0555: "Two Mirrors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DreadArchon

Re: "Two Mirrors"

Postby DreadArchon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

I laughed so hard at this. Well done. :D

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

Wow, I was actually looking at that Douglas Hofstadter book in a shop this week (get out... etc). I didn't buy it, perhaps I will.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Nemphael wrote:
Midna wrote:I'll tell you what I'd do if Somara came after me.

*Samara

*Sadako.

Proper Japanese version >>>> shitty Hollywood remake.

*Sudoku

Wait...this isn't a word game, is it?

Curses, I am defeated :lol:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Susy

Postby Susy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Not amused Randall.
My girlfriend Mary is on her perriod. Woman won't stop crying. I keep trying to keep her busy by ordering her to cook for me, but she just keeps getting fussy about it. And the game is on! EEEERRRrrrrgggg.

Not cool, not funny, not a good comic.

sje46, I just want to let you know that definitely you bring life to this forum, I am amazed how every Randall comic has something to do with your life...

I've got to be honest: everytime I enter the forum, I scroll down until finding your post, my hearth jumps with joy when I've found it and then I know my day will be great.

I hope your girl gets better, there are some pills for this stuff you know? you should buy her some.

Spoiler:
By the way, I think you could have done better on this post, something like "my girlfriend Mary had and accident in the bathroom when the mirror broke and she almost died when losing blood. Not cool, not funny."

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Susy wrote:
sje46 wrote:Not amused Randall.
My girlfriend Mary is on her perriod. Woman won't stop crying. I keep trying to keep her busy by ordering her to cook for me, but she just keeps getting fussy about it. And the game is on! EEEERRRrrrrgggg.

Not cool, not funny, not a good comic.

sje46, I just want to let you know that definitely you bring life to this forum, I am amazed how every Randall comic has something to do with your life...

I've got to be honest: everytime I enter the forum, I scroll down until finding your post, my hearth jumps with joy when I've found it and then I know my day will be great.

I hope your girl gets better, there are some pills for this stuff you know? you should buy her some.

Spoiler:
By the way, I think you could have done better on this post, something like "my girlfriend Mary had and accident in the bathroom when the mirror broke and she almost died when losing blood. Not cool, not funny."

Spoiler:
Yeah, but I don't want you to expect too much from me, so some of these I skip, and some of these I put very little thought in them, just so I won't have to feel so much pressure. "Hey, I let my fans done before, and it was alright" But thanks. :)

EDIT:
Also, this:
Last edited by sje46 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

I remember doing this as a kid as well. There are obviously many different versions of what you are "supposed" to do, but when I heard about it, the trick was you were supposed to sprinkle water on the mirror as you said "Bloody Mary" 25 times. I think if you combined the water on the mirror, a candle, and maybe spinning around a bunch of times, there is a pretty good chance you are going to think you're seeing some ghosts.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

iclogg

Postby iclogg » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

This comic was good, but I have not laughed as hard in years as I did when I came to the end of the Wikipedia entry about Douglas Hofstadter...

I love xkcd so mutch :D

aphyr

Postby aphyr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I feel obliged to point out that due to boundary conditions, the vacuum energy density between the mirrors is actually lower than what it would be in free space. Hence, we should see fewer virtual-particle induced transitions, such as the excitation of ghosts. Maybe that's why she had time to duck. ;-)

kyle.m

Postby kyle.m » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Did anyone else notice that the reflection in the right-hand mirror on the right-most panel is incorrect? It should reflect her kneeling down, not standing up (like she was in the previous panel).

Dan.V

Postby Dan.V » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

kyle.m wrote:Did anyone else notice that the reflection in the right-hand mirror on the right-most panel is incorrect? It should reflect her kneeling down, not standing up (like she was in the previous panel).

I believe the head in that particular mirror is Bloody Mary's head, not the girl in the bathroom.

kyle.m

Postby kyle.m » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

Dan.V wrote:
kyle.m wrote:Did anyone else notice that the reflection in the right-hand mirror on the right-most panel is incorrect? It should reflect her kneeling down, not standing up (like she was in the previous panel).

I believe the head in that particular mirror is Bloody Mary's head, not the girl in the bathroom.

I was referring to the portion of the arm and leg below that. They appear to be directly translated from the previous panel, but the character they're reflecting is no longer in the same position.

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

Whoever said it, oh-my-god you're right, this is the second Friday the 13th in a row, because we had it in February.
I shouldn't worry about it, 'cause school just let out for Spring Break.
This comic isn't as creepy as I'd think it'd be.

bhandy

Postby bhandy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

keeneal wrote:Had to google it.
for the lazy, link: http://www.castleofspirits.com/bloodymary.html

This game seems like it'd be a largely British phenomenon... am I right?

It may be a British phenomenon, but I've known it as "Bloody Mary" ever since I was a kid.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

If one of the mirrors was only partially silvered (except for one spot), would you have a HASEBM?
(Hate Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Bloody Mary)

civver

Postby civver » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Last panel had me laughing out loud.
Scientific knowledge is the heritage of all mankind.

-Abdus Salam, Pakistani physicist, won the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for contributions to electroweak theory.

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

I never knew Bloody Mary was a British thing, the kids in my elementary school would do this all the time (except instead of using the term "Bloody Mary", we would say "Candyman" for some reason...?).

[/nostalgia. Thanks Randall! :) ]
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

tech42er

Postby tech42er » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

ohnoesmilk wrote:Haha. Bloody Mary is the reason I still can't go into the bathroom at night without the light on. :[

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :oops:

double entendre

Postby double entendre » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:

Right, in America we say "Biggie Smalls" instead.

We had Bloody Mary in Canada.

But WHY Biggie Smalls? Why would anyone be afraid of Biggie?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

Lawman wrote:I don't understand where the infinite loop comes from: surely just two Marys appear and that's that.

But the first mirror contains the image of the second mirror. The second mirror contains the image of the first, and hence also the image of itself. Each mirror contains a full image of itself, which contains a full image of itself... ad infintum.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

double entendre wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Right, in America we say "Biggie Smalls" instead.

We had Bloody Mary in Canada.

But WHY Biggie Smalls? Why would anyone be afraid of Biggie?

Biggie Smalls

Biggie Smalls

Spoiler:
ImageWHAT DID YOU SAY?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Blackwatch

Postby Blackwatch » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

is it just me or is anybody else reminded of portal?

xainxodik

Postby xainxodik » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

I see Randall has created a comic to illustrate the obscure infinite bloody mary exploit. Please no one attempt this, as it will cause buffer overflow in the fabric of space time.

Eriksson

Postby Eriksson » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:42 am UTC

I've heard of Bloody Mary before, but I wonder what would have happened if that girl tried the Lovecraft ("Hastur" thrice) version of that trick...

Ajtucker22

Postby Ajtucker22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 am UTC

sableye22 wrote:I never knew Bloody Mary was a British thing, the kids in my elementary school would do this all the time (except instead of using the term "Bloody Mary", we would say "Candyman" for some reason...?).

[/nostalgia. Thanks Randall! :) ]

We knew it as 2 separate things. Bloody marry was one, and she simply tortured and killed you, leaving a bloody mess with no body

Candy man would do one of 3 things.
A) Grant your wish
B) Give you lots of candy and sweets
C) Take you to hell, and continually rape you for all of eternity.

Everyone always chickened out, and its still the reason I can't go into bathrooms at night.

Edited: I live in Texas by the way, so its about 90% positive that our "games" were just a mix and jumble of other culture's, not to mention something a friend's brother may have made up at the last minute.
Last edited by Ajtucker22 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rqm

Postby rqm » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 am UTC

GEB = 25% win + 50% meh + 25% fail.

Douglas is only good when he is talking about math and theorems. The Escher and Bach stuff is not convincing and the Turtle stuff is just unbearable... when he pulled Tumbolia from his recurssive I just wanted to stab him through my book.

Talion

Postby Talion » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:08 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Lawman wrote:I don't understand where the infinite loop comes from: surely just two Marys appear and that's that.

But the first mirror contains the image of the second mirror. The second mirror contains the image of the first, and hence also the image of itself. Each mirror contains a full image of itself, which contains a full image of itself... ad infintum.

The fallacy comes in forgetting that [flat] mirrors do not compress distance. only two of the Bloody Maries would jump out; the rest of them would move one mirror-world forward.

veggie vampire

Postby veggie vampire » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 am UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
ohnoesmilk wrote:Haha. Bloody Mary is the reason I still can't go into the bathroom at night without the light on. :[

Really? The reason I don't use the bathroom at night with the lights off is that I'd likely end up pissing on the floor if I did.

You need one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/abf5/

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Talion wrote:The fallacy comes in forgetting that [flat] mirrors do not compress distance. only two of the Bloody Maries would jump out; the rest of them would move one mirror-world forward.

Really? I thought that the fallacy was that there aren't witches that listen/jump through any mirror in existence. But yeah, I guess that is true that you can't produce two perfect images of flat mirrors in each other.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:42 am UTC

Dan.V wrote:Though I also got somewhat fed up with Floop Bloop and Gloop, I think that they were important tools for understanding the subsequent chapters. As for the chapter on DNA, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it was an interesting example of formal systems that exist in nature. As for the AI stuff, it was fairly obvious, and I couldn't help laughing when he would get all excited about things like "Maybe one day computers will be able to look at a sentence we've written in English and correct our faulty grammar!!!" But it's true, you have to remember when it was written, what computers were at that time, and more importantly the lack of knowledge of the general population regarding computers and AI.

The floop/bloop/gloop stuff was ok by me because he needed something to explain computer code to people who couldn't program (who were probably an even more overwhelming majority than now when the book was written) but I did find that some of the other formal systems were pretty unnecessary. I certainly thought DNA was a worthwhile subject to talk about given how it is a self-replicating system in nature, but thought that actually inventing a formal system about it on the spot was redundant.

berke wrote:Slightly overrated? I humbly disagree. As a musician with deep interest in science, I find Hofstadter to be a genius and his GEB to be one of the most beautiful works a human mind ever created.

I don't think the message of the book is overrated nor is Hofstadter's genius, just *how* the book is written and arranged gets on my nerves at times.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

Titan

Postby Titan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Woah, Creepy. I just watched the episode of Supernatural featuring the legend of Bloody Mary. Get out of my head, Randall!
//TO DO: make cool sig.
//Check.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:46 am UTC

veggie vampire wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:

Really? The reason I don't use the bathroom at night with the lights off is that I'd likely end up pissing on the floor if I did.

You need one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/abf5/

ThinkGeek wrote:This was, actually, the first test we put these through: peeing in the dark. It was a complete success. True story.

However, none of their "Additional Images" or "Customer Action Shots" support this statement.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:55 am UTC

crzftx wrote:
broken_chaos wrote:
dennisw wrote:Today is Friday the 13th.

So was a month ago. I don't remember anything special from any webcomic then...

Stupid February, messing everything up. There won't be another until this November.

If it helps, the 13th day of the month is a Friday more often than any of the other 6 days of the week (688 times every 400 years, compared to falling on the other 6 days between 684-687 times), so you get more Friday the 13th comics than you might think.

Gero

Postby Gero » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 am UTC

sableye22 wrote:I never knew Bloody Mary was a British thing, the kids in my elementary school would do this all the time (except instead of using the term "Bloody Mary", we would say "Candyman" for some reason...?).

There was a horror movie called Candyman where a murderous guy with a hook hand would appear and kill you after saying Candyman 3 times in the mirror. Probably Bloody Mary is where they got the idea.

sableye22

Postby sableye22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Gero wrote:There was a horror movie called Candyman where a murderous guy with a hook hand would appear and kill you after saying Candyman 3 times in the mirror. Probably Bloody Mary is where they got the idea.

Ajtucker22 wrote:We knew it as 2 separate things. Bloody marry was one, and she simply tortured and killed you, leaving a bloody mess with no body

Candy man would do one of 3 things.
A) Grant your wish
B) Give you lots of candy and sweets
C) Take you to hell, and continually rape you for all of eternity.

Thanks for those useful orgins. All I remember was doing it and walking out of a dark room disappointed.
Happy Pi day!
You don't have to spend, you just have to pretend.

pharamund

Postby pharamund » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

best mouse over text ever.
I love Hofstader; his book "I am a Strange Loop" is probably the best book I've ever read.

Berke

Postby Berke » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

At the risk of becoming a Hofstadter troll, (third post here and nothing but him) I want to say I just ordered "I'm a strange loop" and I can't wait it to arrive.

And oh yeah! Happy Pi day! :)
Them is never the subject of a sentence.

thret

Postby thret » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:13 am UTC

GEB is one of the few books I read as a kid that changed how I thought about everything. It is well worth reading, even if some of the concepts it delves into seem kind of obvious now. As a kid of course, it was all new and fascinating. The fact that it is written so that kids can understand it is pretty great too. Helps if you like Lewis Carrol of course.

If I was ever going to pick a list of 'must read' books, GEB would certainly be on it.

The Bloody Mary thing is lame. Ghosts? Which is more ludicrous, ghosts or horoscopes? Be afraid of the guy hiding behind the door.

Amarsir

Postby Amarsir » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:38 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Yeah, but I don't want you to expect too much from me, so some of these I skip, and some of these I put very little thought in them, just so I won't have to feel so much pressure. "Hey, I let my fans done before, and it was alright" But thanks. :)

I think you should be complain about us readers, actually. A week ago you had people signing up for the forums just to protest you. Now you're getting compliments? I know invoking Jesus is a trolling softball, but that was some pretty good misogyny here and we've given you nothing.

islesv

Postby islesv » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Too Western. :(

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

thret wrote:The Bloody Mary thing is lame. Ghosts? Which is more ludicrous, ghosts or horoscopes? Be afraid of the guy hiding behind the door.
But you can theoretically shoot the guy hiding behind the door (although it's more likely that you'll end up stabbing him with his own knife after you just managed to reach and grab it off the floor while he is trying to suffocate you) and he will die. But, with a ghost, bullets don't work. You don't know what kills the ghost (or other supernatural being). It might be something very specific and hard to find. And even when it seems like you've killed it, it still might come back. You just can't know for certain.

Here's how I see it:

psycho killer < natural disaster < non-regenerating aliens < Xenomorphs < Predators < Regenerating aliens < raptors < werewolf < vampire < witch < The Creeper < zombies < ghost < regenerating zombies
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”