0558: "1000 Times"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
GuitarFreak
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: State College PA
Contact:

0558: "1000 Times"

Postby GuitarFreak » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Image
Alt text: And 0.002 dollars will NEVER equal 0.002 cents.

That alt text is awesome :D I lol'd harder at that than the comic.
Image
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Socks
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Socks » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Hahaha, I love the reference to Verizon's math fail :P

Sheeplauncher
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Sheeplauncher » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC

yea that alt text made me almost spit out my drink just remembering no one being able to do math at Verizon. Quite a good one.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:04 am UTC

xkcd wrote:And 0.002 dollars will NEVER equal 0.002 cents.

But they're the same if you look at them on paper-wise...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

BlastOButter42
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby BlastOButter42 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:04 am UTC

How is that dishonest? Do you really think most people don't realize that a million is 1/1000 of a billion?

Sirobin
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:15 am UTC
Location: California
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Sirobin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:04 am UTC

That's so very, very creepy...but hilarious.

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 am UTC

somehow, I knew he'd reference the verizon math thing in his alt-text
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

irishnut
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby irishnut » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 am UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:How is that dishonest? Do you really think most people don't realize that a million is 1/1000 of a billion?


i wish i had your optimism...

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:06 am UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:How is that dishonest? Do you really think most people don't realize that a million is 1/1000 of a billion?

For the same reason shops sell stuff at $19.95 instead of $20.

Because $165M looks like a significant proportion of $170G at first glance, which is all many people have, of a headline.

Sure, if you actually think about it at all, you'll realise it's less than a thousandth, but advertising for instance has long shown that many people don't need to actually think about stuff to form an opinion...
Last edited by phlip on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Flewellyn
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Flewellyn » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:06 am UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:How is that dishonest? Do you really think most people don't realize that a million is 1/1000 of a billion?


In the US? I would wager a large number of people don't know.

Regardless, the scale involved is much easier to see if you use the same units.

bsoric
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby bsoric » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:09 am UTC

--
Last edited by bsoric on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dennisw
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC
Location: Appearing pro se AND pro bono!
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby dennisw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:10 am UTC

phlip wrote:
xkcd wrote:And 0.002 dollars will NEVER equal 0.002 cents.

But they're the same if you look at them on paper-wise...

Please explain (because they're not).

bsoric wrote:I'm not sure if this is a US vs. the rest of the world thing, but isn't a billion 1 million million?

In the US, a billion is a thousand million (which is a thousand thousand).
Last edited by dennisw on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7551
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 am UTC

bsoric wrote:I'm not sure if this is a US vs. the rest of the world thing, but isn't a billion 1 million million?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Personally I prefer the long scale, if only because it means you can use the word "milliard", which is such an awesome word. "Myriad", too, is a number that doesn't get enough play for its cool name.

dennisw wrote:Please explain (because they're not).

It's my favourite quote from the Verizon math clip.
Last edited by phlip on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Nasaniaru
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:21 am UTC
Location: Norton
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Nasaniaru » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 am UTC

This just makes me think what I've been thinking for the past year or two, "People are Stupid."
Men in Black was right now that I think about it.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"
A tree planted near the water bears fruit, but only when the time is right. Its leaves won't ever wither and it brings prosperity to all.

Move forward and continue to move forward. Do not come to a standstill. This is my Priority One!

scyang
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby scyang » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 am UTC

hear, hear.

bsoric
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby bsoric » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 am UTC

--
Last edited by bsoric on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jedifreak
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:28 pm UTC
Location: In a Galaxy Far Far Away.

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Jedifreak » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Perhaps we should send this to every news company. Added bonus: If thy start whining about it on the air, XKCD is going to get millions of new readers.
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Image

User avatar
dennisw
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC
Location: Appearing pro se AND pro bono!
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby dennisw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 am UTC

phlip wrote:
dennisw wrote:Please explain (because they're not).

It's my favourite quote from the Verizon math clip.

Ahhh, while I got the reference in the comic's title text immediately, it's been quite a while since I listened to the recording.
Last edited by dennisw on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 am UTC

The dishonest part isn't "people think a billion = a million", it's "people see 165 and 170 and think 'oh, good' before/without noticing the different units."
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

gomerwerle
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby gomerwerle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 am UTC

I found this comic true in the sense that the media doesn't fairly portray the scale of 1 million dollars to 1 billion. However, just because the bonuses were a small percentile of the bailout funds does not make this a small matter. The bonuses, while legal, were greedy in nature and undeserved. I'm not trying to imply the creator supports the bonuses, but let us not defend the AIG executives whilst we mock the media. (And the media do deserve to be mocked, don't ge me wrong.)

User avatar
dennisw
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC
Location: Appearing pro se AND pro bono!
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby dennisw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:22 am UTC

phlip wrote:
bsoric wrote:I'm not sure if this is a US vs. the rest of the world thing, but isn't a billion 1 million million?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Personally I prefer the long scale, if only because it means you can use the word "milliard", which is such an awesome word. "Myriad", too, is a number that doesn't get enough play for its cool name.

I really like "billiard" - it's a number that represents whatever amount you can hustle. <snicker> So it'd be $165 Billiard.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

atomfullerene
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby atomfullerene » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Rather unsurprisingly, I was just thinking about this very topic. And as the above poster said, the fact that the bonuses are a small fraction of the total money involved doesn't mean they aren't a foolish waste of money. But...they don't account for the vast majority of money being spent, and it would be bad to ignore what might be going on with the rest because we only think about the bonuses.

tudzax1
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby tudzax1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 am UTC

0.002 dollars? Didn't know what that was supposed to mean until I read all the Verizon comments. I just thought you were putting your 1/10th of two cents worth in.
Last edited by tudzax1 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

toysbfun
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:14 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby toysbfun » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 am UTC

There's still the issue of, "If you ran your company into the ground and now require a bailout to avoid crashing the world economy, you do not deserve any sort of bonus."

coredumperror
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby coredumperror » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Nasaniaru wrote:"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals"


Just quoting this for truth. It's my favorite film line of all time because it's so very, sadly true.

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby achan1058 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:31 am UTC

toysbfun wrote:There's still the issue of, "If you ran your company into the ground and now require a bailout to avoid crashing the world economy, you do not deserve any sort of bonus."
This line is gold. I agree 100%, especially when a 165M bonus is still a very large sum of money. I would be very, very happy if I have 1/100 of it. Of course, another issue is how many people are the bonuses being paid to?

Storm
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Storm » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:34 am UTC

O yay a "get out my head Randall" comic! I just watched the math fail today and was thinking of this in context of the media. On the other hand 165 million is still 165 million.
Edit: get out of my head achan1058
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

onepopcornman
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby onepopcornman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 am UTC

A good point to note.

Median Personal Income in US: 23,535 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States)
Bonus Packages: 165,000,000

Agreed. What makes these bonuses so galling is how incredibly undeserved they are.

Blurgle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Blurgle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 am UTC

ARGH today's comic is so incredibly, stupidly wrong. Does the writer have Asperger's or is he just that tuned out?

Most people very well understand that the bonuses are not the whole of the bailout. This everyone understands. What they do not understand is why these greedy, selfish IDIOTS are getting even a penny in bonuses. They didn't even earn their wages! Accepting one thin dime of bonus would be dishonest for executives who ruined an economy because of their own personal selfish greed.

They should be forced to give back their salaries AND their bonuses for the past ten years for what they have done. If they don't have the money? Throw them in the crappiest, poorest jail in the country and let them eat maggot-ridden gruel for the rest of their lives.

cpp789
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 am UTC
Location: Near Chicago

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby cpp789 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 am UTC

My English teacher was trying to explain this to us, saying "That's only 1/1000 of the money they were given. It's as if I gave you 100 dollars and then got angry at you for dropping a penny!" (He still has some issues in math)

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am UTC

toysbfun wrote:There's still the issue of, "If you ran your company into the ground and now require a bailout to avoid crashing the world economy, you do not deserve any sort of bonus."

Yeah... As much as the media needs to be ripped a new one for their style of reporting sometimes, I'm having a hard time justifying using this as the example. For this reason plus what BlastOButter said. It's not that people don't realize the scale; it's that once you get into the realm of any number that has "-illion" in it, the first impression people get is it's a huge fucking number, which in this case is really all anyone needs to know,

You know what? No. Just no. I know this has become an ironic catchphrase here, but NOT COOL, NOT FUNNY, NOT A GOOD COMIC. What's next, a comic making fun of MSNBC for making a big deal about Bayer selling drugs tainted with HIV, saying that only one in however-many doses contained the virus? Again: NOT COOL, NOT FUNNY, NOT A GOOD COMIC, and NOT A SMART CARTOONIST.
Last edited by Steve the Pocket on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
Verad
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Verad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:43 am UTC

atomfullerene wrote:Rather unsurprisingly, I was just thinking about this very topic. And as the above poster said, the fact that the bonuses are a small fraction of the total money involved doesn't mean they aren't a foolish waste of money. But...they don't account for the vast majority of money being spent, and it would be bad to ignore what might be going on with the rest because we only think about the bonuses.


This is the core of what the comic is getting at [IMHO]. What the media is doing is throwing up a headline that gets people riled up over one thing (the bonuses), rather than the bigger picture (the bailout itself). It is a dishonest slight of hand that gets people to look in the wrong direction.

Of course, there's still the issue of "Why should a company that failed in a more epic manner than any company in history be allowed to continue operation?"

User avatar
icenine
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:51 am UTC
Location: Singapore

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby icenine » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I'm even more annoyed that they paid big money to the people who left anyway.

e1000
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby e1000 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:48 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
toysbfun wrote:There's still the issue of, "If you ran your company into the ground and now require a bailout to avoid crashing the world economy, you do not deserve any sort of bonus."
This line is gold. I agree 100%, especially when a 165M bonus is still a very large sum of money. I would be very, very happy if I have 1/100 of it. Of course, another issue is how many people are the bonuses being paid to?



If you ran your company into the ground, is that justification to withhold payment from what employees you have left? Banking employees usually get marginal pay throughout the year, but stick around for the big bonuses at the end of the year. If we don't allow these bonuses to get paid, AIG may lose most of its productive employees.

The loss of AIG's most productive employees may, or may not be a bad thing; I'd rather have seen the whole thing fail from the get-go than the government intervene, but now its a "you bought it, don't break it" kinda deal. They need to just let the thing go and cross their fingers, rather than purposefully attempting to cripple the company.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:52 am UTC

I swear to God I saw a network that actually showed the numbers as $170 billion and $165 billion. SHIT.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
TheHand
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby TheHand » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Gah... yeah. Not good to think about indeed, what with what's been in the news lately.

Roivas
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Roivas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 am UTC

I was going to mention that we're more upset that these higher ups get government money [IE yours, mine, everyone's] for making bad business decisions. Then they take said money and instead of shoring up their business they give themselves a pay raise.

I think if we started taxing stupidity we'd eliminate the need for any other tax.

The company I work for froze wages for everyone for the entire year. The price of anything save gas [and I don't own a car] is going up. Fuck these rich bastards who are closing their wallets after dipping into ours.



Still the webcomic was pretty funny, goddamn media.

nweis
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby nweis » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:10 am UTC

On the subject of Verizon's math...

http://xkcd.com/verizon/

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:36 am UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:13 am UTC

What we could do to avoid this problem is to not have use the words "million" or "billion" or "trillion", but instead say $170,000,000,000 as "one-hundred-and-seventy zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero zero dollars." Or at least have it displaced in numerical form (170,000,000,000 instead of "170 billion").

And I also like how people wave off all the earmarks going towards worthless things because "It's less than 2% of the total spending money." Who cares how much it is? It's still there! And 2% of a billion dollars--er, sorry--$1,000,000,000 is still $20,000,000. That's more than most Americans will make in their lifetime. Now multiply that by 170. That's some money that doesn't need to be spent. I read somewhere that for every $1,000,000,000 spent by government, that's about $8 out of YOUR pocket. Now, let's see...$410,000,000,000 Omnibus plus....$787,000,000,000 Stimulus....Carry the one...$9,576 in his first three months of YOUR money that he has spent! That can get you a new car! Pay for your own health insurance that he's so keen on you getting! A lot of groceries!

Pretty much, I think that debt to counteract debt is NOT the solution. You know more than the government when it comes to spending your money.

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
-- Voltaire
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Amarsir
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Re: "1000 Times" discussion

Postby Amarsir » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:16 am UTC

I'm happy if they just put them side by side with the correct terms. Too many won't even mention both in the same story.

And I think visually it shows better this way. But auditorily you can get people to recognize Billion vs Million. Where if you say "One hundred sixty-five millon" and "one hundred seventy thousand million", you go from people being confused to outright giving up. "Thousand million" is just such an awkward phrase to someone who's already lost.

To her credit, I heard Patty Ann Browne on FoxNews read it as "billion with a 'B'" which I think is the best way to emphasize.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests