0530: "I'm An Idiot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Mad Scientist

Re: "I'm An Idiot" Discussion

Postby The Mad Scientist » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

vish wrote:you keep using that word
i don't think it means
what you think it means

Oh no, Inigo?

www.dictionary.com wrote:1. a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives.
2. any difficult or perplexing situation or problem.

I'm using it in the second, looser sense, not in the first, more restrictive sense. I suppose you could argue that if a "dilemma" turns out to be "simple", then it's not a dilemma. But until you can determine whether or not it's simple, you don't know if it's a dilemma or not, and it appears to be a dilemma.

RaptorAttack wrote:On the other hand, I wonder if this isn't just us reassuring ourselves that we're smart people? I mean, why is it smart to miss the simple solution, and then the person who points it out to you is the lucky idiot? (I know you were being tongue-in-cheek there, but I just thought it was interesting to think about).

Just pointing out a simple solution to a problem doesn't make you an idiot; it just sucks when the person who points out the simple solution also happens to be an idiot. Also, I don't think that smart people are more likely to overlook a simple solution, but they're more likely to spend hours looking for a more subtle solution if they have overlooked a simple solution.

RaptorAttack wrote:If you look at the two characters in the comic for instance, it could be that both characters are intelligent, but the guy just saw being locked out as the opportunity to find some complicated solution and show off, until the girl totally deflated him :)

Sure. The girl is not an idiot just because she saw the simple solution.

superfan99

activate VNC

Postby superfan99 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

There's a way to turn on Remote Access via the command line, then you can just connect via the built-in "Remote Access" client to take over the screen, both say whatever you want and show whatever - plus adjust the volume.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2370?viewlocale=en_US

:)

becker

Postby becker » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

I have root on my son's iMac in the basement. (Hey, I paid for it!)
I ssh into his machine from upstairs and use the 'say' command to say "Hey, Stupid, go to bed. It's midnight"

He's 14 and he's turned into a vampire. He's completely nocturnal.
I don't care, except that he's a complete bag of shit in the morning and won't get up to go to school.

He doesn't like me saying stuff on his computer, so he mutes it.

Thanks for: osascript -e 'set volume 7'

I was actually looking for that.

Hee Hee Hee.
I have root. I can continue to parent.

Now I just need to get him to respect sudo.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:What's the os command for "doorbell?"

Perhaps he could of played an MP3 recording of her doorbell? I'm not quite sure how SSH works, never have done it, it would probably have to be on her computer locally. Unlikely someone would have a recording of their door bell on their computer though.

becker wrote:I have root on my son's iMac in the basement. (Hey, I paid for it!)
I ssh into his machine from upstairs and use the 'say' command to say "Hey, Stupid, go to bed. It's midnight"
. . .

Adopt me :D ? I promise I'll be be diurnal.
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Heh, I did something kind of similar to this once - I got to work early and the place was still locked, although I presumed that my boss was in there. So I turned on the laptop and sent him an email asking him to let me in :)

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Ahh yes...
The say command... I believe that it is one of the most dastardly evil :twisted: commands ever to be part of the default installation for an operating system.

I still need too learn how to create ether launchd or cron scripts and use them to make the computer sing at a predefined time. :evil: MWAhahahaha :twisted:
Windows: Life without walls.
In a world without walls or fences, nobody would need windows or gates.

Xsera is coming!

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

jdmack wrote:I think we're missing the more important issue presented in this comic. Randall has a female roommate! You go, Randall!

Wait... opposite-gendered roommates? You can do that? Oh my god, this changes everything.

wrincewrind wrote:this brings back good fond memories of the time i carried a ladder across a mile and a half of countryside [clambering over barbed wire and fences by using it, occasionally as a see-saw and once by flipping it into and across a narrow alley] to help a friend who'd locked hisself out.

He must be a really good friend. I wish I had friends who would do that...

Augh, you're all discussing Mac code. I don't understand it, I use Windows.

Randall, I simultaneously applaud your persistence and resourcefulness, while chuckling at your mistake.

But of course, we've all been in that situation. Two stories of mine:

1. I had gotten home from school much earlier than usual, and both my parents work, so they wouldn't be home until 5 or 6. My little brother went to an After School Program daily, meaning he would get home with one of my parents. I went out into the garage to get something by going through one of the house's doors (they are connected as one structure). As I walked to get the object, the door swung shut behind me. I went to open it, and it was locked. I tried the other two doors that lead into the house, and they too were locked. I waited 2 1/2 hours for someone to come home. :( I have never left home without my house key since.

2. My class took a field trip to HP headquarters, which was surprisingly close to our school. They showed us a video explaining some things to us, and found that no sound would come out. I, being the class's master of Windows machines, was asked to fix the issue. I checked every volume control source on the machine, finding them all at maximum. A jock sitting nearby, who knew little of computers (I've had to write codes for him in Java programming class), turned up the speaker volume. Problem solved. :(

Randall, you could've also tried tapping on the windows, but from that you would've remembered knocking on the door...
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

ohki

Postby ohki » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

In expected "RANDALL, GET OUT OF MY HEAD" fashion, this happened to me about 2-3 days ago. I can see through the corner of his blinds: he has noise canceling headphones on and is plugged into RockBand. I knock on both doors to his apartment and his windows- nothing. I call him three times- nothing. I call my other friend and tell him to message him on Live, but that friend's xbox isn't set up. So he AIMs him, but he doesn't see it because the screen is behind him.

So, we just stand outside his door and wait until he takes the headphones of for a sec and just start beating on his door for all it's worth- success!

A great, though no longer practical, trick was possible back in the days of dial up. Hook a headset up to the modem's phone line, else where in home. Wait until you hear the familiar moose calls of the modem coming from the other room, pick up headset, yell through it.
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

in-xkcd

Postby in-xkcd » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

The more important question is when do we get to see who stole the backpack between frame 1 and frame 7?

Did a stealth raptor on a hoverboard swoop down and take it?

jiminizer

Postby jiminizer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Registered just to post on this comic - I did something similar recently - I went round to a friend's house but he doesn't have adoorbell and i didn't have my mobile - I did have my laptop though, so after a few minutes with kismet + aircrack I was into his WiFi where I managed to get him on Windows Live Messenger :D

berto17

Postby berto17 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

Lawl.

Unbalanced

Postby Unbalanced » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 am UTC

I love messing around with Microsoft Sam.

SOISOISOISOISOISOISOI

Joby

Postby Joby » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Although not to the same extent, I have made similar mistakes. Luckily, I can usually get to my dorm room through social engineering.

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 am UTC

I can't remember any times that's happened to me, but when I was maybe sixteen years old or so (this was about thirteen years ago), I was asleep one night and maybe about five AM I was slowly awakened by something repeatedly hitting my window. I groggily got up and went over to my window. My mom was standing underneath it and I opened the window and she said "Let me in the house, I locked myself out and I don't have a key." (Or something like that. I forget what she was outside for in the first place.) I went downstairs and let her in and then went back to bed. During the day, my mom realised that she had an extra house key in her unlocked car which was in the unlocked* garage.

*The back door to the garage NEVER stayed closed. Even when the door was fully in the frame, it would always open by itself. Luckily we lived out in the middle of nowhere back then, otherwise we'd have been robbed every freaking week, probably.

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 am UTC

He apparently couldn't find anything to throw at the window, despite the laptop he was carrying.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 am UTC

jdmack wrote:I think we're missing the more important issue presented in this comic. Randall has a female roommate! You go, Randall!

I was wondering how long it would take someone to make a post like this. Official count - fifty-one posts, nine hours, twenty-four minutes (33.8 ks). In honor of your achievement, I hereby grant you the ceremonial vaguely insulting archive link.

Now on to the important business.

Roommate, Girlfriend, BHrG - a visual guide.

Um...uh...little help?

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Graham Finch wrote:He apparently couldn't find anything to throw at the window, despite the laptop he was carrying.

Yes! I read through the whole thread just to make sure that nobody else realized that he couldn't find anything to throw at the window. For some reason, this is the most striking part of the comic for me. No rocks, no sticks, no clods of dirt? No mouse, no keys, no something that rhymes with dirt?

MaxtotheMax

Postby MaxtotheMax » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 am UTC

I know a Mac user who set his volume with alsamixer. Of course, he also installed stuff with apt, so it doesn't surprise me to learn that alsamixer isn't installed by default in OS X. Oh well, there goes my helpful advice.

Reminds me of the time I got a "broken" NIC working by switching it to a different PCI slot.

It also reminds me of this time I was getting the same gibbrish out of a function every time, and the gibbrish changed if I declared new variables before I called the function. I rewrote the function a few times, but it turns out that every single time I rewrote it, I forgot a return statement. D'oh!

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:29 am UTC

I'm the kind of person who might lock myself out again. It makes me want to learning to pick locks. But that's illegal, isn't it? >:

ArbitraryConstant

Postby ArbitraryConstant » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:55 am UTC

This happened to me in university!

I lost track of time at the library, and they closed without sending someone around to poke everyone. I had my laptop, but not my phone. I was in a work room, but I was pretty sure alarms would go off if I went out.

I found someone who was on IM, and she called campus security for me. :)

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 am UTC

Nemphael wrote:I'm the kind of person who might lock myself out again. It makes me want to learning to pick locks. But that's illegal, isn't it? >:

Knowing how to do it is legal in the USA. Here is what you need to know and if making your own lockpicks is too scary you can buy lockpicks online. But learning to pick locks takes work so I'm going to suggest that you just buy yourself a set of bump keys. (Which really do work as advertised, and are also legal. At least in some places.)
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

MaxtotheMax

Postby MaxtotheMax » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

I just remembered this thing:
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Open-Sesame.aspx
Now THAT was a really good idea!

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:I'm the kind of person who might lock myself out again. It makes me want to learning to pick locks. But that's illegal, isn't it? >:

I'm going to have to presume (since you didn't specify) that you live in the US.

Owning lock picks and knowing how to use them is completely legal. What is illegal is possession of those tools with intent to commit a crime.

Don't let anyone tell you differently or scare you away from learning something new. Lock picking is a very fun sport practiced by many all over the country. Google will give you access to good educational resources and places to buy your first sets.

Nicole88

Postby Nicole88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Aw. You're not an idiot, Randall.
You're just too smart.
I'm drunk on panda mystery.

A.DTheMediocre

Postby A.DTheMediocre » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Also I wish I knew how to do stuff like this. There needs to be a TV show about a guy who uses these kinds of geek tricks to, like, fight crime or something. A high-tech MacGuyver, if you will.

The closest we're likely to get for a while is Numbers. It involves math and crime fighting, but it skimps on MacGuyverism.

I've often wondered if Randall's stick figures really conveyed emotion or if I was just projecting on to them. I got a load of them, removed the text, and tried to guess the emotion, and I got the vast majority right. Not a perfect test, sure, but I'd need someone who's never seen them before to make a truly accurate test and I can't really be bothered. I guess human beings are good enough at reading expressions that we can infer emotions from small changes, such as the slight uptilting of the head, and, in Randall's case at least, communicate through them as well.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

in-xkcd wrote:The more important question is when do we get to see who stole the backpack between frame 1 and frame 7?

Did a stealth raptor on a hoverboard swoop down and take it?

Both the backpack and the laptop are missing in panel 4!
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

lbutler

Postby lbutler » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

osascript -e 'set volume output volume 100' \
-e 'say "OPEN THE DOOR!!"'

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

This is what every authority figure (except math teachers) has been trying to get me to realize: the simplest answer may just be the best.

It reminds me of that riddle where you have a tub full of water, and some guy gives you a teacup, a teaspoon, and a bucket, and you have to find the easiest way of emptying the tub.

For your viewing pleasure:
Spoiler:
The drain, silly. I must say, the cheese truly is burning me.
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

brandnewmath

Postby brandnewmath » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

I had a big "I'm an idiot" moment while studying for the RHCE last month.

I was going to give a presentation to some people and had emailed them some slides. At the last minute, I decided to add a couple of things, but it was less than half an hour before the event started, and I wasn't sure they'd get any update that I emailed since the place they were at had no internet access. Therefore, I made a plan.

I set up a DHCP server on my laptop so they could just plug in and get an IP address. Then I set up an NFS server exporting a directory that had just the updated file in it, so they could mount and use it or copy it over, whichever they deemed easier. It was going to be so easy: I'd walk in with my laptop, a cheap ethernet hub, and a couple of cables, and we'd get everything set up in a snap...

My roommate asked me what I was doing, and after I described it to him, he said, "Why not just use a USB thumb drive?"

*slaps forehead*

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

MaxtotheMax wrote:I just remembered this thing:
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Open-Sesame.aspx
Now THAT was a really good idea!

On a related note...

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/ITAPPMONROBOT.aspx

There's got to be someone out there who's not read it...
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

mythago

Postby mythago » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 am UTC

cyberblade wrote:Owning lock picks and knowing how to use them is completely legal. What is illegal is possession of those tools with intent to commit a crime.

If you live in the US, you know that criminal law is generally state-specific. That is, there are fifty different states, each with their own criminal/penal code, and what may be perfectly legal in one is not legal in another. I would very carefully check YOUR STATE LAWS regarding lockpicks before assuming they are "legal in the US." Now, it may be true that simple possession of a lockpick is not illegal in any US state, but do not assume.
three lines of plaintext
obsolete signature form
replaced by JPEGs

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

In many places only locksmiths are allowed to have them.

Speaking of locks, why is this thread open and the other one locked? The other one was first, and I thought duplicates were just being merged instead of locked now anyway?

Actually, who is looking over this forum if Jack Saladin is no longer a moderator?

DCTenor1

Postby DCTenor1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

So, silly question... what happened to the bag that was leaning against the steps in the first panel? :-)

mfc

Postby mfc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

I'm not so sure that the chap on the steps is such an idiot. After all, when he looks at the building the doorbell push isn't there (check frame 4). Only we can see it...

Sheko

Postby Sheko » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Hey, sorry for being kinda...code-illiterate, but can someone tell me how I would ssh into another mac? I wanna prank my brother tonight.

EDIT: Problem-solved. Gotta love google. Now if only there was a way to ssh into a computer across the internet without their ports being forwarded.
Last edited by Sheko on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Analog - ftw! :D

I recently had my own "locked out" experience. Building and offices have RFID scanners. It was after hours and I was changing into some nice clothes for an evening event. Went to the men's room to put on my tie. Men's room is in the general hallway - office spaces have individual scanners. Left my badges (no RFID), wallet (no emergency contact list), keys (no car), cell phone (no contact list) all on my desk. Of course I couldn't get back into my office space.

Solution: Walked to local Verizon store (did I mention it was snowing), bought yet another phone (already have the kids and my daughter's bf on the plan), attached to the company exchange server and downloaded my contact list. First few people didn't answer because they were at parties and had their phones off. Sent a few text messages. Finally, someone came and let me back into the offices so I could gather up my stuff.

I now have an OCD complex about checking to make sure I have the RFID tag with me every time I even get near that door, even when other people are there. (I'm first in line when they start implanting the chips.)
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Nintendo01

Postby Nintendo01 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:32 am UTC

I, too, have a "locked out" story. I have a habit of locking the door to my car whenever I leave. Well, I took the car to be serviced and the service tech said to leave the keys in the ignition and go fill out some paperwork, then he'll take the car back to the garage. Me, following my habit, locked the door before closing it, with the key in the ignition. I tried the clicker, which I had detached from the key because the tech didn't want anything attached to the key, but Hondas won't let the clicker work with a key in the ignition. Luckily I was at the dealership and it just cost me a couple of bucks for them to cut me a spare key by pulling up my VIN. Now I keep the spare key in my wallet so I'm never locked out again!

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

A similar thing happened to me when I was naught but a young lad. School bus dropped me off, Dad was out of town, Mom wouldn't be home until late, so I was alone until 9pm. Garage door was frozen shut, spare key wasn't in its usual spot.

All this was in a BLIZZARD, by the way. 13 inches of snow (and climbing), and I walked a mile and a half to the neighbors' house, and wait for them to get home two hours later.

It never once occurred to me to break a window.

gringer

Postby gringer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:21 am UTC

All this was in a BLIZZARD, by the way. 13 inches of snow (and climbing), and I walked a mile and a half to the neighbors' house

uphill both ways, I'll bet.

rektide

Postby rektide » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:46 am UTC

once i resolved the "os ten - os ex" debate with the say command.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”