0583: "CNR"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

voynich

Re: "CNR" Discussion

Postby voynich » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I know it's a bit late to say this, but this is one of my favourite strips ever. Not because I was ever in QA, but because I have dealt too often with them, from both the bug reporter role and the programmer role. The points this strip makes are several - first the very funny (to me) 'CNR' pun, and second the critique of QA people going about their jobs in completely the wrong way. Now, this is not to say that some QA people are excellent - I know a few that can often tell the programmers what code needs to be changed, explicitly. But the vast majority of QA people are just culled from the herd, kept in the dark and fed BS. They get paid to close tickets.

Now, I could go on to describe what I see as the problems which create the problems that end up in QA, and particularly the tickets that stay in the queue forever and are never understood or fixed. But that's far beyond what this forum is about.

Now, if said child had been produced, would it have been the intellectual property of the software firm where these parents were employed?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 am UTC

voynich wrote:Now, if said child had been produced, would it have been the intellectual property of the software firm where these parents were employed?

Depends, I suppose, on the wording of the firm's policies. In my company, for instance, the relevant text reads as follows (with the company name redacted):
During the course of employment with {company} Employees may develop, participate in the development of, or have
access to new processes, programs or procedures which will be, or are currently being, used by {company}. Intellectual
property rights in all such work and the information generated is and remains the property of {company} both during
and following a period of employment.

Since the child is not a process, program or procedure this clause would not apply. (And you can spare me the jokes about "child process", too.)
But of course that's not particularly funny, so let's look at the implications if it were true (and if it were to be upheld in court, which is pretty hard to envisage). Presumably the IP in this case is the child's DNA sequence. Clearly, cloning the child without the company's permission would be out. I should think the child would also not be able to have children of its own without the company's express permission; since 50% of the DNA would be coming from the company's IP this would clearly be a derivative work.

Could the child be a blood donor? Would it have to live in a bubble-like habitat to prevent the uncontrolled shedding of skin, hair etc. cells into the general environment? What would happen if it cut itself - would it have to ensure all the blood was carefully collected and destroyed in a secure manner?

Would the child even be allowed to grow without permission? After all, the growth process involves copying that DNA onto a bunch of new cells...

FLK!

Postby FLK! » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 am UTC

I love the ones about sex, particularly when he puts geek humor in!

LeftClicker

Postby LeftClicker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

I just got that.

melladh

Postby melladh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

I keep wanting to put this on the wall at work, but I'm never quite sure where the line is drawn. Then again, some of our QA don't even understand what it means when I put "CNR" as a response to their bug reports...
Image Image

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

This is an awesome comic. And I need to meet this woman.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:And I need to meet this woman.

Because she uses poor judgement when choosing her partner for sexual intercourse? :roll:
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

drewder

Re: 0583: "CNR"

Postby drewder » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

Maybe it's just from being a father but I always felt a little sorry for her as she has to type could not reproduce on the bug

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:10 am UTC

This was very recently referenced on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... qq#caxggqq
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Ezzthetic wrote:The other one was "Programming is like sex - one little mistake, and you support it for years."

Oooooh yes.

(I'm a programmer, in maintenance. Not a mother, yet.)

Also,
Programming is like sex - it's usually not as much fun when you do it for money.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Also,
Programming is like sex - it's usually not as much fun when you do it for money.

But that's true of everything! Everything is like sex...

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Definitions of fun may differ, but I think doing things that are either disgusting (like cleaning public toilets) or boring/repetitive/"busy work" (like counting identical pieces of gravel) are a good deal less fun if you're not getting paid. I think it's just that being paid makes anything more neutral - makes positive things less positive, makes negative things less negative.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”