0564: "Crossbows"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teaser

Re: "Crossbows" Discussion

Postby teaser » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:54 am UTC

MrMasterplan wrote:The Higgs is a prediction that is required by the electroweak theory, the theory that is the unified description of the electromagneic force and the weak force. (The weak force is the one responsible for nuclear beta-decay.)

No no no. It doesn't have anything to do with the electroweak force either. We understand that one too.

You guys didn't read my explanation did you?

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

Sp00n wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:I'm not sure what people are confused about.

The crossbow is incidental to the joke. Its a noodle implement/macguffin - it doesn't really matter what it is supposed to be used for. The joke is that he's so far behind his colleagues, what seems obvious to them hasn't even dawned on him yet.

Either that, or they're simply pulling a prank on him, just to mess with him. Its funny either way.

That's kinda the assumption I made too.

But an extra-dimensional Velociraptor horde would be nice too...

but the other student has a crossbow as well. This means that having a cross sense, so the girl seems like the odd one out. But, the girl and other student are saying the first one is slow. It would make perfect sense if it weren't for the second cross bow.

I don't get it, and dare i say... Randell may have goofed up on this one.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

cybersatellite wrote:LHC will not be operational again before the end of September 2009 (wikipedia)

and

take a look at:
http://www.hubdub.com/e/Market/Will_the ... _whom_5503

Zenexer wrote:
cybersatellite wrote:On April 7, 2008, Higgs predicted that the Higgs Boson will be found within a year. Time's up on Tuesday, the day which the particle physicists will reveal the Higgs "bow zone".

Meh... they claimed that in September. It's just a coincidence that the accelerator happened to be fixed around the start of April.

I'm sincerely hoping for a velociraptor invasion, though I'd put my money on the accelerator not working again.

dracoaffectus wrote:I didn't really get it for awhile, but in trying to figure out what higgs excitation is, I've concluded that the joke is about the high possibility of time traveling raptors appearing as a result of the LHC. Although...isn't the LHC still out of commission for a few more months? Suddenly, I'm not so sure anymore...but I've got nothing else.

flyonthewall wrote:
cybersatellite wrote:LHC will not be operational again before the end of September 2009 (wikipedia)

Without actually naming or directly quoting my sources, I will say that it won't be operational in September.
If I had to guess a time, I'd guess Nov/Dec '09..

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Randal get out of my head. My Crossbow is sitting less than a metre away, just waiting for me to put the new string on it. Well, it needs two people to put it on since I don't have a vice. I would probably go and play with it if I could replace the string by myself and it wasn't 9:42 p.m.

The operational status of the LHC is a probability function. I'd get that crossbow restrung post haste.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ancientcampus

Postby ancientcampus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

I think they're playing a practical joke on him.

JustJohn

Postby JustJohn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Didn't get it at first. After reading over the guesses I think it's obvious that it's referring to Higg's prediction that the particle would be found by this coming Tuesday. As for the crossbow, it *might* be a lame pun on "boson" or something like raptors, but I like this interpretation the best, and it makes the "poor guy" line fit better as well:

Well I think it is because it was expected, on this tuesday the higgs particle will be found... means -> nobel price

I read some where that usually not more than 3 people get one. So... one whole lab... but only 3 people get the nobel price ;)

think of it ;)

greetz

Ricci

mcc36

Postby mcc36 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Mr Glass wrote:Tuesday's coming. Did you bring your crossbow?

I was really sad that I didn't understand this comic until I saw this post. Then I became really sad that a timely Don Hertzfeldt reference slipped under the radar. And for the record, a giant bucket may be the only safe haven from the interdimensional raptors, should they invade.

abitha

Postby abitha » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

OBloodyHell wrote:> I mean, who is the real retard here?
Not cool, not funny, not a good comic

Assuming this silly polemic was even vaguely serious, I have two words for you: "Get A Life".

Clearly you are not familiar with sje46's regular "Worst. xkcd. Ever" posts... (of which this was one of my favourites so far, by the way - made me laugh far more than the comic itself did!).

I agree with whoever it was that said that the rest of the lab were pulling an april fool or some other kind of prank on the 'slow' guy.

but the other student has a crossbow as well. This means that having a cross sense, so the girl seems like the odd one out. But, the girl and other student are saying the first one is slow. It would make perfect sense if it weren't for the second cross bow.

Not quite sure i understood you here (what's a "cross sense"?). The guy on the left is holding the girl's crossbow which he pulled out of her desk drawer, the guy on the right is holding his own crossbow. The girl isn't the 'odd one out', although it's a bit confusing when you first see the comic.

DWarrior

Postby DWarrior » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

I believe one of the concerns over LHC was a potential for an interdimensional portal that would bring demons to our world.

Or maybe it's just a general statement about the suckiness of being the slowest guy in the lab, exaggerated for comedic effect, possibly motivated by LHC.

PS, the problem with "April Fool's" theory is it's not supported by the comic in any way. The Alt Text should have made reference to it, otherwise you're just projecting a coincidence (not to mention april fool's was Wednesday)

pminva

Postby pminva » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

Since the prediction was that it would be discovered by April 7, 2009, then to all physicists the world as we know it will fall apart should that not happen. Physicists will have lost all credibility (which only they believe they project)....

Their slow-witted associate just could not do the math to re-derive the number of days remaining, or possibly is an applied physicist.

It will be them against the world. No zombies, no velociraptors (wow -Spellchecker isn't up on dinosaurs). Just mathematicians, liberal arts majors, provosts, deans, and "the others"...

And one can't count on electricity in that bleak future - so a physicist knows the most effective (and silent) non-industrial weapon around is ---

I myself have a longbow - crafted by an Algonquin from NY, easier to conceal vertically. But then I am also not a physicist.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Sheesh. What is so difficult about this?

1: It's a non-sequitur, but the first guy is just way too far behind to understand.

2: Obviously, if a Higgs breaks electroweak symmetry while in a highly excited state, the abrupt shift in physical laws may lead to raptor incursion (calculation of probability is trivial, and left as an exercise to the reader). The chemical reactions involved in gunpowder typically do not work under such circumstances, hence Randall's selection of the crossbow. Personally I'd rather go with a longsword and a spiked Lexan shield. Raptors are often confused by the Lexan if it's their first trip to this era.

Tzsak

Postby Tzsak » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Geogriffith wrote:Now, while I know I can't handle the math for figuring what kind of a physics scenario would require crossbows to survive the aftermath, I certainly could man-handle a physicist or two until they tell me. Their puny little arms can't load their medieval weaponry fast enough to stop me. Score one for military training!

I think we all know by now that a single physicist can take you and all your buddies on and win with enough energy left to fight off an alien invasion force.

entropomorphic

Postby entropomorphic » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Man, the first part of half-life would have been /so/ much easier if the scientists at Black Mesa were this prepared.

degroof

Postby degroof » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

First thing that came to mind:

"Yeah, listen, listen, got to dash. Things happening.
...Well, four things.
...Well, four things and a lizard."

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

Man, am I glad I read this comic. It led me to go back over my own research notes. Now I've got my javelins, umbrella, and seven gallons of cottage cheese all ready for this Wednesday.
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

tarrantkwok

Postby tarrantkwok » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

But did you remember your towel?

osdieckd

Postby osdieckd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

Ok, So I had to dig as I'm not up on my particle theory. A year ago (April 7, 2008) Peter Higgs predicted the Higgs Boson would be discovered within the year. That's been pointed out in a couple previous threads. That is the "slow with math" that their lab mate didn't realize that he only has a few days left. Throw in a couple "end of the world" type scenarios... http://xkcd.com/474/

The other part (the crossbows) is a Half-Life reference.
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Crossbow_(HL1)
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Crossbow_(HL2)

I had to dig here too as I was more of a Quake/Halo player. Turns out the crossbow is both rare in HL2 and very powerful in both HL games, and in HL1 used to take out Ichthyosaurs (not velociraptors...)
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Ichthyosaur

So the gist is that since Gordman Freeman works at the LHC http://digg.com/pc_games/Half_Life_s_Gordon_Freeman_at_the_LHC and the Higgs Boson is supposed to be discovered by Tuesday, it would be nice to have powerful sniper rifle type weapons (firing superheated rebar or at least neurotoxin-treated crossbow ammunition) when Icthyosaurs (or velociraptors) come pouring into our world.

At least that's my take.
Last edited by osdieckd on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Unprodigy

Postby Unprodigy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

So... ultimately the joke is about XKCD fans who have trouble understanding the obscure math jokes and are left scratching their heads at first?

MadKingSoupII

Postby MadKingSoupII » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

mcc36 wrote:
Mr Glass wrote:Tuesday's coming. Did you bring your crossbow?

I was really sad that I didn't understand this comic until I saw this post. Then I became really sad that a timely Don Hertzfeldt reference slipped under the radar. And for the record, a giant bucket may be the only safe haven from the interdimensional raptors, should they invade.

Wait, what Hertzfeldt reference?

Squirx

Postby Squirx » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

Honestly, I think analysing this for hidden references is useless. The people who are ahead on the math know why they need crossbows. We, like the poor slowpoke in the comic, have not done the math, so we therefore cannot know why they have crossbows.
I thinks it's freaking hilarious, though.
Like usual.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Being the slowest one in the lab is certainly a disadvantage when what you're studying moves at 0.999999999999999999932 c.

xainxodik

Postby xainxodik » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

*walks in with a crossbow*

http://www-conf.slac.stanford.edu/40yea ... burger.htm

man, i can't believe i didn't get it before, it's so simple...

Squirx

Postby Squirx » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Okay, sorry, I see there was a hidden reference. Nevermind.
But for the record, the first time I read it I was to busy lauphing to be scratching my head.

The_Duck

Postby The_Duck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Awesome strip. I love the idea that physicists have calculated that Higgs excitation will lead to a situation requiring crossbows. :)
Sister Carlotta wrote:It may not be gravity that holds us to the Earth, but rather some unknown force with identical properties.

keithc

Postby keithc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Frankie wrote:Personally I'd rather go with a longsword and a spiked Lexan shield. Raptors are often confused by the Lexan if it's their first trip to this era.

Am I the only one who read that as "Luxan" first time round? And then thought "Luxans don't use shields".

Sam the Wizer

Postby Sam the Wizer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

I was in a genetics lab one time and was the only guy (as in male) in there. The lecture wasn't required so I signed up for amusement's sake. I was the slowest person and had to drop after the first week. I'm sure they joked about me for the remainder of the semester.

GlennX

Postby GlennX » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

SEE wrote:
Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Randal get out of my head. My Crossbow is sitting less than a metre away, just waiting for me to put the new string on it. Well, it needs two people to put it on since I don't have a vice.

You don't have a vice? Then you should be using a sling, not a crossbow. After all, he who is without sin should be casting stones.

That's funny, almost too subtle for me though...

Anyway, back to the cartoon, I just love the idea that everyone around you has 'done the math' to the point that they all know it's obvious they need a handy crossbow, not a more convenient gun or a nice simple blunt object, they've all done the math and the result is so clear to them that it's specified a crossbow. What do they think is coming?, velociraptors?, is it a Half Life or movie reference?, who knows, I'm sure the reader is supposed to feel as unsettled, clueless and worried about his lack of understanding as the guy in the strip isn't he?

I was thinking as I read this thread how this forum tends to analyse things to the point of not-funny but in this thread it's done the opposite. Taking the over analysis to ridiculous extremes: in a masterpiece of self reference, not getting the joke equates to the main characters not understanding what everyone else knows to be coming on Tuesday.

The guy in the strip is worried about his ability to do the math and figure out what's coming on Tuesday.
Some of the posters in this thread are Trawling Wikipedia to figure out what's coming on Tuesday.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

That's funny on multiple levels. Well done.

Kaye

Postby Kaye » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

Kailen wrote:Image

This.

arrow_runner

Postby arrow_runner » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

I just thought I would join to mention that when you google 'higgs excitation", the first result is a malicious website. I just thought someone may want to put up a warning on the comic strip or something....

Wombat2k

Postby Wombat2k » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

It would have been easier to understand if it was a ceramic crossbow.
Also no-one mentions the lack of glasses.
Or does everyone wear contacts in American labs?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Well since I don't fully understand the higgs boson, the first connection my mind made was math -> statistics -> demographics -> IP over Demographics, which does involve crossbows.

Though I'd say in the final analysis Randal chose the least logical connection to the Higgs particle he could.

As for only three people getting the nobel prize, I doubt everyone is working at the same level. The pyramids are special, but that doesn't mean that each of the 100,000 people it takes to build one are.

Which reminds me that in the distant future tourists will be taken to see the LHC and be perplexed t hear about how the ancient Swiss believed they could improve their understanding of the world via smashing particles together.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Yeah, it's one of those anti-virus dvive-by downloads, I am glad I have firefox and clicked back before it started to download.

I also opened the page and clicked the stop button, it's just a bunch of random keywords, pictures, and links designed to lure users into clicking the link.
Spoiler:

Stranger...

Postby Stranger... » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

To me, the funniest thing about the comic is googling "Higgs excitation" and seeing lots of tweets and searches going on.

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

Stranger... wrote:To me, the funniest thing about the comic is googling "Higgs excitation" and seeing lots of tweets and searches going on.

i used wikipedia to get it :D

Marion Delgado

Postby Marion Delgado » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Well, I simply think science doesn't work. Hence, no raptors. As an example of why I'm right, consider the supposedly awesome cosmic background microwave? I personally left a burrito out under the stars for a week with a recording thermometer near it. When I checked it, it had experienced no warming whatsoever. Some microwave!

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:41 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Which reminds me that in the distant future tourists will be taken to see the LHC and be perplexed t hear about how the ancient Swiss believed they could improve their understanding of the world via smashing particles together.

Boson Henge is ... um ... err will be a popular tourist destination and site of mystical ceremonies.

Marion Delgado wrote:Well, I simply think science doesn't work. Hence, no raptors. As an example of why I'm right, consider the supposedly awesome cosmic background microwave? I personally left a burrito out under the stars for a week with a recording thermometer near it. When I checked it, it had experienced no warming whatsoever. Some microwave!

I first read this as comic background radiation.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

ReverendRyan

Postby ReverendRyan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Y'all are thinking about this way too hard. Look: this guy's dumb, and on Tuesday he's going to die.

...You still don't get it? Ok, let me spell it out for you. Just before he dies, he'll suddenly realize how handy a crossbow would be at that moment, and the look on his face will be hilarious. All his smart coworkers with crossbows will laugh about it around the water cooler the next day.

Seriously, how can you fail to see the humor in this?

Ok, fine. You can't stand not knowing wtf is going to happen on Tuesday. So: make something up. I like the interdimensional velociraptors idea, but it's a little cliché, and there's a lot of rhetoric flying around about how xbows wouldn't help too much. Well, what if Higgs excitation destabilizes that atmosphere, such that powder combustion in a gun would be disastrous? What then, smarty-pants? You'll wish you had a crossbow then, that's what. Or what if it emits powerful psychic rays that turn everyone without an advanced understanding of particle physics into witless morons who only seek to destroy the physicists? They'd be just like zombies, but much easier to kill with crossbows. Not to mention, their naïve colleague would be one of them. They'd get to shoot him with their crossbows--hilarious!

Or what if Higgs excitation turns crossbows into gold? OR CAKE?? That poor bastard isn't going to get any cake.

This man is correct.. and funny. Let's give him his own comic

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Everyone knows crossbows are for killing vampires (best way to deliver a wooden stake into their undead hearts). To kill a raptor you need a high-powered rifle and a lot of distance. As for zombies, if shooting them in the head doesn't work, you'll want to disable their ability to move. A lawnmower is good to have on hand for this reason.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”