0035: "Sheep"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theta4

0035: "Sheep"

Postby theta4 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Link: http://xkcd.com/35/
Alt Text: "I think it's the sheep zapping the cactus and not vice-versa"

I don't know if there's a rule against making posts for older threads. I couldn't find one. Somebody please tell me if there is. But, I'm making a thread for this one anyway.

What do you think this means? Maybe Randall had a vision one day about sheep, and in that vision he saw that sheep had special powers that allowed them to zap stuff. HOWEVER, it slipped out of his conscious mind, and he was doodling one day, and the vision came back to him subconsciously...hmmm.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

joeframbach

Re: "Sheep" discussion

Postby joeframbach » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Bulbapedia wrote:Mareep's wool stores electricity, and increases in volume when it builds up with static electricity. Touching the wool when the wool is charged will result in a nasty static shock. The bulb at the end of Mareep's tail glows brighter the more electricity it has.

Obviously.

Chevron

Postby Chevron » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Looks to me like something androids might dream about.

Zak

Postby Zak » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 am UTC

That is a lovely looking cactus.
*waggles eyebrows*

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Chevron wrote:Looks to me like something androids might dream about.

Ha ha ha ha.

This reference rules.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 am UTC

I actually always thought of this as a sheep<->cactus mind-swapping experiment.

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Anyone else think of Pokemon when they saw this?

I did....

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Ajtucker22 wrote:Anyone else think of Pokemon when they saw this?

I did....

Anyone else read the threads they post in?

Arc

Postby Arc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Perhaps it is the cactus that is zapping the sheep?

I, for one, welcome our new Saguaro overlords.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:09 am UTC

The sheep attempted to eat the cactus, and was met with an uncomfortable surprise.

DreamOfNukeSheep

Postby DreamOfNukeSheep » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Any reference to sheep always reminds me of the game "worms."

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:
Ajtucker22 wrote:Anyone else think of Pokemon when they saw this?

I did....

Anyone else read the threads they post in?

I did read the thread, and everyone else was posting a theory of what they believed this was. I showed what I thought there was, thinking it was a subtle reference to pokemon (as there is a sheep pokemon that has electricity abilities.)

acidcj

Postby acidcj » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Hah. This totally reminded by of Pok[Insert weird e here]mon. It's and electric-type mareep shocking a grass-and-dark type Cacturn. It's most likely spark. Which means it's not very effective. What? Who said that?

sxiz

Postby sxiz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Someone already suggested Pokemon.

Which was also my first thought.
skine wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:Oh, Don Quixote, of course. Now I feel like an idiot for not getting it.

It's okay, the comic was a bit quixotic.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

I dunno about you guys, but it reminds me of some sort of Pokemon...

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 am UTC

I'll poke your mon.
That said,
and the vision came back to him subconsciously...hmmm.

THE WORD IS UNCONSCIOUS ARG
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:34 am UTC

sje46 wrote:THE WORD IS UNCONSCIOUS ARG

no its not is it? wouldnt unconscious mean he was knocked out?
and subconcious means that the thought was somehow beneath the level of conscious recognition?

or were you joking, or am I ignorant??
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:56 am UTC

syko_lozz wrote:
sje46 wrote:THE WORD IS UNCONSCIOUS ARG

no its not is it? wouldnt unconscious mean he was knocked out?
and subconcious means that the thought was somehow beneath the level of conscious recognition?

or were you joking, or am I ignorant??

Don't worry; everyone makes that error (except for psychologists) it seems.
"Conscious" means, basically, "aware". So when a person is conscious, that person is aware of his surroundings. When the person is unconscious, that person is totally unaware of his surroundings (as you knew); however, sleep is not unconsciousness because you have a limited awareness of your surroundings. It is an altered state of consciousness, as are people who are on drugs, or psychotic, etc.

When a thought it conscious, it means that you are aware of it . . .right now. You are currently aware of this thought. And when a thought is unconscious, it means that you are not aware of it .. . and you can not voluntarily be aware of it. Like Freud's theory of the Oedipus Complex or what your dreams mean or sometimes biased reactions against other races. What subconscious thoughts are are thoughts that are not conscious--you are not currently thinking about them--and are not unconscious either, so that means you can think about them. Like, for example, I doubt you were thinking about Will Smith as you were reading about this. But he is easily called to mind. That memory of the Fresh Prince is subconscious.

the term isn't even used much by psychologists, really. But for some reason people confused sub with un and way overused it. Some sociologists use "subconscious" like that, but they are dumb.
(Sociologists are dumb, by the way)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:04 am UTC

Why am I now craving a char-grilled lamb salad and a Margarita? :mrgreen: *has another champagne cocktail instead*

theta4

Postby theta4 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am UTC

Am I the only one who thought of Pokemon when I read this?
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i

Rachel!

Postby Rachel! » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 am UTC

the term isn't even used much by psychologists, really. But for some reason people confused sub with un and way overused it. Some sociologists use "subconscious" like that, but they are dumb.
Wow, you mean English is a language with meanings that change constantly with the ebb and flow of time? It seems a vast majority of native speakers of the language, including professionals (and me, I have no idea where you got the hairs you're splitting), have decided that subconscious means something different than what you think it means. This makes you the wrong one.

esmith

"long" isn't gonna cut it

Postby esmith » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Androids can count pretty fast, better make it a bignum.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:31 am UTC

Rachel! wrote:
Wow, you mean English is a language with meanings that change constantly with the ebb and flow of time? It seems a vast majority of native speakers of the language, including professionals (and me, I have no idea where you got the hairs you're splitting), have decided that subconscious means something different than what you think it means. This makes you the wrong one.

Professional of what? Certainly not psychology. Psychologists use "unconscious", not subconscious. You have already showed lots of fail with your terminology, especially in the "when did you become an atheist" thread.
Yes, most people say sub. I always go with professionals. Why? Because they have to communicate clearly and efficiently, something which the ignorant masses are incapable of doing.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:28 am UTC

How annoying must it be to draw something totally abstract like a sheep electrocuting a cactus and have everyone's response be "oh cute it's a Pokémon"? >_> Damn Pokémon with their 8 billion species have damaged abstract art.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Rachel!

Postby Rachel! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
Rachel! wrote:

Professional of what? Certainly not psychology. Psychologists use "unconscious", not subconscious. You have already showed lots of fail with your terminology, especially in the "when did you become an atheist" thread.
Yes, most people say sub. I always go with professionals. Why? Because they have to communicate clearly and efficiently, something which the ignorant masses are incapable of doing.
Sociology professionals are the ones I was referring to. Still don't know where you're getting those hairs. If you don't agree with what people at large say, it's not going to change a damn thing about the words they use. Resisting popular opinion in language is futile because the ignorant masses determine language. This is an unconscious (hah!) democratic process, like it or not.

given enough time and enough people using the terms interchangeably, there will no longer be a distinction between subconscious and unconscious in English. that's how language evolves.

Fail with my terminology? Not at all. Merely pointing out that our language is insufficient to define ignorance of god's existence.

Роберт

Re: 0035: "Sheep"

Postby Роберт » Tue May 15, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

It's the electro-sheep force, obviously.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

NECROOOOOOO
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

eculc wrote:NECROOOOOOO

No really? I thought comic 0035 was recent. That explains why it wasn't on the front page and I had to search for it.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”