0553: "Pirate Bay"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hthall

0553: "Pirate Bay"

Postby hthall » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:02 am UTC

title-text: We find you guilty of closing your torrents as soon as they finish. Your sentence is unremovable Hungarian subtitles on everything.

They'll be convicted under a sub-title of the law that's very hard to read, because all the sentences are in Hungarian.
Look at me, still talking when there's Science to do.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Re: "Pirate Bay" Discussion

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:04 am UTC

At home I seed generously. Can't afford to at uni.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:04 am UTC

I laughed.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

athelas wrote:At home I seed generously. Can't afford to at uni.

Odd - I'm the reverse. At Uni, I have a phat pipe for such seeding, but I'd slow the connection to a crawl if I did it at home.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

Contrabass

Postby Contrabass » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:07 am UTC

I wonder if the "News" crowd will trickle over to this thread now?

f1g2h311

Postby f1g2h311 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Usually I just run it over night so its still seeding from the time it finishes till the time I wake up at least.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Auugh!

That is all. :)

booyabazooka

Postby booyabazooka » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:28 am UTC

I used to keep my computer on at night to run folding@home... now it's for seeding.

I'm violating copyright, but I'm helping my torrent community. I feel like it evens out?

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:31 am UTC

booyabazooka wrote:I'm violating copyright, but I'm helping my torrent community. I feel like it evens out?

you're helping your torrent community to violate copyright... how does that even out?
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

exoren22

Postby exoren22 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:34 am UTC

I really hope that one day this becomes a possible and mandatory punishment. I hate it when people don't seed. When it takes more than 2 hours to download an SNL episode I know its because some boner just stole the movie from NBC and me!

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 am UTC

What does this so-called "seeding" mean?
Last edited by MoghLiechty2 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dumbledore

Postby dumbledore » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 am UTC

hard to seed when your upload speed is 1/20th of your download speed...

dr7

Postby dr7 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 am UTC

Equal seeding when my upstream connection speed is a fraction of my download isn't fair for me. That's one of the reasons I gave up torrents long ago.
dr7: king of the wicker people

Crysm

Postby Crysm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 am UTC

hthall wrote:They'll be convicted under a sub-title of the law that's very hard to read, because all the sentences are in Hungarian.

I laughed. Excellent word usage.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:Odd - I'm the reverse. At Uni, I have a phat pipe for such seeding, but I'd slow the connection to a crawl if I did it at home.

No, it's physically easier with the fat pipe, but it's more of a matter of the RIAA snooping more at colleges than for average Joes

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 am UTC

MoghLiechty2 wrote:What does this so-called "seeding" mean?

Short version: When you download a torrent, you also upload it back up for others. When you have finished downloading, you can either close it out ("leeching") or continue to upload it ("seeding") for the other downloaders ("peers").

Edit: Someone farther down has a more technically correct answer. You'll note that I said mine was the "short version."
Last edited by 1337geek on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 am UTC

athelas wrote:
Iluvatar wrote:Odd - I'm the reverse. At Uni, I have a phat pipe for such seeding, but I'd slow the connection to a crawl if I did it at home.

No, it's physically easier with the fat pipe, but it's more of a matter of the RIAA snooping more at colleges than for average Joes

Or colleges that cap you based on a GB usage per week. 10GB per week means one 720p or DVDR (4gb or so) seeded to a ratio of one, plus 2GB for normal internet activity.

It's.... very constrictive. I'll opt for the 15GB plan probably, but it won't help much.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 am UTC

I don't stop my torrents immediately after downloading something, but I don't have uTorrent on start-up so when I restart, that's all you're getting from me until I decide to download something else.

I do stop them after a few days, when my share ratio reaches a nice number (greater than two is my standard, but depending on the size of the file, I might wait until it's at 20).
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:54 am UTC

On my old ISP, I couldn't really seed much (Telstra counts anything you upload towards your total bandwidth usage... and gives you minimum bandwidth in the first place). So the rare times I was able to download a torrent, my ratios were usually around 0.5, max.

However with my new ISP, I can upload as much as I like, so I tend to seed to 150%, sometimes more. I hate torrents that have minimum seeders and a swarm of leechers :(

Question time, is this relevant to anything actually happening? Is Pirate Bay actually going on trial? I'm probably wrong :P

trilobyte

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Troll time:
When you have finished downloading, you can either close it out ("leeching") or continue to upload it ("seeding") for the other downloaders ("peers").

Incorrect. Continuing to upload it is called "uploading". Leaving it open in your torrent client to be able to be uploaded is "seeding". Seeding involves no data exchange. Uploading/Downloading does.

I'm a SysOp of a torrent site and an Sr. Administrator of another and have to explain the differentiation probably every day. >:[

end troll

Edit: Props to 1337Geek for answering the question 95% correct in the first place :)
Last edited by trilobyte on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PCChris

Postby PCChris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:02 am UTC

EugeneSlipped wrote:Question time, is this relevant to anything actually happening? Is Pirate Bay actually going on trial? I'm probably wrong :P

Actually, the 11 day trial just recently ended on March 3 but there is no verdict yet. A verdict is due by April 17.
Last edited by PCChris on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:02 am UTC

EugeneSlipped wrote:Question time, is this relevant to anything actually happening? Is Pirate Bay actually going on trial?

Yes. And yes.

Edit: Ninja'd.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Interesting... might look it up.

Personally I've always found pirate bay to be a pretty bad torrent site, never liked it.

EDIT:
Wait... it's not Piratebay I'm thinking of... dang, what is it? Ah well.

Storm

Postby Storm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:26 am UTC

If any other Canadians (or anyone who knows for that matter) could inform me if this information is correct, I've heard it is only illegal to upload and/or 'seed' here.
I do most of my downloading at school and typically share till I get at least a 2.0 ratio.
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Midna

Postby Midna » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:36 am UTC

I admit, I'm a leecher.
But I rarely use torrents and I don't think the peer community is going to bash me for leeching two textbooks. I'm not really a file-sharing whore.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:49 am UTC

See, at first I was confused; I thought these guys were real maritime terrorists and wasn't thinking of torrents, so, when the guy said he always seeds generously, a different meaning of seed (2nd definition) came to my mind.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:51 am UTC

Something's buggered with my ISP and/or setup. I can download all I want, but the torrent will almost never upload anything. I'll leave it for a week after downloading and still have a ratio of zero. :? Occasionally it sends a few KB.

I suspect they do some funny shit, either intentionally or not, that breaks both that and my website.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

edem

Postby edem » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 am UTC

hthall wrote:We find you guilty of closing your torrents as soon as they finish. Your sentence is unremovable Hungarian subtitles on everything.

Bah, Hungarian subtitles are nothing. Not very annoying. Make it Hungarian dub, and now you're somewhere - for the last couple of years, Hungarian dubs s*ck hard. I should know, I'm a Hungarian, and I rather watch a movie with the original English dub...
And btw, Hungarian language is actually easier to read than English. At least, when we write a t, we always pronounce it as a t (like in 'it'), unlike English people (take 'nation' for example...) :P

...not that I'm complaining. ;)

thret

Postby thret » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:14 am UTC

EugeneSlipped wrote:On my old ISP, I couldn't really seed much (Telstra counts anything you upload towards your total bandwidth usage... and gives you minimum bandwidth in the first place). So the rare times I was able to download a torrent, my ratios were usually around 0.5, max.

However with my new ISP, I can upload as much as I like, so I tend to seed to 150%, sometimes more. I hate torrents that have minimum seeders and a swarm of leechers :(

Question time, is this relevant to anything actually happening? Is Pirate Bay actually going on trial? I'm probably wrong :P

Who is your new ISP? I'm with Telstra, I hate it. I would upload more but I don't want to screw myself out of fast internets...

Btw, thepokerbay.org is the best torrent site :)

LackOfGrace

Postby LackOfGrace » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:20 am UTC

why are they in jail?

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:23 am UTC

thret wrote:Who is your new ISP? I'm with Telstra, I hate it. I would upload more but I don't want to screw myself out of fast internets...

Btw, thepokerbay.org is the best torrent site :)

That's exactly how I felt... Though, I could barely consider Telstra "fast". 600-800kb/s for cable :( I get 1.2mb/s on my ADSL2+

I'm with TPG at the moment. They seem alright, haven't really had any issues with them. And their prices are so much more reasonable than you could get with Telstra or Optus.

LupusRex

Postby LupusRex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:26 am UTC

Actually, the accused men are not behind bars. They are free until the verdict on april 17th. Heck, anakata is already back in asia.

HPDDJ

Postby HPDDJ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:31 am UTC

LAUGH ALLOWED.

I was just browsing TPB, and I'll admit, I'M A LEECHER.

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:41 am UTC

I often find myself leeching, but mainly because the stuff I download isn't wanted by anyone else!

ozur

Postby ozur » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 am UTC

I hate Hungarian subtitles, and I am Hungarian. But the worst are the dubs as someone mentioned before, and the translations of movie titles. You can have a good laugh if you ask someone to translate the translation of the titles of English movies back from Hungarian to English. An example: the Hungarian title for "Alien" translated back to English: The 8th passenger is Death. Which created an awkwardness with the titles of sequels...

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:51 am UTC

I love Hungarian dubs. I won't lie, I've watched a couple of movies in their entirety in Hungarian audio. (I can only speak/understand English)

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:30 am UTC

Pure awesome. The wordplay density is high in this one.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Benson

Postby Benson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:35 am UTC

I seed OS images (slackware and Debian; not Vista, you pervert!) to a ratio of 10, weekly TV shows all week, and anything else to a ratio of at least 2. But I'll let things run over, until I need that upstream bandwidth for new stuff, so most "anything else" torrents end up with a ratio of 5 or so.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 am UTC

Weeeeeeeeeeell, since I'd never heard of Pirate Bay and know almost nothing about downloading :oops: it took this thread to help me get the joke (and no hot cheese).

But you know what? I don't mind not getting it. It makes me feel un-geeky for once. Randall has catered for the people who were asking for more computer-y strips. :roll: It'll be my turn again soon.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

creaothceann

Postby creaothceann » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 am UTC

I'm usually a leecher... it's hard to get even when you have only 10 KB/s upload speed.

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Something's buggered with my ISP and/or setup. I can download all I want, but the torrent will almost never upload anything. I'll leave it for a week after downloading and still have a ratio of zero. :? Occasionally it sends a few KB.

Maybe your firewall is blocking the ports.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”