0557: "Students"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wisnij

Re: "Students" Discussion

Postby wisnij » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Oh geez, I've had this exact dream too. E... except the Green Ranger part. You might want to see someone about that. But the "AUGH I forgot to attend this class at all and the final is today" bit, definitely.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:16 am UTC

So, among those of you who dream that they are flying, who flies horizontally - Superman style - and who flies vertically?

I fly vertically (mostly it's levitating in place, with moving across distances less frequently).
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:22 am UTC

I don't think I've ever had a stereotypical dream. Well, except the "having sex with somebody very attractive" dream, and even that only a couple times.

My dreams are all very surreal. The Don Quixote vs. windmills one would be too predictable for my dreams. Also, I almost always dream from a 3rd person perspective from some reason (except, again, the sex dream).

tuckels

Postby tuckels » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:25 am UTC

I don't have the stereotypical dreams (eg. naked at school) except once i had the falling dream, although i had fallen out of bed, so that could explain it.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:26 am UTC

The best is when you dream you're invisible and you go and look a
Ahem. Sorry about that.

My dreams are... odd. I think I dream in third person perspective, but I can never quite remember. Almost all of my dreams are lucid. I can control everything about them, but I start with a sort of template. It's like an open-source video game that lets you edit the code while playing combined with the ability to code subconsciously. Unfortunately, I haven't been remembering my dreams very often lately. I blame my lack of sleep on weekdays).

I enjoy controlling my dreams, though. Most of them end with me havi--
I'm just going to end there. Good day.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:27 am UTC

I have similar dreams about old jobs or high school.

I have the "falling" dream all the time. I dream myself falling off a banister or cliff, and jerk myself so hard I wake up. Generally only when I'm dozing off, though, and not in the middle of the night.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Your.Master wrote: Also, I almost always dream from a 3rd person perspective from some reason (except, again, the sex dream).

oh definitely. all my dreams seem to take place in third person. i thought that was natural although i don't really ask people about their dreams.
i forget most my dreams but some recurring ones stuck with me since childhood.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

ANeMzero

Postby ANeMzero » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:31 am UTC

Secretly Randall always wished the Green Ranger would play his flute.

skine

Postby skine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Your.Master wrote: Also, I almost always dream from a 3rd person perspective from some reason (except, again, the sex dream).

oh definitely. all my dreams seem to take place in third person. i thought that was natural although i don't really ask people about their dreams.
i forget most my dreams but some recurring ones stuck with me since childhood.

From what I remember (which isn't much), my dreams are all from the first-person perspective (that is to say through the eyes of a person), but the person whose perspective it is changes constantly, thought I'm always the one experiencing it.

I know that wasn't said very clearly or concisely, but that's why I generally forget whatever the hell happened.

eternalfrost

Postby eternalfrost » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:I am in college, and I have never ever had this dream.

you have had this dream, you simply don't recall it.

Mirablu

Postby Mirablu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:38 am UTC

I've had a dream similar to this one, I haven't started college yet, and I've been homeschooled all of my life.

It was probably among the strangest dreams I've had.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:39 am UTC

GASP. I have these types of dreams around the end of the semester all the time! (usually a couple weeks after the semester). I've never known someone IRL to have these too.

Usually involves me not knowing that classes didn't *actually* end and I had been missing the whole time. I guess it's hard for my brain to switch from "worry about everything academic" mode to "it's summer!" mode.

arachnophilia

Postby arachnophilia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 am UTC

i also have the drama geek's dream. i'm getting pushed on stage, and i don't know my lines. but it's never through any fault of my own. it's always because someone forgot to give me a script, or i got handed the part a few seconds prior, etc.

i think it's a metaphor for my life.

Jest Phulin

Postby Jest Phulin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 am UTC

This comic is true. I have spent more of my life out of school now than I have in school.

Variations:
Trying to convince my high-school staff that I don't need to take algebra, I have already passed differential equations to get my bachelor's degree. Yes, I know in my dream I have graduated college, yet I am sitting in a high-school class.

I have skipped a class for so long that I no longer know where it meets, but I'm pretty sure it meets *now*. And that a project that I know no details about is due soon. And this class is required for graduation (American History, Government, or English 101, or the like).

dennisw wrote:So, among those of you who dream that they are flying, who flies horizontally - Superman style - and who flies vertically?

Um, horizontally, but not Superman style. I lay on my back. And I'm damned if I can figure out how to control my flight. Not that someone else is controlling it: I think it would be good to go left, and I go leftish. But I'm in no way in control. A lot of "Oh, crap, I hope I don't run into those power lines. How high am I getting now? What happens if this shuts off suddenly? How do I land?" Kinda like I imagine Arthur Dent felt his first few flights.
Last edited by Jest Phulin on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The experiment has begun. One million monkeys, one million keyboards. Welcome to the world wide web.

therocket

Postby therocket » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 am UTC

Wrestling the pink ranger is more funs.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Last night I dreamed I was late for my flight home... which I need to leave for in the next half hour...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:50 am UTC

1) It's all true, I do still have this dream. 12 years out of college.

Which makes sense, it was a mentally intense time of life.

2) More often, I have a dream about forgetting to block off the "busy" parts of my schedule on the sheet at the grocery store where I worked during my high school & college years, and thus getting the "are you coming in to work today?" call when I have something else important to do.

Which also makes sense; not an intense thing, but I worked there for 7 years.

3) More often than that, I have the grocery store dream, but in the dream I'm my current age and have my current job, and had just gone back home to visit the folks.

This is my brain reminding me that I'm this >< close to being batcrap insane. (Your brain reminding you of this is the primary purpose of dreaming.)

TheBlackCat

Postby TheBlackCat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:51 am UTC

I get the "missed the class" dream too, usually around the end of the semester even though I haven't taken classes in several years. So I mentioned it to my parents, and they told me they still get those dreams as well. They are in their mid-50's. So yes, what he said is true about still getting them decades later.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 am UTC

God, I just had this dream last night. I imagined I had forgotten I'd enrolled in some class, and hadn't ever been there since the start of the term. When I woke up, I actually did a mental inventory of what classes I was taking, and how many credits each one was, just to make sure.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

ElizaW

Postby ElizaW » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 am UTC

It gets worse.

I had this dream while I was in college. It was the only reoccurring nightmare that I ever had.

Now I'm a computer science teacher at a college. Now I have dreams that I was scheduled to teach an extra course, and have forgotten for weeks, leaving my students stranded in an empty room class after class...

blalien

Postby blalien » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Holy crap, I have that dream all the time. Except it's always middle school or high school, both of which are a distant memory. Or sometimes it's a retail job I didn't remember applying for, and I missed my first week's worth of shifts.

In fact, I only ever have one of two dreams. The other is that I have a superpower, like flying or shapeshifting, but whenever that power would come in handy, or I want to show it off, it fails on me.

...I think I put too much pressure on myself.

icenine

Postby icenine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 am UTC

skine wrote:Apparently I'm the only person who exclusively has random rambling shape-shifting perspective-shifting forget-it-first-thing-in-the-morning dreams.

That's me 5% of the time. I can't even remember dreaming the rest of the time (and I like it that way).

Handie

Postby Handie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 am UTC

My dreams usually end suddenly when my dream self trips over, and I wake up lying in bed trying to get my balance...
I can't even dream coordination...

RE: the comic, I've done this many a time, and I've only just started University...
Im doomed to be tormented for the rest of my life...
Starwars MMORPG
Great fun, check it out!
http://www.swcombine.com

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Whenever I dream that I can fly, or have telekinesis, it always takes effort. This makes my dreams much more convincing to me.
Once while dreaming, I managed to have one of the 'signs your dreaming' things pop into my head: was the world high in detail, or a 'low res' hallucination, obvious when peered at real closely? As soon as I thought this, the dream world gained deep rich detail, so I was convinced it was real.
I did lucid dream once (or maybe twice, can't remember). I tried too hard to influence my environment in a 'god-like' way (I was just trying to change a plastic yellow toy truck to green, sheesh), and I woke up. :(
What I want is for all of us to lucid dream every night, and for us all to link telepathically while we sleep. An all natural 'matrix' of our own making! matrix/internet.
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

balrog0517

Postby balrog0517 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:10 am UTC

I can report that in at least some cases the college OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT dream does eventually go away.

In my case I cannot pinpoint exactly when I stopped having the dream, but it was sometime between age 35 and age 40. I haven't dwelt on the experience much (or rather the loss of the experience?), but I think perhaps that I stopped having the dream when I stopped secretly harboring thoughts of going back to school and finishing my PhD. Maybe the dream was just my subconscious's not-so-subtle way of reminding that college life was not all tea and crumpets. Or all sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll for that matter.

Maybe if you actually do get your PhD it never ends? BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!!

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 am UTC

I just took my Calculus final today. DAMN YOU RANDALL! OUT OF MY LIFE!

Also:

Jest Phulin wrote:I have skipped a class for so long that I no longer know where it meets

That happened to me. In real life. CS161.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Yeah I have dreams similar to this on occasion, only I'm still in school.

I've been told it's a pretty common anxiety dream (along with losing ones teeth...I have that one far more often!)

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Dammit, you, get out of my head. I have had this dream many times. Classic, right up there with the naked in public dream.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:38 am UTC

I had that dream last summer. There isn't a better feeling in the world, than waking up from that and realizing that finals have been over for weeks and you're a free man for two more months. Except for, hypothetically, sex. Though I need further research to say for sure.
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

ABlaqueHat

Postby ABlaqueHat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:41 am UTC

Nasaniaru wrote:Well Randall, I may not have the same dream as you, I have fantasized more than once about being with the Green Ranger. However, I called him Tommy and I was too busy playing his Dragon Dagger to even call him anything. And for clarification, yes, I am a guy. Not gay but I think its only a matter of time where I play for both sides.

I am a gay guy and I DO have that dream occasionally. But Tommy is, and will forever be, the white ranger The green ranger is Rita's thrall, thus the crisco.
Some people bring happiness wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. Oscar Wilde.

Talus

Postby Talus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Ugh, this is to applicable for comfort.
I just finished the paper was due for the Political class I forgot was tomorrow in which we are going to take a test on several subjects which I don't remember very well. It's pretty much just like this comic, except that it's real :'(
Yeah, i'm looking forward to the nightmare stage actually.

crisco11

Postby crisco11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Talk about craziness for me. My nickname is Crisco, today is my birthday, and I just got my diploma in the mail yesterday. I thought I was never going to graduate from college. WHOA.

(btw the diploma is the best birthday present ever)

choptastic

Postby choptastic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 am UTC

I finished college 5 years ago and I still have this dream frequently. Sometimes it's about high school.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:15 am UTC

ABlaqueHat wrote:I am a gay guy and I DO have that dream occasionally. But Tommy is, and will forever be, the white ranger The green ranger is Rita's thrall, thus the crisco.

Forget the white supremacy ranger, it's all about the Green.

Shakes

Postby Shakes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 am UTC

I have had this dream numerous times since college. I tend to also end up in the wrong class, can't find my locker (high school too?), and then can't remember the combo when I find it. I will then get to the right class and then the dream proceeds as the comic did. Then I can't remember what class I'm in once i' m there...

Combine this with the fact that I often confuse my dreams with real life (they are VERY vivid sometimes, to the point of months passing in one dream) and that I also happen to work in a school... That was a very confusing morning at work.

yep.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am UTC

I'm almost 30 and I wish I'd stop dreaming about junior high.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

GreatWizard

Postby GreatWizard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 am UTC

So true. My mom who got her Master's in engineering about 40 years ago, still has this nightmare where she has a test and she didn't study. So she laughs at me every time I tell her about my studies.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:36 am UTC

In most of my dreams, I go on incredibly epic adventures, that occasionally actually make some narrative sense. Only very rarely do I realise it's a dream. Lately I've been having a lot of make-out dreams... :(

But I have had this dream at least a few times. It's always such a relief to wake up.
Last edited by Joeldi on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 am UTC

Yup, I still have this dream. Though usually, it's just about being late to class in general.

GAAAAAH!

brunswikstu

Postby brunswikstu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 am UTC

I finished undergrad already and still have this dream sometimes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”