0532: "Piano"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0532: "Piano"

Postby r4z0rw0lf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:02 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/532/
alt text: Good thing he didn't make it smaller, or it'd need someone three inches tall to play it.
i dont get it! i may be too tired!
Last edited by r4z0rw0lf on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
r4z0rw0lf

Re: "Piano" Discussion

Postby bananarchy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 am UTC

I think I don't get it.
bananarchy

Postby FearfulFerret » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 am UTC

I can think of quite a few ways, many of them somewhat disturbing, in which this comic makes me laugh.
Last edited by FearfulFerret on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
FearfulFerret

Postby madAlric » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 am UTC

it's wordplay without the words.

pianist.
madAlric

Postby Fuzzy OneThree » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 am UTC

AH! So horrible!!!

EDIT: I get it now. The joke is done the reversed. Well played, Mr. Munroe.
Last edited by Fuzzy OneThree on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Fuzzy OneThree

Postby SEE » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 am UTC

bananarchy wrote:I think I don't get it.

Well, there's a famous joke where the guy asked a genie for something, and got a twelve-inch pianist instead, because the genie misheard.

So . . .
SEE

Postby SwissArmyAnts » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:06 am UTC

madAlric wrote:it's wordplay without the words.

pianist.

You beat me to it.
The moment I got the joke, I rushed to the forums hoping to explain it to everyone, but alas, I was too late.

Well done.
CALVINIST ARGUMENT, a.k.a. TERTULLIAN'S ARGUMENT
(1) If God exists, then he will let me watch you be tortured forever.
(2) I rather like that idea.
(3) Therefore, God exists.
SwissArmyAnts

Postby Quantum Jack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:07 am UTC

I understand the supposed play on words but i don't get her reaction... why would she be... happy about that
Quantum Jack

Postby Twip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:07 am UTC

There's an old joke that goes:

There is this guy who walks into a bar and notices a man 12 inches tall playing the piano. He asks what it is all about and the barman tells him he'll tell him later.

So he asks the barman for a drink and the barman says,
'Before you get your drink you get to rub the magic beer bottle and make a wish.'

'OK,' says the guy.

He goes to the bottle and rubs it and, boom, out comes a genie, who says,
'You have one wish.'

The man thinks about it and then wishes for a million bucks. A cloud of smoke fills the room and when the smoke clears there are a million ducks crowding the bar.

He tells the barman,
'Hey, I didn't want a million ducks.'

The barman replies, 'You think I wanted a 12-inch pianist?'
Twip

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Quantum Jack wrote:I understand the supposed play on words but i don't get her reaction... why would she be... happy about that

I don't know how much you know about pianist and penis sizes, but what might be small for a pianist is actually quite large for a penis. Human penises, anyway.
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby Ctta0s » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:08 am UTC

The joke this joke is punning on (as originally told by my rabbi):

A guy goes into a bar and sits down at the bar and says to the bartender, “If I provide you with the evening’s entertainment for the bar, will you buy me my drinks?” The bartender says, “Sure, let’s see what you got.” So the guy reaches into pocket of his jacket and he takes out a little tiny baby grand piano, and he reaches into his other pocket and he takes out a man in a tuxedo who’s a foot high and a bench. And he puts the bench in front of the little piano, and the man walks across the bar, opens the piano, sits down, and begins playing magnificently. The bartender says, “Wow, that’s great,” and starts pouring the guy his drinks. A little while into the evening, the bartender says to the guy, “Where did you get this?” The guy says, “To be honest with you, I was walking down the beach and my foot hit this brass lamp,” and he reaches into his briefcase and pulls out a brass lamp and puts it on the bar. He says, “I dusted the lamp off and there was a puff of smoke and suddenly a genie was there, and he granted me a wish.” The bartender says, “Wow, can I try it?” The guy says, “Be my guest.” So the bartender rubs the lamp, there’s a puff of smoke, and suddenly there’s a genie there and he says, “Your wish is my command.” The bartender says, “Ok. I want a million bucks.” The genie says, “Done!” and there’s a puff of smoke and suddenly the bar is filled with a million ducks, quacking their heads off. And the bartender says, “What the hell is this? I didn’t ask for a million ducks.” And the guy says, “And I didn’t ask for a twelve-inch pianist.”

EDIT: awww... ninjaed.
Ctta0s

Postby dennisw » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:09 am UTC

The problem with this comic is that the title text gives the lower limit which seems about right for the scale of the drawing. It leaves the larger pianist interpretation too dependent on external information.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!
dennisw

Postby GbLiNg420 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 am UTC

You were warned!
GbLiNg420

Postby TheHand » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 am UTC

Here's to jokes we all know!

I like the flavor of this comic. Hot times!
TheHand

Postby nahtanoj999 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:11 am UTC

This is an old joke and the comic doesn't really add anything to it, other than reversing it. Not to mention that the height of some who played that piano would probably be about 4-5 inches.
nahtanoj999

Postby Pit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:13 am UTC

If you follow the joke, you'd realize that the pianist is 12 inches, which is something the girl would be attracted to. Which is why the alt text is what it is.

I mean, they never really specify the size.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit
Pit

Postby caseyquicksilver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 am UTC

I figured the punchline had something to do with how much "pianist" sounds like "penis", but scratched my head at the concept of a girl suddenly deciding to pursue a guy after he admitted he had a tiny dingy.

The reference to the "twelve inch pianist" makes a lot more sense. Cute reversal on the standard joke, but still came off as silly. In his own words, can't we, as a culture, move on?
caseyquicksilver

Postby Twip » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 am UTC

nahtanoj999 wrote:This is an old joke and the comic doesn't really add anything to it, other than reversing it. Not to mention that the height of some who played that piano would probably be about 4-5 inches.

These sorts of comments illustrate the only thing wrong with XKCD's sort of humor. They attract a crowd that completely nit pick every discrepancy instead of taking it at face value for a laugh or two.
Twip

Postby Storm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Took two readings to make it make sense, but grand once it did.
GbLiNg420 wrote:i aint get it but dat chick likes painos?????? dat dont make sence tho cuz i woudl of still played dat u dont need no small man to play dat
The typical internet struck again.
Last edited by Storm on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Storm

Postby r4z0rw0lf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 am UTC

GbLiNg420 wrote:i aint get it but dat chick likes painos?????? dat dont make sence tho cuz i woudl of still played dat u dont need no small man to play dat

OH MY GOD. the windows != Cell PHONE.
oh and if i read that properly, they are not talking about pianos. they are talking about something different.
r4z0rw0lf

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 am UTC

how is babby formed
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.
Jack21222

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Don't you mean a thirty-centimeter pianist...?
SocialSceneRepairman

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:22 am UTC

To the comic:

[facepalm]Xkcd... How fallen! How changed![/facepalm][/Milton]

I liek pank colurz
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.
Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby aion7 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 am UTC

I must admit, I didn't get it until I saw it explained here. I do like it now that I get it though.

Also, remember when pink was for girls/brave and indie guys instead of quote unquote pimps?

Aaaaaaaand, you have to do way instain mother>
Last edited by aion7 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.
aion7

Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 am UTC

This would have been one epic of a comic if I had heard that twelve inch pianist joke beforehand.
SpazzyMcGee

Postby ScottTFrazer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Yeah, count me in the group that immediately thought he asked for "a small pianist" and therefore got a tiny johnson.

Maybe it would have been more obvious if he'd said it was a 1/6 scale model of a piano? or something else to indicate that pianist is supposed to be around 12"
ScottTFrazer

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 am UTC

No!
*slap*
Bad twelve-year-old!

By the way, I don't understand how people don't get this. It's pretty simple, really.

(Seriously, you folks never heard the 12-inch pianist joke before?)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby krynd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Randall, I thought we all agreed long ago: we were all moving on as a society. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of penis jokes, particularly coming from a comic that was [once] known for witty humor centering around nerdy, or otherwise abnormal, ideas. Penis jokes are the jokes of frat boys and teenagers with their mind perpetually in the gutter, not of adults who should have the capability of determining when a joke isn't funny anymore.

EDIT: apologies to mature "frat boys". Unfortunately, you are too far and few between (thanks to movies like "Animal House" and "American Pie", which every 20-something male seems to adopt as a lifestyle instead of recognizing as a joke) for the reference not to apply. </rant>
Last edited by krynd on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.

WCG xkcd team
krynd

Postby eleniy86 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 am UTC

look, this is the proper way to write:
I DON't get it, but THAT chick likes PIANOS?????? THAT DOESN'T make SENSE, THOUGH I COULD HAVE still played THAT; YOU DON'T need A small man

you know when you read quotes or comments and you assign a voice to it? (haha Morgan Freeman :-D ) this gives me the hillbilly-uneducated-barefoot-pregnant-14-year-old-i'm-missing-a-tooth voice

brittney spears if she couldn't sing...*shivers*
"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things." -Randy Pausch
eleniy86

Postby smar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:29 am UTC

This makes no sense...the scale is all off. Personally I wouldn't get that excited if a guy told me he had a mini corn-dog for a penis.
smar

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Obvious troll is obvious.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Baalthazaq » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 am UTC

I can't decide if it's funnier with or without further elaboration.....

Maybe he could have mentioned the size of the pianist who'd need to play it?
Maybe he could just mention the size of the Piano.
Mentioning it had a 1:6 ratio would be adequate as that would equate to needing a foot high pianist to play it.

For those of you who can't see why she'd be interested:
It looks like maybe a 1:8 ratio. Requiring a 6' / 8 dude to play it. (9 inches)
Baalthazaq

Postby LSN » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Oohh, I get it now.

I got the comic's punchline without having heard the original joke before, so I had assumed he asked the genie for "a small pianist," which makes the girl's reaction very weird. Then I came here and read posts for a few minutes, let it sink in, then I finally understood that he did the opposite of what the guy in the original joke asked for.

I can't decide if it's funnier with or without further elaboration.....

Maybe he could have mentioned the size of the pianist who'd need to play it?
Maybe he could just mention the size of the Piano.
Mentioning it had a 1:6 ratio would be adequate as that would equate to needing a foot high pianist to play it.

I'd have gotten it sooner if one of the first two was done.

Also, yay for pianists!
LSN

Postby ysth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 am UTC

I sort of figured out what the joke must be, but in searching only found this one:

http://ysth.info/fortune/?opts=Offensive&search=pianist
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
ysth

Postby Ctta0s » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:38 am UTC

krynd wrote:Randall, I thought we all agreed long ago: we were all moving on as a society. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of penis jokes, particularly coming from a comic that was [once] known for witty humor centering around nerdy, or otherwise abnormal, ideas. Penis jokes are the jokes of frat boys and teenagers with their mind perpetually in the gutter, not of adults who should have the capability of determining when a joke isn't funny anymore.

EDIT: apologies to mature "frat boys". Unfortunately, you are too far and few between (thanks to movies like "Animal House" and "American Pie", which every 20-something male seems to adopt as a lifestyle instead of recognizing as a joke) for the reference not to apply. </rant>

Umm... wow. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I know educated and intelligent people (people well over 40, i.e. not frat boys) who find the 12-inch pianist joke hilarious. Just because there are penis jokes that are only funny because they are violating a taboo doesn't mean that all jokes about penises are inherently immature. Yes, there are immature penis jokes. Are all penis jokes immature? No. The 12-inch pianist tends to be one of the better ones (and I think the XKCD spin-off is a playful turn-around). Don't be so quick to condemn it.

EDIT: P.S. Maybe you've just grown up around people who tell tasteless penis jokes ad nauseam, but try not to let that prejudice you against all such jokes. ;)
Last edited by Ctta0s on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ctta0s

Postby RuBLed » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:38 am UTC

to settle it once and for all (not!)

He made a mini grand piano.
He asked the genie for (presumably 12-inch) pianist to play it.
Instead he got a 12-inch penis and made the girl very excited.

Alt-text - It's a good thing he didn't make the mini grand piano smaller or else he'd be wishing for a 3-inch pianist.
RuBLed

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Honestly, I liked this post.

Maybe more than some other ones.

Maybe even more than... yours?
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby suzi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 am UTC

Anyone else pronounce "pianist" so it doesn't sound like "penis" at all?
suzi

Postby MrsBseBall8 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:43 am UTC

It's not size that she's interested in, its how he uses it...

He asked for a pianist to play his miniature piano, instead he got a penis to play his miniature piano.

I can only assume.
MrsBseBall8

Postby aging.child » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Ctta0s wrote:
krynd wrote:Randall, I thought we all agreed long ago: we were all moving on as a society. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of penis jokes, particularly coming from a comic that was [once] known for witty humor centering around nerdy, or otherwise abnormal, ideas. Penis jokes are the jokes of frat boys and teenagers with their mind perpetually in the gutter, not of adults who should have the capability of determining when a joke isn't funny anymore.

Umm... wow. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I know educated and intelligent people (people well over 40, so not frat boys) who find the 12-inch pianist joke hilarious. Just because there are penis jokes that are only funny because they are violating a taboo doesn't mean that all jokes about penises are inherently immature. Yes, there are immature penis jokes. Are all penis jokes immature? No. The 12-inch pianist tends to be one of the better ones (and I think the XKCD spin-off is a playful turn-around). Don't be so quick to condemn it.

I agree. For the sort of people here, the humor comes from the bizarre wordplay and setup of the joke, not from the fact that the punchline has to do with a certain male body part. We are all mature enough to handle that. Except maybe that guy that writes in pink... but he doesn't count.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams
aging.child

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads