0584: "Unsatisfied"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

0584: "Unsatisfied"

Postby glasnt » Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Alt: Forever comparing, never evaluating on any external scale. If you were a search function, you'd never break the nlogn barrier.

Spoiler:
Clearly he likes the blonde better, because the brunette never gets cunnilingus .
Last edited by glasnt on Fri May 15, 2009 4:05 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

joee

Re: "Unsatisfied" Discussion

Postby joee » Fri May 15, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Sad comic, Randall.

What are they doing, third box down on the left? Drawing on a map?

p.s. I guess I can handle being beaten by you glasnt ;)

Edit: But your link's broken Thanks :)
Last edited by joee on Fri May 15, 2009 4:05 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Hi glasnt.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri May 15, 2009 4:03 am UTC

Hot.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

sunami

Postby sunami » Fri May 15, 2009 4:04 am UTC

So why is there no three-some or polygamy suggestion. Problem solvers people!
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Fri May 15, 2009 4:05 am UTC

So my relationships should be like a radix sort....

That is, over extremely quickly.
Last edited by Comic JK on Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

joeyhndc

Postby joeyhndc » Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 am UTC

My god. It's the 600th topic. Let's bask in the glory of arbitrary numbers that look nice in our counting system.

This comic struck a chord with me even though I'm perma-single. I can totally see myself doing this. I've done it with gadgets.
Last edited by joeyhndc on Fri May 15, 2009 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 am UTC

joee wrote:What are they doing, third box down on the left? Drawing on a map?

Clearly, they are playing Risk. :p

Link is fixed, too.

fwlbg

Postby fwlbg » Fri May 15, 2009 4:08 am UTC

A nice romance one here, with an awesomely tragic ending.

I love the ones with tragic endings. The ones with vast expanses of land/water - with a single character who is lonely - are also awesome, there should be more of those. :P

Sathka

Postby Sathka » Fri May 15, 2009 4:09 am UTC

How tragic.

Absolutely selfish of the male character.

exoren22

Postby exoren22 » Fri May 15, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Well now, logically, we must all take part in a grand mating experiment to see which is the best algorithm... Wait, natural Selection scooped us all!

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Clearly he likes the blonde better, because the brunette never gets cunnilingus .

I beg to differ. He seems to be doing more enjoyable things with the brunette than the blonde. What you do outside of bed is more important than what you do in it in a relationship.

Sadly, I can sympathize. I've had these feelings before and I probably will again. //_v
Last edited by NecklaceOfShadow on Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

rascher

Postby rascher » Fri May 15, 2009 4:15 am UTC

Is she a brunette or black-haired gal?

At any rate, this seems to be a good time to remind everyone of this: http://cu.nniling.us/

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri May 15, 2009 4:18 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote://_v

My god. I've never seen an emo smiley before.

Thanks, I think.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Lampire

Postby Lampire » Fri May 15, 2009 4:19 am UTC

I start to understand xkcd comics. What has university done with me!?!

Good one, though its quite painfull because its similiar to what I've experienced in the last few weeks.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri May 15, 2009 4:22 am UTC

rascher wrote: http://cu.nniling.us/

I have no idea what you did there.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Fri May 15, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Didn't really do it for me. Probably because I'm perma-single.
Aside, I am a little concerned that I just saw stick figures having sex.

rascher wrote:At any rate, this seems to be a good time to remind everyone of this: http://cu.nniling.us/

How did you find out about that?
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri May 15, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Two words: opportunity cost.

I'd suggest this is an excellent illustration for a teacher trying to explain the concept, but (A) it's really not a very hard concept to explain in mere words, and (B) I'm not sure how many high school teachers really would be comfortable showing a comic that depicts cunnilingus, even in stick figure form. Much less how many parents wouldn't complain. For any confused as to how that could possibly be an issue, see the discussion re: the "Scrabble" comic.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 am UTC

10nitro wrote:
rascher wrote:At any rate, this seems to be a good time to remind everyone of this: http://cu.nniling.us/

How did you find out about that?

Randall make that ages ago :)

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Wow. I never thought that stick figure sex could be hot.
sunami wrote:So why is there no three-some or polygamy suggestion. Problem solvers people!

I wonder occasionally why this is still not legal (cultural artifacts, of course). There are plenty of people who de facto do this, it can't be much messier than a 1/1 relationship's are, and it would solve the main problem for people who end up loving more than one person romantically. On the other hand, writers would lose a lot of drama producing material. But if two women love the same man, or two men love the same woman, why should there be an agonizing decision to be made over which one to spend your life with?

Sathka wrote:How tragic.

Oh, please, like women don't do that too. But oh right, women don't cheat of their own volition, they do it because the guy they were with did/didn't X for them, so it's alright. I love to hate double standards. Each of the girls probably had other guys that THEY were comparing him too, but for simplicity they weren't shown.

I am now wondering why I couldn't be born 2000 years from now in the SEM. Damn you, Weber! Damn you for making sense!

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri May 15, 2009 4:30 am UTC

I say go with the brunette. Awesome outdoor adventures and no hair stuck in your teeth.

maelikki

Postby maelikki » Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 am UTC

i don't understand how you might argue that he likes the blonde better because of the cunnilingus, since http://xkcd.com/136/ suggests he is not sufficiently skilled in that area. rather, i see that the brunette was on a cliff with him, which 1. sounds more fun, 2. requires more trust.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 am UTC

There should be a word filter that changes all instances of "www.xkcd.com" or "www.xkcd.com/[n]" into "www.cu.nniling.us/[n]".
EDIT:
Not counting that url, Randall has made three references to cunnilingus in his strips, as far as I'm aware.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

jackowayed

Postby jackowayed » Fri May 15, 2009 4:47 am UTC

We're all ignoring the most important part. THE ALT TEXT! I really think that SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET, and that that someone is Randall.

If you were a search function, you'd never break the nlogn barrier.

I'm guessing that should read "If you were a sort function, ..." Anyone who's seen an array should be able to write an O(n) search function. On the other hand, O(nlogn) is the fastest sort algorithm in existence. (And I think it's been proven that it's the fastest possible.)

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong? After thinking about it a lot more, I'm thinking I don't really understand what's going on with the alt text. Does "forever comparing, never evaluating on any external scale" reference some horrible sort I'm supposed to know of that's O(nlogn)?

2nd EDIT: While looking back over it, I saw that I made the same mistake he did. I initially said

Anyone who's seen an array should be able to write an O(n) sort function.

But I meant an O(n) search function.
Last edited by jackowayed on Fri May 15, 2009 7:51 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

dwibby

Postby dwibby » Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Wait.

How did:

imply:

westrim wrote:Oh, please, like women don't do that too. But oh right, women don't cheat of their own volition, they do it because the guy they were with did/didn't X for them, so it's alright. I love to hate double standards. Each of the girls probably had other guys that THEY were comparing him too, but for simplicity they weren't shown.

It was, after all, the male character's actions that we were shown, and his gender is the identifying trait of that character. Well, besides being "the wistful character."

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Fri May 15, 2009 4:56 am UTC

I found this comic incomprehensibly depressing. Is this something that everyone does? I don't.

westrim wrote:Oh, please, like women don't do that too. But oh right, women don't cheat of their own volition, they do it because the guy they were with did/didn't X for them, so it's alright. I love to hate double standards. Each of the girls probably had other guys that THEY were comparing him too, but for simplicity they weren't shown.

Sounds like someone's a bit sensitive on this topic.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 15, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Man, that's depressing. The answer is yes, of course women do it too! Don't worry Munroe, you get over it. I know I did. And then got dumped anyway.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:01 am UTC

It has nothing to do with his being male. When I see hatless stick figure guy, I think of him as Randall, if usually a self-parody. But just because it's a male doesn't mean Randall doesn't think women do it too.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 15, 2009 5:09 am UTC

While the comic page was loading I had the though, "Please don't let today be yet another sex-related comic." So I too was unsatisfied :P
That aside, I've never been in a predicament at all like the one outlined in the comic. Not even close to it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

warrbo

Postby warrbo » Fri May 15, 2009 5:10 am UTC

This is a great comment about what our minds do to torture us.

It is also a great parody of Archie comics.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I was in a relationship, and couldn't stop thinking about the other potential relationship until I died and then couldn't stop thinking about a gravestone with rounded corners!

Not cool, not funny, not a good comic.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 am UTC

This made me particularly sad. I hate it when comics strike a chord with your immediate situation.

Fuck you Randall!
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 am UTC

jackowayed wrote:We're all ignoring the most important part. THE ALT TEXT! I really think that SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET, and that that someone is Randall.

I'm guessing that should read "If you were my sort function, ..." Anyone who's seen an array should be able to write an O(n) sort function. On the other hand, O(nlogn) is the fastest sort algorithm in existence. (And I think it's been proven that it's the fastest possible.)

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong? After thinking about it a lot more, I'm thinking I don't really understand what's going on with the alt text. Does "forever comparing, never evaluating on any external scale" reference some horrible sort I'm supposed to know of that's O(nlogn)?

No, no, it's that a comparison-based sorting algorithm can never have a worst-case running time faster than O(nlog(n)). Randall says "search function", which seems very stupid of him because binary search functions run in O(log(n)) time (some search functions on sorted or known data run even faster), and therefore no nlog(n) barrier exists for searching. The alt-text should refer to sorting.

And this comic isn't funny. It isn't even romantic. Eww.

EDIT: By the way, way to fucking go Randall, opening the day in which I take my Algorithms final by being wrong about algorithms. That's a really great omen you just handed me right there!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

DSDM

Postby DSDM » Fri May 15, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Wow. Never thought I'd see stick-figure cunnilingus.

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Fri May 15, 2009 5:30 am UTC

stick-figure cunnilingus, what more could you want?

Great comic, i think most people find themselves comparing at one point or another.

.....Let this now become a blondes vs brunette discussion?

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Fri May 15, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Dark indeed.

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 am UTC

http://cu.nniling.us/ wrote:Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language and depictions of stick figures engaging in sexual acts (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).
fixed.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is the first ever example of Rule 34 on stick figures in the comic? (I know there have been other sex "scenes" but they were under the sheets so it doesn't count?)

dwibby wrote:Wait.

How did:

imply:

It was, after all, the male character's actions that we were shown, and his gender is the identifying trait of that character. Well, besides being "the wistful character."
Precisely... Sathka could have just as easily said "Absolutely selfish of the bald character."

I am disappointed that the comic completely neglected the three-way solution. Maybe.... moar Rule 34!?
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

tetromino

Postby tetromino » Fri May 15, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Sathka wrote:Absolutely selfish of the male character.

How is it selfish? In the general case, you cannot force yourself to not have feelings for someone. The best you can do is to push those feelings down and never act on them - just like the male stick figure did(n't).

IMHO, the male stick figure's conduct was proper.

xolot1

Postby xolot1 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:07 am UTC

jackowayed wrote:We're all ignoring the most important part. THE ALT TEXT! I really think that SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET, and that that someone is Randall.

I'm guessing that should read "If you were my sort function, ..." Anyone who's seen an array should be able to write an O(n) sort function. On the other hand, O(nlogn) is the fastest sort algorithm in existence. (And I think it's been proven that it's the fastest possible.)

Its been proven that a comparison based sort cannot run faster than O(n log n).
Something like counting sort runs in O(n) because it is not dependent upon comparisons. Has a very restricted domain, however.

Thanks Data Structures final yesterday!

brandtsound

Postby brandtsound » Fri May 15, 2009 6:12 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Clearly, they are playing Risk. :p

Or perhaps Axis and Allies- I'd totally marry a girl who would play that one with me- but it takes hours/days! (but then again, so does Risk if you play a good opponent) Or Ticket to Ride (currently my girlfriend's favorite game- also played on a map)

Perhaps they are making a map for a Geocaching event :D Oh the possibilities- endless- which is the same amount of time he is going to waste if he doesn't let go of the "what could have been"

sad day.
~ brandtsound, inc. ~

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri May 15, 2009 6:12 am UTC

jackowayed wrote:
I'm guessing that should read "If you were my search function, ..." Anyone who's seen an array should be able to write an O(n) search function. On the other hand, O(nlogn) is the fastest sort algorithm in existence. (And I think it's been proven that it's the fastest possible.)

fixed.

The fastest search function (the hash function) is O(c). Imagine your have an array of numbered containers for storing objects. A hash function lets you convert the (deterministic) description of the object into a corresponding number. If your are being stingy with space, the hash function becomes O(n) as you get a collision almost every time and have to iterate through the array or a linked list (depending on the implementation).
Did you get the number on that truck?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”