0562: "Parking"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TomBot

Re: "Parking" Discussion

Postby TomBot » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Wow, what are the chances I just saw this a few days ago: http://leenks.com/gallery803-30.htm

TAC

Postby TAC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:08 am UTC

Please make this into stickers and put them into the store. Then we can stick them to offending cars

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:10 am UTC

joee wrote:
Edit: And people who park crooked, making you park crooked as well so you can open your doors. Then you come back and they've gone, so everyone thinks you're the douche who couldn't park properly.

Yeah, I was with my mother and her boyfriend yesterday, and he was flipping a bitch about some guy who was parked across two spaces, and I had to remind him that it might not have been his fault...It was snowing insanely the day before, but it was pretty warm the day after. I figured the drift kind of forced him to park over, and then enough of it melted to make him look like he parked across two for no reason.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

RevZafod

Postby RevZafod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 am UTC

That's why I park on the outer fringes [in one space] since I got my Nissan GT-R. Admirers get a full 360 look, and I get more exercise walking in. No need to be a jerk preventing door dings, especially on my inheritance-money car at 68. And I get to talk about the car to lots of people who stop to look and photograph it.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:54 am UTC

dennisw wrote:I'm going to print copies of this comic and start leaving them on windshields

Must do.
Sparrow15 wrote:When I was in France, I saw two cars parked in some place they weren't supposed to be. Both were *covered* in cling-wrap, and had notes taped to them saying, in french, "I parked like a shit, so I learned my lesson." It was epic.

Also must do (in french, just to see the guy struggle to read it)

I am so doing this in my neighborhood.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

booyabazooka

Postby booyabazooka » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Insanity's Partner wrote:…he was flipping a bitch about some guy…

Hmm... I've always used "flipping a bitch" to refer to making a (usually illegal) u-turn.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:20 am UTC

I've always wished that giant chain saws would randomly emerge from the ground under those painted strips randomly and carve up cars parked across the lines.
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

booyabazooka

Postby booyabazooka » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Firnagzen wrote:I've always wished that giant chain saws would randomly emerge from the ground under those painted strips randomly and carve up cars parked across the lines.

I've often wished my parking garage functioned more like the first challenge guarding the Holy Grail. Big circular saws in the ground and walls. Only the penitant shall park.

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 am UTC

This one now sits on the notice board in our staffroom. We have no lines in the parking lot, and a lot of students who cant drive properly. The end result is that most of the cars are parked with very generous spaces between them, often almost but not quite enough space for another car to fit in.

I think it is one of the better in quite a while.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Utter win!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe :P

http://www.instantrimshot.com/
Made my day this far.

I did this instead.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/ ... 009133.jpg

plin25

Postby plin25 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Sparrow15 wrote:When I was in France, I saw two cars parked in some place they weren't supposed to be. Both were *covered* in cling-wrap, and had notes taped to them saying, in french, "I parked like a shit, so I learned my lesson." It was epic.

Also must do (in french, just to see the guy struggle to read it)

I am so doing this in my neighborhood.[/quote]

correct me if I'm wrong...

"Je me suis garé comme une merde, donc j'ai appris ma leçon."
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ }<((((((º>

coredumperror

Postby coredumperror » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Oh I totally love BHG, though I prefer the "class-hole" moniker that he gave himself.

This comic is made even greater by the fact that BHG mentioned this act quite some time ago.

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:12 am UTC

KBlack wrote:I bet this is happening in front of a starbucks (wink wink).

I had no idea what you meant by that. 496

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:15 am UTC

One of my favorite comics ever! I'm going to print it off along with the youparklikeanasshole.com tickets and keep them in my car just in case. ;)

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 am UTC

westrim wrote:I would have enjoyed this comic more if I hadn't wondered how long it took him to cut it with just a blow torch, and how he moved it into place.
The world doesn't actually make sense. Science doesn't work.
It might have worked better if a Jedi had done it instead of black hat guy (or black hat just whipped out a lightsaber), and the mouseover said something about that (reason #151 I wish I had a frikkin lightsaber, or something).
I guess you're still not getting this.

I must say, though disinclined to print this out (because I'm lazy) I expect that I'll soon wish I had done so, and frantically search for an internet cafe with a printer so I may leave this on someone's windshield.

I think having the alt text printed on the back of the comic strip would be the best equivalent of a mouse over.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

sonicspike41

Postby sonicspike41 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Zenexer wrote:My question: how do you suppose he moved the other half of the car?

My guess? Science.

It works, bitches!

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:00 am UTC

sonicspike41 wrote:
Spacemilk wrote:
Zenexer wrote:My question: how do you suppose he moved the other half of the car?

My guess? Science.

It works, bitches!

No, it doesn't. No one told you because you're so cute when you get into something.

See? This post was actually written yesterday. But the timestamp on it will not say so. And it was typed without a keyboard.

...You're still not getting this, are you?
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

patriotfan09

Postby patriotfan09 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:03 am UTC

joee wrote:Image

Link: http://xkcd.com/562/

Alt: Police reported three dozen cheerful bystanders, yet no one claims to have seen who did it.

Hahaha - the number of times I've been tempted to do this. Even worse are people who do this with parallel parking spots

Edit: And people who park crooked, making you park crooked as well so you can open your doors. Then you come back and they've gone, so everyone thinks you're the douche who couldn't park properly.

One of my favorites. BHG = Epic Win

KlaymenDK

Postby KlaymenDK » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:10 am UTC

dennisw wrote:I'm going to print copies of this comic and start leaving them on windshields

This is EXACTLY what I thought. Immediately. I see this so often, and on numerous occasions I have already left hand-written notes saying "nice parking, dude" and such. But why insult people with substance if you can insult them with style, right?

It's also why I just registered on the forum, to leave this comment that you beat me to.

Hey, Randall, you should sell this at the online store as a tear-off pad!

patriotfan09

Postby patriotfan09 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 am UTC

KlaymenDK wrote:

This is EXACTLY what I thought. Immediately. I see this so often, and on numerous occasions I have already left hand-written notes saying "nice parking, dude" and such. But why insult people with substance if you can insult them with style, right?

It's also why I just registered on the forum, to leave this comment that you beat me to.

Hey, Randall, you should sell this at the online store as a tear-off pad!

Haha, nice idea.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 am UTC

coredumperror wrote:This comic is made even greater by the fact that BHG mentioned this act quite some time ago.
That really doesn't count as "completely disassembled" for me.

Wildcard wrote:
sonicspike41 wrote:
Spacemilk wrote:
My guess? Science.
It works, bitches!
No, it doesn't. No one told you because you're so cute when you get into something.See? This post was actually written yesterday. But the timestamp on it will not say so. And it was typed without a keyboard.
...You're still not getting this, are you?
And this post was written tomorrow.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 am UTC

I need to send that to my mom; she goes into a fit when someone's double-parked and she needs a slot. :P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

random5

Postby random5 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am UTC

Awesome! I feel like keying cars parked like that all the time but don't because I can never be sure they didn't have to park like that because there was some moron next to them before (This happens a lot at one uni car park which has no lines and is especially frustrating). The one time I found someone blatantly parked in the road (not even a park) and they were still there when I went past again 2 hours later I left a nice squiggly down their drivers side :twisted:

ellaruby

Postby ellaruby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 am UTC

Im just going to throw this out there.
I think im having an affair with alt text.

Gero

Postby Gero » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:03 am UTC

xuth wrote:I would think that a saws-all or an angle grinder would work far more efficiently than a cutting torch, but maybe I'm over thinking the problem.

I'm guessing efficiency wasn't really the point. It was all about the passion that went into the job and that made no amount of trouble too much.

You know what? I hate the people who make the parking spaces so small more. They could fit one more car in the same space if they made all the parking diagonal and nobody would get dinged by doors. Unmarked parking spaces are the worst, especially if the space is just smaller than what one more car will need. There should be a minimum width enforced by law!

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Not quite the same as the strip, but I do have a story of my own. A few weeks ago, I parked my car in a garage with a number of compact "Compact" stalls that are adjacent to the garage walls. I'd positioned my car too close to a wall in on the driver's side in one such stall, so I was forced to exit on the passenger's side, but a Mazda similar to my Honda Civic pulled in just before I got out. I was still able to get out through the door, but I decided to drop the rear seats so I could get in through the trunk if necessary, since I didn't want to have to go back in and reposition the car. When I came back a few hours later, the Mazda had been replaced by a Chevrolet Tahoe that barely fit within the stall, and my worries were confirmed.

Who the hell tries to fit a full-size SUV in a compact stall anyway?
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Man, I'm so tempted to do that... I think I might just do that. With a little note on the bottom saying "Take note, Douchebag" or such.

I'll have a nice little pile of the notes sitting in my glovebox for every time I see this.
I keep wanting to leave notes but I never have a pen and paper handy.

Except for one time at a restaurant, some dungheap had his car straight... but nearly a whole meter into the "empty" car space. The restaurant had only 2 parking spaces. So, I managed to squeeze my car right in, mounting the curb just a little bit, and left a nasty little note on his windscreen.

I was freaking a little bit after that they'd damage my car after, since we were the only other people in the restaurant and they left first...

EDIT:
Haha I just remembered seeing one of those smart cars (you know, the really really tiny ones, half the size of a normal car if not smaller), parked over two spaces even more crooked than in the comic. I mean come on, they can barely take up any room in a single space, what the hell are they doing taking up 2? Good lawd. The worst part? I saw the car parked the same way on two more separate occasions in the same carpark.

Julien

Postby Julien » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:35 am UTC

How many times I wish I did it ! Or at least, stabbing the tires...
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

tgape

Postby tgape » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Well, if somehow his other methods failed to work, there were always the three dozen bystanders...
Last edited by tgape on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cutiepie

Postby Cutiepie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Nice!

Wearyman

Postby Wearyman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

I've keyed more than one car that was blatantly parked across multiple spaces.

Of course, only cars that are CLEARLY intentionally parked that way.

(IE: Not just slightly over the line or crowding one side, but WAY over the line with 1/2 the car in one spot and 1/2 the car in another. I'm also much more forgiving during winter when it's often hard to see the lines.)

But yeah, more than one car has had to have a full paint job due to my keys or a small nearby stone.

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Wearyman wrote:I've keyed more than one car that was blatantly parked across multiple spaces.

Of course, only cars that are CLEARLY intentionally parked that way.

(IE: Not just slightly over the line or crowding one side, but WAY over the line with 1/2 the car in one spot and 1/2 the car in another. I'm also much more forgiving during winter when it's often hard to see the lines.)

But yeah, more than one car has had to have a full paint job due to my keys or a small nearby stone.

I'd do that but I'm a bit of a pussy, worried that they'd either see me (could easily get around that by making sure no one is around), or that they'd assume it was the car parked next to them (mine), and take it out on my car. Assuming I parked next to them, of course.

Another alternative would be to paint some message on their front/rear windows about their extraordinary parking prowess.

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

coredumperror wrote:This comic is made even greater by the fact that BHG mentioned this act quite some time ago.

:shock:

How did I miss that?!

All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Gregoreo

Postby Gregoreo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Yet another use for the "Parking" strip: Proof that a triangle's [imath]area =(1/2) * base * height[/imath].

GlennX

Postby GlennX » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Once, while looking for a space, I noticed a brand new Lotus parked exactly in the middle of two spaces. I pictured the smug driver thinking to himself "this is entirely reasonable, my car must not get scratched" and started getting a little angry. Luckily these were generous spaces and I was driving one of the narrowest cars ever made, a Suzuki Jeep. I squeezed into the gap and left parked only a couple of inches from his driver's door and the passenger door of the car one and a half spaces to the right. I had to climb out the back of the car to leave. Sadly I missed seeing the owner have to squeeze in from the passenger side, not easy in a Lotus Elise but when I got back he had managed it somehow.

dantealiegri

Postby dantealiegri » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

So I like how people are wondering how he moved the offending part of the car over.
Really people, if he's going to take a welder to the car, I'm sure he can jack up the side.

Now everyone hates people that park big cars in small spaces, and in general can't park.
But what *I* really hate is the people that paint the damn lines too close so they can squeeze one more space in.
I hate driving a small to average sized car and parking somewhere where my car barely fits.

Seriously folks, better to make spaces that don't make people even more stressed, and just realize that maybe there needs to be another public parking place, or they need to add a level or two. Charge people a dollar extra for a year or something. It will be worth the lack of frustration. Seriously. Just tell people why you're doing it.

plod

Postby plod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

We have a problem with lack of parking space at college, and every day there is a motorbike parked in a car space, despite the fact that there is an area right by the door especially for bikes, but still he parks there. We are so tempted just to pick the bike up and dump it on the grass, what a dick.

Klvino

Postby Klvino » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

It's been some years, but ran into this situation. Parked in the spot next to them and kicked the car door to dent it in. I was in my friends car, it was dented up in the process, never got to borrow it again.
I have traveled from 1977 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

Mmmmm. Vengeance. Sweet delicious vengeance with candy sprinkles and whipped cream.

Oops, I convolved vengeance, kinky sex, and dessert together. My strong bad :oops:
Huh? What?

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Situations like this are why they need to enact a "The Asshole Had It Coming" law, where acts of revenge against obvious acts of complete asshattery would be decriminalized. Obviously the revenge would have to be reasonable. It wouldn't apply if you blew the parker's knees off with a shotgun. Punching him in the face or keying his car would be reduced to a minor infraction. Retributions of an ironic or poetically appropriate nature, as depicted in this comic, would get you off scot-free. We would also accept slashing the tires or otherwise preventing the mobility of the vehicle, so that the driver would be forced to stay parked there.

I believe such a law would result in a more polite and considerate society. Either that or we'd all kill each other off. Either way, fewer douchbags.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”