0530: "I'm An Idiot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rocketrat

Re: "I'm An Idiot" Discussion

Postby rocketrat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 am UTC

A very predictable punchline, but it was still very funny.

DJBnJack

Postby DJBnJack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:11 am UTC

Is it sad if you didn't see the punchline coming... o_0

I was thinking, "good thing he has WiFi coverage"!

window

Postby window » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 am UTC

I love the art of ending a comic with a dialogue-free panel.

amorya

Postby amorya » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 am UTC

The command you're looking for is:

Code: Select all

osascript -e 'set volume 7'

Not that I've ever been in this situation, oh no...

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am UTC

I clearly have an even lower-tech brain, since for the whole strip I was wondering whether he had knocked...:D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Eskimo Inferno

Postby Eskimo Inferno » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:33 am UTC

I must confess, I didn't see the punchline coming. I put it down to getting 3 hours sleep last night after staying up to read just one more chapter... one more chapter....

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 am UTC

This is so me from when I lived in my own house I rented from my parents. The knob on the side door (the only door that I had a key to) had a button that could be pushed in to lock, but it could still be opened from the inside. This would cause many lock-outs.

Each time I had locked myself out, I would have to walk around until I found a window left unlocked, find something to stand on, then pull the screen out, open the window, and try to crawl in. Once I got in through a living room window; another time the kitchen window.

My grandmother lived in the house before me, and she was very prone to locking herself out. My dad had made her a spare key, which she kept in a small key box in the laundry room, which was accessible by going out onto the carport. Each time I locked myself out, I had forgotten about that spare key.

When my dad changed the locks, he forgot to give me a spare to put up in the box. When I locked myself out one evening, I walked down to the grocery store, used the payphone, and called him and told him I locked myself out. The next day I went to Wal-Mart and had a copy of my key made. The new lock didn't have a push button; it had a button you had to turn, so I knew to check if it was unlocked before closing it. Of course, I made it a habit of carrying my keys with me wherever I go, and before I left the house, double-checking my pockets for my keys.

Just in case.
PRG

An important message for you:

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 am UTC

I totally get Randall. He is not an idiot. Why do it simple if you can do it AWESOME?

I had some of the "break into your own house" episodes too when I was still in school and living at home. I had some issues with my mother which resulted in her taking away my key - she usually was at home when I came home from school so there shouldn't have been a problem. Except when I unexpectedly came home earlier or came home during lunch break (I was living about 5 minutes away from my school). So I was always searching for a way to get in. Including crawling into the shed through a window to get a ladder, climb into the house through the bathroom window, going out through the veranda door and putting the ladder back through the shed window when I came home early. Or, when I had to leave again i would reverse the actions and leave through the bathroom window. Of course I could have gone to our neighbor who had a spare key for our house, and who was ALWAYS home...
After a couple of weeks with me sneaking in at least twice a week when I came home before my mum she finally gave me my key back :twisted:

guayec

Postby guayec » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:29 am UTC

hahahahahahahahaha :D

great strip.

LazyMonk

Postby LazyMonk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 am UTC

always go low-tech when possible, you can't beat it.

nekomata

Postby nekomata » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:There needs to be a TV show about a guy who uses these kinds of geek tricks to, like, fight crime or something. A high-tech MacGuyver, if you will.

Everybody stand back! I know regular expressions!
<.<;;

Gero

Postby Gero » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:56 am UTC

ZenBearClaw wrote:...I had an amp and huge speakers as my PC speakers in my dorm room. VNC was always on and the amp was always on, sometimes I'd just whack up the volume and play Orf for the silly kids that insisted on being loud and drunk in the hall at 3am. ...

With Orf you mean Carl Orf's music, the dude who wrote the music used in the old spice add? My dad did that type of thing once, playing loud music to the people with hangovers after their party had disturbed his sleep. They thought it was Armageddon and came running out of the house, didn't look where they were going and bumped one guy into the pool. Good laugh. Of course I had a neighbour who left his amp "always on" and we had to trip the power to his room quite regularly. There were only two single rooms on that trip switch so we lent the other guy a ups.

As for getting locked out, I have numerous stories about breaking back in to my own house - so we meat again Mr Yale, my old nemesis! The worst thing is if you go through all the motions to get the ladder to get in the shed to get in the garage to get the spare key, only to find someone had hooked the safety chain. HARRRR! I'm now so paranoid I carry two copies of my car keys all the time :) One tends to do that when one locks yourself out, two states over from the spare key.

Pro tip: those small triangular little windows on the back door of the car are more expensive and more difficult to break than just about any other window in the car.

oddsock

Postby oddsock » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

I liked this one - it reminded me of when I got my computer at home to speak while I was at work, except that I didn't have Mac at home so I had to use 'say' on my Mac at work, record the result, encode it to ogg, send it to the Linux box at home and then play it from there. I think I got it to say 'Help! I'm trapped inside this box!' or something like that. Totally freaked out my flatmate.

Anyway, Linux users need not despair: check out 'festival': it's got a scheme command line and everything.

BlackRiven

Postby BlackRiven » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Oh yeah... Reminds me a moment of my own when I had sound problems some 8 years ago.

Things I did to solve the lack of audio:
Checked the connections.
Raised the speaker volume to max.
Raised the volume in volume mixer to max.
Played around with the device manager.
Downloaded new drivers.

Things the tech support guy did when I brought it over:
Opened the volume mixer, and unchecked "mute".
:x :oops:
Calculus ist krieg!!!!!factorialfactorial11

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

What's the os command for "doorbell?"
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

vish

Postby vish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

The Mad Scientist wrote:A dilemma presents itself

you keep using that word
i don't think it means
what you think it means

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

Surprisingly, this has never happened to me, although I've reminded other people how idiotic they've been before. Like in a science class this one time when somebody didn't exactly read the instructions right and stuff.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

pyrodude150

Postby pyrodude150 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

stangely remniscent of http://xkcd.com/481/

the doorstep, the realization of his own stupidty, i wonder if its the same guy
Mekmek wrote: try crushing an egg with your hand for further understanding of the topic.

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

I think we're missing the more important issue presented in this comic. Randall has a female roommate! You go, Randall!

Susy

Postby Susy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

I guess this happens everytime you get caught in the "solving" rather than in the "solution"....though you actually get to enjoy it so much more...sure, ´till someone points out you are an idiot.

pyrodude150

Postby pyrodude150 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

jdmack wrote:I think we're missing the more important issue presented in this comic. Randall has a female roommate! You go, Randall!

he has 2, read his old blog entries
Mekmek wrote: try crushing an egg with your hand for further understanding of the topic.

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

I have the date view set to include seconds, this thread was first. If it wasn’t a true story, Randy, I would have asked if I’d told you about the idiot guest of my upstairs neighbor who tried several things and ultimately broke our front door. At least you didn’t manage that.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:44 pm UTC

Oh, wow.... awesome!

Athena:Desktop Luke$ say `cat briefhistoryoftime.txt`
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

RaptorAttack

Postby RaptorAttack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

The Mad Scientist wrote:This is exactly the kind of mistake that really smart people tend to make. A dilemma presents itself, and where most people would feel only frustration, the very smart person feels both frustration and excitement: now they get to think their way out of a dilemma! The dilemma is necessarily either easy or difficult to resolve, and most of the time the very smart person is good at determining which is the case. If there's a simple solution, they almost always find it quickly; if there's no simple solution, they usually discover a more subtle solution in time.

Once in a great while, though, they fail to realize that a dilemma is in fact easy to resolve, skip right over the simple solution, and spend hours looking for a subtle solution. Sometimes they find one, and sometimes the simple solution is the only solution: either way, they eventually realize (or have it pointed out to them) that there is a simple solution, and they end up looking like the stick figure in the last frame of this comic.

What's really annoying is when some idiot points out the simple solution. -_-

In a way I agree with you... I do think that a crutch of some intelligent people is a tendency to overanalyze things that are in fact quite simple, and dissect things so much that perhaps they miss the big picture and get bogged down in details... I know people on forums, in particular, do this a lot (perhaps this forum more than any else I've ever seen). I do it myself.

On the other hand, I wonder if this isn't just us reassuring ourselves that we're smart people? I mean, why is it smart to miss the simple solution, and then the person who points it out to you is the lucky idiot? (I know you were being tongue-in-cheek there, but I just thought it was interesting to think about).

If you look at the two characters in the comic for instance, it could be that both characters are intelligent, but the guy just saw being locked out as the opportunity to find some complicated solution and show off, until the girl totally deflated him :) I've seen similar situations to that in real life. But then perhaps I am overanalyzing the comic RIGHT NOW. Oh God.

petezich

Postby petezich » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

osascript -e 'set volume 7'

So many useful things in Applescript.

tedington

Postby tedington » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

sudo osascript -e "set Volume 10"

sudo osascript -e "set Volume 11"

fixed!

Lóng the Dragon

Postby Lóng the Dragon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

To add to the list of people that had trouble with their audio, I spent a whole evening wondering why my sound was so low and why it sounded oddly mechanical. Turns out I still had my headphones plugged in. :?

Amazing comic (but what else could I expect?). :D
I'm just being bilingually redundant.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

oddsock wrote:I liked this one - it reminded me of when I got my computer at home to speak while I was at work, except that I didn't have Mac at home so I had to use 'say' on my Mac at work, record the result, encode it to ogg, send it to the Linux box at home and then play it from there. I think I got it to say 'Help! I'm trapped inside this box!' or something like that. Totally freaked out my flatmate.

Anyway, Linux users need not despair: check out 'festival': it's got a scheme command line and everything.

I thought espeak was installed by default in almost every distro.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Gah... I had a similar episode two weeks ago...

I was sitting in my car in a scenic overlook eating with my gf. One of the items was feta cheese, in oil. The oil was spilling a bit from the container, so i started with one napkin-checked to see how much oil it absorbed. I then started trying to calculate the volume of oil in the container to know how many napkins I'd need...

My gf said 'open your window and drain it outside the car'.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Also I wish I knew how to do stuff like this. There needs to be a TV show about a guy who uses these kinds of geek tricks to, like, fight crime or something. A high-tech MacGuyver, if you will.
That would be AWESOME! I'm pretty sure I'd watch that.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

proteus

Postby proteus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

This was totally deja vu for me. About three months ago, I needed to get hold of my partner, who I knew was at home. I tried calling, but got sent straight to voicemail (she'd forgot to charge her phone again...). She wasn't on IRC or IM. So I ssh-ed into the Mac Mini in our living room, checked /Volumes and noticed that there was a DVD mounted, checked 'ps' and found out that DVD player was running and consuming some resources.

$ oascript 'tell application "DVD Player" to pause dvd' && say "hi. Proteus needs to talk to you. Please charge your phone and call, or get on IRC."

Freaked her right the hell out for a second. ;-)

Electric Prophet

Postby Electric Prophet » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

This totally sounds like something I would do.

jbakid

Postby jbakid » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Pifreak94 wrote:This one seems to be the first thread created with the proper format, so...

Is it actually possible to set the volume in OS X using command line?

Yes. Where x is a number from 0 to 10, you type:
sudo osascript -e "set Volume x"

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I saw the punchline coming a mile away though I expected "did you try knocking" instead of a doorbell, but it is the same difference.

Calsans

Postby Calsans » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

I love this comic... Sadly, i've done things like this before.
-ringing doorbell
-knocking
-calling someone inside
-knocking WHILE ringing the doorbell AND calling someone inside

...Turns out the door was unlocked the whole time, and nobody else was inside my house at the moment, so phoning someone was completely useless, but I can relate to this comic.... Didn't have my computer at the time, so I couldn't go to as drastic of measures as this, but still....
ImageImageImageImageImage
CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY

adaviel

Postby adaviel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

I've actually done this. Used "say", that is. But I don't think it worked.

The babysitter was home, but the phone was off the hook. I ssh'd in and tried to use "say put the phone handset back".
Before babysitters had cellphones or used IM all day ...

pschastain

Postby pschastain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

As a kitchen manager, I once paid someone $65 to light a frickin' pilot light on a deep fryer. After determining it wasn't the pilot light that was the problem. Truly, one of my finer moments. Leadership by example, I always say.

On a side note, I used to turn on speech not so the computer could talk, but so I could talk to the computer. Wanna mess with family, friends, and guests? Stand behind 'em as they browse the web, and in your best Picardian voice say 'Computer, shut down now!'. Be ready to move quickly.

Now excuse me, I must go enable Remote Login on my wife's laptop before she gets up.

-Peter

wrincewind

Postby wrincewind » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

oh, awesome...

i read [?] the silent panels as the stickman turning his head to look at the doorbell.
and the linux 'espeak' command rocks, i just got linux a couple of days ago...

and this brings back good fond memories of the time i carried a ladder across a mile and a half of countryside [clambering over barbed wire and fences by using it, occasionally as a see-saw and once by flipping it into and across a narrow alley] to help a friend who'd locked hisself out.

BigglesPiP

Postby BigglesPiP » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

I'd have ssh'd onto the machine she was likely using and wall'd at her. Although that would rather depend on her using a terminal at the time... Is she into compiling?

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Waldo wrote:Heh, I didn't know about the 'say' command until I saw the comic.

Oh the fun I shall have now... :twisted:

say -v Good boom de yada boom de yada

My gift to you
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”