0240: "Dream Girl"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ikefalcon

Postby ikefalcon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:33 am UTC

The date is near my birthday as well (September 29th).

And I also got rejected from MIT.

Sinisterff

Postby Sinisterff » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 am UTC

bburky wrote:On a side note, how many xkcd reader's birthdays are within two days of the 23rd now? Four? Insane.

Actuallly My birthdate is also on that month, 26th (Just 3 days away!, i'm turning 18 yay), but i don't think i can make it, unless something REALLY REALLY wierd happens that day :P

parkerhiggins

Postby parkerhiggins » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:58 am UTC

I just wanted to register because I saw everybody else doing it, and I read through the whole thread.

Incidentally, anyone considering driving (or taking a bus) from the NYC area? I intend to, and wouldn't mind the company.

Also, I'm a serial killer.

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:06 am UTC

Just for all those interested, a meetup thread has been created, in the interest of keeping the information all in one spot. :)

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:46 am UTC

I've had several dreams come true, but without fail, the ones that contain the most detail are the ones that I most want to happen. Not one of these has come true.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:52 am UTC

parkerhiggins wrote:Also, I'm a serial killer.

You'll fit in.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Hi I regularly read the comic and also decided to register because that seems to be popular right now. I've had worse timing.

I'd totally be there if I didn't live on the other side of the country. Alas MIT rejected me as well 2 years back.

And I've had daydreams that I certainly hope will come true :?

starkruzr

Postby starkruzr » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Sorry to the MIT rejectees.

I too loved this comic. The interesting thing is that when I was maybe 11 or so I had a dream about a falling star who turned out to be the girl I would love for the rest of my life. I remember finding her (she had beautiful, shimmering black hair) and running with her away to a tower where we would be safe from the people who were chasing us, and not much else.

Then, last week, I heard about Stardust.

I'm 27.

Also, Randall, if you don't write a book it will be a grave injustice to the world of literature.
+++ATH0

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am UTC

well, if i have the money i'd love to join in the geek-conspiracy massiv. I'll be a couple states closer to the destination by then, but we'll see, around school and all.

EOTistatron

Postby EOTistatron » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:07 am UTC

... The dreams where I feel are always the most interesting, or at least have the most lasting impression. Physical sensations are not too uncommon, but emotions are always... well, be that what it may.

The strip is rather depressing, I think. The futurtivity ( :P ) of the date gives one hope, but still. :cry: Oh well; glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:42 am UTC

EOTistatron wrote:The strip is rather depressing, I think. The futurtivity ( :P ) of the date gives one hope, but still. :cry: Oh well; glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It is depressing, but I think it's so much better for it. I've always found true and tragic stories to be much more satisfying than false and happy. Maybe it's just me but with sad endings I feel as if I've come away with something and I've been a part of the story, but happy endings don't need me once I've closed the book/left the theater etc. Isn't art supposed to be about the human condition, and isn't the human condition tragic? All the better, I guess, to help us recognize and truly appreciate good in our own lives.

Maybe when people meet up at the revolution site, some dreams will come true :) . So perhaps there is hope after all.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I've come to the conclusion that this comic is a damn good piece of art. All of this intelligent, emotional discussion brought to you by complete strangers, over a picture so small and relatively simple, yet so very cryptic.

Good show, Mr. Munroe. Good show indeed.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Roffle

Postby Roffle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:12 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I've come to the conclusion that this comic is a damn good piece of art. All of this intelligent, emotional discussion brought to you by complete strangers, over a picture so small and relatively simple, yet so very cryptic.

Good show, Mr. Munroe. Good show indeed.

QFT

And also, I think that that time and place in reality is the site of a fourth-dimentional warp matrise parralax convergenge, which will send every Xkcd'er into an alternate dimension, like in that Donnie Darko movie, and we'll have to save the universe! Who will prevail?
"Error juris semper nocet"

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:21 am UTC

Ren wrote:
Pau! wrote:For the Southern Ontario carpool: I would definitely be willing to pay someone to pick me up if they are passing by the Ottawa area.

I think I would like to be a part of this :)

Vandole wrote:
Ren wrote:People in Southern Ontario should arrange a car pool. It would be sweet.

That's an awesome idea. I would be so in for that, if it didn't scare the shit out of my parents for internet people to randomly abduct me.

teakkettle wrote:Another vote for the Southern Ontario car/bus/van pool!

Awesome. At this rate we'll be renting a bus for certain.

bburky wrote:Like most everyone else I immediately typed the coordinates into Google Earth. I'm surprised though that I didn't notice the autumn equinox part though, my birthday is the day before and is often on the equinox (it switches back and forth between the 22 and 23). I seriously doubt I'd be able to come though.

On a side note, how many xkcd reader's birthdays are within two days of the 23rd now? Four? Insane.

We share a birthday! Awesome!
It's nuts, eh? I'm always a little confused as to what season my birthday is in. (P.S. Sometimes it's also the 21st.)

*kicks you all here*. I knew there were a bunch.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Captain Red

Postby Captain Red » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 am UTC

Pau! wrote:After reading this comic, I just sat here with my jaw slightly unhinged. There's no reason to expect anything to happen, of course, but I like to think I'm not alone in hoping to one day find that portal to another dimension behind the old door or underneath that odd-looking rock. It's so... heartbreakingly sad, and that in itself is beautiful. With stick figures, no less!

Thanks for reminding me of "Don't Let's Start". :¬)

(Lyrics for the uninitiated)

rurouniyuudai85 wrote:
Captain Red wrote:The world can end in many ways, and more than once.

Language is an imperfect thing, and in its imperfection, beautiful.

I agree about language, but how does that pertain to my story? And what do you mean about the world ending many ways and more than once? Are you referring to the concept of parallel universes?

I'll draw an example from one of the few good parts of Reign.

When you make cloth, many threads are woven together. After the cloth is made, the individual threads "disappear", but they still exist, as part of something new.

Wheat is destroyed to make bread. Barley is destroyed to make beer.

And applying this out to worlds' endings: the world of your childhood is destroyed in the process of your maturation, the world of your single life is destroyed by marriage. The world of the Romans was destroyed with Rome's fall.

The world ends, and the world goes on existing, in new and different ways.

Derjaak wrote:xkcd never ceases to amaze me. How many other webcomics have fans that arrange meetings around offhand references in single strips?

That said, this seems really interesting, and I'd come if I had the money. The fact that there was a correction shows that the coordinates mean SOMETHING, I just don't know what. I'll be there in spirit, and would like to see stories after the event.

Well, if it didn't mean anything before, it surely does now.

Solt wrote:
EOTistatron wrote:The strip is rather depressing, I think. The futurtivity ( :P ) of the date gives one hope, but still. :cry: Oh well; glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It is depressing, but I think it's so much better for it. I've always found true and tragic stories to be much more satisfying than false and happy. Maybe it's just me but with sad endings I feel as if I've come away with something and I've been a part of the story, but happy endings don't need me once I've closed the book/left the theater etc. Isn't art supposed to be about the human condition, and isn't the human condition tragic? All the better, I guess, to help us recognize and truly appreciate good in our own lives.

Maybe when people meet up at the revolution site, some dreams will come true :) . So perhaps there is hope after all.

Yeah, everybody might die frustrated and sad (and that is beautiful), but the sum total of the human condition isn't tragedy. Music, literature, puppies, and the Marx Brothers are among my arguments.

Bigspring

Postby Bigspring » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 am UTC

There's a possibility that no one's brought up yet. What if this is just an elaborate booty call, scheduled far into the future? I mean seriously, with this in the works, could you blame him? Plus: plausible deniability.

You sir, Randall, truly are my idol.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:56 am UTC

I know people from Corvallis! Well originally they're from Lake Oswego but a few of them went to school out in Corvallis
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

patrace

Postby patrace » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

It's 4am here and I just woke up thinking about this comic again. I don't know much about Randall's personal life but is it possible this is a wedding date? Probably not, just a bunch of picnicking comic fans searching for truth and spinach dip.

Bystander1: What are all those weird people doing milling around in the park?

Bystander2: I don't know but they're scaring the children and hogging the swings.

Bystander1: Should we call the cops?

Bystander2: No.. it looks like that pack of velociraptors is gong to take them out.

Velociraptor General: Tonight we dine on stick figures and sarcasm!

.... Of course it could just be a sneaky trick to get all of us in one place.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:The reality of the final panel is too depressing to face, so we focus on what we know: numbers.

Sigged.

unithom wrote:BUT IS THAT EASTERN OR GMT!? ARGH...

First one, then t'other.

/futurama ref

reva wrote:I had a similar dream once... almost. I didn't remember much of the "plotline" to it. Just that I was looking, searching for something... and in the end, i found "it". It was a giant screen blinking "6612" Now I'm just waiting to see what will happen on June 6, 2012. I was, however, not quite so lucky as to get a set of coordinates.

Catastrophic Extinction event. It seems a fairly logical date for it to happen.

And my candidate for, "most xkcd thing" is...

Belial wrote:Just get in a barrel and start paddling

Phy wrote:I had a dream once where Ozzy Osbourne told me my guitar work was good and to keep at it.

I've never played the guitar. I always wondered if he meant for me to start.

Yes. Or maybe, drugged out of his head, he got the wrong person?

THe only way I could possibly, possibly attend is by making it my christmas present. Tell me, fora, is it worth it?

Whether I've seen the other thread or not (I've not), this should be an annual meetup.
Last edited by LE4dGOLEM on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Kaldric

Postby Kaldric » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

Another first time poster here, and with a close birthday (24th). This makes me wish I lived closer so I could be there. I could drive, but it is about 2,397 mi (about 1 day 12 hours), according to Google maps.

I knew I should have gone to MIT.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

Just noticed. 1,109 mi (about 18 hours 0 mins) from The Delta Hub at Atlanta D:
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

starkruzr wrote:Sorry to the MIT rejectees.

Huh? Did you get in or something?
Tell us your secret! How did you do it!

Kaldric wrote:I knew I should have gone to MIT.

Are you saying you got in and decided not to go? Strange choice.

Zach

Postby Zach » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

I had a dream last night that my grandfather was holding my grandmother's face near the ground and was screaming at her for something. It reminded me of what people do to dogs that defecate in the house. I went outside and said "What the fuck is going on?" My grandfather looked sheepish and said "nevermind." He then got in the car, and told my grandmother to get in too. Somehow, my brother ended up in the back seat. I said, "Never fucking mind your 'nevermind,' what the hell is happening?" He flew into a rage and I tried to stop him from driving away, but he went straight down the driveway and slammed into a fence, crushing the backseat with my brother in it.

I have no idea what this dream means, but I had a really strong urge to post it here. FYI, my grandfather is far from abusive in any sense of the word. Anyway, on topic, I'll try to make it to this. People from Kentucky, feel free to join me for the long drive.

Sprocket
Seymour

Freak show!

Postby Sprocket » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Zach wrote:Heh, whether this is a comic with random, unimportant numbers or not, this should be a gathering of quirky, neurotic people.

Obviously not an insult. I love quirky, neurotic people.

We like you too :lol:
Last edited by Sprocket on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Sprocket
Seymour

Avocado pugs

Postby Sprocket » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

Roffle wrote:I don't have a signature

You lying son of a cop!

So, my weird dream

I had a dream once where I went to work and there was this thing like a big toaster oven, but REALLY modern, smooth, space-agey looking. It came with a bag of powder. Specifically my boss had ordered "pug powder." He had made himself a pug and was on vaccation.

I wanted to watch the machine at work, so I took a scoop of pug powder, placed it in the tray, pushed it in, close the door and turned it on. Moments later - awe, cute lil boy pug. Let's try that again...awe cute lil girl pug.....
"wait a minute, what am I gonna do with these PUGS!? My boss doesn't want THREE pugs, I can't afford ANY! What a horrible invention! People can just MAKE innocent living creatures willhe nillhe, with no effort at all, like they were disposable! Oh me yarm I've got another one started in the machine!"
I quickly turn it off and open it up
"Oh dear god I hope it's not some creepy half-formed thing...oh thank GOD it's just a double avocado."
That's like two avocados growing together, sharing a middle seed. I think I ended up opting to put them up for adoption.

My friend Skippy's comment - Does this mean you believe in abortion in the double avocadomester?
Last edited by Sprocket on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Sprocket
Seymour

grandparent dream

Postby Sprocket » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

Zach wrote:I had a dream last night that my grandfather was holding my grandmother's face near the ground and was screaming at her for something. It reminded me of what people do to dogs that defecate in the house. I went outside and said "What the fuck is going on?" My grandfather looked sheepish and said "nevermind." He then got in the car, and told my grandmother to get in too. Somehow, my brother ended up in the back seat. I said, "Never fucking mind your 'nevermind,' what the hell is happening?" He flew into a rage and I tried to stop him from driving away, but he went straight down the driveway and slammed into a fence, crushing the backseat with my brother in it.

I have no idea what this dream means, but I had a really strong urge to post it here. FYI, my grandfather is far from abusive in any sense of the word. Anyway, on topic, I'll try to make it to this. People from Kentucky, feel free to join me for the long drive.

That dream is about how sometimes standing up for something can have repercussions. Especially in the family. You may get back and your grand dad for being a POS, but he'll just take it out on your lil brudder.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

scwizard wrote:
warriorness wrote:The only college near Boston/Cambridge that I applied to was MIT, and they declined me.

Cool, they declined me to! Lets be friends.

ikefalcon wrote:And I also got rejected from MIT.

Solt wrote:Alas MIT rejected me as well 2 years back.

I hereby declare us the Official Xkcd "Not Good Enough" club! I get to be precedent!
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Fenyx

Postby Fenyx » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

Does this remind anyone else of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

Specifically the part where people are given the coordinates of a place and told "We're going to drop a big arse rock there. Don't be there." and then a huge group of people show up there to watch the show and get a large rock dropped on thier heads.

Anyone else reminded of that? No? k. See you in September. :D

P.S. Also a first time poster

gsail11

Postby gsail11 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

patrace wrote:I'm not sure about a permit but someone should definitely bring Nachos.

hahaha I loved that. I picture a horde of riot police storming in, "Who's in charge here? Who got permission for this assembly?" After about 10 seconds patrace meekly holds up his bowl of nachos.

Actually if you think about it, it's not that surprising how many people have birthdays close to the day. I mean if there are a thousand xkcders who encounter this thread, about 30 of them will likely have a birthday within 5 days of the equinox. What surprises me is the number of people who seems to live within about a one mile radius of the location.

Also not surprising is the number of MIT rejectees, haha. Not exactly a small demographic. (As a highschool junior, I have yet to have my hopes crushed.)
Wow! That's a big-ass hole!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

This is worse than ghost stories guys.
I totally freaked my self out just now... I've been reading The Dark Tower books (all about weird connections, world crossings, preventing the collapse of the universe, and hoopla) and looked it up on wikipedia. Turns out there's other stuff called Dark Tower, one being 66 (possibly more, 2 were lost) pages written by C.S. Lewis... The really weird part was reading (skimming mostly) that his Dark Tower was a replica of the Cambridge Library... (Cabridge being the place where the coordinates lead to)
Except that it's Cambridge University's Library in England, and not the same Cambridge.
(Geography and history aren't my strong suits... )
So... not quite earth shatterring, tho' I did pick today to wear the t-shirt my parents bought me in England... (probably a million other coincidences we could nit pick out of nothing too)

It's awful when my dreams try to convince me they're not dreams, mostly I don't want them to be dreams (except for recently... I really wanted to wake up... but instead my dream self went to sleep and woke up again... that was freaky).

Veehan

Postby Veehan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

I don't know if its been brought up, I kinda skimmed the last two pages, but maybe the coordinates are meant to be so precise to convey the illusion hes placed upon himself, implied with the statement "No matter how elaborately you try to fool yourself". The detailed nature of the coordinates seem contrived to the character, and thus all these conclusions about the importance of the time and place are drawn up to give it a sense significance, giving him a reason to believe it might be true.

Or I'm completely off base. First post, joining the masses.

patrace

Postby patrace » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

gsail11 wrote:After about 10 seconds patrace meekly holds up his bowl of nachos.

Riot police love nachos! That's their only weakness.

chris_radcliff

Postby chris_radcliff » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

For those who might be interested, I put the (potential) event on Eventful: xkcd mystery event. I'm going to try to make it, but the airfare from San Diego is nontrivial.

And yes, this is another first-time post. Hello, world!

Phy

Postby Phy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

Hey. So all you people who are going to be there, um... if you get sucked into an alternate dimension like James Earl Jones going into the corn... will you send a postcard?

Please?

mobugs

Postby mobugs » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

I thought this comic was obviously making fun of the whole THE SECRET bullshit that oprah has been spreading.

Celyana

Postby Celyana » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

well I'm a first poster too... what can I say, I couldn't resist following the trend and the lure of this comic.

I'm also interested in coming to the meetup! if I go, anyone from NYC or thereabouts is welcome to carpool with me or we can organise a bus or something :)

I moved to NYC 8 months ago from Australia... and that means I'm on the right continent for this meetup... could it be fate?! ;)

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:04 am UTC

I think its a very romantic comic and yet very realistic. Dreams arent real, and i bet as many times hes dreamed of meeting his perfect girl, hes also dreamed of velociraptors attacking him.... so really, arent we all the better for having dreams that are seperate to reality?
xx
btw.. what is The Secret? Ive sold so many of the damn things I think I should know the answer!

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 am UTC

@The Secret:
Some n00b book. Don't worry about it.
~= scwizard =~

rrenaud

Postby rrenaud » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:03 am UTC

The chinatown bus from NYC to Boston is cheap. $30 round ticket. That might be my mode of transportation.

themuffinking

House, MD

Postby themuffinking » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:18 am UTC

Anybody else notice the similarities between this comic and the "psychic dreams" Dr. House had on yesterday's (3/28) episode of House, MD? For those who didn't see it, a non-spoiler summary: House has a dream in which he is a soldier. His truck is blown up and he loses his leg. Another soldier drags him away and hands him a gun, telling him to shoot at the enemy. Dr. Cuddy wakes House up at this point, and informs House of a case. The patient is a soldier returned from the Iraq War 3 months prior, and happens to be the same soldier House saw in his dream (the one who dragged him away). House spends the whole episode yelling at his team to get various bits of medically irrelevant data about the patient in an attempt to figure out why he knew this soldier before meeting him, like credit reports, whether he'd ever been in any magazines, TV shows, pornos, etc., and whether he'd ever been to the hospital before. House figures out where he last saw the soldier towards the end of the episode, and it is hinted that he figured this out while masturbating in the shower very early in the morning.

That's an unnecessarily long post, and no one is going to read it. In short: House has a dream about a patient before meeting the patient. House is convinced he must have seen the patient before. House is right.

Now I don't remember what my point was. Anyway, that was a great episode. Seriously. Watch it Friday on USA.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”