0557: "Students"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dave314

Re: "Students" Discussion

Postby dave314 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

I used to have the opposite dream when i was a grad student - that I had to go and give a final for a class that I had forgotten to teach all semester...

megalosaurus

Postby megalosaurus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:50 am UTC

In my case, many decades have passed and I am still having that dream. In my first attempt at college, that situation was happening to me in Real Life, which probably made the dreams all the more upsetting. I've also had the "nearly naked in a public place" dream frequently. Usually I become aware that this is an embarrassing situation but somehow decide that the embarrassment would only be worse if I get up and run away and try to hide somewhere, so I just try to play it cool.

rocketrat

Postby rocketrat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:06 am UTC

I only saw this comic today and had that dream last night, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Come to think of it, I did sometimes dream about turning assignments in late.
Incidentally, I ended up being on time for the flight which I mentioned I dreamed about missing. And I had to rephrase that sentence a few times to avoid ending it with a preposition.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Come to think of it, I did sometimes dream about turning assignments in late.
Incidentally, I ended up being on time for the flight which I mentioned I dreamed about missing. And I had to rephrase that sentence a few times to avoid ending it with a preposition.

Yeah, but you used "preposition" at the end of a sentence.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

bobertville

Postby bobertville » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 am UTC

I am fifty years old and left grad school twenty four years ago and still have this damn dream!!!!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:58 am UTC

dennisw wrote:Yeah, but you used "preposition" at the end of a sentence.
Dammit!
(Did I just get prepositioned? :P)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

aterimperator

Postby aterimperator » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 am UTC

This happens to me so often... So often it actually wasn't funny. First xkcd that actually hurt (well, at least without some hint of beauty in the pain). =/

magallanes

Postby magallanes » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:38 am UTC

bobertville wrote:I am fifty years old and left grad school twenty four years ago and still have this damn dream!!!!

Me too, in fact it is my first post (de-lurking) just cause this comic.

Also i have dream that i drive a truck or a bus without brakes.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

I get some weird ones, to be sure, and even the odd strange bout of perspective shifting whilst mostly awake and overly concentrating on something (like an essay or whatever - luckily i'm assignment free since '06 ... taking it one day at a time :lol: ). But never this one.

Perhaps because all my university, and later vocational college assignments and final projects were such massive pains in the balls that I regularly lost massive amounts of sleep to them, and fell asleep on top of them, and my dissertation/portfolio did go in onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnly just on time in both cases.... that they haven't been able to burn in to the bit of memory that dream things get retrieved from, or i've worn out their dream usefulness at the time i should have been dreaming about them ... but was still awake hopped up on quasi-illegal guarana-enhanced coffee and the like. Or I no longer have any fear about such things, because I've been through that, out the other side, and realised that actually it doesn't matter a crap. There are extensions, resits, do-overs, special dispensations, and if all else fails, just outright failing but still getting on with your life without necessarily having to either a/ work at burger king, b/ commit suicide.

Vince1

Postby Vince1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 am UTC

I registered just to I say I've had that dream also. I graduated about 2 years ago and once or twice a year I have that exact dream.
Before, when I was in my early college years I did dream on occasion about missed high school assignments, failing important exams, etc but that seems to have been replaced with the college dream now.
Pretty sure if I go for Masters or Phd that dream will get replaced with appropriate Phd / Masters dream....

RogerB

Postby RogerB » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 pm UTC

I'm not going to read all the posts here, so if there's been a lot of this sort of message, I apologise.

I dreamt last night that I was so disorganised that I turned up 20 mins late for one of my Physics final exams (having spent ages trying to find out which room it was in). All I had with me was the pencil with the fluffy end that Cher has in class in Clueless. Also, I had somewhere along the way lost my shoes and socks, oh and I'd forgotten every bit of Physics I ever knew.

I'm 54 years old.

Zoomie1990

Postby Zoomie1990 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

Air Force Academy grads call this PUDS: Post USAFA Dream Syndrome

Freeman

Postby Freeman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 am UTC

One more datum: I'm 35 years post-graduation and I have not had the dream for about 4 years now. I have been through dozens of crunch projects in the "real" world and it does not have the same resonance as school did.

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

I too, have had similar dreams, with minor variation from the comic.
In my dreams it's my freshman year at high school and I can't remember any of the locations or names of the classes i'm supposed to be attending, so I wander around trying to spot any room numbers that look familiar to try and jog my memory.

theRabbit

Postby theRabbit » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

I have actually had this dream a number of times, post-graduation, and it usually comes with the realization that I will have to drive from my current home back to my college town for one more term.

Last time I had the dream, I very clearly said to myself: "And since I've HAD THIS DREAM BEFORE, now it's two terms"

:?

MfK

Postby MfK » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I'm 56 years old, and I still have this dream. It might be because it actually happened to me once...

The worst version is where "they've" decided to make me start all over, with first grade -- and do it naked.

YTPrenewed

Postby YTPrenewed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 am UTC

I haven't graduated college yet but I'd notice that before AND after semesters I'd have dreams wherein I'm already in the semesters.

carolfro

Re: 0557: "Students"

Postby carolfro » Thu May 19, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

I still get this dream after 40+ years, only instead of being the student I'm the teacher!! Now that is frightening. :o

ut_icedragon

Postby ut_icedragon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

I used to have this dream seemingly nightly for a week after the end of each semester for about 3 years straight at the end of my undergrad years and into grad school.

It would always be about remembering a class I had forgotten I signed up for, and it was exam time. And each time I would wake up when I started realizing I had taken it 2 or so years ago.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

I used to have a dream that I suddenly remembered a class I was supposed to go to (an English literature class I think!) that I had been forgetting to go to all semester, so I was way behind on my coursework. I just now realized that this was only a dream I had years ago, and that it never actually happened.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

sam_i_am

Postby sam_i_am » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 pm UTC

I've definitely had this dream on multiple occasions. At least once in the past year.

and I graduated in 2010

RalphDaveWestfall

Postby RalphDaveWestfall » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm UTC

I had that recurring nightmare about being missing a lot of classes and being unprepared for a project (or test) for many years. After my company was taken over by another, I got a PhD and went into a 2nd career teaching at a university.

I viewed the cartoon recently and then had a nightmare about not being able to find the room where I was supposed to be teaching. I was frantically wandering around the campus until after the class starting time, hoping to find it before all the students left.

Could that be some kind of cosmic payback for all the assignments I gave to my students?

gd1

Postby gd1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:53 am UTC

The dream that keeps on giving.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”