0559: "No Pun Intended"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: "No Pun Intended" Discussion

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:17 am UTC

I believed that 'dammit' was a way of saying 'damn it' without saying 'damn it'. Cussing, basically. That's my .002 cents worth.

Back to the main point of the comic, I'm going to enjoy applying that to future conversations - no pun intended.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:That's my .002 cents worth.

win.

I've always just said "dammit"...just looks more correct. Although I guess "damn it" would probably be accepted as well.
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:26 am UTC

The respective hits on google searches of "damnit", "dammit", "damn it", or whatever are irrelevant.

Factual correctness is not decided by a majority; although how a particular word is spelt is certainly variable and not an immutable fact, the etymology of the phrase stems from "damn it", producing the contraction of "damnit".

Consequently, while Randal may not strictly speaking be wrong saying "dammit" as the correct spelling is not entirely objective, "damnit" is perfectly valid and historically speaking, more valid.

Also, I suspect that "dammit" is the result of lazy Americans not able to spell (such as Blink 182). Just throwing that out there

Meng Bomin

Postby Meng Bomin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I'm surprised at the consternation over dammit. To me, dammit and damn it are interchangeable, though I suspect that if I were to type it, it would be dammit...which is what I initially learned. Is there any relation between this and the losers who say "an historic" because they never learned that the a/an dichotomy was phonetically-based, not spelling-based?

alias.exe

Postby alias.exe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 am UTC

I always get excited when a comic begins with "My Hobby:". Today was no exception, I love it :)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Duncan wrote:Factual correctness is not decided by a majority [...]

In most cases: you are correct. However, natural language (especially a language like English with no central authority) is one of the few exceptions... where correctness (of both spelling and definitions) is exactly decided by majority rule, and doesn't always match either logic or etymology.

Meng Bomin wrote:Is there any relation between this and the losers who say "an historic" because the never learned that the a/an dichotomy was phonetically-based, not spelling-based?

How about the losers who never learned that there are accents that pronounce "historic" with a silent "h"?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

dmd53

Postby dmd53 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 am UTC

A person of baser taste than I might point out that the use of "internalized" and "girlfriend" could be construed as a double entendre, which, while not strictly a pun, operates on similar grammatical principles.

That said, there are very few phrases that cannot be interpreted in some indecorous way; as a corollary, it is a hobby of mine to apply "that's what she said" jokes to those utterances in some kind of meta-commentary on the state of modern humour. On reflection, this may be why no-one talks to me much these days.

P.S. This being my first post on these illustrious forums (long time listener, first time caller and all that), I apologise if this post in some way violates the terms of use regarding sexual content, though I have tried to be delicate in the handling of such a sensitive area, pun fully intended.

P.P.S. On a similar subject as the "dammit" discussion, the literarily minded should compare the the use of "goddam" versus "god damn" in Salinger's Catcher in the Rye; perhaps there is also a discrepancy in the intensity and informality of use between "dammit", "damnit", and "damn it" that is worthy of note.

NorthernFalcon

Postby NorthernFalcon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:59 am UTC

It took me way, WAY too long to get the sexual pun in this week's comic.

Malbert

Postby Malbert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:11 am UTC

dammit now a bunch of people will be doing this and it will be really annoying, but they will only see it as funny.
Don't get me wrong, this was hilarious, but now people will beat this horse, and it will die, and they will just keep on beating.
The tasty baconplague: best plague ever.

Splooge169

Postby Splooge169 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Insanity's Partner wrote:
List of terrible geology puns:

"You breccia."
"Of quartz you may."
"Bull schist."
"You better calm down. You're started to look like a real ash hole. Wouldn't want you going all rhyolitic on us."

Really, really terrible geology puns:
*while holding pencil* "I think you're not getting the point. Graphite is a great resource."
Geology Rocks!
*while holding up a sample of quarts* "That's some nice cleavage you've got going on there."
"Hey. Don't take it for granite."
"That guy's pretty wacke."
"It's not my fault, it's your fault!"

How gneiss.

Alcnor

Postby Alcnor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:33 am UTC

This isn't very punny.

No pun intended.

Dammit, damnit, dam it, damn it, I promised myself I wouldn't give into the temptation... of both repeatedly saying "damn it" (the ORIGINAL phrase) with all of the debatable spellings or say "no pun intended."

Ah, well. My work's done here.

doctorb

Postby doctorb » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 am UTC

I just did a quick survey of my friends on the puns in this thread to give a rough estimate of how many puns of each set of ten actually made someone laugh.

Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

atimholt

Postby atimholt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 am UTC

dmd53 wrote:A person of baser taste than I might point out that the use of "internalized" and "girlfriend" could be construed as a double entendre, which, while not strictly a pun, operates on similar grammatical principles.

That said, there are very few phrases that cannot be interpreted in some indecorous way; as a corollary, it is a hobby of mine to apply "that's what she said" jokes to those utterances in some kind of meta-commentary on the state of modern humour. On reflection, this may be why no-one talks to me much these days.

That's what she said.
No pun intended.
Wait...

And everyone knows it's spelled "Excuse me, I'm upset right now."
Totally random totally awesome SF quote:
Jorane Sutt put the tips of carefully-manicured fingers together and said, "It's something of a puzzle. In fact--and this is in the strictest confidence--it may be another one of Hari Seldon's crises."

phantom16

Postby phantom16 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:40 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:Edit: my research is going nowhere. Going by search result counts won't help us since Blink 182's spelling throws that off. Looks like the official way of looking at it is that neither are correct, and it should be "damn it" or "dam it", depending on whether you stubbed your toe or are interested in hydroelectricity.

haha, that was pretty good

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 am UTC

From the cambridge advanced learner's dictionary ...
Definition
damn (EXPRESSION)
exclamation (ALSO damn it or dammit) INFORMAL
an expression of anger or annoyance:
Damn, I've spilt coffee down my blouse!

Rather than using "no pun intended", I often add "said the actress to the bishop" or "said the archbishop to the priestess" to otherwise innocuous statements.

SEE

Postby SEE » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 am UTC

Duncan wrote:"damnit" is perfectly valid and historically speaking, more valid.

Um, no, it isn't. There's a reason why dammit has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary and damnit doesn't, and it has nothing to do with Blink 182 or American laziness. It has everything to do with the fact that it's correctly spelled dammit. There was never any written form damnit until well after dammit was the established standard written form. Damnit it is a mistaken hypercorrection of dammit in the same way that 'til started as a mistaken hypercorrection of till (based on the similar ahistorical belief that till was a derivative of until). If and when damnit becomes acceptable use, it will be only because it has been popularly misused into being correct, much like 'til has been.

tudzax1

Postby tudzax1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 am UTC

Good for you man, actual citations from authority.

Damn it is certainly correct, if the M count in the alternative keeps you awake at nights.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:25 am UTC

I like to say dam knit.
No fun intended.
Or, yes, actually, there is. Knitting is fun.

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 am UTC

Comic.
Is.
Awesome.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 am UTC

Iluvatar wrote:I've always used damnit -dammit just seems like a tongue-in-cheek spelling like sammich. I will now, of course, go research this instead of working or going to sleep.

Edit: my research is going nowhere. Going by search result counts won't help us since Blink 182's spelling throws that off. Looks like the official way of looking at it is that neither are correct, and it should be "damn it" or "dam it", depending on whether you stubbed your toe or are interested in hydroelectricity.

Sudo get me a sammich, dammit!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

csours

Postby csours » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:09 am UTC

"Like spelling 'dammit' correctly -- with two m's -- it's a troll that works best on the most literate."

^^ I see what you did there.

hattiel

Postby hattiel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:14 am UTC

This is an old joke.

Fry and Laurie (in 'a bit of fry and laurie') add "if you'll pardon the pun" to punless sentences.

exoteric

Postby exoteric » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 am UTC

The alt-text is certainly more amusing when taken in the context of this forum discussion. YHBT.

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am UTC

SEE wrote:There's a reason why dammit has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary and damnit doesn't

Don't know where you get your sources, but in my research, the Oxford English Dictionary was the only main dictionary that didn't have an entry for "dammit".

Oxford Dictionary: http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view= ... type=exact
no results

Cambridge Dictionary: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD
no entry for "dammit", but referenced alongside "damn it" in the definition for "damn"

Dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dammit
entry for "dammit", based on Random House Dictionary

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dammit
"dammit" can be found in the unabridged dictionary

As for "damnit", it's not in any dictionary, and is clearly incorrect. It's either "damn it" (correct spelling) or "dammit" (eye dialect contraction, referenced somewhere in the forum and by the Random House Dictionary to date back to 1905-1910). "damnit" doesn't make any sense, it's just missing a space.

An the ultimate source: Firefox spellchecker underlines "damnit", but not "dammit" :)
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Postby 6453893 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 am UTC

joee wrote:Add a link and commentary please

If I tried that on my friends, they'd come up with something dirty, regardless of how innocent the sentence was...

My friends and I do that to each other. We see if we can make something dirty by only changing the emphasis.

"Oh, you COMPLETED the ESSAY huh? I have an ESSAY to COMPLETE tonight if all goes well."

KyrieEleison

Postby KyrieEleison » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 am UTC

Okay, after I post this, I'll be handing in my English degree, but it's late and I should be in bed, so is there a pun in this comic or isn't there?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:23 am UTC

Actually if you look carefully there are ten puns in there. I would have thought at least one of them would have jumped out at you, but it appears no pun intended.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

EvilHankVenture

Postby EvilHankVenture » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 am UTC

That's one of the best blink 182 songs off that album whether its spelled correctly or not

martin878

Postby martin878 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 am UTC

doctorb wrote:I just did a quick survey of my friends on the puns in this thread to give a rough estimate of how many puns of each set of ten actually made someone laugh.

Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

Red Hal wrote:Actually if you look carefully there are ten puns in there. I would have thought at least one of them would have jumped out at you, but it appears no pun intended.

Well done for trying though.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 am UTC

Why thank you martin878!
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Majutsukai

Postby Majutsukai » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am UTC

suso wrote:I never really got the point of saying "no pun intended". I mean, if you were aware of your pun enough to say that, then obviously you intended to make the pun, right?

Uh... how about when you realize mid-sentence that you made an accidental pun?

I'm not even being hypothetical; that's pretty much the entire purpose of the phrase.

Evilagram

Postby Evilagram » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:51 am UTC

DAMMIT! I got trolled!

I originally spelled it with two Ms, but then I saw people doin' it 'rong and began going, "DAMNIT!"

Julien

Postby Julien » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:57 am UTC

I do the same kind of things from time to time. I like puzzling people, it's one of the best things in life.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

Soultaker~

Postby Soultaker~ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Another "My Hobby" comic! Splendid! No pun intended.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Kimarie

Postby Kimarie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

I agree with the "sammich" comment, that's what it reminds me of too. It's two words, not a question of spelling. I also agree that no one cares if your puns were intended. If you're talking to someone so dumb that they wouldn't catch the pun if you didn't point it out, they're probably going to have to think about it for a while to get it. Why torture the idiot? On the other hand, torturing the literate with trying to figure out the non-existent pun, that just sounds like good fun to me.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

hattiel wrote:This is an old joke.

Fry and Laurie (in 'a bit of fry and laurie') add "if you'll pardon the pun" to punless sentences.

I was hoping somebody would spot that.
"How are you doing, Stephen? Pardon the pun."
"There was no pun Hugh."
"Oh wasn't there? I'm sorry."
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Meng Bomin

Postby Meng Bomin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Meng Bomin wrote:Is there any relation between this and the losers who say "an historic" because the never learned that the a/an dichotomy was phonetically-based, not spelling-based?

How about the losers who never learned that there are accents that pronounce "historic" with a silent "h"?[/quote]

I'm talking about losers with standard American accents.

Kegetti

Postby Kegetti » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Alcnor wrote:Dammit, damnit, dam it, damn it, I promised myself I wouldn't give into the temptation... of both repeatedly saying "damn it" (the ORIGINAL phrase) with all of the debatable spellings or say "no pun intended."

Ah, well. My work's done here.

So true. I thought I wasn't this bad in falling to these.

But yeah, I do make accidental puns sometimes, and don't like it. I guess I might say no pun intended if I ever made an accidental pun in English, seems unlikely though.

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

iain_benson wrote:Rather than using "no pun intended", I often add "said the actress to the bishop" or "said the archbishop to the priestess" to otherwise innocuous statements.

The best thing to append is "according to the prophesy."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”