0557: "Students"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dennisw

Re: "Students" Discussion

Postby dennisw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

Katieesq wrote:So many people having this dream is fascinating, but dreamers who haven't even attended traditional school experiencing this dream is even more fascinating. Is a traditional school setting linked with anxiety and fear subconsciously in all people? Is it a product of how the concept of school is developed in society? Do these dreams happen just as frequently with work-related anxieties, or no? Personally, I don't have a lot of work related dreams. Does anyone here have them?

I know dream interpretation is a suspect discourse, but I've read a bit on it out of curiosity. I don't recall reading anything on this dream, however. Is there any interpretation of it aside from the obvious? I have read about the teeth falling out dream, which someone mentioned in this thread. Interpretations say it expresses a fear of losing youth and vitality.

And on a lighter note, does anyone remember that episode of Batman the Animated Series where Batman is in a dream state and he figures it out because he can't read anything? I've heard many people report that they actually can read in dreams. Can you?

Whenever I read, write, type or do anything detailed in dreams it gets worse as I go along (or when I try to re-read something) to the point of being totally uninteliggbleehya jrentmp qudrttvlm
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ISammael

Postby ISammael » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Very funny, as usual. But a huge anticlimactic letdown after my expectations from Monday.

/Sad

Dr. Kilereren

Postby Dr. Kilereren » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Tell me about it. I still have nightmares about my crazy insane on discipline geometry teacher and not having homework and all that.

brendan

Postby brendan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

HAAA! You nailed my most recurrent dream in this comic. genius.

MuToiD_MaN

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

I think this happens to everyone who's been in college. 5 years here, still having it, get out of my head, etc.
ĉiam veti sur Duke

Mabus_Zero

Postby Mabus_Zero » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Oh god I hate this dream. And I haven't even been to college yet.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

crhickerson

Postby crhickerson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 am UTC

blink

shudder

This is, undoubtedly, my most common dream. In mine, my high school diploma has been withdrawn because I skipped one course during my freshman year. Even though I went to college and then to graduate school, I still have to take that one course. My higher degrees aren't in jeopardy ... but I still wouldn't have a high school diploma. I offer to sidestep the entire matter by taking the GED, but no ... doesn't count.

Oddly enough, I never had this dream when I was in school.

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:55 am UTC

You are the only one Randall, but I wouldn’t mind trading the class-failing for the Crisco wrestling.
dennisw wrote:It's true.* Decades have passed and I had this dream again several days ago.

* Except for the Crisco part. Crisco shortening? Because that would be really challenging.
There’s another type of Crisco?

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:14 am UTC

ADXCKGuy wrote:You are the only one Randall, but I wouldn’t mind trading the class-failing for the Crisco wrestling.
dennisw wrote:It's true.* Decades have passed and I had this dream again several days ago.

* Except for the Crisco part. Crisco shortening? Because that would be really challenging.
There’s another type of Crisco?

Yes, in particular, their oils.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

doctordave

Postby doctordave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:23 am UTC

This dream is SO pervasive... I feel like it has to be a manifestation of something hard-wired into the brain... some kind of thing where the brain is double-checking your "preparedness" while you are asleep... making sure you've done everything you need to do.

What I wonder is... what did people dream about BEFORE there was "college" upon which to project this subconscious neurosis? Did Homo erectus used to dream that they showed up for the big hunt and they had forgotten to carve themselves a new spear? "Oh no! Is Hunt today? Me have no spear! What me going to do? Wait. Is winter. Hunt is over. Me must be having dream again."

dr. dave.

there is no zero

Postby there is no zero » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 am UTC

I first had this dream the summer after ninth grade, and it concerned exams. The funny thing is that my ninth grade exams were incredibly easy.

tim314

Postby tim314 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:41 am UTC

done with Ph.D.
dream continues to occur
Randall, exit head

ProudNerd

Postby ProudNerd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 am UTC

At the end of almost every break between semesters, ever since I started college, I ALWAYS have a dream that I had been registered for a class I didn't know I was registered for, and as a result I missed all lectures and assignments and end up failing that class.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:48 am UTC

I think the dream is tied to traumatic events. My current dream of this sort ... I'm still married to my ex-wife.

Before that, it surround my first wife (deceased) and getting her to chemo/radiation treatments. I'm sitting in the office ... I left her at home ... if she doesn't get this treatment right now ...... *wakes up ... wait, she died like 4 years ago.

Before that, it was this exact dream.

Sorry Randall - I'm so old I don't even know about the Green Ranger. But that green chick from the original Star Trek series ... I'm still waiting for her call.
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 am UTC

I graduated from a medical program last year and I recently had a dream that I overslept and missed one of the major government exams that you have to pay $700 to take. I was in a blind panic for a moment that I had just wasted seven hundred dollars, and then I reminded myself that I had already taken it months ago. (And passed. Yay!) :D
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

trjsnadj

Postby trjsnadj » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am UTC

Damn, nice comic.

I've been having this dream since last year, and I'm only a high school junior right now. I also dreamed that my backpack fell off a cliff (and therefore lost every paper and assignment). I don't think I've ever woken up so sweaty.

*thinks of college*...*shudders*...

calico

Postby calico » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 am UTC

This is usually a history class for me. Man, I hate this dream.
Oh no, I've said too much; I haven't said enough

sonicspike41

Postby sonicspike41 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Fuzzy OneThree wrote:...and then I found $5....

You should go to Subway!

Phoenix '97

Postby Phoenix '97 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:33 am UTC

Yes, and it's usually 2nd semester of 1st year of undergrad (this was 6 years ago!), or I'm late for an exam, or I'm registered in a course I forgot to drop and the voluntary withdrawl date has passed.
SCSI Wuzzy was a drive. SCSI Wuzzy had ID #5. SCSI Wuzzy wasn't muzzy, was he?

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 am UTC

My dreams about these things are usually a little different.
Back when I was in school, I'd normally get them during the holidays, and for some reason even though it was holidays we were still required to attend class, and the holidays had been canceled or something...

I don't think I've had many of the "ohsnap assignment due today whaddaheck?" dreams, but since leaving school I've had plenty of dreams where I've had to go back, for some assembly or "career advice day" thing, and then sometimes to attend class. The whole time I KNOW I've graduated, but it's as though school doesn't end at graduation, you have to keep going back for more.
And by god that's frustrating :P

Marleen

Postby Marleen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am UTC

"And I thought it was only me"

embernator

Postby embernator » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am UTC

I get this nightmare all the time. About missing assignments, missing classes etc, and I'm only in my first year! Is it going to get worse? :shock:

MasterDinadan

Postby MasterDinadan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

I don't think I've EVER had a bad dream about school.

I have bad dreams about WORK all the time -- i.e. I show up really late for work or I do something really terrible and get in a lot of trouble. It's hard to get up and go to work after having a dream like that. By the way, I am still in school.
But oh yeah, I have had those dreams where I go back to high school even though I know, even in my dream mind, that I'm a college student. None of them were particularly bad.. in fact that they are quite good because I see my old friends in the dream haha.

paradox

Postby paradox » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

8 years ago, I scored badly in one of the courses. Even now, once a month, i get the dream as follows:
i am writing the final exam in that same course, even after 1.5 hrs, my paper is blank, since i dont remember anything. finally at the end of 3 hrs, i know i flunked the exam and I wake up from my sleep, with an impending sense of doom. it is always the same, like this.
all this time, i used to think I was the only one with this kinda dreams, until I saw this.

Jeehannes

Postby Jeehannes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Almost uncanny, I have a similar dream every 1 to 2 years, mostly about failing math. :?

Quendor

Postby Quendor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

I signed up for the forum just to comment on this strip. The strip is spot on.

I'm going to echo everyone else on here that said, "I thought I was the ONLY one that had this dream!"

I still have this dream, or variation, probably once or twice a year and I graduated HS in 1988. I do have the "final exam" dream but usually I will have a dream where I can't even find the class. I KNOW that the exam is today but I'll be damned if I can remember where the classroom is. Have I ever even been to that class? How could I miss the entire year? If I had my schedule I could find the class but I have no idea where that is, either!

When I wake up from these dreams I'm usually get pretty pissed. I received my BS in 1992 but these dreams are almost always in high school. So I didn't apply myself as I should have! I get it! But it was 20 years ago... let it go, me!

--Quendor

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Katieesq wrote:So many people having this dream is fascinating, but dreamers who haven't even attended traditional school experiencing this dream is even more fascinating. Is a traditional school setting linked with anxiety and fear subconsciously in all people? Is it a product of how the concept of school is developed in society? Do these dreams happen just as frequently with work-related anxieties, or no? Personally, I don't have a lot of work related dreams. Does anyone here have them?

You know, one of the biggest cliches of dreams is finding yourself in class/school, naked. I wonder if the set of people who have that dream is mostly disjoint from the group of people who get the one in this comic - what if both are expressions of anxiety in a school setting, but one focuses on peers and self-image while the other focuses on personal responsibility, expectations, and consequences.
I know dream interpretation is a suspect discourse, but I've read a bit on it out of curiosity. I don't recall reading anything on this dream, however. Is there any interpretation of it aside from the obvious? I have read about the teeth falling out dream, which someone mentioned in this thread. Interpretations say it expresses a fear of losing youth and vitality.

I believe the vast majority of dreams are about helping us come to terms with conditions and ideas that we are uncomfortable with, and in some cases they help us plan out how we would act in certain situations by ruling out bad choice paths.

In the case of the teeth-falling-out dream (which I may have gotten once or twice), for me I'm mostly concerned about the permanence of damage to teeth. I'm laissez-faire about cavities, but I don't want to chip or lose a tooth.

To throw a strange one out there, I had a dream a year or so ago that I was living in an Orwellian society, in which I was a disconnected, weak, and perpetually stressed malcontent. The majority of the dream was spent hiding from the powers that be, with perhaps (I'm fuzzy on the details) a chase scene or two. But eventually I was caught and subjected to a truth serum. Two things are quite remarkable about what happened next. First, the feeling I had at that moment in the dream - an abject inability to resist, combined with an apathy towards doing so - was so unlike anything in my concrete waking-life experience, that I suspect this may have been exactly what a real truth syrum would feel like. Second, there were no tortures or rat cages at the interrogation; on the contrary, I was more or less at peace with the totalitarian regime from that point on. I believe the purpose (or at least the effect) of this dream was to address an anxiety of the idea of non-conformism against a powerful authority - to make the point that the existence of such an evil didn't necessitate that I be involved in the conflict. I have no idea how to express this in terms applicable to real-life. Maybe it doesn't matter.

To get back on topic: The Academic dream is about juggling your school life and managing your time. Few of us are so structured as to have a rigorous schedule that maps out life as an automaton would - when you go to class, when you do homework, when you study, when you play. I at least am much more ad hoc about such matters, relying on my internal sense of failure danger to compete against my immediate desire to procrastinate. (The procrastination itself is sometimes based on the dread of confirming that an assignment is harder than I originally anticipated). Just like an artificial intelligence that evolves a better playing strategy by comparing the numerical outcomes of many many games, over time and through trial and error we humans learn to fine-tune the importance that we give to our sense of danger and pressure. I think it is this critical component of our decision-making machinery that the Academic dream latches on to.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

riddler

Postby riddler » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I got my undergrad in engineering 15 years ago. I still have this exact same dream every few months.

PTSD - Post-Traumatic Student Disorder

epiktistes

Postby epiktistes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 am UTC

You can beat this, but it takes some luck.

I had this kind of dream precisely once. I was back in university, sitting the Programming Languages paper of my finals. Amazingly, I realized this within the dream, and even more amazingly had the presence of mind to do something about it: I wrote "I have taken this paper already" on the answer sheet, got up, and walked out. The dream never came back.

stelei

Postby stelei » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:55 am UTC

I remember having had The Academic Dream (awesome name, Workaphobia) in elementary school, when I was a lot more motivated to perform well academically than I am now in university. It's been lurking in the depths of my minds ever since - in fact, it visited again the night before the comic was posted (and worst of all, it involved Organic Chemistry 2. That I am taking now. And have a midterm next week.)
I am also surprised at how many homeschooled people have had this dream. How did the human psyche evolve to reach this point where School (with a capital S, yes) is all-pervasive?

Katieesq wrote:I know dream interpretation is a suspect discourse, but I've read a bit on it out of curiosity. I don't recall reading anything on this dream, however. Is there any interpretation of it aside from the obvious? I have read about the teeth falling out dream, which someone mentioned in this thread. Interpretations say it expresses a fear of losing youth and vitality.

And on a lighter note, does anyone remember that episode of Batman the Animated Series where Batman is in a dream state and he figures it out because he can't read anything? I've heard many people report that they actually can read in dreams. Can you?

I have had the dream with teeth falling out as a teenager, and dreamt that it happened to me as a child. It was extremely unsettling to run my finger over empty gums and feel them pulsate with my heartbeat, and yet my first though was "Oh shit, this will cost a fortune to fix, won't it?"
And thank you for mentioning the in-dream reading! I find myself reading quite often in my dreams, and most of the time I am aware the words form as I read them, appearing on blank pages at exactly the speed of my reading. Once I dreamt that I turned back the pages that I had been reading, and saw that previous words stayed on the paper, and I was able to go over the same sentences again. It was fascinating, as my memory is usually much more faulty than that.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:28 am UTC

THANK YOU for posting this the day before FINALS. sheesh... :?
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

After reading this thread I actually noticed that I read after I woke up from a dream last night. It was mostly numbers though so I am not sure if I can form logical sentences in my sleep. I car read words for sure though.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

If anyone knows any studies about in-dream reading please post them. It seems to be an area of contention, at least by the anecdotes listed (and of course, Batman).
Cupcakes of HOPE!

embernator

Postby embernator » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

Katieesq wrote:And on a lighter note, does anyone remember that episode of Batman the Animated Series where Batman is in a dream state and he figures it out because he can't read anything? I've heard many people report that they actually can read in dreams. Can you?

I don't know if I can read, but I always know what things say. I can't remember a dream where I have noticed specifically that I was reading or just knew.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

The closest thing I've had to one of these school dreams is a weird one where I stood dangerously close to the road with my back turned to it while talking to someone else. Then a car drove past, dangerously close to the curb. Said car was going fast enough that it ripped my back apart, sending all of my school work and school books everywhere.

Except that dream was hilarious.

Conversation conversation conversa- *VROOM RIP SMASH*

KingKoopa

Postby KingKoopa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:Yeah I have dreams similar to this on occasion, only I'm still in school.

I've been told it's a pretty common anxiety dream (along with losing ones teeth...I have that one far more often!)

I dream that my teeth have fallen out all the time - it's never occurred to me that it was a common dream.

When I was in university I kept on dreaming that I was in school at the same time, and had been missing classes while I was away, and had the fear that I might be close to missing a deadline for submitting coursework.

mako1138

Postby mako1138 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:43 am UTC

I don't usually dream (which probably actually means that I don't remember my dreams) but I have this dream every so often. Strangely enough, it's usually a Spanish class that I somehow signed up for and never went to during the semester. I was pretty slackeriffic in undergrad, but on the other hand I never took a Spanish class.

ioresult

Postby ioresult » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:07 am UTC

That's crazy, I've graduated 10 years ago (computer engineering) and I still have this exact same dream once in a while. I thought I was alone. Thank you, now I know I'm not the only crazy guy out there.

formatc1702

Postby formatc1702 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

haha! i know this dream too well! just like the "going to school naked" one.

and my grandma (79) has this really often, too! it's like, her only ever recurring nightmare.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

I have never had this dream, then again, I've always confused "due dates" with "general guidelines on which either the project itself or a false proclamation of a distant family member's funeral must be turned in"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”