0569: "Borders"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThemePark

Re: "Borders" Discussion

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

Well, if nothing else, this comic reminded me of an old CTF DOS/Win 95 game, that I now have to go download. :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

These countries would be much improved by the insertion of the RedvsBlue ctf team, to teach them the ways of the flag.

Sk25

Postby Sk25 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

Remi's Puppy wrote:This really looks like an integration by parts joke. LIATE is the "rule of thumb" for choosing which two functions to work with when integrating by parts, but I can't figure out what YARBIS is, or how the three years factor in.

...Am I reading too much into this?

What does LIATE stand for? I've always refused to remember the formula, and inverted the derivative of the product instead.
I blog, I program (and again), and I tweet. Actually, I used to. I do nothing now. Thanks for not asking.

Greener

Postby Greener » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Sk25 wrote:What does LIATE stand for? I've always refused to remember the formula, and inverted the derivative of the product instead.

Logarithmic
Integral
Algebraic
Trigonometric
Exponential

It's how you're supposed to split up partial integrals, in order of preference. Generally it's easier to do if you split them up according to this rule.

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts#The_LIATE_rule

Gregu

Postby Gregu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Remi's Puppy wrote:This really looks like an integration by parts joke. LIATE is the "rule of thumb" for choosing which two functions to work with when integrating by parts, but I can't figure out what YARBIS is, or how the three years factor in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_L._Yarbus
The borders were set using Yarbis (plural for Yarbus) Accords, i.e. in a seemingly random fashion.

Or am I reading too much into this? ;)
No sig... Ideas welcome...

UltraAwesomeness

Postby UltraAwesomeness » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Something similar happened in a random TF2 server I was in. There was a medic running around bowing to people and yelling over team chat that the violence was getting us nowhere and that the whole thing was a set up because we were working for the same grouchy lady. So then someone picked out a spot and called everyone over for a peace picnic. Demomen had whiskey and Heavies ate sandwiches and it lasted for like 5 minutes until someone decided that the picnic needed fireworks and blew everyone up.

civver

Postby civver » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Alt-text made my day. :lol:
Scientific knowledge is the heritage of all mankind.

-Abdus Salam, Pakistani physicist, won the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for contributions to electroweak theory.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Greener wrote:
Sk25 wrote:What does LIATE stand for? I've always refused to remember the formula, and inverted the derivative of the product instead.

Logarithmic
Inverse Trigonometric
Algebraic
Trigonometric
Exponential

It's how you're supposed to split up partial integrals, in order of preference. Generally it's easier to do if you split them up according to this rule.

Fixed
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

phantom16

Postby phantom16 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Haha that made me laugh pretty hard. Reminds me of some of the weird games my friends and i use to play on halo 2 back in the day.

Tolchok

Postby Tolchok » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

Greener wrote:

Logarithmic
Integral
Algebraic
Trigonometric
Exponential

Funny, I learned LIPET - Logarithmic, Inverse Trig, Polynomial, Exponential, Trigonometric
Don't you hate signatures like this:

If you have no originality, copy this into your signature...and have a signature no different from lots of other people! Kind of defeats the point of sigs.

Lode

Postby Lode » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

Hey, this one is not bad actually! Quite unexpected :)

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

dammit Randall! Don't give me ideas like that.... now I want to go capture the UNs flags...

Eriksson

Postby Eriksson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Excellent comic. If there was a videogame focusing on diplomacy, politics, and international negotiations, I would play it. I've heard of eRepublik before, how is it? (More importantly, how hard is it to make a difference and rise to power without an online community backing you up?)

Air Hadoken

Postby Air Hadoken » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

YARBIS = Yet Another Red vs. Blue Imitator Series?

I'm grasping at straws here.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

Korbl wrote:dammit Randall! Don't give me ideas like that.... now I want to go capture the UNs flags...

When and where are we meeting?

PS (I have a hundred LED stickies for the metal statue on the other side of the street.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Eriksson wrote:Excellent comic. If there was a videogame focusing on diplomacy, politics, and international negotiations, I would play it. I've heard of eRepublik before, how is it? (More importantly, how hard is it to make a difference and rise to power without an online community backing you up?)

http://positech.co.uk/democracy/

It's been a while since I've played it, but it should be right up your alley.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Sk25

Postby Sk25 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Eriksson wrote:Excellent comic. If there was a videogame focusing on diplomacy, politics, and international negotiations, I would play it. I've heard of eRepublik before, how is it? (More importantly, how hard is it to make a difference and rise to power without an online community backing you up?)

I've been planning such a game for a long time, but I never could manage to actually design it. I've been playing eRepublik for a while, and it definitely requires you to be backed up by a community. I wished I could do something with smaller fictional countries, with more accent on roleplaying than on exploiting the economics engine (like eRepublik does). But this far it only remained a dream.
I blog, I program (and again), and I tweet. Actually, I used to. I do nothing now. Thanks for not asking.

Aurini

Postby Aurini » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Finally, a comic that demanded I register. Maybe I'm (also) reading way too much into it, but this comic seems to perfectly highlight a disagreement I've been trying to articulate with the Rationalist/Singularity community: namely that a peaceful, suffering free transhumanist society, where nobody ever dies or feels lonely, is a desirable, if not morally imperative, state of being.

If suffering isn't fun, then why is Romeo and Juliet the archetypal romance story? And why do we like pwning n00bs so much?

fabiocbinbutter

Postby fabiocbinbutter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Excellent comic. If there was a videogame focusing on diplomacy, politics, and international negotiations, I would play it. I've heard of eRepublik before, how is it? (More importantly, how hard is it to make a difference and rise to power without an online community backing you up?)

See http://www.peacemakergame.com/ for one example I know of.

XbHW_TestEngr

Postby XbHW_TestEngr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:52 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:
Korbl wrote:dammit Randall! Don't give me ideas like that.... now I want to go capture the UNs flags...

When and where are we meeting?

PS (I have a hundred LED stickies for the metal statue on the other side of the street.)

Make sure you post a vid of your exploits.
Great comic.
Great sub-references.
Great alt text - ftw!
... and there will be cake.

I have traveled from 1960 to be a member of the unofficial Council of Elders. Phear M3

benbald72 wrote:I feel connected to the author and therefore appreciate the comic, regardless of whether or not I understand the joke ....

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Tolchok wrote:Funny, I learned LIPET - Logarithmic, Inverse Trig, Polynomial, Exponential, Trigonometric

Aye, me too. As such, I missed the joke entirely.

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

On the couple of occasions I've played Risk this was exactly what happened.

Comrade Tiki

Postby Comrade Tiki » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

This is an absolutely incredible comic... the final panel is an absolutely flawless twist. I am astounded. Having played Team Fortress Classic for a total of at least some solid weeks of action, the subject matter is close-to-heart.

This comic reminds me of one of the few times I tried playing Counter-Strike. As a member of an inept Terrorist team, I warned the enemy that any raid would result in dead civilians. I positioned myself on watch-duty and began executing the hostages whenever they entered the room... it was so successful that the third round without any rescues saw me kicked :). It will be a little harder to negotiate some real-world complacency of others, but I think the first step would be banning the TF medic's biological weapons, by articles of the Geneva Convention.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

MightyMouse wrote:On the couple of occasions I've played Risk this was exactly what happened.

I know, right?

I played it with some friends a while ago as well.

I conquered all of Asia and Australia, crippling one of my friends until she realized there was nobody in North America at all, and ran over there.
One friend had all of Africa & Europe, and another almost all of South America. It was at this point we realized that our other friend was in Argentina with a massive army because he avoided all expansion and conflict. As such, the rest of us accused him of being a totalitarian dictator, because he had such a massive army in such a small nation. We imposed economic sanctions on him (which essentially meant we refused to give him the appropriate number of additional units per turn) and unified into a single united world...we actually got out a sheet of paper and wrote up an agreement, and had everyone sign it in a legally binding contract. So we massed all our forces together, and cooperatively marched basically every available piece down and crushed him utterly.

Then myself in Asia, Australia, and North America, and my friend in Africa and Europe talked the others still playing into capitulating to our massive armies on their doorsteps, and then entered into a truce, effectively ending the game in a peaceful co-habitation of two superpowers.

Global conquest and politics...fun!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:On the couple of occasions I've played Risk this was exactly what happened.

I know, right?

I conquered all of Asia and Australia, crippling one of my friends until she realized there was nobody in North America at all, and ran over there.
One friend had all of Africa & Europe, and another almost all of South America. It was at this point we realized that our other friend was in Argentina with a massive army because he avoided all expansion and conflict. As such, the rest of us accused him of being a totalitarian dictator, because he had such a massive army in such a small nation. We imposed economic sanctions on him (which essentially meant we refused to give him the appropriate number of additional units per turn) and unified into a single united world...we actually got out a sheet of paper and wrote up an agreement, and had everyone sign it in a legally binding contract. So we massed all our forces together, and cooperatively marched basically every available piece down and crushed him utterly.

Then myself in Asia, Australia, and North America, and my friend in Africa and Europe talked the others still playing into capitulating to our massive armies on their doorsteps, and then entered into a truce, effectively ending the game in a peaceful co-habitation of two superpowers.

I wanna play Risk games like that! :D

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:

I know, right?

And then I squirted lighter fluid all over the board and dropped a lit match on it. Muhaha er, um, oops ... did I say that out loud?
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

MarcyMarc

Postby MarcyMarc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Great buildup to an amazing joke. Much like the sentimental xkcd's that either the last panel or alt text completely crush (wait... are those vultures? are you a zombie?) the sentiment... Amazing joke. Did not see coming.
marcYɔɹɐɯ

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:13 am UTC

So come Traveler
Lay down your grudges
And join us in brotherhood.
It is time not to fight, but to live

You all can talk about computer games and what not. I'm going to turn that verse into a song!
It may be the most poetic thing Randall ever wrote.

J. D.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 am UTC

Faranya wrote:
Tolchok wrote:Funny, I learned LIPET - Logarithmic, Inverse Trig, Polynomial, Exponential, Trigonometric

Aye, me too. As such, I missed the joke entirely.

I feel so deprived. I never learned any acronyms for integration by parts, only techniques.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

Yer all coddled pussies. I just learned, "here's the formula, find something trivial."

AnneTaciturn

Postby AnneTaciturn » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am UTC

"Soon they'll build a bigger board with a bigger nail, until one day they build a board with a nail in it so big, it will Destroy them all!!!" Kang (the simpsons) :D

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:32 am UTC

Aurini wrote:Finally, a comic that demanded I register. Maybe I'm (also) reading way too much into it, but this comic seems to perfectly highlight a disagreement I've been trying to articulate with the Rationalist/Singularity community: namely that a peaceful, suffering free transhumanist society, where nobody ever dies or feels lonely, is a desirable, if not morally imperative, state of being.

If suffering isn't fun, then why is Romeo and Juliet the archetypal romance story? And why do we like pwning n00bs so much?

Because what makes a good story and what makes a good life are basically unrelated.

Duh.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Mario_Freak4

Postby Mario_Freak4 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

I am now horribly tempted to turn the next meeting of my school's Model United Nations into a game of capture the flag. I doubt that they would appreciate it though.

ckelly

Postby ckelly » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Sk25 wrote:

I've been planning such a game for a long time, but I never could manage to actually design it. I've been playing eRepublik for a while, and it definitely requires you to be backed up by a community. I wished I could do something with smaller fictional countries, with more accent on roleplaying than on exploiting the economics engine (like eRepublik does). But this far it only remained a dream.

Same... Like an MMORPG of sorts... I was thinking something along the lines of a World of Warcraft kinda thing, just with a bunch more factions, nations, and religions... If your serious about it and wanna talk about it email me conorakelly@gmail.com...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”