0590: "Papyrus"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eversist

Re: "Papyrus" Discussion

Postby Eversist » Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 am UTC

I can totally relate as a Graphic Design student.
This particular comic is one of my favorites.

And I have a personal vendetta against Helvetica. People need to get over it, already. :)

Oh, and since everyone else is posting their own... I'm partial to Futura and Caslon. Bell Gothic is nice, too.

Zrana

Postby Zrana » Fri May 29, 2009 7:09 am UTC

Sigh. I guess I'm the only one who prefers Tahoma. Sure, some can't distinguish it from arial, but that's part of the charm when a teacher says the double spaced paper has to be in arial and I can sneak in Tahoma and take up just that much more space out of the font.

That, and I refuse to use a font that I have to stop and think to read half the time. Gah, I HATE it when people in chats use funky "pretty/cool/unique" fonts that are near impossible to read at conversational speed. Especially when they do stupid stuff like cyan on pink.

And I like Papyrus. I think it's pretty. So there. But I don't abuse it. (Because my computer doesn't have it anymore in part.)

tudzax1

Postby tudzax1 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:19 am UTC

So Papyrus gets used all the time by people who aren't professionals. Doesn't this mean people like the looks of it? They have all these fonts to choose from and keep hitting on this one enough to make all the pros go "oh, you simply can't use that" Font snobbery I say.

Soon these fancy pants designers are going to have us using the typographical equivalent of the outrageous dress and hat styles of the court of Louis XIV.

toshiro

Postby toshiro » Fri May 29, 2009 7:21 am UTC

Monaco > Courier New, and I dislike Helvetica for its mainstreamness.

Anyway; this comic made my day.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Wow, there are enough of us typography geeks that we can be made fun of?

Okay. The reason Papyrus is a faux pas is not that it's overused. It's that it's garish and fake-looking. Also, the caps are too big.

There are fonts that are non grata because of overuse. Times New Roman is one of these. The fact that it was the Microsoft Word default font for some twenty years shows that anyone who's using it just doesn't give two shits about design and is just using the default font. Another font like this is Trajan. It's a fine font, based on an exemplar that can't be beat—Emperor Trajan's column from ancient Rome—but it's used on every damn movie poster. Look at movie posters if you don't believe me. It's as if there's some sort of rule that you have to set the title in Trajan. So, Serious Designers will always shy away from Trajan, just because everyone uses it too much.

But for the most part, when designers frown upon a font—at least in my opinion—it's because it's actually hideous. Viz.: Comic Sans, Curlz MT, Arial (a bastardized version of Helvetica), Impact (all weight, no personality). Courier isn't in a whole lot of use because it's meant to look like a typewriter typed it, but usually when you want something that looks like that, you want something more corroded. Courier is built for function, but that function has passed with the era of typewriters.

By the way, Helvetica is, in fact, an inspired and excellent bit of type design. Its letterforms are all what you could call perfectly standard, but they deftly avoid looking like they were made to be just a standard, and instead function as a font that looks good in its own right, in addition to being, well, standard.

Also, some fonts are designed for computer screens, and look clunky in print. These are Tahoma, Verdana, Georgia, and Lucida, as well as others. Try not to put them on paper if you can help it, because it's not their native habitat and they get agitated.

(Typography geek cred: This is my font.)
Spoiler:

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri May 29, 2009 7:28 am UTC

I had to open MSW to get it properly, but since my brother is a typeface geek I did get it.

When my firm shifted its "use this font as standard" from Times New Roman 12 to Arial 11 it took a long time to get used to it. Now, though, I just think TNR looks old-fashioned, and Arial looks sort of neutral.

I heart Georgia for innocent items like shopping lists.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Fri May 29, 2009 7:30 am UTC

I love Papyrus!

My first 'professional' website used Papyrus for a few things... Of course, it fit the theme quite well I thought-besides looking great. Ok, so when I redid it a few years later I got rid of it... But still, it looked great.

It's 'overused'? Maybe... But it's awesome.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am UTC

Number3Pencils wrote:(Typography geek cred: This is my font.)

Nice for headings, signs, etc, because it's interesting, but if you sent me a letter in it I think I'd go blind. Different typefaces for different jobs? I guess that's what you were saying about the screen/paper thing too.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

mrt_456852

Postby mrt_456852 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:50 am UTC

masher wrote:But seriously, what other fonts are available that have "a" written as:
a.GIF

There are many. These are some of the free ones:

If you need a proper "a" for educational purposes, then Lilly is probably the way to go.

Mark.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 am UTC

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Fri May 29, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Tophe wrote:Century Gothic is pretty good.
Finally, somebody is talking sense.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

JohnHupp

Postby JohnHupp » Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 am UTC

adhair wrote:I was immediately reminded of http://xkcd.com/311/

Papyrus is also used for the title card of Serenity -- and therefore the name on the side of the ship. If Papyrus is good enough for Joss Whedon, it's obviously good enough for Randall Munroe.
Attachments
Serenity - Papyrus.png
Serenity - Papyrus.png (129.86 KiB) Viewed 11053 times

Hulyen

Postby Hulyen » Fri May 29, 2009 8:19 am UTC

Oh, good, I'm NOT the only person who feels compelled to swear aloud anytime they see Papyrus. I freaking HATE that font. Not because it's over-used. Not because 'every other designer hates it.' But because 99% of the time when it's used, it's used INCORRECTLY. There is almost never a legitimate design call for an Egyptian-style font (I will grant that the Serenity logo is one of the very few uses where it fits) and it just ends up making the whole design look horrible.

I bet upon viewing this comic, lots of my friends will think of me, but still not get it. :(

Hey, now that we've got all the typography nerds in one place, I want to share a story that I find hilarious and nobody else EVER laughs at:

I was at the grocery store late one night with my boyfriend looking for a snack, and we wandered into the frozen section. I saw an endcap of sale ice cream and went to take a look. I looked, sighed, then said out loud, "Ha ha. Very funny." My boyfriend gave me an odd look, and I explained: "This spumoni ice cream container has the font Spumoni on it." (Just the word "Spumoni" was in the font.) My boyfriend gave a sigh of his own, shook his head, and went to check out.

....I'm not a giant typography nerd, I SWEAR!

Edit: Just remembered this video.

Edit Edit: Apparently there's now a sequel to that video! ker-link!
Last edited by Hulyen on Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Frello

Postby Frello » Fri May 29, 2009 8:21 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:*cough*

Finally! I glanced over the whole thread to see, if someone should have mentioned PvP...if not, I would have done it meself.

Epsilon Vector

Postby Epsilon Vector » Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 am UTC

I still find it surprising that people have such strong feelings about fonts. Maybe you have to be a designer to get it... I dunno... Personally if someone showed me a sentence in Verdana, and after 15 minutes the same sentence in Comic Sans, I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference. So the 'e's and the 't's are slightly different, and one is more spaced out than the other... How can someone get passionate about such minuscule differences?

EugeneSlipped

Postby EugeneSlipped » Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 am UTC

littlelj wrote:I had to open MSW to get it properly, but since my brother is a typeface geek I did get it.

When my firm shifted its "use this font as standard" from Times New Roman 12 to Arial 11 it took a long time to get used to it. Now, though, I just think TNR looks old-fashioned, and Arial looks sort of neutral.

I heart Georgia for innocent items like shopping lists.
I agree, I used to always use TNR but now it just looks so old fashioned, and actually looks unappealing to me.

I like Arial as well... MSW07 uses Calibri, which is pretty much like Arial but a little more compressed, so that's not too bad.

For scriptwriting for my film course, we always use Courier New (It's pretty much the industry standard, so ho-hum).

As for the comic, I honestly didn't know Papyrus was an overused font :? In fact I had to open MSW to remember what it was heheh.
But... then again... it's sitting back in an open window poking it's head out from behind Firefox... a single line of Papyrus font... and it's starting to make my eyes angry...

Epsilon Vector wrote:I still find it surprising that people have such strong feelings about fonts. Maybe you have to be a designer to get it... I dunno... Personally if someone showed me a sentence in Verdana, and after 15 minutes the same sentence in Comic Sans, I don't think I'll be able to tell the difference. So the 'e's and the 't's are slightly different, and one is more spaced out than the other... How can someone get passionate about such minuscule differences?
But... but... Comic Sans is dirty! It's all rounded and uneven... it looks like a failed attempt at a child's handwriting, and only slightly like actual comic book writing... and who wants to read an entire manuscript written in comic book font? D:

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri May 29, 2009 9:08 am UTC

@Epsilon Vector: Oh me yarm WTF BBQ etc .... are you being serious? A little piccy for you, then you tell me that there aren't significant enough differences to notice even when they're not next to each other. I would suspect you have a variant of face blindness - font blindness - and therefore must excuse yourself from the discussion much as a face blind person cannot discuss movie stars.
Image <<< if you see nothing here, imageshack is being sulky. Try http://yfrog.com/e1comicdanap instead.

I have a feeling I'm being trolled, but let's see...

The a's are different shapes - Comic has a handwriting style, whilst Verdana is type style (has the "tail" over the top)
Everything in Comic is decidedly more rounded, except for the definitive straight-edge letters (A, V, E etc), and even they have slight bends, and everything has rounded ends. Verdana is much straighter.
Verdana also has taller lower case letters, not much shorter than the capitals, such that o's or the loops on d's are decidedly oval. Comic has noticably shorter ones, so those features are practically circular.

Come off it.

Personally, I like courier also, I need to start using it more. It's not only a holdover from the days of type (when it was the most readable, space-filling fixed width, "smart"/more readble (i.e. serifed) choice for using in a relatively imprecise stamping device like a typewriter) but also early computer printers. It was the NLQ default for my old Star LC200 dot matrix, and for my first two or three HP inkjets. If you're printing fixed width material, its even, nice to look at and to read. I think I'm going to try that Dark Courier one mentioned above though, as the modern styles are otherwise just too damn thin-stroke. (The weight it was on the old IBM Selectrics - which I had the good fortune to use a couple of in a library assistant temp job a couple years ago - is just about spot-on. Nice and clear for Dewey index labels (hence the typewriters - you try making them economically and accurately for quantities of 1 to ~20x 1.5" by 0.75" labels at a time on a printer), and looked pro and smart enough with that machine's consistant printing that I used it for a couple of documents and a christmas card just-because)

Also, now it's been mentioned, I must use Georgia more. Classic mid 20th century book font. It just looks right, yknow?

Papyrus itself ... I don't really care that much. But it is a sign of cheesy and lazy signmaking to revert back to that rather than hunting for something a bit more different, expressive and distinctive (its not exactly hard, these days!). Worst use I think is in... well... the "Papyrus" word processor splash screen :D (a sometime wannabe rival to Abiword and OpenOffice), a horrible yellow-green-blue vomit of a sort-of nile sunset scene. But that itself may even be appropriate, as it was a pretty terrible application...

Someone wanted a list of fonts with hand-style a's? Just from rolling thru the default list in Word on my work desktop PC, and stopping at M:
Bauhaus --- Berlin sans --- Blackadder ITC
Bradley Hand --- Brush Script ---Century Gothic
Comic Sans --- Edwardian Script ITC --- Forte
Freestyle Script --- French Script MT --- Gigi
Harlow Solid Italic (the Cocktail font)
Juice ITC --- Kunstler Script --- Lucida Calligraphy
Lucida Handwriting --- Magneto … font of the future
Matura MT Script
Mistral (my first well-used script font, from MS Works sometime back in 1993-4, when the world was in black and white and 3.75Mb was all you needed)
Monotype Corsiva (another heavily overused one … looks a lot like Lucida Calligraphy)

So... yeah. It could be a decent rule of thumb to say that if a font uses that a-shape, you need to be wary about where/when, or even if you should use it. A couple of those are solid, versatile classics. The rest are at best limited-use for very particular apps, at worst horrible abortions.

Hmmmm, and the thing I was originally going to post to this thread - has NO ONE linked to this yet? :D (found quickly after googling for a reminder on what the font looked like):
http://www.papyruswatch.com/2009/04/say-thank-you-with-papyrus.html
From april 20th ... inspiration, or just happy coincidence?
Last edited by tahrey on Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

ellaruby

Postby ellaruby » Fri May 29, 2009 9:11 am UTC

sje46 wrote:No love for Trebuchet MS?

YES.
Ill certainly give it some love.

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am UTC

Don't you find it just a bit... cramped, though?
Never really used it much but I just copypasta'd my post into word and set it with Trebuchet. Seems even more crowded than originally, at any size. Setting the spacing to about +0.3pt looks a bit better, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 am UTC

Frello wrote:
Domovoi wrote:*cough*

Finally! I glanced over the whole thread to see, if someone should have mentioned PvP...if not, I would have done it meself.

You saved me from bringing this up, too. The jokes are too similar and too close together.

I twitch when it comes to diabolical font usage. I also twitch when people print out A4 sheets of paper saying "PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR" in unjustified size 200 Arial. Would it seriously hurt to make it look aesthetically pleasing? I mean, you've only spent €20,000 making the front of your office façade look respectable and you Sellotape® a fucking cheap slice of paper carelessly over the front?!

And get this. Instead of clicking on 'justify centre', they, uh... They used the space bar to align the *twitch* words.

Don't get me started on screenbeans. MS Clipart had the dubious honour of looking outdated when it was actually new.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

jiggy

Postby jiggy » Fri May 29, 2009 9:52 am UTC

I don't mind Papyrus. I don't really see it as an "Egyptian" font, much less and ancient one. It's got a playfulness to it, but with a strength in the "frame" of some of the letters. It's kind of like the dad everyone wanted... willing to be there for you, to play with you, to give you a stern talking to when you did something wrong, but he would still love you afterward and he would let you know it, without actually saying it. You just didn't want everyone else to know all that. You wanted everyone to think you were upset at him for just being dad. So, y'all protest too much I think. Yeah... I just anthropomorphized a font into the ideal TV dad; sue me.

I like Georgia, printed, on paper. And yeah, it looks okay on screen too.
I'm in love with Garamond; in most all its forms. It's dreamy.

Cpt. Red

Postby Cpt. Red » Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Tophe wrote:Century Gothic is pretty good.

+1 for Century Gothic...

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Don't get me started on screenbeans. MS Clipart had the dubious honour of looking outdated when it was actually new.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH.
I've never agreed with anything more in my life.

My mum uses screenbeans all the time because she think it's brilliant how there is one for any occasion. Stop it. stop it now.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 am UTC

I don't get what everyone's problem with Comic Sans is...

I like Comic Sans. The only font I'd say I hate is Arial (though, there are variations of it I hate more). It's so...ugly. And big. It makes me feel like hitting someone.

eliotbeer

Postby eliotbeer » Fri May 29, 2009 10:38 am UTC

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Fri May 29, 2009 10:44 am UTC

I used to use papyrus all the time, now I use a custom font that's meant to look like the handwriting of Salvador Dali.
"Woof!", explained the dog

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:47 am UTC

I'm not telling what my current favorite is. My last two previous favorites immediately became entirely too popular the moment I started using them. :|

lihan161051

Postby lihan161051 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:I don't get what everyone's problem with Comic Sans is...

It's that "artificial whimsiness" that seems to make people think it's just the thing for taking a break from Arial and Helvetica. It's not that bad in and of itself, it's just a tragically popular choice among people who think it's cool to set type 3 or 4 times too large and colored like an angry fruit salad.

I don't hate Comic Sans nearly as much as I hate Marker Felt .. reminds me of how much of my childhood in the 70's was spent watching crappy ripoff TV shows that used something very much like it for all their titles. (Sherwood Schwartz comes to mind. :& )

doogleduck

Postby doogleduck » Fri May 29, 2009 11:02 am UTC

Brilliant, great to see Randall doing something for us design geeks instead of programmers once in a while :)

P.S. lately I've fallen in love with Letter Gothic Std. That is sexy.

funda

Postby funda » Fri May 29, 2009 11:12 am UTC

COMIC SANS FOREVER

;)

Ok, I like papyrus, but I just loooovvveeee Comic sans

How do I post in Comic sans here in the forum ?
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:19 am UTC

funda wrote:How do I post in Comic sans here in the forum ?

You should definitely do it for every post, by the way. Everyone will love you.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Link

Postby Link » Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 am UTC

funda wrote:How do I post in Comic sans here in the forum ?
If you take the plastic cover off the wall socket and lick the leads, all your posts will become Comic Sans!

Mhhm, Papyrus looks somewhat decent, but Comic Sans is Satan's sex slave.

Personally, I like Verdana and DejaVu Sans Mono.

KeithM

Postby KeithM » Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 am UTC

Typography geeks have a hard enough time with so many people around them being completely font-blind. But even a font-blind person should realise that a font that is meant to look as if it has been printed on rough paper is a nice idea for on the screen, but elsewhere you should go for the real thing.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 am UTC

I thought I had already seen xkcd making fun of Papyrus, but then I remembered it was Indexed.

Also, whomever is running amok on Wikipedia linking every xkcd strip to its vaguely related topics: you're pathetic.

eneref

Postby eneref » Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 am UTC

Gavroche42 wrote:Just because something is 'overused' doesn't mean people need to stop using it. This is the inverse function of doing something just because its fashionable. I remember in high school walking into the Latin class room. Five students were sitting all on the right side of the room. One of them told me, 'sit over here, we're all being non-conformists.' One student was sitting on the left side of the room. I guess she was supposed to be the 'conformist.' My mind has conveniently forgotten where I sat.

So if I stop using papyrus because people say its no longer cool to use papyrus. And if people are saying it is no longer cool to use papyrus because too many people are doing it, and it isn't cool to do something everyone else is doing. Where does that leave me? Sooner or later everyone will move to the opposite side of the room, and those still using papyrus will suddenly be the cool ones again.

And those of us who don't care whether we are cool, and just use the fonts we think look good to us...

The ones who despise Papyrus, mostly graphic designers and font geeks, tend to be what we jokingly call in Japanese 'kuuruzuki' -- those people who love anything 'cool.' They're marked by superficiality, and an over amount of disdain for the everyday and commonplace. If we all tried to live our lives around their rules, humankind would have offed itself centuries ago.

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri May 29, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

What the hell's wrong with Comic Sans??

It's the most 'kid friendly' font there is and therefore hugely important to me as I'm a teacher.

I noticed recently how fonts are so significant. I'm currently living in Spain and bought a bottle of olive oil where the label looked like it was from a really old story book. AND I bought some soy sauce which I knew was authentic because the font looked exactly like the one used on stuff when I lived over there.

Weird, huh.

ams

Postby ams » Fri May 29, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

Part of my job is newspaper page design. I'm not allowed to use non-standard fonts. All body text and headlines are Minion Pro. That's right; all of our headlines and body text are in the same serif font. The only time we use a sans serif font is for list text.

It aggravates me.

paolo

Postby paolo » Fri May 29, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Well, folks. While a lot of you thought about Papyrus as the paper thing, I thought about Papyrus the word processing program (no, I will not post a link, find it yourself :wink: ) that I own and use with my Atari, Mac and *shudder* Windows computers.
Food for geeks, uh?

EvilDavid

Postby EvilDavid » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

I got a "book overdue" fine notice from my university library in Comic Sans MS. I had to choose whether or not to return the book, knowing that if I did it would only validate their inappropriate word processing choices.

I expunge Times New Roman from anything I have any control over and I replace it with soothing Helvetica. I've even trained my family out of using TNR, but most of them are still stuck in "Arial" as a substitute. "Arial looks just like Helvetica and it is right at the top of the fonts list!" they say... *sigh* They won't be let out of rehab until they've kicked that habit too.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Fri May 29, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

To those who think Papyrus is okay:

It's typographically incorrect. Hence this comic. It's also overused.

Screenshot.png
*Shudder*
Screenshot.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 10583 times

*Shudder*

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”