0527: "Keynote"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

plin25

0527: "Keynote"

Postby plin25 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Alt: He should be better soon -- now that the Apple Store is getting rid of DRM, Cory Doctorow will get rid of his Steve Jobs voodoo doll.

introducing: the iSteve
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ }<((((((º>

Forrest

Re: "Keynote"

Postby Forrest » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 am UTC

Black Hat Guy isn't evil... QUITE A CURIOUS OCCURENCE

Crysm

Postby Crysm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 am UTC

No, he's making a satricial remark.

EDIT: Sure, remove your comment and make mine look silly!

legombajs

Postby legombajs » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 am UTC

I wonder if Mr. Doctrow has a Steve Ballmer Voodoo doll too?

That would be awesome.

plin25

Postby plin25 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Crysm wrote:No, he's making a satricial remark.

EDIT: Sure, remove your comment and make mine look silly!

No problem, I just took a leaf out of BHG's book :)

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Honestly, who gives a good goddamn?

He can go drink his bottled water and be ironic elsewhere.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:05 am UTC

I do like the thin macs and all, but they definitely have other issues as a result. Anorexic computers!

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 am UTC

No, the Stevebook Air.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 am UTC

The alt text was the best part.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Despite the fact that my inner Mac nerd just died a little, I couldn't help but laugh for a good minute or two.

mrmanme

Postby mrmanme » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Very very mean. But also very very funny. Funnier than The Onion's bit, even.

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 am UTC

mrmanme wrote:Very very mean. But also very very funny. Funnier than The Onion's bit, even.

Eh. Dunno about that. But a little more personal, yes.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Forrest wrote:Black Hat Guy isn't evil...

No just misunderstood.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

mewshi

Postby mewshi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:27 am UTC

legombajs wrote:I wonder if Mr. Doctrow has a Steve Ballmer Voodoo doll too?

That would be awesome.

Steve Ballmer Voodoo Doll! Only 19.95!
Now comes with chair!

I hate that man...

GbLiNg420

Postby GbLiNg420 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Greetings. [This comic] is exceptionally funny, as it is alluding to the claims Apple made to their MacBook Air product.

I took some artistic licence with editing people's posts
~Felstaff

stormotech

Postby stormotech » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:32 am UTC

I registered just to congratulate Randall on the good, hearty laughs he induced when I saw this.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Really? I mean, seriously?

This wasn't funny.

e of pi

Postby e of pi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Are they seriously getting rid of DRM on the Apple Store? Does that include iTunes?

Is it...retroactive?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Remember Randall, Anger leads to stuff that eventually gets your skin burned off. You'd like to keep your skin, now wouldn't you.

I am assuming this is a continuation of the other comic mentioning Apple and DRM.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Sirobin

Postby Sirobin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:47 am UTC

While I think that's kind of messed up...I burst out laughing while reading it. Well done, Randall, well done.

Storm

Postby Storm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Hmm I'm not that up to date on the health of CEO's apparently.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:00 am UTC

e of pi wrote:Are they seriously getting rid of DRM on the Apple Store? Does that include iTunes?

Is it...retroactive?

I think the goal is to have all the DRM off the Music store by March. You'll be able to upgrade your existing library for $0.30 a song, or 30% the album price. Not everything is DRM free yet. But at least my Queen stuff is.

As for the comic, I quite liked it. Evil? Perhaps. But evil and funny are not mutually exclusive concepts.

andyhenault

Postby andyhenault » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:00 am UTC

GbLiNg420 wrote:yo dis is mad funny cuz it is makin fun fo da macbookair!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

That was the ghetto translation of the comic for anyone who didn't understand it the first time through. Thanks homes.
There's no room in this world for arts majors, unless you're handing me a cheeseburger.

To avoid confusion when replacing toilet paper, +k goes to the right.

stone915

Postby stone915 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:02 am UTC

e of pi wrote:Are they seriously getting rid of DRM on the Apple Store? Does that include iTunes?

Is it...retroactive?

Of course! If you pay 30 cents per song. You didn't really think that the RIAA was going to let you get away that easily, did you?

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:14 am UTC

stone915 wrote:

Is it...retroactive?

Of course! If you pay 30 cents per song. You didn't really think that the RIAA was going to let you get away that easily, did you?

The DRM-free copy you get is also double the bit rate of the old one.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

paroneayea

Postby paroneayea » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Don't get rid of that voodoo doll yet. DRM isn't completely disappearing from itunes... just the music, but not video. Still, a step in the right direction, and probably the death of DRM on music in general.

I like how all the mac fanboys who were DRM apologists a few years ago are all celebrating this new 'feature'. (Then again, they're also celebrating the announcement that you can't remove batteries in the new macbooks.)

plin25

Postby plin25 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:34 am UTC

paroneayea wrote:(Then again, they're also celebrating the announcement that you can't remove batteries in the new macbooks.)

Joy of Tech reference?

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:48 am UTC

stormotech wrote:I registered just to congratulate Randall on the good, hearty laughs he induced when I saw this.

GbLiNg420 wrote:yo dis is mad funny cuz it is makin fun fo da macbookair!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Both these people are saying the same thing.
They're written in different languages, yet both are (arguably) written in English.

On topic:

Actually, I got nothin' to say.
Removing the DRM is a blow for sweet justice, but seriously, meh. I will insist on keeping my collection in FLAC and OGG Vorbis.
Son of a bit!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:48 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:
stone915 wrote:

Is it...retroactive?

The DRM-free copy you get is also double the bit rate of the old one.

So how do I exchange my DRM'd music for non-DRM music?

Also, BUUURNED. LOL.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

DrFyzziks

Postby DrFyzziks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 am UTC

Unfortunately, I think Cory isn't planning to get rid of his Steve Jobs voodoo doll anytime soon:
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/06/apple-dropping-drm-f.html

I don't get it -- if DRM is so foul that it can't be borne when it comes to music sales, why is it acceptable for other kinds of media in the iTunes store? And if Apple is so committed to getting rid of DRM, why did it renew Audible's exclusive, DRM-only audiobook deal, after Steve Jobs said that he wanted to get the DRM out of the iTunes store?

You'd think he'd be a little, tiny bit happy that DRM is gone from the music. Audiobooks and whatnot can't be that far off. Geez Cory, do you expect everything to be handed to you on a DRM-free silver platter? Take your victories when you get them.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 am UTC

linguistic wrote:
stormotech wrote:I registered just to congratulate Randall on the good, hearty laughs he induced when I saw this.

Both these people are saying the same thing.
They're written in different languages, yet both are (arguably) written in English.

i was thinking the same thing. Remarkable!! i just stared at that icon for awhile. Hypnotic.

i did think this was kinda mean - as a jab at the lightest laptop ever i like it, but as a jab at a dude with some kinda wasting disease it doesn't amuse me.

and yeah Black Hat Man's totally bein' his wicked self with that line! Why always trying to dissect and pigeonhole the poor guy!
He'd have you fooled anyway.
Last edited by standinginherfield on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
maintain wonder.

gam0vr

Postby gam0vr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 am UTC

New apple laptop that appears to be shown by SJ. Sorry if this isn't on-topic enough for you. I registered to post this, it's one of many good laffs.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/a ... dded_video

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 am UTC

I was a bit disappointed with BHG in this one.
When I saw the black hat I was expecting to read something amazing and possibly a bit disturbing. But that didn't happen
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Bomaz

Postby Bomaz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 am UTC

Where did the comic go? I can't seem to find it.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 am UTC

DrFyzziks wrote:You'd think he'd be a little, tiny bit happy that DRM is gone from the music. Audiobooks and whatnot can't be that far off. Geez Cory, do you expect everything to be handed to you on a DRM-free silver platter? Take your victories when you get them.

Right. I mean, it's not like you can buy DVDs without copy protection either. At least with music, Jobs had the excuse that digital music has been sold without copy protection for decades, and that DRM was a major step backwards. (Remember when he called the music industry out on that? As many and varied as Apple's crimes against humanity are, it's sad that they get stuck taking the blame for what the media giants demand of them on top of it all.)

But, alas, this is too little, too late for me; the appeal of a universally recognized format and a slightly lower price per track led me to abandon them for Amazon MP3 last year, and I doubt they'll ever have a compelling reason to switch back.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

toysbfun

Postby toysbfun » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

DrFyzziks wrote:Unfortunately, I think Cory isn't planning to get rid of his Steve Jobs voodoo doll anytime soon:
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/06/apple-dropping-drm-f.html

I don't get it -- if DRM is so foul that it can't be borne when it comes to music sales, why is it acceptable for other kinds of media in the iTunes store? And if Apple is so committed to getting rid of DRM, why did it renew Audible's exclusive, DRM-only audiobook deal, after Steve Jobs said that he wanted to get the DRM out of the iTunes store?

You'd think he'd be a little, tiny bit happy that DRM is gone from the music. Audiobooks and whatnot can't be that far off. Geez Cory, do you expect everything to be handed to you on a DRM-free silver platter? Take your victories when you get them.

Why, yes. Yes, I believe he does expect everything to be handed to him on a DRM-free silver platter. That's the philosophy he uses with his books.

SpringLoaded12

Re: "Keynote" Discussion

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

iTunes offering DRM-free music?

Two words. FUCK YES.

I think I might finally be able to get "Ten Years Kashmir II" without having an iPod!

(The song is done by an orchestra, is based on "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin, and has NO PIRATED COPIES AVAILABLE.)
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

Bomaz wrote:Where did the comic go? I can't seem to find it.

You violated the DRM and it's been removed.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

GreyingJay

Postby GreyingJay » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:So how do I exchange my DRM'd music for non-DRM music?

Apple calls it "iTunes Plus", and you should see an option to upgrade your library on the front page of the iTunes store.

GreyingJay

Postby GreyingJay » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

paroneayea wrote:I like how all the mac fanboys who were DRM apologists a few years ago are all celebrating this new 'feature'. (Then again, they're also celebrating the announcement that you can't remove batteries in the new macbooks.)

DRM apologists? Nobody wants DRM. But of all the DRM'd music platforms, Apple's was clearly the least restrictive. (Consider, for example, the Zune's 3-plays-or-3-days "squirt" policy). Most of those other platforms have since died a horrible death, and even the most die-hard Apple fanboy embraces the fact that other stores now sell unprotected MP3's. (Now, of course, the music landscape is totally different, and Apple's store, which hasn't changed much, is now seen as one of the more restrictive... but this means the industry is making progress!)

As for the new 17" Macbook Pro with the non-removable battery, I think you'll find that most of the fanboys are quite upset about that -- as they were about the non-removable battery in the Air, and the iPhone, iPods, ... the non-removable battery has long been something that Apple fans resent, but begrudgingly accept. The reason they are not completely outraged is because the promised 8-hour runtime sounds very reasonable and makes for an acceptable compromise.

No celebrations here. Please don't paint all the Apple folks with the same brush.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”