0528: "Windows 7"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0528: "Windows 7"

Postby aion7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Title text: "Diclaimer: I have not actually tried the beta yet. I hear it's quite pleasant and hardly Hitler-y at all."

The alt text really made this comic for me. Just the tone made me laugh.

Also, that is better than Vista.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.
aion7

Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: "Windows 7" discussion

Postby Sirobin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Hahaha, that's amazing. I have some friends I really want to show this to... :mrgreen:
Sirobin

Postby quadra_slam » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Godwin's Law!!! or... something like it anyways...

http://xkcd.com/261/
Last edited by quadra_slam on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
quadra_slam

Postby ahecht » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Godwin's law?
ahecht

Postby TheHand » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 am UTC

It makes his eyes flash... BRILLIANT!

Seeing as it's XKCD and all.
TheHand

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:04 am UTC

I haven't had that many problems with Vista, but I dislike it anyway just for John Hodgman's sake.
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby ysth » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Obviously MS's response to Apple's simplified interface.

Godwin's Law only applies in a reply, not in the original post, so so far we're good...
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
ysth

Postby LittleChrist » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Over at Apple HQ, Operation Valkyrie is in effect.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel
LittleChrist

Postby rascher » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 am UTC

ahecht wrote:Godwin's law?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
rascher

Postby MajorDishes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 am UTC

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Edit: Dammit.
Last edited by MajorDishes on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MajorDishes

Postby Darke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Shows you how far Microsoft has fallen when one can't even describe their beta versions as "Hilter-y".
At the end of the day, you have to worship the god that can set you on fire. It's just common sense.
Darke

Postby Carnildo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Well, it could be worse.

It could be a picture of Stalin.
Carnildo

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Vista is supposed to be bad?

It's better than XP .. . I don't know.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby kjiverx » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I am posting from a relatively fresh (2 days) Windows 7 install. It is very nice.
kjiverx

Postby aion7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:13 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Vista is supposed to be bad?

Simply put, no. No it is not better than XP. I fear for your sanity.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.
aion7

Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby ahecht » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:13 am UTC

rascher wrote:

I wasn't asking what Godwin's Law was, I was asking if it applied in this case, since this was a comic not a discussion (the previous post must've been posted simultaneously with mine). Whippersnapper.
ahecht

Postby mewshi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Sirobin wrote:Hahaha, that's amazing. I have some friends I really want to show this to... :mrgreen:

Like all of Slashdot?

Oh, you mean... REAL friends! o.o'
mewshi

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:15 am UTC

aion7 wrote:

How isn't it better than XP? It's newer! Doesn't that mean it would be faster, have more memory, etc?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:20 am UTC

For some reason the most obvious joke didn't occur to me and I expected the punch line to be about Valkyrie (or one of the other 7 or 8 movies set durring WWII coming out this year). I've been thinking about whether or not to get a new laptop and when; this made me laugh.
cephalopod9

Postby aion7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
aion7 wrote:

How isn't it better than XP? It's newer! Doesn't that mean it would be faster, have more memory, etc?

You'd think so, but well....

It didn't turn out well. Sort of like Windows ME.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

aion7

Postby Lure+Breaker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Title text: "Diclaimer: I have not actually tried the beta yet. I hear it's quite pleasant and hardly Hitler-y at all."

Note how it does not say *DiSclaimer*. Does this mean two people have claimed this?
Lure+Breaker

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 am UTC

...wut?

OK, yes, that is better than Vista, but what? A picture of Hitler? I seem to be missing the humour here.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby Shale » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:25 am UTC

As much as I'm not touching the "more memory" line with a ten-foot laser pole, I'm either the luckiest nerd alive or Vista is not nearly as bad as it's cracked up to be. I've been running it for over a year and it's been stable, easy to use, clean and generally a solid piece of work. Granted, any advantage over XP (which is also stable, easy to use and generally solid; it's installed on this machine in case I need it, which has happened for compatibility reasons maybe three times) has been down to personal preference, but it hasn't been any worse.
Shale

Postby lazarus89 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:25 am UTC

What the hell has XKCD become... Slashdot digest?
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.
lazarus89

Postby dennisw » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Hmmmm...

Windows 7 is extremely evil and Vista is more evil? That can mean only one thing!...

[cue Church Lady] SATAN?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!
dennisw

Postby photosinensis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:33 am UTC

Teal Deer response to this under the cut.

Spoiler:
The case against Vista;
-It's a hog. Not only does it require one hell of a graphics card, but it takes up quite a bit of memory
-DRM built in!
-Too damn many versions
-It costs too much

The case for Vista:
-The 64-bit version doesn't suck balls. In fact, there are drivers for it. If you've got a 64-bit box and want to use Windows, Vista is a superior choice.
-More secure than WinXP. This, however, is like saying "less of a junkie than Amy Winehouse"
-At least some efforts taken to run each service as its own user. Too bad disabling User Account Control (sudo for Windows) deactivates this feature
-Signed 64-bit drivers: actually nicer than you'd think. This does mean that if something causes a bluescreen, it's possible to point fingers in very specific directions

Advice: if you've got an XP box, install Linux. If you're buying a new box, don't fear the Vista. Besides, you'll get a rebate coupon for a free copy of Win7 when it comes out if you buy a new box now.

Windows 7 is actually pretty cool. I'm quite optimistic that Microsoft hasn't screwed the pooch entirely this time. The graphics aren't as intense (about equal to KDE4), the UI is designed with functionality first, and they ran with some sane options for the kernel. Also, I have good reason to believe that services will run under their own users by default now, with no way to turn that off. Many of the bad habits Windows programmers got themselves into have been sufficiently broken.

I've talked to people who nuked Vista and replaced it with builds of Win7, and they tell me that no amount of money would ever make them go back to either Vista or XP. In short, Win7 is what WinVista should have been.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.
photosinensis

Postby Talus » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 am UTC

Haha, i've been downloading the beta for the last several hours, and congratulating myself on not buying vista. If this is anywhere as improved as it seems it was money well saved. But anyways, back on topic. I really liked this one even the vista ribbing (though perhaps it's a little tired post sp1). And I'm sure that if nothing else, hitler would whole-heartedly approve of the UAC interface on both vista and (i'm assuming) windows 7 ;).
Talus

Postby GuitarFreak » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:46 am UTC

I've been using vista since may 07 and I have had very few problems with it. I thought it was better than XP. Got the windows 7 beta about 3 hours ago and I'm liking it so far.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.
GuitarFreak

Postby Aenh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Every other Windows OS is at least half-decent, it seems.
Aenh

Postby Capt. Eduardo del Mango » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:33 am UTC

That was a cheap gag. But it was a good cheap gag.
Capt. Eduardo del Mango

Postby wintre » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 am UTC

I believe the *Diclaimer* part is a pun on the word Dictator, quite subtle, but funny nonetheless =p
wintre

Postby Kazuke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Hitler was a Gou'ld.
Kazuke

Postby Rufaellie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:55 am UTC

Eh, my dad has a Vista, it works fine for him. He uses it for web design and such and has had less trouble with it than any other Windows machine. *Yawn* I just don't see the problem with Vista, but I still enjoy the "Vista is THE DEVIL!" jokes for the sake of themselves.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.
Rufaellie

Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Postby unsub » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:02 am UTC

Hahahaha. Making fun of Vista..hahahahha

ugggg.

:roll:

I've used Vista now for well over 2 years...every day...every fucking day. Barring a small level of bugs in the beginning, it's been far better than XP. UAC has forced developers to stop writing shit code running as admin. Things like transactional NTFS and a greatly improved scheduler are TANGIBLE improvements. It's not MS's fault that 99.9% of users (and 90% of XKCD readers) have no idea what kernel level improvements do.

The cheapest and shittiest integrated graphics shipping today will run areo without the slightest hiccup.

The built in DRM has been an absolute non issue, and the batshit insane ramblings about it causing a performance hit have been proven false. Can someone give me a single example of where Vista's DRM has been used? Anywhere? Even blu-ray hasn't been using it.

Hey.... you all need comic book style villains. MS has to be some gigantic evil empire so you can think life is this cool fight against the man.
unsub

Postby Etni » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:20 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:-More secure than WinXP. This, however, is like saying "less of a junkie than Amy Winehouse"

:D
Etni

Postby Southwest » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 am UTC

I've been running Vista on my new Christmas gift for... well, since Christmas... and, honestly, I haven't run into any problems (with such a long sample timeframe!). It seems to be quite stable. I don't use it for anything very intense, but for day-to-day work, everything's just fine. I want to get around to installing Ubuntu so I can dual-boot, but I haven't been displeased with Vista in the slightest.

But like Rufaellie, I do appreciate Vista-bashing jokes in and of themselves. This comic had me snickering.
Southwest

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 am UTC

I just finished watching the movie Untergang after watching all the meme videos of HItler's downfall (the Second Life one is one of my favorites, very unappreciated). Great movie. Also I was just having a convo with a friend who's trying to uninstall Vista and replace it with XP, meanwhile I'm trying to decide whether it's worth $150 to DOWNGRADE to XP if I get a new laptop.

You know what I'm gonna say?

"Great comic."

You know what I'm NOT gonna say?

"Oh me yarm Randall, get out of my head!"

:mrgreen:
prokrastinatorSF

Postby _plethora_ » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 am UTC

photosinensis wrote:This, however, is like saying "less of a junkie than Amy Winehouse"

I laughed irrationally hard at that. Possibly harder than I laughed at the comic.

I have no opinion on Vista because I bought my laptop a couple of months before it came out, and I don't have enough RAM to install it.

Kazuke wrote:Hitler was a Gou'ld.

Goa'uld.
*is the Spelling Police, even with fictional species*
_plethora_

Postby duane534 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:39 am UTC

I can confirm that, at least in build 7000, there are no references to Hitler in Windows 7.

As far as comparing and contrasting Windows versions is concerned, people need to check their history.

There WAS an internal build(s) of Vista that was based on XP, not Server 2003. Had that been released, it WOULD HAVE been like ME. That was ME's issue. Trying to tack on too much new security and new features without upgrading the kernel adequately. Luckily, they never released it and started over (hence the delay in release).

HOWEVER, any time that you do that major of a re-write, you will break things, especially badly coded things. Things that require administrative access for no reason. Things that execute data. Etc. XP let that stuff slide. Vista didn't. Why? Because it's insecure. Period. It's not like Microsoft didn't release betas for testing like MONTHS in advance or anything...

Now, we have Windows 7. It is a lot like Vista. Of course, it is. It is to Vista as Windows XP (pre-SP2) was to Windows 2000. Same kernel. Similar OS. Just polished and made more robust. The new taskbar is GENIUS. Ripped right out of KDE, but genius, nonetheless. UAC has been polished up nicely. WordPad is a REAL editor again. Paint is a REAL editor again. Best of all, it is almost as modular as a traditional Linux distro. You can take out what you don't need. Performance and security abound because of this.

Bear in mind, this is coming from a traditional *NIX fanboy. Windows 7 is the single best version of Windows ever created. Its current builds are more stable and better performing than both XP and Vista are NOW, even after several service packs. I am running it on a very early 64-bit AMD Sempron (think Celeron for AMD) with all visuals turned on. And, by God, it's faster than XP. I've never paid for a copy of Windows. I completely walked away from the platform between 2002 and 2008. This has brought me back. Finally, a M$ OS that is on par with the competition. Anyone who has an issue with it (or Vista SP1, for that matter) is not using a sub-par OS. They are merely incompetent.
duane534

Postby John » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:44 am UTC

I wonder if it helps make administrative tasks easier. I heard that was pretty important in a certain country during a certain period during a certain World War.

The problem with Vista is that it followed the very first version of Windows that was actually acceptable to your average user.

Windows 98 was a godsend, because Windows 95 was terrible. Windows XP was a godsend, because Windows 98 was terrible. Windows XP on the other hand, wasn't terrible. It was actually acceptable. So people weren't desperate to upgrade to Vista, because XP wasn't terrible. But because of the improvements in 98 from 95 (which mostly consisted of what they didn't do right in the first place) and the improvements of XP from 98 (which mostly consisted of not crashing every 10 minutes) means that we expected a similar improvement from Vista compared with XP.

Also is it actually possible to get your hands on a legal copy of Windows 7 for free?

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:OK, yes, that is better than Vista, but what? A picture of Hitler? I seem to be missing the humour here.
The humour (which may vary ;)) is that the latest version of Windows is nothing except a picture of Hitler. And yet despite simply being a picture of Hitler, its still better then Vista.
John

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads