats, Shoots and Leaves.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!
dennisw

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:they forgot to block my google images and I can take the safe search off :twisted: I don't think the school realises . . . they failed badly . . . Next year, I am going to put Firefox on my user drive. The school will never know what hit them . . . and ofcourse I will be letting all my friend(s) my flash drive to put firefox on their computers too . . . Is it just me, or do schools always fail to be able to stop you guys doing anything?

Yeah, but the servers at my school are managed by students. CompTIA Server+ certified students.
Last year the user accounts were non-uniform, there were holes in some accounts. I think they paid extra attention to mine though. I eventually just stole an emo kid's password; his account was really lax (surprising, considering he got his internet locked one semester).
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx
10nitro

Postby darkdss » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 am UTC

i don't get the last line:

"you're shooting what?!"

can someone exaplin it
darkdss

Postby ConMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:52 am UTC

darkdss wrote:i don't get the last line:

"you're shooting what?!"

can someone exaplin it

Tonight on "xkcd Explained": Marshmallow Gun (Warning: May contain spoilers of a 1980s movie)
Spoiler:
The line in the second last frame, "No! Don't cross the -" is a reference to the film Ghostbusters, where crossing the streams of the proton packs was expected to have catastrophic consequences, but was necessary in the climactic scene to close the gateway through which the demigod Gozer was to emerge and destroy the world[1]. As Gozer was emerging, it invited the Ghostbusters to choose the means by which it would destroy the world, and while two of them attempted to think of nothing in order to avoid destruction, Ray (played by Dan Ackroyd) failed and so attempted to think of the safest thing he could think of - the StayPuft Marshmallow Man. Hence, the final frame of Marshmallow Gun suggests that since crossing proton streams banishes Gozer and the giant StayPuft that appeared in the film, crossing marshmallow streams summons the Marshmallow Man, who then expresses concern at the choice of projectile.

[1] This line was previously referenced in comic #459, Holy Ghost, with the title text "Okay, everyone, cross yourselves, then cross the streams."

Hope that helped.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby darkdss » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
ah knew about the marshmellow man. i didn't get that it was him though who was saying the last line.
gotcha!
darkdss

Postby chickenchaser2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:44 am UTC

its all about Randell and his women. The supersoaker thing is fucking amazing aha, is there any other web comic even close to how amazing xkcd is? i mean penny arcade is good and all but it cant even compete
chickenchaser2

Postby Kitsusyn » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

chickenchaser2 wrote:its all about Randell and his women. The supersoaker thing is fucking amazing aha, is there any other web comic even close to how amazing xkcd is? i mean penny arcade is good and all but it cant even compete

Penny Arcade is shit. The people behind the comic are great people and they run a good con (PAX), but the comic is usually shit.

Penny Arcade template:

GABE: "HEY I LIKE TH3 VIDEOGAMEZ"
TYCHO: "HEY I LIKE TH3 VIDEOGAMEZ TOO"
GABE: "BUT I DON'T LIKE THIS VIDEOGAME THAT YOU LIKE"
TYCHO: "FUCK YOU I WILL RAPE YOU IN THE FUCKING EYE MOTHERFUCKER"

All these "gamer" webcomics are the reason I don't really define myself as a gamer in public much anymore, people read this shit and they get the wrong fucking idea, that I like to play nothing but Halo and Bioware games. I'm sorry, fuck that up the ass. I like SHMUPS. People don't instantly think that I like SHMUPS when I say I'm a gamer, they think I fucking PLAYED KOTOR AND LOVED IT. Again, fuck that.

The only good gaming webocomics are eegra and Slackerz, because they think this "I'M A GAMING GAMER I'M SO GAME" crap is bullshit too. ¬_¬
Get off my Internet.
Kitsusyn

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads