0540: "Base System"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xkcdpasta

Re: "Base System" discussion

Postby xkcdpasta » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

I think the confusion about the orgasm line is that people are thinking it applies to girls. I feel Randall is trying to hint that he has a problem swinging too early, so to speak (cf. Jason Biggs in the first slice of American Pie). If we take this to be the case then it would explain its distance from the virginity line, which is properly placed not far from the home plate (Does this make the home plate a post-coital cigarette/glow? I think it must, for if one is interrupted mid-game then this surely counts as out).

Also to anyone bemoaning the lack of an All your base... ref. I think that the Your Base next to the plate might well belong to us.

Open-collar: For a full and frank dissection of cricketing innuendo check out the NSFW http://www.leggyblondecricketfans.co.uk. They even have a clothing range which has plenty of puns.

cyborg_572

Postby cyborg_572 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

With all the confusion and controversy about what act goes where, how'd Randall come up with a definitive list? In other words, what's this based on?

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Lenary wrote:what i was going to say:
can anyone explain how the "virginity" maginot line can cross the orgasm line?

Masturbation. Next question?
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

ironypoisoning wrote:
Lenary wrote:what i was going to say:
can anyone explain how the "virginity" maginot line can cross the orgasm line?

Masturbation. Next question?

Okay, what about the spot just NE of Thigh Contact?

EDIT: in other words:

Code: Select all

Masturbation  Failure
Sexx          ????

TheTenthRegime

Postby TheTenthRegime » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

So if I'm interpreting the diagram correctly, then Napoleon's forces all had am orgasm when crossing the Maginot line? Playing baseball. Or during a mass orgy. Well, this diagram is awfully ambiguous. It need footnotes..

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

cyborg_572 wrote:With all the confusion and controversy about what act goes where, how'd Randall come up with a definitive list? In other words, what's this based on?

Lots and lots of excruciating, personal research.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:Lots and lots of sexcruciating, personal research.

Fix'd.

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
cyborg_572 wrote:With all the confusion and controversy about what act goes where, how'd Randall come up with a definitive list? In other words, what's this based on?

Lots and lots of excruciating, personal research.

He's such a hardworking young man, you know. But if he'd simply asked, I would've been glad to put on my sexy librarian glasses and give him a helping hand (or two). I was quite the scholar in my day, you know. *eyelashes flutter*
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:
ThemePark wrote:Lots and lots of sexcruciating, personal research.

Fix'd.

In a ball pit.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

slancky

Postby slancky » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:17 am UTC

That question debases the both of us

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:44 am UTC

open-collar wrote:Being English the finer points of Baseball pass me by, but I realised there is a thick vein (fnar!) of innuendo in cricketing positions: Fine Leg, Long Leg, Deep Forward, Leg Gully, Fly Slip... the list is endless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fielding_(cricket)#Fielding_position_names_and_locations
Not to mention bowling a maiden over...

phantom16

Postby phantom16 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Haha, i've always loved the comics like this.

Reminds me of the wave lengths one a while back with all the different electromagnetic waves.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

I don't enjoy the fact that oral and anal sex are on the virgin side of the virginity line. I disagree greatly with that placement.

glaEs

Postby glaEs » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

branan wrote:
Kal wrote:How come "dry humping" is past the orgasm line? I thought dry humping was supposed to be, uhm.. dry. At least in my case, that means it would have to be quite a bit away from the orgasm line.

The proper application of force at the proper angles, even through several layers of fabric, can be quite stimulating.

Also, I think "dry" means there's no mixing of fluids, not that there aren't any excretions secretions from either partner.

Fix't

The former is a whole new ball game altogether.

Or hanging in the left outfield.

cyborg_572

Postby cyborg_572 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:I don't enjoy the fact that oral and anal sex are on the virgin side of the virginity line. I disagree greatly with that placement.

That's where they go, according to the strictest dictionary definition of "virgin".

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 am UTC

cyborg_572 wrote:
Faranya wrote:I don't enjoy the fact that oral and anal sex are on the virgin side of the virginity line. I disagree greatly with that placement.

That's where they go, according to the strictest dictionary definition of "virgin".

It seems a little silly to use a definition that means one can only lose one's virginity through heterosexual sex.

Then again, I like the idea of explaining to the religious right that they can go home and relax because all dem sinful gays they've been freaking out about are in fact virgins. :mrgreen:
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

That_Guy_Called_David

Postby That_Guy_Called_David » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 am UTC

Thanks to this cartoon I finally understand baseball.

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

That_Guy_Called_David wrote:Thanks to this cartoon I finally understand baseball.

wait... how? i don't.

also, on an almost unrelated topic, where does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73Qf81ZBtg come in the whole base discussion. i reckon you probably get the epic catch just before first base...
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

That_Guy_Called_David

Postby That_Guy_Called_David » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Lenary wrote:
That_Guy_Called_David wrote:Thanks to this cartoon I finally understand baseball.

wait... how? i don't.

also, on an almost unrelated topic, where does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l73Qf81ZBtg come in the whole base discussion. i reckon you probably get the epic catch just before first base...

That was my rather poor early morning attempt at deadpan humour. The only thing I understand about Baseball is that the American teams are pretty good at it, seeing how all the teams that have won the World Series have come from America

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

That_Guy_Called_David wrote:The only thing I understand about Baseball is that the American teams are pretty good at it, seeing how all the teams that have won the World Series have come from America

Lol...
The "World Series" is actually a terrible name for a tournament with two leagues, both American (and one or two Canadian teams)

JC1

Postby JC1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote: "World Series" is actually a terrible name for a tournament with two leagues, both American (and one or two Canadian teams)

So far,
The best Japanese and Carribean/SAmerican players come here, and our (NAmeri) players "rehab" there -
That could change.
What do foreigners' less-than global tournaments use for superlative titles?
GENERATION 6.1E+9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-PwUpw_5A

bruhinb

Postby bruhinb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Angrist wrote:Imagine the way the conversation would go:

Person 1: What base did you get to?
Person 2: I don't know.
Both: THIRD BASE!

Made of win!

irishnut

Postby irishnut » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:The "World Series" is actually a terrible name for a tournament with two leagues, both American (and one or two Canadian teams)

only one canadian team for the record...

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

irishnut wrote:
Actaeus wrote:The "World Series" is actually a terrible name for a tournament with two leagues, both American (and one or two Canadian teams)

Thanks for the clarification. I could only remember one, but wanted to hedge my bets.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

theotherjimmy wrote:
Actaeus wrote:
Kadzar wrote: Well, maybe these terms work better for people who are into baseball. What we need is a more nerd-friendly metaphor.

Bases again.
"Did you get to dozenal?"
"Nah, only decimal again. Still, beats the month it took to convince her to go past trinary."

but you see, the diagram is two dimensional, and includes a 'move past go and do not collect 200 dollars' function. modeling this appropriately in one dimension is just wrong. sadly, I am having trouble thinking of an appropriate medium.

because I can't seem to think of anything, I will accept your bases. (I am now insecure... am I rely a nerd? :shock: )
What about Super Mario Land?
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Filius Nullius

Postby Filius Nullius » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Whats with Randall (AKA Mr. Munroe) and Janeane Garofalo, this is the second time or third time I've seen that name since I've been reading the comic..
although the only specific other case that I can confirm right now, is that her name appears in the "Ball Pit Rules"

http://imgs.xkcd.com/blag/ball_pit_rules_400.jpg

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

JC1 wrote:What do foreigners' less-than global tournaments use for superlative titles?
Country/National/Continental Tournament/Series/Competition/Cup?

Though for the AFL (Australian Football League), we could probably get away with calling it the Aussie Rules World Series. Outdoing even America, there are no international teams and 10 of the 16 (soon to be 17) teams are all from one state, Victoria. And some of those in other states began in Victoria too.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Filius Nullius wrote:Whats with Randall (AKA Mr. Munroe) and Janeane Garofalo, this is the second time or third time I've seen that name since I've been reading the comic..
although the only specific other case that I can confirm right now, is that her name appears in the "Ball Pit Rules"

Here's one.

Some of our knees would buckle were we to receive said eye contact.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum

JC1

Postby JC1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
Filius Nullius wrote:Whats with Randall (AKA Mr. Munroe) and Janeane Garofalo, this is the second time or third time I've seen that name since I've been reading the comic..

Here's one.

Some of our knees would buckle were we to receive said eye contact.

As for me, both of 'em.
You see, Filius, she was quite cute about 10 years and 30 lbs ago -
And being an irreverent, severe smartass, that made her a nerd goddess.
Image Image Image Image
She's since aquired boring-cynicism, actual-politics, and an eating disorder.
But, I suppose you'd prefer Uma?
GENERATION 6.1E+9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-PwUpw_5A

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Kadzar wrote:
Platypodes wrote:Great comic!

Whenever I hear about the "bases," it reminds me of how John Gray, the Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus guy, did a detailed analysis of this system that was so incredibly serious that it amused me to no end... I think the discussion on this forum pretty well discredits the notion that these terms are useful to "facilitate clear communication with a man about sex. :¡This cheese is burning me!:
Well, maybe these terms work better for people who are into baseball. What we need is a more nerd-friendly metaphor.

what about:

"Frenching leads to fondling;
fondling leads to fingering;
fingering leads to to fucking;
and fucking, fucking leads to child!"

though that's more reference than metaphor...

What about planets?
Pluto is meeting someone; Neptune is asking someone out; Uranus is first date; Saturn is kissing; Jupiter is fondling; Mars is sleeping together (literally); Earth is oral; Venus is fingering; Mercury is fucking. The sun is marriage, for obvious reasons which unfortunately defy the reason that I choose the direction...

vwspeedracer

Postby vwspeedracer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Leonsbuddydave wrote:In other news, I'm all for a poster of this. :D

THIS

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:32 am UTC

I'd much rather have a t-shirt. Though I think I'd have to get a new one for each ballpark.... using it as a score card is just too good an idea to pass up...

also, as to questions as to what retrograde wheelbarrow is...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... heelbarrow

As true as the first one is, the second definition is just priceless...

but come to think of it, the poster could hold a record of "Teams who have played here"

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:21 am UTC

Korbl wrote:"Frenching leads to fondling;...

Puts me in mind of "Portions for Foxes" by Rilo Kiley.

Korbl wrote:Uranus is first date;

Not on any first date I've been on.

e pluribus unum

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:38 am UTC

I thought about going the other direction so I could make the obvious Uranus joke, but I had an actual logical reason for the direction I went (things get hotter the closer you get to the sun, until of course you get to the sun and fry to a crisp on the altar.) and thought that better than a single joke...

skylros

Postby skylros » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

I like this comic, is rather funny. I also love the "appropriate" binary translation :)

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:
irishnut wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I could only remember one, but wanted to hedge my bets.

There used to be two...

golemB

Postby golemB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:The binary reads, appropriately, "base 2"

The funny thing is, if you search Google for the base-10 representation as a single string ("6261 7365 2032"), you get exactly one search result: a list of "The 12000 Most Popular Web Sites" - and xkcd.com is listed on there at #1053. If you search the document there, the string does not appear, but each of the individual numbers does (since they're each numbers less than 12,000).

That is a truly odd result - a seemingly unrelated, unplanned effect in which there is exactly one Google match that is presumably unplanned by Randall. Stranger still, I can't understand why Google set this as the one and only valid match; if you remove the quotes from the search, you get tons of results (as expected), yet the full string does not really appear within the matching document.

Hmmm. It does seem to show up within the "indexing" box of Scribd at the bottom right of the web page, but I do not understand what that is or how it works. Anybody got a clue?

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:21 am UTC

golemB wrote:
for the base-10 representation as a single string ("6261 7365 2032"),
My Google-fu is weak, what did that mean?
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:
golemB wrote:

It's the hexadecimal representation of the ASCII characters of the string "base 2".
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Luthen wrote:
golemB wrote:

It's the hexadecimal representation of the ASCII characters of the string "base 2".

No it isn't, it's decimal.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”