0583: "CNR"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PickleMan

Re: "CNR" Discussion

Postby PickleMan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:07 am UTC

It was a mixture of everything...

In other words: Exactly.

jhumOneOhOne

Postby jhumOneOhOne » Wed May 13, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Panel 2 is awkward and the strip flows better without it.
1 & 3 make a better set-up to the pun.

PickleMan

Postby PickleMan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Are you saying...panel 2 is useless?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed May 13, 2009 6:25 am UTC

space_raptor wrote:GROAN

Times 2.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

boffy

Postby boffy » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Horrible, horrible pun.

I love it.

Gero

Postby Gero » Wed May 13, 2009 6:44 am UTC

Pun on the word reproduce. Hmmm. Can't blame you, it looked like it has a lot of potential. Pitty. Groan

PickleMan

Postby PickleMan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 am UTC

<sarcasm>OHH!!! That's what the pun is...</sarcasm>

It did take me about a minute...

Fougare

Postby Fougare » Wed May 13, 2009 7:09 am UTC

Cige wrote:It would take them 9 months for gestation + about 1.5 years for the child to learn enough language to speak. That means it would take them about 27 months to test the bug and fix it. Because of this I'm going to assume that they are time travelers and will inform their past selves about the bug after they have replicated it in the future. That, or they're actually members of an ailen or genetically altered species who's young come out able to fully speak.

27 months to test and fix a bug... this strip must be taking place in Microsoft's HQ...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 am UTC

PickleMan wrote:<sarcasm>OHH!!! That's what the pun is...</sarcasm>

It did take me about a minute...
Only took me half a second. But I have the advantage of being a software engineer and actually using a bug tracker. Though reproducing bugs hasn't involved actual reproduction, yet.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

PickleMan

Postby PickleMan » Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 am UTC

I only have the experience of software engineering...

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:13 am UTC

This is just a contrived means for Randall to admit he's sterile.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

ch424

Postby ch424 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Panel 2 was pretty crude. I'm sure Randall could have come up with something a bit wittier if he'd tried.

Tsunoba

Postby Tsunoba » Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 am UTC

boffy wrote:Horrible, horrible pun.

I love it.

Came here to say exactly that.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 am UTC

could not reproduce

Someone had to make that pun eventually :lol: . And what a neat idea, speech recognition software and little children :)

phlip wrote:
holshy wrote:Maybe I'm just a dullard here, but what does CNR stand for?

Take a look again at what words are in the punchline.

Oh, I didn't realize that CNR was for could not reproduce. I thought it was for "sorry, could not resist", without the usual S, because he wasn't sorry for making the pun. And then I was wondering if "can't and shouldn't" was for "shouldn't reproduce" or "shouldn't resist to make the pun".

Eternal Density wrote:

Code: Select all

pcntl_wait($status); //Protect against Zombie children

Protect against Zombie children ... should be the title or topic of a horror movie.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

savage

Postby savage » Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 am UTC

Hurr, infertility is funny.

Next week on xkcd: cancer jokes.
The thing about revenge is, you have to do it right.

Death is quick, humiliation is forever.

Sonja

Postby Sonja » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 am UTC

Who said either of them is infertile? Babies don't happen every time you have unprotected sex.

And infertility is rather funny, in some select cases. I know I will be laughing like a madwomen when I finally get sterilized and can show my mom the papers (no grandkids for you from me! Muwahaha). Not to mention what's funny in comics doesn't necessarily have to be funny in real life. ;)

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 am UTC

There is no timeframe.

Judging by the average social reclusiveness of software engineers, it is possible she checked for pregnancy immediately after having unprotected intercourse.

Thus, there is no hard evidence for infertility (and neither would there be if there were a few weeks between having had unprotected sex and checking).

She might be in for a surprise, though.

Edit: And the case of failed conception despite fertile participants and unprotected sex above is, of course, entirely possible as well.

markkat

Postby markkat » Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am UTC

Huh.
I don't know how 5E D&D will be played, but 6E D&D will be played with paper and pencils.
Wayfarers Role-playing Game. -Ye Olde Gaming Companye.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:I dislike the casual attitude towards reproductive sex. Not really funny.

What's wrong with that? Are you some kind of prude or something? What is wrong with a man and woman expressing their love for one another? Do you understand how mating works? Do you understand where babies come from? If it weren't for sex none of us would be here. It isn't a ritual of some sort either. It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby while an angel with a trumpet flitters above blowing the traditional ceremonious song of fertility no. People get drunk and screw each other. At parties, at work, during school, at McDonalds, where ever. It is not a thing to be ashamed of! Do not let the conservatives and
J-Hove witnesses convince you otherwise! Sex is a wonderful thing that should be taught early on, in the womb even, as a natural and beautiful thing. We should live as bonobos and use sex as a greeting hello, and a valediction bye. We shall have an orgy before we eat, before we work, before we sleep, and before we have sex. Because only through the God-given glory of orgasm can we truly experience his Infinite Love for us. Fellatio will become our prayers, and cunnilingus will become our confessions. We will as a species become one, under the great religion of Hot Nasty Boning. And yes, we may die out from the STD/Is, from the herpes, AIDS, and gonnorhea. But at least we will go out the way we were meant to. Covered in each other's funk and moaning to God.
Not cool, not funny, not a good criticism.

Other than your religious proposal, did you notice that I said reproductive sex? There's a difference between sex-for-fun and sex-to-produce-a-child.

But of course you wouldn't notice. You're a 4channer: applying the mind to something other than snark doesn't come easily to your race, does it?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Wed May 13, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Cal27 wrote:
sje46 wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:I dislike the casual attitude towards reproductive sex. Not really funny.

What's wrong with that? Are you some kind of prude or something? What is wrong with a man and woman expressing their love for one another? Do you understand how mating works? Do you understand where babies come from? If it weren't for sex none of us would be here. It isn't a ritual of some sort either. It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby while an angel with a trumpet flitters above blowing the traditional ceremonious song of fertility no. People get drunk and screw each other. At parties, at work, during school, at McDonalds, where ever. It is not a thing to be ashamed of! Do not let the conservatives and
J-Hove witnesses convince you otherwise! Sex is a wonderful thing that should be taught early on, in the womb even, as a natural and beautiful thing. We should live as bonobos and use sex as a greeting hello, and a valediction bye. We shall have an orgy before we eat, before we work, before we sleep, and before we have sex. Because only through the God-given glory of orgasm can we truly experience his Infinite Love for us. Fellatio will become our prayers, and cunnilingus will become our confessions. We will as a species become one, under the great religion of Hot Nasty Boning. And yes, we may die out from the STD/Is, from the herpes, AIDS, and gonnorhea. But at least we will go out the way we were meant to. Covered in each other's funk and moaning to God.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

A sje46 newsletter? I'm not sure the world is ready for that. Still, if there is one, I'd love to subscribe.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

Elennaro

Postby Elennaro » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

If she used that pregnancy test immediately after having sex, the punchline may yet turn out to be wrong...

petiex

Postby petiex » Wed May 13, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

I've said it before; I repeat it apropos of this webcomic: People who close tickets with "can not reproduce" probably should not reproduce, nor should those who would scowl at a pun.

The tragedy is that, outside xkcd's hermitage of pure logic, such people do reproduce, prodigiously, peopling the landscape with dull-eyed shrugging mouth-breathers as unimaginative and insular as themselves.

earlwer

Postby earlwer » Wed May 13, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

Kailen wrote:Obviously she was supposed to hook up with one of the testers, and not another programmer.

Actually, she would have to hookup with one of the testees in order to reproduce the problem :roll:

Squirx

Postby Squirx » Wed May 13, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

Anyone know what CNR means?

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Wed May 13, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:

I want you to do me without a condom. (Have casual unprotected sex with me? Sexy time? Procreate? Consummate? Anyway, i want you to have my babies). Quoting an awesome post.

HorseloverFat

Postby HorseloverFat » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Other than your religious proposal, did you notice that I said reproductive sex? There's a difference between sex-for-fun and sex-to-produce-a-child.

But of course you wouldn't notice. You're a 4channer: applying the mind to something other than snark doesn't come easily to your race, does it?

Adjectives don't work on that one.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed May 13, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Fougare wrote:27 months to test and fix a bug... this strip must be taking place in Microsoft's HQ...

what about [url="http://www.osnews.com/story/19731/The-25-Year-Old-UNIX-Bug"]bsd[/url] :P
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

t_catt11

Postby t_catt11 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

I have read xkcd for some time now, but this joke did it for me... this is a truly inspired piece of writing. Genius, I say... GENIUS!
Santa4me.com: personalized letters from Santa Claus!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

DOH! TerrEEEBLAYY!! Owe my pun gland!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Zanbaar

Postby Zanbaar » Wed May 13, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

I work for a software testing company, and sadly...this has never, ever, happened to me. :?

You could all help me by getting your small children to break all the printer management software you can find! :lol:

...although I'm not sure there's actually anyone here I'd want to "reproduce the bug" with. :oops:
Last edited by Zanbaar on Wed May 13, 2009 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed May 13, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Squirx wrote:Anyone know what CNR means?

"Could not reproduce". It's absolutely standard tech support shorthand for "what the user says happens, doesn't, so I can't fix it."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 13, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:
Squirx wrote:Anyone know what CNR means?

"Could not reproduce". It's absolutely standard tech support shorthand for "what the user says happens, doesn't, so I can't fix it."

It sounds like it should be, but I've never seen it. E.g. at my place of work the label is "Not reproducible defect", and on Launchpad (Ubuntu Bugtracker) the options that fit best with this are "incomplete" and "invalid", possibly "won't fix".
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Hm.... our bug tracker has "Unable to Reproduce".

As a person who spends a good portion of their job tracking bugs and testing software I was very happy with this comic.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Picklesworth

Postby Picklesworth » Wed May 13, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

Cige wrote:It would take them 9 months for gestation + about 1.5 years for the child to learn enough language to speak. That means it would take them about 27 months to test the bug and fix it. Because of this I'm going to assume that they are time travelers and will inform their past selves about the bug after they have replicated it in the future. That, or they're actually members of an ailen or genetically altered species who's young come out able to fully speak.

...Or they're working on GNOME.

(Just kidding! Eeek, don't kill me!)

ipsos

Postby ipsos » Wed May 13, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

The groaner of a punchline in this strip puts me in mind of a similar pun 20 years ago in "Blackadder the Third," one of the pinnacles of British TV comedy...

Prince George: What can I do to a woman that I can't do to you?
Blackadder: I cannot conceive, sir.

My own experimentation on the point is inconclusive: a year to the day after the child in question was born, all he can say is "deh deh deh." Not a useful speech-to-text test. (He likes his birthday cake, though.)

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

ipsos wrote:My own experimentation on the point is inconclusive: a year to the day after the child in question was born, all he can say is "deh deh deh." Not a useful speech-to-text test. (He likes his birthday cake, though.)

Yet you are able to spell out the sounds he is making, whereas the speech recognition software cannot, which is the entire point of the bug / strip. :P
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

darkspork

Postby darkspork » Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Terrible joke, but I laughed.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

Nulono

Postby Nulono » Wed May 13, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby
:shock:

holshy

Postby holshy » Wed May 13, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
holshy wrote:Maybe I'm just a dullard here, but what does CNR stand for?

Take a look again at what words are in the punchline.
:oops: Definitely a dullard.

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Wed May 13, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

It took me a moment to get the pun, but then... ARGH!

I feel like explaining it for all the people who posted that they didn't get it, so if you got it already, don't bother reading this. :)

Whenever a programmer gets a report of a bug with their software, the first thing they do is try to cause the bug to happen again. (That is to say they try to "reproduce" the problem) In the comic, they need a kid to cause the bug, so they try to create one by having sex. Since she failed to get pregnant, they were unable to "reproduce" the bug and also literally unable to "reproduce" a child.

I say again, "ARGH!" The pun hurts!
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”