0521: "2008 Christmas Special"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

weex

Re: "2008 Christmas Special" Discussion

Postby weex » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

I wonder about choosing black for the unfilled panels. If they were white, it would have made it a bit easier to fill in the other panels with Barney, smiley faces, and rainbows.
Salvador Dali wrote:Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Simple Pen Art, now with an Archive page.

cipz

Postby cipz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Seriously? Who starts counting at 1? I thought xkcd readers start at 0?

Cipz

No emoticons were harmed during the composition of the previous message :)

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

I pledge my collection of Calvin & Hobbes books. We always need some entertainment on the journey to...

Do we have any idea where the Raptors have imprisoned Randall?

granderson1.618

Postby granderson1.618 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Ok Suso, for 10 extra credit points prove why there will always be infinitely many sets of two visible panels separated by only one black panel. Yeah, chew on that one.
Last edited by granderson1.618 on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

sableye22 wrote: a little lever for extra lift ... [/shame]

Also

shodan_lee wrote:... and my 5' white oak stick-of-doom, Twig.

That's what SHE said.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

VHBT

Postby VHBT » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Kleppner wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:You have my blade.

AND MY AXE!

And my regular expressions.

s/([^\s!]){3}!/RUSSIAN SUBMARINE!/

Dræsk

Postby Dræsk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

I pledge my Summer Glau blow up doll.

That should be enough on it's own, right?

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

It's only going to be a little while until the folks at ITT: We make XKCD worse fill in the panels.

Bonus points: Explain the optical illusion in this comic.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:1) My Battlesheep

2)aleflamedyud's blade

3) an axe

4) aion7's chain of command

5) jmorgan3's wit and devastating blue eyes

6) arden13's (minimal) skills at C++ programming! (and the occasional wartime speech)

7) Alex Chiu Immortality Ring

8 ) 2 bottles of Gorgeouspils

9) second generation "duct-tape Perl" expertise

10) some hax

11) raptor bait

our numbers grow...

You have my .
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

Is one not considered prime anymore?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Specht

Postby Specht » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Kadzar wrote:

2)aleflamedyud's blade

3) an axe

6) arden13's (minimal) skills at C++ programming! (and the occasional wartime speech)

10) some hax

11) raptor bait

our numbers grow...

You have my .

Can't... Restrain... Teenage... Mutant... Ninja Turtle... referrence...

daoloth

Postby daoloth » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

This comic is pure condensed xkcd flavor.
Also, you can see grey dots in the intersections.

You can have my cheap katana, providing it does not broke when I pull it out Kill Bill-style

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Specht wrote:
Kadzar wrote:
Spoiler:

2)aleflamedyud's blade

3) an axe

10) some hax

11) raptor bait

our numbers grow...

You have my .

Not intended as a reference, but, yeah, whatever. I'd rather be Leo, but I don't have katanas, just a bō staff, so I'll have to be Donny (even though no one ever wants to be Don).
Geogriffith wrote:

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."

minche

Postby minche » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

didnt see if anyone noticed this, but it says there
"We apologise for the inconvenience."

http://asymptotia.com/2006/11/02/gods-final-message/
HHGTTG fan here =/

:D

oldmanjank

Postby oldmanjank » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I haven't read all of the comments yet, but has anyone noticed that the first three rows are a "glider" in Conway's game of life?

Kelaos

Postby Kelaos » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

oldmanjank wrote:I haven't read all of the comments yet, but has anyone noticed that the first three rows are a "glider" in Conway's game of life?

Haha, I didn't notice that, awesome!

And with regards to forming a team to save Randall: You have my Word.

(O.o if they cut down Yggdrasil AND there's cloned Raptors, could we have Zombie Raptors on the loose soon?!)

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

granderson1.618 wrote:Ok Suso, for 10 extra credit points prove why there will always be two visible panels separated by only one black panel. Yeah, chew on that one.

That's easy. There is already an example of this (panels 3 and 5 separated by panel 4), and mathematics is not tied to time, so 3 and 5 will always be separated by 4. QED.

Yeah, I know what you were going for, but you should've been more clear. ;)

----------

On a different note:

Doesn't anyone see the pattern here? Think about the one man who made the world aware just how freakin' scary raptors really are: Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park.

2007: Randall Munroe's NASA contract "lapses," causing him to write xkcd full-time.
November 4, 2008: Michael Chrichton "dies" of thorat cancer; however, his cancer was not made public until his "death." Coincidence, or a cover-up?
December 24, 2008: xkcd comic is published, showing raptors with light-sabers.

My fellow xkcd-ians: it is now clear what has happened here. The raptors have captured Randall Munroe and Michael Chrichton. My guess is that Steven Spielburg may be next.

As far as Munroe's location is concerned, I wholeheartedly believe that it will take every tool Munroe has given us over the years to locate him. Specifically, I suggest that several of us start filtering through the Geohashing program for any clues. One problem: what date do we put into the Geohasher? Also, what graticle?

Once the location is found, a team of kite photographers should start scannign the area. Somebody should also check to see fi they can get Doctorow on board. After all, a balloon could be useful.

Good luck, and may Oden's world tree have mercy on thy souls.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

Man, i was like, these aren't the prime ones, they're always off by 1! Then I realized I started counting from 0 :P. I've been doing too much comp. sci. recently I guess :P.
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Two9A wrote:
Wildcard wrote:
Peter_G wrote:wow if you mess with the colour levels in gimp there you see the hidden panels..

Link, please? Otherwise I call B.S. Especially seeing as no one else mentioned it or responded to it.

Definitely BS. I did a threshold against gray level 0x01, and I get this:

http://imrannazar.com/dump/521-thresholded.png

As you can see, the black panels are black even with the color range reduced to 0.4%, so they're definitely black.
Edit:: Did I say 0.04%? Those mince pies must be getting to me.
But you used the raptor-edited version. I believe the original version contains clues to Randall's whereabouts in the blacked-out panels. It's the only explanation.
EDIT: Even if it doesn't work to mess with gimp,
Randall wrote:You should be able to infer the missing parts of the story easily enough.
He believes in us; we can't let him down.
Geogriffith wrote:

Lleu

Postby Lleu » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

The best part was by far the Snap-hiss in panel 19.

avsa

Postby avsa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

This comic made me realize something truly fantasticly-obvious about prime numbers. Independently on the number of frames on the first row, there would NEVER be any comimc on the last column (except for the first row). Because, of course, the last frame on the second row is a multiple of the first. So i had to di this just to check:

**, 02, 03, **, 05, **, 07, **, **, **, 11, **, 13, **, **, **, 17, **, 19, **, **, **, 23, **, **, **, **, **, 29, **, 31, **, **, **, **, **, 37, **, **, **, 41, **, 43, **, **, **, 47, **, **, **, **, **, 53, **, **, **, **, **, 59, **, 61, **, **, **, **, **, 67, **, **, **, 71, **, 73, **, **, **, **, **, 79, **, **, **, 83, **, **, **, **, **, 89, **, **, **, **, **, **, **, 97, **, **, **,

copy the above numbers on a text editor (with a fixed width char) and resize the windows so you can see it. Isn`t it cool when an abstract concept like prime numbers become somthing you can play with?

ps. i signed up on christmas eve just to post this...

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

scikidus wrote:
granderson1.618 wrote:Ok Suso, for 10 extra credit points prove why there will always be two visible panels separated by only one black panel. Yeah, chew on that one.

That's easy. There is already an example of this (panels 3 and 5 separated by panel 4), and mathematics is not tied to time, so 3 and 5 will always be separated by 4. QED.

Yeah, I know what you were going for, but you should've been more clear. ;)

----------

On a different note:

Doesn't anyone see the pattern here? Think about the one man who made the world aware just how freakin' scary raptors really are: Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park.

2007: Randall Munroe's NASA contract "lapses," causing him to write xkcd full-time.
November 4, 2008: Michael Chrichton "dies" of thorat cancer; however, his cancer was not made public until his "death." Coincidence, or a cover-up?
December 24, 2008: xkcd comic is published, showing raptors with light-sabers.

My fellow xkcd-ians: it is now clear what has happened here. The raptors have captured Randall Munroe and Michael Chrichton. My guess is that Steven Spielburg may be next.

As far as Munroe's location is concerned, I wholeheartedly believe that it will take every tool Munroe has given us over the years to locate him. Specifically, I suggest that several of us start filtering through the Geohashing program for any clues. One problem: what date do we put into the Geohasher? Also, what graticle?

Once the location is found, a team of kite photographers should start scannign the area. Somebody should also check to see fi they can get Doctorow on board. After all, a balloon could be useful.

Good luck, and may Oden's world tree have mercy on thy souls.

Damn that thorat cancer. :(

I think the first panel is a clue! We need to find that new and improved christmas light display and then we we'll have more clues!

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Dottikance wrote:I really want to know what happens in the last panel. I mean, what would they do AFTER saying merry christmas?

There ought to be a panel 34.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Kadzar wrote:
Specht wrote:
Kadzar wrote:
Spoiler:

2)aleflamedyud's blade

3) an axe

10) some hax

11) raptor bait

our numbers grow...

You have my .

Not intended as a reference, but, yeah, whatever. I'd rather be Leo, but I don't have katanas, just a bō staff, so I'll have to be Donny (even though no one ever wants to be Don).

I wanted to be Donatello when I was a kid. ^^
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:Man, i was like, these aren't the prime ones, they're always off by 1! Then I realized I started counting from 0 :P. I've been doing too much comp. sci. recently I guess :P.

If you count your cookies that way, can I have the extra one? I'll be over here leaning against the fence-post.

avsa wrote:This comic made me realize something truly fantasticly-obvious about prime numbers. Independently on the number of frames on the first row, there would NEVER be any comimc on the last column (except for the first row). Because, of course, the last frame on the second row is a multiple of the first. So i had to di this just to check:

**, 02, 03, **, 05, **, 07, **, **, **, 11, **, 13, **, **, **, 17, **, 19, **, **, **, 23, **, **, **, **, **, 29, **, 31, **, **, **, **, **, 37, **, **, **, 41, **, 43, **, **, **, 47, **, **, **, **, **, 53, **, **, **, **, **, 59, **, 61, **, **, **, **, **, 67, **, **, **, 71, **, 73, **, **, **, **, **, 79, **, **, **, 83, **, **, **, **, **, 89, **, **, **, **, **, **, **, 97, **, **, **,

copy the above numbers on a text editor (with a fixed width char) and resize the windows so you can see it. Isn`t it cool when an abstract concept like prime numbers become somthing you can play with?

ps. i signed up on christmas eve just to post this...

See the illustration here (rotate it 90o clockwise in your mind). Better yet, just lean your head 90o to the left (works better in case the mind is busy with the egg-nog - on second thought, you'd better hold on to something to steady yourself).
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ackthp

Postby ackthp » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

This comic lacks composition.

Get it? Because there are no composite panels, just prime ones. I can't prove it, but I suspect one could make a slightly amusing pun out of that. And since I haven't checked the entire thread because it's not worth it, maybe somebody has.

Look, if you want jokes that are actually funny, you should have to pay. Did I mention that I don't like you? I'm imagining my audience right now, because you're supposed to keep your audience in mind when you write, and kicking them. I hope I have communicated this sentiment effectively.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

TheHand wrote:But wait a minute! Can an all black panel be said to be no panel at all!

Arc

Postby Arc » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:41 am UTC

The first page of this was really confusing until I figured out the comic had been changed. I thought I had forgotten how to count to 27 for a while there.

What did Gates used to kill Santa? Looks like a very short spear.

Cpt.DaveyJones

Postby Cpt.DaveyJones » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:48 am UTC

If there is some sea you need to traverse on your heroic task to free randall from the light sabered velociraptors, you can count on my Battleship. It might be a bit too cold for our battlesheep, though.

For Randall!

Also I might support you with a tiny bit of ruby and python knowledge, as well as Warcraft III TFT Editor support :P

soniku64

Postby soniku64 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:06 am UTC

I donate to save Randall my self to the ranks, My Apature Science Handheld Portal Device, and a Apature Science Weight Companion Cube.
(NOTE I am the only one to use these items of destruction)

rukie

Postby rukie » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:47 am UTC

Correct me if I'm wrong... but.. isn't ONE a PRIME number?!?!!!

I got jipped a panel!

OccasionallyY

Postby OccasionallyY » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I know this may have been brought up before, but here goes.
I use Chrome as a browser and just now counted the number of panels. It came out to be 28 (the final non-black panel being panel 27).
I then checked it on Firefox, IE and Safari - all of which had 32 and each non-black panel was a prime number.
I have checked multiple times just to be sure.
Does anyone have any idea how that's remotely possible?

*Edit*
It seems to be my computer, not the browser.
I just checked using my grandparents' and the correct comic was uploaded.
Which leads to more questions and less answers.

Nowhere Man

Postby Nowhere Man » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:25 am UTC

What kind of cretin doesn't know that the first panel is 0?

Uh, wait....

Oh, damn. I just committed a deride-by-0 error.

prokrastinatorSF

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:09 am UTC

L-O-L. (edit: autoedits are NOT COOL! what egomaniacal madman has run wild with the power to automatically edit any word in my post? What if there actually WAS cheese burning me, and I was posting here as a desperate plea for help, and my cries were ignored because everybody just assumed it was the autoedit? WHAT THEN? Randall has been given the power to edit our language? to ERASE WORDS ENTIRELY FROM MEMORY? Why don't you just autoedit the word "freedom" to "Randall's divine wisdom"? Actually, that would be kind of cool).

rukie wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong... but.. isn't ONE a PRIME number?!?!!!

I got jipped a panel!

Technically, rukie, no, prime numbers have to be divisible by TWO numbers. instead of "only by the number itself and by 1". This is a preposterous definition created solely for a few mathematicians' convenience. I will now commence my ONE IS A PRIME NUMBER crusade. One IS a prime number, and always will be, just as Pluto will always be a planet, and Han will always have shot first. You can't change it.

Also, why why WHY would you clone raptors? WHYYYYY?

Merry Christmas.

Einarin

Postby Einarin » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Arc wrote:The first page of this was really confusing until I figured out the comic had been changed. I thought I had forgotten how to count to 27 for a while there.

I had a similar problem...

I also feel compelled to donated my target bow and terrible shooting skills, as well as a Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator, as soon as I use it to steal soniku64's Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube :twisted:

Awesome comic, except now I want to go read all the ones before it again to make sure I'm not missing any references...

Kitsusyn

Postby Kitsusyn » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:58 am UTC

So he had a bunch of random ideas and references, and couldn't make them work as a strip, so he uses the fact that he couldn't make it work as a sort of "plot device". Brilliant. ¬_¬ I wish the RSS feed could determine between sucky and not sucky, and I wish that I had gotten a lump of coal instead of this comic. Bah humbug.
Get off my Internet.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:06 am UTC

Kitsusyn wrote:I wish that I had gotten a lump of coal instead of this comic. Bah humbug.

Sorry, but due to the energy crisis, we can no longer distribute lumps of coal to naughty children. They're currently reserved for saints with at least three witnessed miracles.

prokrastinatorSF wrote:
rukie wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong... but.. isn't ONE a PRIME number?!?!!!

I got jipped a panel!

Technically, rukie, no, prime numbers have to be divisible by TWO numbers. instead of "only by the number itself and by 1". This is a preposterous definition created solely for a few mathematicians' convenience. I will now commence my ONE IS A PRIME NUMBER crusade. One IS a prime number, and always will be, just as Pluto will always be a planet, and Han will always have shot first. You can't change it.

One reason for excluding 1 from the definition of primes is to preserve the concept of unique prime factorization (also called the fundamental theorem of arithmetic). Otherwise with 1 prime you have infinitely many factorizations: 6 = 2.3 = 1.2.3 = 1.1.2.3, etc.

For a more general explanation, read up on rings and ideals.

lethesoda

Postby lethesoda » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

Kadzar wrote:
Specht wrote:
Kadzar wrote:
Spoiler:

2)aleflamedyud's blade

3) an axe

10) some hax

11) raptor bait

our numbers grow...

You have my .

My White Magic is at your command, the rescue of the Chosen Prophet is all-important.
Spoiler:
Trapdoors. They make a difference.
The difference between "I'm leaving you" and "ZOMG YOU'RE A NINJA SWEET *secks*" -Kazuke

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

prokrastinatorSF wrote:just as Pluto will always be a planet

Sorry, but here's where I draw the line. Have you even looked at Pluto's orbital characteristics?

1. All eight planets roughly lie on a plane. Pluto tilts out of that plane by about 30 degrees.
2. If you divide the mass of each planetary body by the mass of everything else in its orbital path, you recieve numbers around 100 for all of the planets, and numbers below 1 for the dwarf planets.
3. If you were to bring Pluto closer to the sun, it would develop a tail like a comet.
4. There is billions of bodies with Pluto's characteristics near Pluto.
5. There is a body with Pluto's characteristics farther out which is actually larger than Pluto.
6. The definition of a panet has changed wildly ove rthe centuries.
  • Originally, a planet was any heavenly body which moved across the sky at a different rate than the star, and didn't have a tail.
  • Then, the difference between planets and stars was found officially, and a planet now couldn't undergo fusion without losing its planetary status.
  • In 1801, A planet named Ceres was discovered between Mars and Jupiter. The next year, anothe rplanet at the same orbit was discovered, named PAllas. As more of these "planets" were discovered, their planetary status was revoked and they were renamed "asteroids."
  • In 1930, A planet named Pluto was discovered beyond Neptune. Recently, a second planet in a similar orbit was discovered, named Quoar. As more of these "planets" were discovered, their planetary status was revoked and they were renamed "dawrf planets."
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

OxFFFF

Postby OxFFFF » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

1 is a prime number!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”