0551: "Etch-a-Sketch"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

punto

Re: "Etch-a-Sketch" Discussion

Postby punto » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 am UTC

poor Michael J Fox, he'll be alone forver :cry:

johnie104

Re: "Etch-A-Sketch" Discussion

Postby johnie104 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 am UTC

Wow, got here fast

Great comic, the girl looked kind of creepy though
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Akeaka

Postby Akeaka » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:22 am UTC

athelas wrote:*shake shake*

Am I really the only one who got the Mischief Makers reference here? Common peoples!

Oflick

Re: "Etch-A-Sketch" Discussion

Postby Oflick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56 am UTC

rainbrain wrote:reminds me of the girl from The Ring.

speaking of which, IT'S A TRAP!

That's where I thought it was going for about a second before I read the speech bubble.

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 am UTC

Wow, is this the first XKCD character to have 5 fingers?

EdyScissorhands

Postby EdyScissorhands » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 am UTC

I'm glad Randall censored whatever he's doing to that Etch-a-Sketch in panel 8...

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:23 am UTC

Am I the only one who sees a (non-derivative) Calvin and Hobbes influence here. It's like a depressed Bill Waterson at his minimalist best, I relly like it. Woo for xkcd being poignant again!

Edit: And a page topper too! This day is turning out pretty well!
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

MrGuy

Postby MrGuy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am UTC

oblivimous wrote:There's a guy in the niegborhood who is a genius with the sketch. Here's some of his work. His site is http://www.michaelmcnevin.com/
Image Image

So what you're saying is that she's already taken?

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 am UTC

How come nobody posted a "My [someone] died in an Etch-a-sketch [something]. Not clever/funny/etc."?

As for EAS, I used to have one as a kid. I don't know where it is. I miss it. >:

Also. I went "Aaaaw~ <3" upon reading it. When on the bus, I often imagine someone sitting down next to me in the same manner.

CactusPolecat

Postby CactusPolecat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

I never do this sort of thing, but I cannot just walk away from such a beautifully-constructed story. A gentle fantasy, a transition to the real world, a pause - all setting us up so that one gesture can mean so much.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Interactive Civilian wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
Interactive Civilian wrote:Oh, come on now! Reality is fascinating! :) Mind-blowingly fascinating. All you have to do is look at the world with a sense of wonder.

In other words, lie to yourself.

Wow. Am I the only one here whose life doesn't suck? Seriously...

I'm not saying it sucks, I'm saying it's nothing special.

And I'm saying that "all you have to do to make life fascinating is look at it with a sense of wonder" is basically lying to yourself. If you have to force yourself to be amazed, it's apparently not amazing to you. Otherwise you wouldn't have had to force yourself. So all you'd be doing is pretend to find something wonderful.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

There is only one thing to say to this comic.

Awwwwwwwwww! <3

Seriously, if anything that's an aww moment. :D

And a guy draws a stick figure which draws a stick figure, ZOMG recursion!

(Sorry, I had to do something to regain my manliness.)
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Vertana

Postby Vertana » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

The drawing at the end was showing what was really there while he imagined the girl and it was nothing. He saw right through the Etch-a-Sketch and it showed the stylus behind the glass. An Etch-a-Sketch works by moving a stylus using the knobs to control the x and y axis of it. That's what makes the "window" look at the end. So in essence, he sees right through the Etch-a-Sketch and sees... nothing, despair, any other emo adjective you can think of.

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I've always wanted to do that.
Windows: Life without walls.
In a world without walls or fences, nobody would need windows or gates.

Xsera is coming!

KelinciHutan

Postby KelinciHutan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
Interactive Civilian wrote:Oh, come on now! Reality is fascinating! :) Mind-blowingly fascinating. All you have to do is look at the world with a sense of wonder.

And I'm saying that "all you have to do to make life fascinating is look at it with a sense of wonder" is basically lying to yourself. If you have to force yourself to be amazed, it's apparently not amazing to you. Otherwise you wouldn't have had to force yourself. So all you'd be doing is pretend to find something wonderful.

I could just as easily argue the opposite from your post, Domovoi. Life really is that awesome, but you are forcing yourself to look at it from a cynical point-of-view. And if you have to force yourself to do it, it's apparently not really that bland. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to force yourself. So all you'd be doing is pretending to find something mundane.

Granted, Interactive Civilian did phrase it a bit over-the-top, but even so. Does knowing how an Etch-A-Sketch works make it any less fun to play with? Randall apparently thinks so, but I still like them. And so what if a sunset is only refracted light? It's still amazing to watch. Fireworks? Snow? Meteor showers? All have perfectly reasonable explanations, and all are still cool.

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

(posted now that it's been decided which thread to go forward with)

The guy in the comic, and at least one of the people responding to it, desperately needs a girlfriend. Or something. God.

Sorry. This goes way past my sympathy line into the bad part of "pathetic."

theyranos
Location: About 30 minutes southwest of the armpit of nowhere.

Postby theyranos » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

KelinciHutan wrote:I could just as easily argue the opposite from your post, Domovoi. Life really is that awesome, but you are forcing yourself to look at it from a cynical point-of-view. And if you have to force yourself to do it, it's apparently not really that bland. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to force yourself. So all you'd be doing is pretending to find something mundane.

Since the argument works either way, and force is required in either case to see the other point of view, the thought suggests itself that the nature of reality is defined by individual laziness. The world is mundane if you can't be bothered to approach the mundane with a sense of wonder. The world is interesting if you can't be bothered to notice the pattern. I may be slightly biased here.

Nemphael wrote:How come nobody posted a "My [someone] died in an Etch-a-sketch [something]. Not clever/funny/etc."?

My [someone] might've survived the [something] had his lungs not filled with aluminum powder.
Had enough arguing about xkcd? Perhaps I can refer you to a crappy comic of my own.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

KelinciHutan wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
Domovoi wrote:

I could just as easily argue the opposite from your post, Domovoi. Life really is that awesome, but you are forcing yourself to look at it from a cynical point-of-view.

What makes you think I'm forcing myself to look at it that way rather than seeing it that way naturally? See, you can't just as easily argue the opposite, because I'm not the one saying "Just look at it another way."

Granted, Interactive Civilian did phrase it a bit over-the-top, but even so. Does knowing how an Etch-A-Sketch works make it any less fun to play with? Randall apparently thinks so, but I still like them. And so what if a sunset is only refracted light? It's still amazing to watch. Fireworks? Snow? Meteor showers? All have perfectly reasonable explanations, and all are still cool.

To some, undoubtedly. To others, they're mundane. Eye of the beholder and everything, go figure.

Lóng the Dragon

Postby Lóng the Dragon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

I mistakenly posted in the other thread, but I deleted it there so here it is again, I guess:

Yes, finally!

A good comic, no memes, no wikipedia and I could understand it, too! I really liked this one. I found its atmosphere a bit similar to the one from Dark Flow.
I'm just being bilingually redundant.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

:-) awe that was a cute one. Go on, invite her over for some interesting activity, I'm sure you'll have SOMETHING in common...even if she is just clitoris on cross-hairs.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

punkymonkey

Postby punkymonkey » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

From the point of view of someone who literally lost her "almost boyfriend" and best friend of 11 years in the same night... this is completely depressing.

The pathetic thing.. As I cried myself to sleep last night, I actually thought "god.. I really hope tomorrow's xkcd does not make me think of all this shit.."

I wish I could jump into the monitor.. and give him a hug... or maybe it's just cause I need one too?
<wst> punkymonkey is actually punky. phew

jlamothe

Postby jlamothe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:How come nobody posted a "My [someone] died in an Etch-a-sketch [something]. Not clever/funny/etc."?

sje must not be feeling well today.

Susy

Postby Susy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

How come Randall can do that? Get inside my head??? Get out!!!

It was just last night when I was talking to a "friend" of how lonely I felt...we could have been friends too, just like the comic...but he insisted he wanted to be alone...the heck! I hate loneliness, besides it is not like I am going to be his girlfriend or something...I just need a friend...why doesn´t want to be my friend...I am not that disgusting....am I??

Fucking loneliness...it stinks!!!

...it hurts.. :(

abstractpotato

Postby abstractpotato » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
KelinciHutan wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
Domovoi wrote:

I could just as easily argue the opposite from your post, Domovoi. Life really is that awesome, but you are forcing yourself to look at it from a cynical point-of-view.

What makes you think I'm forcing myself to look at it that way rather than seeing it that way naturally? See, you can't just as easily argue the opposite, because I'm not the one saying "Just look at it another way."

To some, undoubtedly. To others, they're mundane. Eye of the beholder and everything, go figure.

There isn't such a thing about lying to yourself about emotions; there's no such thing as a "fake emotion". If you "force" yourself to feel a certain way, that's the way you really will end up feeling. You can consciously change your level of happiness of you try.

As to the actual comic, very good. Definitely depressing though; just the little stylus at the end.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

That's odd. All it shows is a picture of Hitler.

Brooser

Postby Brooser » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

abstractpotato wrote:There isn't such a thing about lying to yourself about emotions; there's no such thing as a "fake emotion". If you "force" yourself to feel a certain way, that's the way you really will end up feeling. You can consciously change your level of happiness of you try.

As to the actual comic, very good. Definitely depressing though; just the little stylus at the end.

While I do agree with this, I've found that it doesn't necessarily work all the time. If you're feeling particularly depressed, it can be pretty difficult to just say "hey, I'm gonna be happy now even though my family just died." Though I have done the "I'm gonna stop wallowing in my own self-pity and be happy now" thing plenty of times in the past, I've found that it only really works if you're already at a point where you CAN get over it and maybe you've just been choosing not to.

Besides all that, I kind of prefer to let my emotions come about naturally. I like to be happy of course, but in a weird way being sad once in a while can be cleansing.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Kailen wrote:*sigh* I know the feeling. Reality is too boring, and imagination is only that. :cry:

Oh, come on now! Reality is fascinating! :) Mind-blowingly fascinating. All you have to do is look at the world with a sense of wonder.

If you find reality too boring, then I suggest changing your life a bit.

Hey, I'm already plenty insane. I'd go nuts if I weren't crazy. I see things in ways others already don't. But even then, it's never as amusing as pure flights of fancy.

Then again, I've been in a bit of a slump lately. *shrug*.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

Brooser wrote:
abstractpotato wrote:There isn't such a thing about lying to yourself about emotions; there's no such thing as a "fake emotion". If you "force" yourself to feel a certain way, that's the way you really will end up feeling. You can consciously change your level of happiness of you try.

While I do agree with this, I've found that it doesn't necessarily work all the time. If you're feeling particularly depressed, it can be pretty difficult to just say "hey, I'm gonna be happy now even though my family just died." Though I have done the "I'm gonna stop wallowing in my own self-pity and be happy now" thing plenty of times in the past, I've found that it only really works if you're already at a point where you CAN get over it and maybe you've just been choosing not to.

+1

The whole "You just have to stop being sad" thing is a blatant oversimplification. Sure, it can work, but only if you're actually able to make that choice. And not everybody is always able to make that choice.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

keiya wrote:cephalopod9... you've just been waiting for Randal to do an Etch-a-Sketch-related comic so you could do that, haven't you?... It's utterly awesome, either way :P

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:In other words, lie to yourself.

Disagree here, trying to see something in a new light isn't lying to yourself. Life's got shit bits, sure, but it's got amazing bits too. I wouldn't say it's skewed in one sides favour. All we're trying to do is focus on the good and not dwell on the bad. Sure it's biased, but that's a choice you can make.

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:

No, you don't have to lie to yourself at all.
Douglas Adams wrote:"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I really liked this one. At first it seems like a set-up for a surreal joke, but then ends poignantly. And the artwork on the Etch-a-sketch girl is excellent.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

hagger

Postby hagger » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

I'd have to say I'm not one of the ones who found this depressing. Definitely poignant, and one of the best comics for ages. Still, depressing? It's an interesting exploration of how reality can never match up to imagination, but not emo-depressing. I suppose emo nowadays implies terrible expression and lots of angst, talking about how "no-one understands me." This comic seems a bit more world weary, frustrated that life doesn't always live up to your dreams. Depressing and pathetic? Nah. An expression of the fact that the rational, empirical scientific truth is more often than not less exciting than what you can imagine the truth to be? Certainly.

At least, that's my take. Glad to see Randall explore some of his old topics again.

YuriPup

Postby YuriPup » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I too thought this comic was funny and after a moment or 2, poignant.

I do think this is absolutely brilliant.

Thank you.

Disa

Postby Disa » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

This comic made me think of the custom case insert for my PSP:
The center is cut out to show the PSP logo on the back of the system.

I really liked this comic even though its a bit sad.

A.DTheMediocre

Postby A.DTheMediocre » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Best xkcd since the flowchart one.

formatc1702

Postby formatc1702 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:The whole "You just have to stop being sad" thing is a blatant oversimplification. Sure, it can work, but only if you're actually able to make that choice. And not everybody is always able to make that choice.

c'mon now. when i feel sad, i just stop being sad and start being awesome instead! true story.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

WTF mate?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Greguardo

Postby Greguardo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

I totally didn't get it at first. I thought that she was giving him a present or something, and that he was trying to shake it out...and he shook her away...that would have been lame
OH, UM, I'M SORRY, I WAS JUST...UM...I GUESS I CAN HANG OUT FOR A BIT.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”