0518: "Flow Charts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

XMetal

Re: "Flow Charts" Discussion

Postby XMetal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

As previously mentioned, "<good>" _has_ to be a question and the option "no" is clearly missing. It may end to a "[win]".
Only if you understand FCs you can realise that this itself may be the reason for your miserable life. So "no" is the winning exit to "<good>". Sadly I am not that far and still think understanding FCs ist good :)

idiosync

Postby idiosync » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Friends don't let friends torrent drunk.

edogawaconan

Postby edogawaconan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Code: Select all

[21:33] ~> uname -a
FreeBSD genshiken.unit.itb.ac.id 7.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p6 #0: Mon Nov 24 10:59:10 UTC 2008     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:I don't know why you guys are looking for choices off of the non-diamond boxes.

< Do you know what a diamond-shaped box is? >
-> No ->
[You fail at flow charts]
-> Yes ->
[ And you smell ]
-> Hey! ->
[ And you're a teabag ]
-> Stop calling me names! ->
[ Read the specs, stringwad. I'm in control now ]
-> There's only one way out. Goodbye, World! ->
( End )
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

Next time on XKCD: The "Aunt Flo-Chart"...
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

JonahB52

Postby JonahB52 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Randall,

I love the Flow Chart, but I can't send it to anyone because they'll ask me, "What's FreeBSD?" and I'll have to answer, "It's a free operating system like Linux." And they'll say, "Oh. Do you have to be drunk to use it?" and I'll have to answer that this is probably the case but I don't really have any experience with it because I used KDE until I finally got a Mac and by that point it won't be funny anymore.

Could you create a version that ends with something more generically non-geek? Like, oh, I don't know. I'm not the comic strip writer.

Or maybe I could just leave off the end, stopping at "LET'S GO DRINK." May I do that? Edit your comic? That seems heretical, but I don't see another way around it.
Last edited by JonahB52 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mikbeth

Postby mikbeth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

How many drinks to installing Linux From Scratch?
--Mik

I try my hand at drawing a webcomic, check it out: http://www.iammostpeople.com

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

mikbeth wrote:How many drinks to installing Linux From Scratch?

A bottle of pure 100 % alcohol should do the trick.

10 internet points to Randall for the Microsoft Bob reference.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Verdantis

Postby Verdantis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

Stolen from nuklearpower.com. :)

XerxesQados

Postby XerxesQados » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Am I missing some part of the joke, or is this just Randall trying to make his comic less accessible?

Classic films from the 1940s had jokes pertaining to philosophy and allusions to Greek poetry and drama, which maybe 1% of the audience would get. Another 89% would get the lower-brow irony and humor, and the 9% of dumb people would still enjoy the movie based on its sentimental stuff between the characters. Well, I've only seen one example in my Film History class, but my professor is one of the most renowned film historians in the country so he probably knows what he's talking about.

I found that lesson very interesting because it reminded me of xkcd.

(I mean, someone who has never heard "FreeBSD" before can probably infer that if you consider it after six drinks, it's probably something incredibly difficult and/or useless from Randall's perspective, so they get the rest of the joke fine)
Contractions make the apostrophe so much more philanthropic, as it uses its efforts to unite rather than to hoard.

Greguardo

Postby Greguardo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Not like the recent ones have sucked lately or anything, but this is the kind of strip that got me into xkcd in the first place. Bravo
OH, UM, I'M SORRY, I WAS JUST...UM...I GUESS I CAN HANG OUT FOR A BIT.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

JonahB52 wrote:Randall,

I love the Flow Chart, but I can't send it to anyone because they'll ask me, "What's FreeBSD?" and I'll have to answer, "It's a free operating system like Linux." And they'll say, "Oh. Do you have to be drunk to use it?" and I'll have to answer that this is probably the case but I don't really have any experience with it because I used KDE until I finally got a Mac and by that point it won't be funny anymore.

Could you create a version that ends with something more generically non-geek? Like, oh, I don't know. I'm not the comic strip writer.

Or maybe I could just leave off the end, stopping at "LET'S GO DRINK." May I do that? Edit your comic? That seems heretical, but I don't see another way around it.

Threads such as this have been around for a while, and no mods/Randall has said a thing about it. It's a safe bet he doesn't care, I'd just make it clear it was his and you edited it. I'm not the authority on this though, just saying.
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

Throtex

Postby Throtex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

- The start symbol is wrong
- There's no end symbol (and three possible termination points)
- Listen could possibly be an I/O operation

Yes, I do understand flow charts, thanks for asking :P

/ pedantic

That said, I :)'ed, a lot. Especially since I spend a lot more time making flow charts as a patent attorney than I ever did as a programmer.

ampmouse

Postby ampmouse » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

I run FreeBSD! Does this mean I have a drinking problem? Heck I must be drunk right now!

And to everyone who had to hack the network driver to make it work, I compiled the latest FreeBSD source out of SVN, and It appears they fixed that problem in FreeBSD 8. Although I did have to hack the IP stack to fix a kernel panic every time I tried to plug in a network cable... I think it might have been better when the network drivers didn't work.

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

I want this on my t-shirt now. So badly...

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Very win.

Five stars.

:D

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
almightyze wrote:Funny.

That said, Drew beat him to it by nearly 4 years:

That's ridiculous. It's not like that was the first humorous flowchart.

Unless there is some connection between panflutes and BSDs, I don't know what you are talking about.
It's just the most awesome flow chart ever is all.

I was going to comment initially, then I saw this person said enough. Thank you, ; DROP DATABASE;-- (do you have a colloquial or a nickname to work with, by the by?), for making the point better than I could. :mrgreen:

nuitzger wrote:Found at http://www.qdb.us:

#46095 (202/282)

<xkcd> okay, I've got a 6GB partition free, I'm gonna put in a FreeBSD disk and boot and see if I can install. Anyone have any advice?
<Socket7> have you made a will yet?
<-- xkcd has quit (wish me luck)
[30 minutes pass]
--> xkcd_ (xkcd@hide-BF9D384C.centrl01.va.comcast.net) has joined #pugglewump
<xkcd> let us never speak of this 'FreeBSD incident' again.

Maybe this adds to the fun ;)

Anyone else find it utterly bizarre that he goes to a chatroom called "pugglewump?"
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

krbbagel

Postby krbbagel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

Shirt! :D

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

FreeBSD CD:
> Where do you want to install from?
-- CD
> error: no CD drive found

wtf?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Kitsusyn

Postby Kitsusyn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

For those who don't understand:

FreeBSD: A free OS that is a derivative of UNIX. It is very scary and intimidating. I would never even dream of using it myself.

Microsoft Bob: Horrible HORRIBLE and anicent frontend for Windows designed for people that shouldn't be using a computer anyway. It died a fiery death.

This comic: Randall grasping for straws now that he's lost his touch with XKCD. "OK 80'S REFERENCES THAT I VAGUELY REMEMBER DIDN'T WORK, LET'S DROP THE NAMES OF TWO OBSCURE PIECES OF SOFTWARE THAT AREN'T EVEN WORTH THE TIME TO INSTALL BECAUSE THEY ARE OBSCURE AND NERDY AND HEY WE HAVE TO BE NERDY BECAUSE IF WE ARE NOT NERDY THE INTERNET WILL KILL US. NOW HOW WILL I DO THAT? HMMM... LET ME LOOK AT MY HOW-TO-MAKE-FUNNY-COMICS FLOWCHART...OH, SNAP! FLOWCHARTS! HEY AND SOME PEOPLE FROM FARK MADE FLOWCHARTS AS MEMES SO IT MUST BE KNOWN ON THE INTERNET! BUT WAIT, FARK ISN'T FUNNY! OH WELL, IT'S ME, RANDALL MUNROE! IF ANYBODY CAN DROP THE FUNNY, IT BE R-DOGG! I'M SO GANGSTA I'M G++ OH HELL YES I MUST USE THAT IN THE NEXT COMIC!" Unfortunately this comic was not funny. ¬_¬
Get off my Internet.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

nuitzger wrote:Found at http://www.qdb.us:

#46095 (202/282)

<xkcd> okay, I've got a 6GB partition free, I'm gonna put in a FreeBSD disk and boot and see if I can install. Anyone have any advice?
<Socket7> have you made a will yet?
<-- xkcd has quit (wish me luck)
[30 minutes pass]
--> xkcd_ (xkcd@hide-BF9D384C.centrl01.va.comcast.net) has joined #pugglewump
<xkcd> let us never speak of this 'FreeBSD incident' again.

Maybe this adds to the fun ;)

That does make it a lot better, in my humble opinion =).
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Kitsusyn wrote:FreeBSD: A free OS that is a derivative of UNIX. It is very scary and intimidating. I would never even dream of using it myself.

If you don't want to use FreeBSD, okay. But if you are implying that you wouldn't dream of using a *nix and/or free OS, you are the minority on these forums.

Kitsusyn wrote:LET'S DROP THE NAMES OF TWO OBSCURE PIECES OF SOFTWARE THAT AREN'T EVEN WORTH THE TIME TO INSTALL BECAUSE THEY ARE OBSCURE AND NERDY

Neither are too obscure (at least to people who even know what an OS is):
A reasonable amount of the users on these forums use various BSDs. According to statistics, FreeBSD is the most popular of the BSDs. Granted, even among nerds BSDs are uncommon.
Microsoft Bob is the example of bad software in nerd jokes.

Kitsusyn wrote:AND HEY WE HAVE TO BE NERDY BECAUSE IF WE ARE NOT NERDY THE INTERNET WILL KILL US.

Really?
xkcd is a nerd comic. Hey, I have an idea, let's criticize a nerd comic for being nerdy!
If you aren't a computer nerd or a physics nerd (just partially, not necessarily your primary denomination), I'm not sure how you've enjoyed xkcd up to this point. So: sorry, physics-nerds, but you got your laugh here. You can't make them all happy all the time.

Kitsusyn wrote:[imitating Randal:]I'M SO GANGSTA I'M G++ OH HELL YES

Why does Randal think he is the GCC C++ compiler?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

wr3cktangle

Postby wr3cktangle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

I don't know what all the hatred for Bob is... I used to play with it for hours on end when I was a kid on our NEC Windows 95 machine. I still have the 1.6gb harddrive with the original installation of '95 on it lying around somewhere..
I had no idea what Bob was there for aside from building rooms. It was almost like a beta version of the Sims.
Maxim 33. When faced with the unusual, self-destruct.
My blog

Senethior459

Postby Senethior459 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Right after I read this comic, I saw the following article on Lifehacker:
http://lifehacker.com/5112133/lucidchar ... s-for-free
Apropos!

Greguardo

Postby Greguardo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

I still would have found this highly amusing even without the freeBSD and MS Bob references. And I also don't see why this flowchart and the panflute flowchart can't both be awesome.
OH, UM, I'M SORRY, I WAS JUST...UM...I GUESS I CAN HANG OUT FOR A BIT.

Master of Puppets

Postby Master of Puppets » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Kitsusyn wrote:For those who don't understand:

FreeBSD: A free OS that is a derivative of UNIX. It is very scary and intimidating. I would never even dream of using it myself.

Microsoft Bob: Horrible HORRIBLE and anicent frontend for Windows designed for people that shouldn't be using a computer anyway. It died a fiery death.

This comic: Randall grasping for straws now that he's lost his touch with XKCD. "OK 80'S REFERENCES THAT I VAGUELY REMEMBER DIDN'T WORK, LET'S DROP THE NAMES OF TWO OBSCURE PIECES OF SOFTWARE THAT AREN'T EVEN WORTH THE TIME TO INSTALL BECAUSE THEY ARE OBSCURE AND NERDY AND HEY WE HAVE TO BE NERDY BECAUSE IF WE ARE NOT NERDY THE INTERNET WILL KILL US. NOW HOW WILL I DO THAT? HMMM... LET ME LOOK AT MY HOW-TO-MAKE-FUNNY-COMICS FLOWCHART...OH, SNAP! FLOWCHARTS! HEY AND SOME PEOPLE FROM FARK MADE FLOWCHARTS AS MEMES SO IT MUST BE KNOWN ON THE INTERNET! BUT WAIT, FARK ISN'T FUNNY! OH WELL, IT'S ME, RANDALL MUNROE! IF ANYBODY CAN DROP THE FUNNY, IT BE R-DOGG! I'M SO GANGSTA I'M G++ OH HELL YES I MUST USE THAT IN THE NEXT COMIC!" Unfortunately this comic was not funny. ¬_¬

You may just be the saddest creature to ever exist. Then again, you probably haven't realized so yet.

Actually, "to ever exist" seems an overstatement. Perhaps "to criticize Randall in the last week"...
It'd be much easier to learn about me here. If, on the random chance, you were possessed to do so.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

JonahB52 wrote:I love the Flow Chart, but I can't send it to anyone because they'll ask me, "What's FreeBSD?" and I'll have to answer, "It's a free operating system like Linux."

*shudder* Linux is not an operating system, it a a kernel; part of an operating system. The rest of it is usually the GNU operating system (which is mostly complete, except for the kernel).

JonahB52 wrote:And they'll say, "Oh. Do you have to be drunk to use it?" and I'll have to answer that this is probably the case but I don't really have any experience with it

I'd say you don't have to be drunk to use it, but you're going to want to be intoxicated to install it. Why can't they make an installer that doesn't need a manual with 13 pages?

JonahB52 wrote:Could you create a version that ends with something more generically non-geek?

Dude, this is xkcd. No offense, but what did you expect?

PatchMonster wrote:
JonahB52 wrote:Or maybe I could just leave off the end, stopping at "LET'S GO DRINK." May I do that? Edit your comic? That seems heretical, but I don't see another way around it.

Threads such as this have been around for a while, and no mods/Randall has said a thing about it. It's a safe bet he doesn't care, I'd just make it clear it was his and you edited it. I'm not the authority on this though, just saying.

xkcd is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License, which allows for modifications ("derivative works" in legal code), just as long as you give Randal credit for the original. He says that he considers just linking to xkcd.com giving credit.

wr3cktangle wrote:I don't know what all the hatred for Bob is... I used to play with it for hours on end when I was a kid on our NEC Windows 95 machine. I still have the 1.6gb harddrive with the original installation of '95 on it lying around somewhere..
I had no idea what Bob was there for aside from building rooms. It was almost like a beta version of the Sims.

Bob was is an alternative window-manager/GUI, completely replacing the standard interface, to make computers easier to use for non-technical people to use computers.

Bob was introduced back in the days of Windows 3.1, when the window manager was Program Manager, which was less user friendly. However, in Windows 95-XP, the window manager was Explorer, greatly reducing the need for a program like Bob. Vista uses Desktop Window Manager.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
Eagle Scout

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:Really?
xkcd is a nerd comic. Hey, I have an idea, let's criticize a nerd comic for being nerdy!
If you aren't a computer nerd or a physics nerd (just partially, not necessarily your primary denomination), I'm not sure how you've enjoyed xkcd up to this point. So: sorry, physics-nerds, but you got your laugh here. You can't make them all happy all the time.

Personally, I came for the romance, sarcasm, math and language.

If you don't know how someone that didn't especially care about computers and physics could like xkcd, I don't think you know it that well.

And I think what the people that don't like that final punchline don't like it not because it is nerdy, but because it is nerdy for no reason. As I understand it, the operating system has nothing to do with flowcharts, so that box makes the whole comic a whole lot less elegant. In my mind that makes the comic less good. I guess if you were just intimidated by openBSD it might make the comic mean more to you, but I don't think that's most people.

Affableprechaun

Postby Affableprechaun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

@Threads general trend:

Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

Relevant part in Italics.

Really, we are getting upset because Randall made a joke about an OS?

Master of Puppets

Postby Master of Puppets » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

I stay true to this guide.
It'd be much easier to learn about me here. If, on the random chance, you were possessed to do so.

Maox

Postby Maox » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:23 am UTC

XKCD was great, for a while. Now, it mainly sucks ass. I wish it would jump back over that shark back there.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I would just like to express my undying love of flow charts. That is all.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

thornahawk

Postby thornahawk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:33 am UTC

I was half-expecting to see "you poor bastard" somewhere there... :P

~ Werner
John Dolan wrote:Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars.

E-mail!

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:13 am UTC

martinultima

Postby martinultima » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Google for microsoft bob:
related searches.png
related searches.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 11846 times
GENERATION 23+πi:
The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add more non-real irrationality the generation. Social experiment.

Socks

Postby Socks » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 am UTC

TheStormRanger wrote:Am I the only one that wants this as a shirt?

Haha, I was just checking the store hopefully to see if this one was made into a shirt. You're not alone.
This would definitely be on my x-mas list if it was made into a shirt.

Also, christ, people, quit criticizing every bit of the comic and just enjoy it, or go check out another comic. This one was downright hilarious, even if it wasn't a perfect flowchart. Also, the end was (for me) the best part. Yes, he could've said "Let's go call the ackerman function with graham's number!" but the Mathematicians already got that one, or he could've done a physics related joke... But it's a comic about Math, Physics, Computer Science, as well as other topics. So if he targets part of a comic towards amusing Computer Scientists what is the big deal?
Last edited by Socks on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Kitsusyn wrote:For those who don't understand:

I'm the guy who didn't know what the Mary Celeste was and got Very Upset about it on another thread.

FTFY.

And yeh, we know. It's cool.
Son of a bit!

XerxesQados

Postby XerxesQados » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Maybe I'm just the new guy here, but I fail to understand why complaints about xkcd jumping the shark are being arisen on a forum dedicated to appreciating xkcd.

Or perhaps they're trying to turn this place into YouTube without videos, I dunno.
Contractions make the apostrophe so much more philanthropic, as it uses its efforts to unite rather than to hoard.

Malbert

Postby Malbert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Socks wrote:Also, christ, people, quit criticizing every bit of the comic and just enjoy it, or go check out another comic. This one was downright hilarious, even if it wasn't a perfect flowchart. Also, the end was (for me) the best part. Yes, he could've said "Let's go call the ackerman function with graham's number!" but the Mathematicians already got that one, or he could've done a physics related joke... But it's a comic about Math, Physics, Computer Science, as well as other topics. So if he targets part of a comic towards amusing Computer Scientists what is the big deal?

What people were saying wasn't "It's our turn for a joke". They were saying, the joke is more elegant with that end part cut completely. It was obviously meant to be a joke about flowcharts, and everyone knows where drinking goes too (in general, obviously not quite everyone) so that is a pretty ok end to the comic. Also, since you arrive at "Let's go drink" from different paths, it could have multiple implications. If it is pissed off drinkings you will probably do something different from celebratory drinking. The singular path out of "let's go drink" cuts this from the joke, making it confuse/kill part of the humor. It honestly could have ended in screw it and good as two separate terminal points.
I've been flow charting for work recently and something you always strive for in a flowchart is elegance. In flowchart humor, you should strive for the same thing. I personally like the computer humor comics, even though they are often above me, because they are still generally funny, and you can wiki the things you don't get anyways. However, I don't like it when that part infringes on an already complete joke that has no need for this extension.

XerxesQados wrote:Maybe I'm just the new guy here, but I fail to understand why complaints about xkcd jumping the shark are being arisen on a forum dedicated to appreciating xkcd.

Or perhaps they're trying to turn this place into YouTube without videos, I dunno.

Just because people frequent the comic does not mean they force themselves to enjoy every comic. That would be closed-minded I think, which generally is not something you find in the xkcd audience.

Other than that part I really enjoyed this comic.
The tasty baconplague: best plague ever.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”