0533: "Laptop Hell"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ubik

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Ubik » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Clintonio wrote:"DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS" is origionated from 4Chan and the fact that people can post with the same name as any other user (providing they don't have a tripcode). It's not a Bash origionated quote.

Well, there was that earlier post that mentioned that the bash.org quote existed before 4chan, and evidence seems to support that. Wikipedia says 4chan was launched October 1, 2003 (link). The earliest version of the bash quote on Wayback machine is from January 4, 2003 (link).

Dr. Kilereren

Postby Dr. Kilereren » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Been there, done that, as far as alt-text goes.

And for those of you having trouble with copying the alt-text, right click the image and hit properties. The alt-text will be the last one in the window and you can copy/paste it easily. Should work for firefox, anyway.

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

linguistic wrote:
almightyze wrote:Then again, it's hard to tell if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Oh well. :P

That's generally what I shoot for. I find confusion delightful - outright trollbaiting or flaming just doesn't compare.

[...]

I've managed to not discuss anything actually on-topic out of 3 or so posts, while SUCKING COCKS

First: Yeah. When you intentionally trollbait or flamebait, it is like a firing a Fat Man in F3: If you aim it right, a nice glorious explosion occurs and you feel satisfied in causing some wanton destruction. Aim it wrong, and you get cut up good...if not blown to pieces, at least.

Second: That must be hard to do. Typing during fellatio...hmmmm.

Random832 wrote:Last time it was suggested, davean said that if someone writes it for him he'll consider putting it on the site... which kind of sucks because, you know, the scripts that would have to be modified haven't been released as open-source (or if they're using open-source stuff they haven't disclosed what it is)

So basically...it's a matter of principle that prevents this? (Since these things seem relatively basic to modify)
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

linguistic

Postby linguistic » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Random832 wrote:Last time it was suggested, davean said that if someone writes it for him he'll consider putting it on the site... which kind of sucks because, you know, the scripts that would have to be modified haven't been released as open-source (or if they're using open-source stuff they haven't disclosed what it is)

Nah, don't overthink it.

The forums are phpBB3 - just mod the forums.

Stick a script in that adds a button to the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" forum that creates a thread for a specified comic number (defaulting to the latest number).
If you click it and that thread exists, take to the user to the last post in that thread. If you click it and it doesn't exist, create it and open a reply, ready for them to post.

The only real difficulty is the fact that we have up to 500 odd threads created a bunch of different ways, so the thing wouldn't be able to work out what's already been posted with any reliability.

Sounds like a job for a lazy Sunday afternoon, but I don't have those any more.

Clintonio wrote:"DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS" is origionated from 4Chan and the fact that people can post with the same name as any other user (providing they don't have a tripcode). It's not a Bash origionated quote.

I always thought 4chan propagated memes more than created? But whatever - it's already been noted that the quote was present on bash.org before 4chan's existence so I guess that discussion is kinda moot.
Son of a bit!

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 am UTC

linguistic wrote:On meta-topic:
I'm surprised some enterprising jerk hasn't put together a script to repeatedly check for xkcd updates, then craft a perfectly formed thread about it and post.

All the user would have to do then is edit the post and add some commentary.

Y'know, since we're all so concerned about being the first and most legitimate to post a thread about the comic...

<-- Not enterprising. Possibly a jerk.

Possible. Would grabbing the html code for the site [easy] and parsing it. searching with regular expressions would work also (e.g

Code: Select all

grep -o http://xkcd.com/[0-9]*

could find the comic link and

Code: Select all

grep -o http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/.*.png

could find the image url.

posting would require sending an http post request

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 am UTC

I don't really see how this is funny. Basically the joke is in the last panel: "I'm the devil and we have a deal with sony." The first few panels are just him riding some laptop's cock. The alt text is great though.

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

Wow, I'm actually on a fujitsu laptop (using Vista :wink: ). Appearently, mine's a Lifebook A Series.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

So uh.. where was the joke in this?

sethstorm
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest that Forbes lists as highly vacant.

Postby sethstorm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:11 am UTC

gnufs wrote:Lenovo Thinkpad X200s (or X200 for a cheaper alternative) is the new Fujitsu Q2010...

Or an x61, lightly loaded. Thinkpads are one of the few laptops that are continually worth the massive prices they command.

I was half hoping the comic would apply to the IBM/Lenovo situation. When they removed Flexview(or the only way to get a 15" laptop to have a high-quality LCD and with high-performance graphics), they really, really screwed things up in ways that this comic approaches with the Q2010's departure.

What would be Hell for the folks who dropped those high-quality displays? They cannot live on W700ds sales alone, nor push us to netbooks and/or lesser Thinkpads.

For the record, I use one of the last IBM branded and non widescreen laptops, the T60p. If Colorware still offers it beyond my warranty's expiration date, it'll be turned piano black.

ajpikul

Postby ajpikul » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

"moot" is used incorrectly, both in this forum and in the comic.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:41 am UTC

ajpikul wrote:"moot" is used incorrectly, both in this forum and in the comic.

In American English, to say that a point of argument is "moot" means that arguing it is pointless or purely academic.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moot

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/moot%5B3%5D
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Whoa, that is pretty cool.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

tahrey wrote:I think the point of Satan being pissed at the Q line being dropped is that they COULD have made it with 2+Gb, an Atom and an SSD this time round if they'd kept the flame burning. The original one was probably at the pre-Air cutting edge of how much tech you could squeeze into a really small laptop (and therefore "the best in the world" if you needed something compact, light, and relatively capable with a long battery life to tote around), so fastforward to now, and it would be excellent. It's not that they NEEDED laptops, but they still do NEED them.

Yah ... well, for one the Atom is a slower CPU then the one already in the Q2010 ... a 3 year old CPU. I don't see why you'd do downgrade that; why lose battery life and performance? Upgrade it to a ULV Core 2 Duo and gain something instead. The RAM ... they should have stuck 2GBs in it back then, now I'd want 4GBs that was it's real embarrassment. As for the SSD, I upgraded mine to have an SSD already. Thats a simple improvement; in fact I'm about to stick a second SSD in it.

The Air has a lot of issues, mostly it just isn't a complete laptop. Never mind it is a brick compared to the Q2010; have you ever lifted up a Macbook Air? They must have made that thing out of lead ... or being Apple gold. Ether way I wouldn't call it an ultraportable.

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:46 am UTC

Has noone looked at this and asked "Welcome to Hell. Here's-" what??? Does noone else wonder what the Devil gives to people as they come in to Hell????
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

rektide

Postby rektide » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:32 am UTC

wow this thread is sin awful. :roll:

i remember a randall talk at mit where he props the fujitsu P16x0: a fantastic little hybrid tablet in 8.9". i myself still use a p1120: its basically the original netbook. 8.9" widescreen 1024x600, touchscreen, and i could get six hours of mp3 playing out of it back before the extended battery turned to mush.

fujitsu makes good gear: they never skimp on cpu, focus on extremely conservative energy consumption, the gear is always durable, and their designs are half a decade ahead of the curve. the p1xx0 series and u8x0 series are great bleeding edge examples.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”