0541: "TED Talk"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JC1

Re: "TED Talk" Discussion

Postby JC1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

Monika wrote:I think using -- is a reasonable solution whereever dashes are not easily available. I am certainly not going to drag out the charachter map to create a dash on a forum or e-mail.

So, only for submitted professional papers, published in professional periodicals? And The Novel?
I run charmap several times, almost everyday. For nearly no reason at all. Is is a pretty short drag - especially compared to, like, an actual application. Or a search engine. Or a tag list.
(Why are standard unicode fonts full of Arabic and Hebrew? x)
(Emdash can bite me =) (Endash IS a hyphen) (A hyphen IS a dash) (A pair of 'em is Very Handy to use with people who don't know what to do when handed a semicolon)
GENERATION 6.1E+9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-PwUpw_5A

JC1

Postby JC1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

sadleric wrote:When I write casual forum posts, instant messages, and most emails, I try to keep my diction consistent with informal register. As such, I keep in mind the most important element of casual writing: quick readability. Smiley faces in my writing is used as the result of an aside or inside joke, so I think they are naturally indicative of a tangent or unimportant thought. Hell, how many IRC / IM users observe formal punctuation? The smiley faces seem to be a form of punctuation in and of itself -- a means of giving the tone of a response without face-to-face contact.

So ...
When is Randall gonna implement the YouTube comment audio thingy?
GENERATION 6.1E+9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-PwUpw_5A

AdamC

Postby AdamC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Clearly, you should use eyes of the Basilisk in your smiley: then no-one will be able to read further or notice the parentheses problem

intellectualanxiety

Postby intellectualanxiety » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Okay, so here is the solution I propose to the parenthesis issue. Just use different shapes. For example
(I luv that :] ) Looks less weird

[Oh yeah ; ) ] Once again, a clear definition of emoticoness

or even

{he said what X( } See, far more distinction.

I hope this aids someone

nobodymk2

Postby nobodymk2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by nobodymk2 on Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Platypodes wrote:Let me see if I'm following this about the period... -snip-

That is, you read the nonparenthetical statement by dropping the parentheses and whatever is between them, which in this case leaves you with,
I have to go in to work over the weekend, yay.
I don't see why this would be any different with emoticons than with words.

Because emoticons due work differently than words.

You normally put them after regular punctuation, do you not? 8) I've never seen anyone write it this way :P.

Alright, I give up, obviously my solution was to revolutionary and the world is net yet ready. Kind of like calendar reform.

branan

Postby branan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:You normally put them after regular punctuation, do you not? 8) I've never seen anyone write it this way :P.

I do it like that. The emoticon is tied to the sentence before it, and deserves to come before the period.
joshz wrote:So, therefore, by transitive property, AIDS is responsible for racism!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

branan wrote:
ManaUser wrote:You normally put them after regular punctuation, do you not? 8) I've never seen anyone write it this way :P.

I do it like that. The emoticon is tied to the sentence before it, and deserves to come before the period.

I believe the after-punctuation usage came from emoticons originally usually being attached to a one-liner, so it could safely be put at the end of the paragraph rather than having to be enclosed in sentence punctuation.

FibonacciPrower

Postby FibonacciPrower » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

Is it because of your fear of raptors that you're banned from every furry con in the US?

Also, I usually go with the second solution.

Jaden_Yote

Postby Jaden_Yote » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Being a comp sci student, this is quite relevant to me. I can't remember how many times I've racked my brain over this one. :lol: I guess it's just up to the person, but I usually do this: (some such and the other :) ). I know the space looks ugly to some, but that's my preference. I know someone mention earlier that Mr. Munroe had a knack for putting into words or drawing the odd things we come across in our thought lives. How true. Clever comic!

Kitsusyn wrote:Back in 2007 furry-bashing would have been considered relevant, but you are late to the party in mocking us. Not fashionably late either. ¬_¬

Sorry, but I can't help but comment. You're an idiot. Mr. Munroe is hardly bashing or mocking furries. He's usually quite kind to them. If anything, it more of a shot at himself because I can hardly imagine what you'd have to do to get banned from a furry convention. It's funny. Stop being a defensive, over-sensitive adolescent and get over yourself.

Celtic Minstrel

Postby Celtic Minstrel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 am UTC

abstractpotato wrote:But the fact is alternation wouldn't work with the html:

Code: Select all

title='The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of 'planet' to include the IAU president's mom" incident.'

would get read by the browser as

title='The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of '
Yes, it will work:

title='The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of 'planet' to include the IAU president's mom" incident'
title="The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of 'planet' to include the IAU president's mom" incident"

Take your pick. Though I suspect the first version may only work in XHTML, not HTML.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Jaden_Yote wrote:Mr. Munroe is hardly bashing or mocking furries.

True, Mr Munroe is not.

Jaden_Yote wrote:Stop being a defensive, over-sensitive adolescent and get over yourself.

The statement doesn't apply to everyone here though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Celtic Minstrel wrote:

title='The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of 'planet' to include the IAU president's mom" incident'
title="The IAU ban came after the "redefinition of 'planet' to include the IAU president's mom" incident"
Take your pick. Though I suspect the first version may only work in XHTML, not HTML.
Use '.

Jaden_Yote

Postby Jaden_Yote » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Jaden_Yote wrote:Stop being a defensive, over-sensitive adolescent and get over yourself.

The statement doesn't apply to everyone here though.

Oh, of course not. I was directly aiming at Kitsusyn with that statement.

Jeremy22

Postby Jeremy22 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Hi,

I just saw this comic, and really, it's about a problem that bugged me for quite a while now :) I personally use the first variant shown in the comic (like this :) , but I agree, it's not perfect...

Very nice idea for a TED-speech, indeed ;)

dudestfu419

Postby dudestfu419 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:35 am UTC

you could always try the following:

...Linux (or BSD (: ) would....

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 am UTC

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

chrisj

Postby chrisj » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

Funny he should say that...

http://www.tallyroad.com/rk/roadkitties-23.html

(please do not attempt to read the main Tally Road comic unless you're OK with it being an adult furry comic- but the side-comic 'Road Kitties' (which runs during con-going) has a 'xkcd guest art' running gag that is sometimes worthy of the name)

As for the subject at hand, I offer my solution (which is a solution of obfuscation (i.e. contriving to smiley thus::)))

Why yes, I earn my living in part through C programming- why do you ask?

Latro

Postby Latro » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Hopefully no one has already said this, but I vote for Lojban's solution:
to .ui toi
is roughly equivalent to ( :) )
to zo'o toi
is roughly equivalent to ( ;) )
etc.

Also sorry @ necro.

Peahen

Re: 0541: "TED Talk"

Postby Peahen » Wed May 09, 2012 4:54 am UTC

This seems relatively obvious to me, so I am sure that it has already been mentioned, but the way I solve this problem is to use brackets to enclose the comment and emoticon. Sometimes I use a space between the emoticon and the end bracket, and sometimes I don't. I typically do not use the space, because it is visually displeasing to me.

Example (with space): You know that birds are beautiful [as you clearly stated in your last paragraph ;)].

OR (without space): You know that birds are beautiful [as you clearly stated in your last paragraph ;) ].

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0541: "TED Talk"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm UTC

I hate it when I need to make mathematical expression using LaTeX and the number 8 just happens to be adjacent to a bracket, making unintentional smiley.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”