0537: "Ducklings"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BwaHaHa

Re: "Ducklings" Discussion

Postby BwaHaHa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:54 am UTC

In the Aerial View, Charm has EYES! How cute is that?

Little cartoon duck eyes bring me far more joy than one would anticipate.
Now there are three of them.
There are three ____.

poirelli

Postby poirelli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:57 am UTC

dennisw wrote:There are six flavors of quacks: Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Strange, Charm

I see what you did there.... you!

rucksackjack

Postby rucksackjack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 am UTC

I'm a little slow, so could someone explain to me what the joke in this comic is?

Storm

Postby Storm » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:07 am UTC

For the last time the large duckling collider will not create a whole goose egg (actually the mass is exactly opposite a 'goose egg').

Okay so my black hole-LHC-aquatic bird related puns suck.

Edit: I do however approve of the ducklings new names!
Last edited by Storm on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

poirelli

Postby poirelli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:08 am UTC

rucksackjack wrote:I'm a little slow, so could someone explain to me what the joke in this comic is?

I think it has something to do with a bartender asking a genie for a million bucks.
Last edited by poirelli on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Handsome

Postby Handsome » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:10 am UTC

I'm pretty sure that Make Way for Ducklings would have been better if it were written like this.

Who wants to do this at the next visit to the Commons?
I eat yellow snow
Cones, that is. Not yellow snow
Well, not normally.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:17 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh, and @ dennisw:
Great idea, but how do you know which is which?
Also, that arrangement of quacks isn't possible, unless some of them are actually antiquacks.

I almost forgot to respond regarding your statement about the arrangement.

You've made a common error, confusing quacks with quarks. It's easily made because the sounds they make are so similar. I mean, really, you have to spend a lot of time listening intently to quarks before you can tell the difference.

Others that are easily confused: lepidoptera and leptons, because of the way they both fly around and vogons and bosons, obviously because of the similarity of their poetry.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention the well-known confusion regarding hadrons, what with all the bumping and the grinding.
Last edited by dennisw on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

random5

Postby random5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 am UTC

rucksackjack wrote:I'm a little slow, so could someone explain to me what the joke in this comic is?

That the ducklings will keep going in a circle, each following the othe duckling, kind of like a dog chasing it's tail but much much cuter.

It's rather mean to the mother duck though and if you tried it the ducklings would try to follow the sound of the mother's quacking.

ylde

Postby ylde » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 am UTC

Now all you need to do is tie buttered toast and a cat to opposite sides of each duck, and you have a heli-quacker!

treblemaker

Postby treblemaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Also, that arrangement of quacks isn't possible, unless some of them are actually antiquacks.

Ah, so *that's* what cancels the echo.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

-- T.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 am UTC

dennisw wrote:Others that are easily confused: lepidoptera and leptons, because of the way they both fly around and vogons and bosons, obviously because of the similarity of their poetry.
That's why we can't find the Higgs, it's been killed by it's major intestine which leapt up its throat and throttled its brain.

And what do quacks combine to create? I'd say they're subbracemic particles.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

prokrastinatorSF

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Ducklings follow in a row, so if we could make the first duckling follow the last duckling we'd get an endless loop of ducklings following each other. Obviously this would never work in practice; the absurdity of the situation in light of the fact that it proceeds from intuitive knowledge about the behaviour of ducks in lines creates the humour.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:15 am UTC

halcyon1234 wrote:I've heard the sound it makes: Quark, quark!
Sorry, but that's hilarious.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

shall_be_lifted

Postby shall_be_lifted » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 am UTC

The Large Duckling Collider just about made my day I think. Great stuff.

Popup

Postby Popup » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:47 am UTC

Patashu wrote:Ducklings follow in a row, so if we could make the first duckling follow the last duckling we'd get an endless loop of ducklings following each other. Obviously this would never work in practice; the absurdity of the situation in light of the fact that it proceeds from intuitive knowledge about the behaviour of ducks in lines creates the humour.
It's true that it wouldn't work with real ducks, but apparently it does work with certain caterpillars. Famous entomologist Jean Henri Fabre once lined up marching caterpillars along the rim of a flowerpot. He made sure that they completely filled the circumference, and let them march on. He left some food for them nearby, but they ignored it completely. They kept marching for seven days before finally dying of hunger, or diverting from the trail.

The full text to his The wonders of Instincs is available on-line. (There's also a copy at project gutenberg, but not with as neat layout.) The relevant part is in chapter 8.

Sir Cannon Fodder

Postby Sir Cannon Fodder » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:But what was the point?

Yeah, it seems rather like a joke without a punchline. So they made some ducks walk in a circle, so what? Is "duckloop" a pun or play on words of some sort that refers to some obscure programming/maths/physics term, or is the "ducks walk in a circle" thing the whole joke? Also, don't say that it's a play on "duckroll", since that just doesn't make any sense in this context, unless you want to take it as the ducks being part of a wheel instead of wheels being part of a duck, which is just weak.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 am UTC

You can do something like this with ants fairly easily too, in fact they sometimes even get themselves stuck in one for a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fFgHUL8Oiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFzRjQCj1iI

Adhemar

Postby Adhemar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:19 am UTC

Every now and then, an army ant colony does this by itself.

Ants have this self-organisation rule, saying they should follow a trail that has been marked as a trail to food, or else follow the ant in front of them. In absence of food, this can lead to ants marching in a long line. Occasionally, this might lead to a circular ant mill: an ant death spiral. They will continue to circle each other until they all die.

In 1921, William Beebe described a circular mill he witnessed in Guyana. It measured 370 meter (1200 feet) in circumference and it took the ants 2.5 hour for one iteration of the loop. The ant wheel persisted for two days, “with ever increasing numbers of dead bodies littering the route as exhaustion took its toll, but eventually a few workers straggled from the trail thus breaking the cycle, and the raid marched off into the forest.”

[edit]Apparently, Soralin beat me on this[/edit]

ftr

Postby ftr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 am UTC

You should know better than to pick up a duck in a dungeon! Lose 2 levels!

(Kudos to anyone who gets it)

Zeroth

Postby Zeroth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:34 am UTC

_o- _o- _o- _o- _O- quack

ftr

Postby ftr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Zeroth wrote:_o- _o- _o- _o- _O- quack

That is singly the most awesome thing I've seen all day.

GhostNULL

Postby GhostNULL » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 am UTC

SW15243 wrote:
demadaha wrote:
Kain wrote:I don't mean to nit-pick, but from my experience with ducks, the mother duck would have attacked, rather than run away. Nasty, evil creatures.
(I am probably the only person who shuddered when reading today's comic, ¡This cheese is burning me!: Bad experiences with some ducks when I was a toddler.)

Mama duck would have attacked had the only thing he did to intimidate her been the "ROAR!"; the added "BOO!" caused mama duck to be frightened enough to retreat.

Also, I completely support the idea of a a large duckling collider. People should get to working on that immediately, FOR SCIENCE!

You can't do that: Half the people in the world would try to stop you, because they're worried it would create a giant swan that would devour the universe

Swans don't devour universes, they weave universes.

petmar

Postby petmar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:44 am UTC

So two things: number one, would the duckling in position 1, the one right after the mother duck, make the transition from mommy duck-butt to position-N duckling-butt? And the other is like it: aren't duckling rings quantized according to circular harmonics? Each duckling is an anti-node of ducklingness, so it stands to reason that we'd get a Bohr-like model of the system, such that the ground state allows N-many ducklings. As they get more and more excited, the spacing goes up, and they create a higher energy level. My first approximation of r_{duckling} for N=6 is on the order of .15 m. Can we get any experimentalists out there to try to confirm this?

binomine

Postby binomine » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Disturbing ducks is illegal and can result in a $500 fine. When you bother ducks enough, they'll leave and won't return to that place for years. Not illegal to shoot them, though. Just as long as your don't disturb them.

el_grimley

Postby el_grimley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 am UTC

dennisw wrote:Image
There are six flavors of quacks: Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Strange, Charm

This is brilliant. So is the original strip. Both had me laughing like a loon.

G

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:28 am UTC

Kind of reminds me of playing Zelda. Frick, I haven't played any in months. >:

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

Perpetual duck motion? Holy crap, Randall just discovered a new energy source!
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

JurPic

Postby JurPic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

For some inexplicable reason I found this comic incredibly funny. :lol:

Bosonator

Postby Bosonator » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

Kain wrote:I don't mean to nit-pick, but from my experience with ducks, the mother duck would have attacked, rather than run away. Nasty, evil creatures.

You say, "Nasty, evil creatures", but you were the one going after her ducklings!
God I can handle... it's His fan club that scares me.

Jono4174

Postby Jono4174 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

There is an article in the January 29 newspaper that deals with exactly this effect.

It concerns a cassowary (a cousin of emus and ostriches) being helped by a chicken

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 95,00.html

(NB news.com.au is the same News Limited that owns Fox)
Attachments
featheredfriends.jpg
featheredfriends.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 8082 times

almightyze

Postby almightyze » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

I don't think this even works. Ducks aren't that stupid. It would make more sense if it were geese involved (I mean, fuck, they love jet engines and standing in the middle of the road).

Plus, kinda mean. :x
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

quade

Postby quade » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

almightyze wrote:I don't think this even works. Ducks aren't that stupid. It would make more sense if it were geese involved (I mean, fuck, they love jet engines and standing in the middle of the road).

Plus, kinda mean. :x

Hey, any bird that's not a human deserves what they get.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

(I am probably the only person who shuddered when reading today's comic, ¡This cheese is burning me!: Bad experiences with some ducks when I was a toddler.)

And from my experience with ducks, the ducklings would have strokes and arrhythmia and only a handful of them would survive the process. Ducklings have paper hearts.

ChamaeleonSky

Postby ChamaeleonSky » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I think rather than turning around because it was scared, the mama duckling turned around because she didn't want her ducklings exposed to the likes of a man that randomly screams roar and boo. crazy humans.

pminva

Postby pminva » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

To be Ducklooped aka Duckloop'd is to have your points turned on themselves.

An example is in http://dragonandtiger.blogspot.com/

Just search for "duck"

The Mad Duckster

Susy

Postby Susy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Totally agree, at least in my contry you cannot simple grab a duck...man they can bite!!!!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

binomine wrote:Disturbing ducks is illegal and can result in a $500 fine. When you bother ducks enough, they'll leave and won't return to that place for years. Not illegal to shoot them, though. Just as long as your don't disturb them.

What's the reason for this? It's not like they're an endangered species.

kvn

Postby kvn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

He took a duck in the face at two hundred fifty knots.

morvita

Postby morvita » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

Handsome wrote:I'm pretty sure that Make Way for Ducklings would have been better if it were written like this.

Who wants to do this at the next visit to the Commons?

My first thought when reading this comic was Make Way for Ducklings too. Excellent book and I think that it would be fun to try next time I'm in Boston, which sadly will probably be many years.

The idea of a duckloop make me giggle uncontrollably first thing in the morning. Thank you Randall for making my morning a brighter place.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. - Futurama 4x08 Godfellas

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”