0596: "Latitude"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mustus

Re: Latitude

Postby Mustus » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am UTC

videogamesizzle wrote:so i know we're supposed to put it together in our heads, but i'm not sure i want to...

Oh, I do! Although I like to imagine it without the failure part which leads her to hospital.

Squid Tamer wrote:I liked it, but I think that it would have been better if it had several people on the list, and their stories interacted in strange ways, and you had to figure it all out.

Yes, I would have liked it too, if it had been the point of the joke. I liked this joke very much too!

tiedyeina

Postby tiedyeina » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:29 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
Squid Tamer wrote:I liked it, but I think that it would have been better if it had several people on the list, and their stories interacted in strange ways, and you had to figure it all out.

But there is a relationship between Megan's and Robert's actions.

Apparently some of these fools don't see the obvious connection. Here you go folks:

Megan gets home, finds Robert in bed with a sexbot, engaged in some unimaginable fetish. A great battle ensues, with lasers and flying knives and things that seem to explode for no apparent reason. Eventually, Megan finds the sexbot's one weakness and declares "I am John Connor". Using Bayes' theorem, the sexbot evaluates the posterior probability of it being SkyNet, given the potential state transition 'Kill John Connor' and implodes.

To Celebrate, Megan dashes off to the adult toy store to buy a life-size blow-up Sarah Connor doll. Robert attempts to clean up the debris.

Megan arrives home and Robert tells her their child is being held hostage by a madman (like Speed 2 only with a bus instead of a boat). Some research (and science) later, they track down the madman's IP trail across the websphere and discover the madman's sexbot is the one Robert stole in a really exciting and intricate heist which will feature in a later comic as a prequel when the concept of making more sequels becomes too ridiculous to stomach. The madman can't cope without the sweet sexbot fetish loving any more.

Robert dashes to the school to stop their child's physics experiment (which only has two hours before it creates a giant black hole) while Megan runs to the sex toy store to try and find the madman a new sexbot. On the way, she runs down Marsellus Wallace before murdering a redneck and stealing their motorbike chopper.

Robert finds that the school has been taken over by raptors. He fights his way through them room by room trying to reach the science expertiment. Meanwhile, Megan couldn't find everything she needed to build a sexbot at the sex toy store, so comes home to sift through the wreckage for spare parts.

Robert is still fighting the raptors - Megan has completed the sexbot - she now goes to the electronics store so she can buy an mp3 player and some portable speakers. She wants to be able to play the Kill Bill Fight Theme in case the high speed sexbot delivery goes wrong and she needs to use her samurai training once more.

Having saved the world, Robert pops in to Subway for a well deserved snack.

Subway. Eat Fresh. The way a sandwich should be.

Meanwhile, Megan has delivered the sexbot without a hitch. The madman is happy and the children are saved.

Megan comes home and makes a cup of tea to celebrate. However, she slips and spills boiling water all over herself.

It was obvious, really, wasn't it?

Office_Shredder

Re: "Latitude" Discussion

Postby Office_Shredder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Hmm... I thought Megan bought a sexbot and installed an arc welder on it
Physics question: I'm sitting at my desk doing homework, when I get up to make myself dinner. I sit back down again. Where the hell did my pen go?!? Objects at rest tend to stay at rest my ass

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:36 am UTC

@ tiedyeina: Congratulations! You get a free cookie, and an Internetz to go!

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:39 am UTC

tiedyeina wrote:
dennisw wrote:
Squid Tamer wrote:2.30
Robert finds that the school has been taken over by raptors. He fights his way through them room by room trying to reach the science expertiment. Meanwhile, Megan couldn't find everything she needed to build a sexbot at the sex toy store, so comes home to sift through the wreckage for spare parts.

You were doing so well up to here. Unfortunately, everyone knows that not even the great Robert cannot successfully outmatch a raptor, let alone several.

tiedyeina

Postby tiedyeina » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 am UTC

Hey fix your quote editing there Talith ;)

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

Wow...um...three uncomfortably misogynistic strips in a row...

Omedetou.

tiedyeina

Postby tiedyeina » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

Wow...um...using a Japanese word when an English one would have sufficed...

šâd-bâš.

ubergeek

Postby ubergeek » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

Max2009 wrote:Longtime lurker here.
I broke my silence to wonder this:
We knew the girl's name was Megan from here.
Is this the first time we find out that the guy's name is Robert?
When do we get to learn Black Hat Guy's name and Beret Guy's name?

Comic related:
I don't understand the long discussion about power tool burns. I got that one immediately.
Am I more perverted than everybody else?

I was always under the impression that the main character's name is Randall, same as the author's.
See this comic: http://xkcd.com/120/
And this one: http://xkcd.com/135/

I've always seen XKCD as something of a stretched autobiography, really.
Last edited by ubergeek on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

funda

Postby funda » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

tiedyeina wrote:11.00
Megan gets home, finds Robert in bed with a sexbot, engaged in some unimaginable fetish. A great battle ensues, with lasers and flying knives and things that seem to explode for no apparent reason. Eventually, Megan finds the sexbot's one weakness and declares "I am John Connor". Using Bayes' theorem, the sexbot evaluates the posterior probability of it being SkyNet, given the potential state transition 'Kill John Connor' and implodes.

To Celebrate, Megan dashes off to the adult toy store to buy a life-size blow-up Sarah Connor doll. Robert attempts to clean up the debris.

Megan arrives home and Robert tells her their child is being held hostage by a madman (like Speed 2 only with a bus instead of a boat). Some research (and science) later, they track down the madman's IP trail across the websphere and discover the madman's sexbot is the one Robert stole in a really exciting and intricate heist which will feature in a later comic as a prequel when the concept of making more sequels becomes too ridiculous to stomach. The madman can't cope without the sweet sexbot fetish loving any more.

Robert dashes to the school to stop their child's physics experiment (which only has two hours before it creates a giant black hole) while Megan runs to the sex toy store to try and find the madman a new sexbot. On the way, she runs down Marsellus Wallace before murdering a redneck and stealing their motorbike chopper.

Robert is still fighting the raptors - Megan has completed the sexbot - she now goes to the electronics store so she can buy an mp3 player and some portable speakers. She wants to be able to play the Kill Bill Fight Theme in case the high speed sexbot delivery goes wrong and she needs to use her samurai training once more.

Subway. Eat Fresh. The way a sandwich should be.

Meanwhile, Megan has delivered the sexbot without a hitch. The madman is happy and the children are saved.

Megan comes home and makes a cup of tea to celebrate. However, she slips and spills boiling water all over herself.

It was obvious, really, wasn't it?

Of course !!!

How did I miss that :lol: Now that I think about it, that's defintely what happened.

Good one LadyIna. Am just going through ur comics now :P
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

mheney

Postby mheney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Link wrote:Reminds me of this. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

And for the musically inclined:

Reciprocated Love

This is exactly why we need more music and arts ion our schools!

tiedyeina

Postby tiedyeina » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

funda wrote:Good one LadyIna. Am just going through ur comics now :P

I'd like to clarify it was a long time *after* I acquired the nickname 'Ina' that I learned it was a fairly common girl's name.

:(

Grant10k

Postby Grant10k » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

So I pull out my trusty G1 to check latitude and hopefully catch someone doing something interesting and these are the results I got.

• Dad: Whittier, CA (He's in Georgia, but doesn't have a smartphone, so he just picked a location back in February. He's allegedly been in CA ever sense.)
  • My Coworker: (40 minutes ago) About 2 miles from Sarasota, FL. where she's on vacation. She's somewhere within 2 miles of the beach (possibly on the beach itself?).
  • Me: (8 minutes ago) At work

This thing isn't very good at catching people in the act when It can't pinpoint people down to less than about half a mile.

palkooo

Postby palkooo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:Counting the seconds before someone exclaims "I'm totally writing this application!"

http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/mi ... Id=1190128

jadewang

Postby jadewang » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

It's entirely possible that *Megan* is actually an android herself, went for upgrades, and then severely injured someone else (that is, someone other than Robert).

Upgrades are always tempting. I'm a robot. I would know. Even if they lead you to sharks.
"Existence has its own order and that no man’s mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others."
—Cormac Mccarthy, Blood Meridian
http://www.jadism.com

zombiefeynman

Postby zombiefeynman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

I thought he just used the name Megan because their last breakup was especially painful or something. Actually, that would explain the last three strips or so. And Robert is obviously Bobby Tables, who Hat Guy was tracking to test his application for SQL injection vulnerability.

(Duh)

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

ubergeek wrote:
Max2009 wrote:Longtime lurker here.
I broke my silence to wonder this:
We knew the girl's name was Megan from here.
Is this the first time we find out that the guy's name is Robert?
When do we get to learn Black Hat Guy's name and Beret Guy's name?

Comic related:
I don't understand the long discussion about power tool burns. I got that one immediately.

I was always under the impression that the main character's name is Randall, same as the author's.
See this comic: http://xkcd.com/120/
And this one: http://xkcd.com/135/

I've always seen XKCD as something of a stretched autobiography, really.

I concur that the main character is Randal, but not in autobiography, just in namesake, like Casey and Andy. I immediately thought it was referring to Bobby Roberts.
Roberts family:
  • Mother: L:Roberts aka Mrs. Roberts
  • Son: F:Robert'); DROP TABLE Students;-- L:Roberts aka 'Little Bobby Tables', Bobby, Robert
  • Daughter: F:Help I'm trapped in a driver's license factory M:Elaine L:Roberts aka Elaine
[edit:]Ninja'd
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

First time reader, long time poster. Just wanted to say that I really liked the thing that ina did.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

chriso

Postby chriso » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

I want to hang out with Megan more often. Rawr.

karryn

Postby karryn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

Am I the only one who knows about the Fuckzall? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fuckzall

Although, if you've read Bonk, you'll know that the motion this machine is capable of doesn't do it for most women...

If you don't have time to read the book, watch the TED talk: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/mary_roach_10_things_you_didn_t_know_about_orgasm.html

No live links before you have at least five posts. Please read the Rules threads. - Hammer
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live links removed

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Hmm...that was supposed to be an Evangelion joke, but in retrospect, it makes somewhere between little and no sense...

Sto Helit

Postby Sto Helit » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Wow...um...three uncomfortably misogynistic strips in a row...

Omedetou.

I don't quite see it...
I'm female and I found them funny. I suppose it's just a point of view though.
Do not crush the flowers of wisdom with the hobnail boots of cynicism.
Bill Bailey

You look just like you!
Eric Idle

…And one of them turned to me and said, 'Oh my God! Eric Idle!'
Michael Palin

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Let's see... vibrators... and then... drills? That's definitely an "internal hemorrhaging" kind of injury, not so much a burn.

EDIT:
tiedyeina wrote:like Speed 2 only with a bus instead of a boat

Speed 2, except switch the boat to a bus? Wouldn't that just be Speed 1? :mrgreen:
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

ztagged

Postby ztagged » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

See, this is why I skip Latitude and just use GPS Tracker. :D

Oh, and of the G1.. I recently had a stoner friend of mine playing with my 'droid, and the first words out of his mouth were.. "This phone looks like it was built to destroy things"; which is a pretty accurate summary.

Ekeda

Postby Ekeda » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:52 am UTC

I'm starting to think this last week was a disguised story arc:

Monday: Megan is so sick of this guy's misogynistic jokes that she breaks up with him.

Wednesday: He buys a sex bot to try and replace her.

Friday: He becomes increasingly obsessed with her, to the point of hiring Black Hat to track her whereabouts so that he can stalk her more easily.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:55 am UTC

I have a G1! Latitude is cool but I'm the only one in my social group with a G1. It's kinda sucky to remotely stalk myself. :(
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Comment 1
OK, this is the conspiracy theory for this week's comics...
On Monday, Robert makes a smart-ass joke to his girlfriend Megan.-
They break up on Tuesday, because Robert is a smart ass.
On Wednesday, Robert purchases a replacement Girlfriend, and shows it of to Randall (who is drinking a chick's drink).
On Tuesday, the following happens
(tiedyeina, i changed the story a little bit)
Spoiler:
tiedyeina wrote:11.00
Megan gets home (to apologize for breaking up), finds Robert in bed with the sexbot(that looks exactly like her), engaged in some unimaginable fetish (involving arc welding oral sex). Megan declares "I am John Connor". Using Bayes' theorem, the sexbot evaluates the posterior probability of it being SkyNet, given the potential state transition 'Kill John Connor' and implodes.

and finally, on Friday, Hat-Guy is showing off his new phone to Randall. Randall then tells Hat-guy about Wednesday's shenanigans (why is that word in spell check?) and that reminds Hat-Guy of what happened on Thursday. which is where the comic starts (with Hat-Guy explaining latitude)

Comment 2
Randall, if your reading this...
Did a girl called Megan break your heart in the past?
Was it with your best friend?
Was Miss lienhart a Teacher in your past?
Is my detective work up to scratch?

Comment 3
Max2009 wrote:I don't understand the long discussion about power tool burns. I got that one immediately.

I also got that joke. Man, friction's a bitch. and relax, just as long as you don't always say, "that's what she said" all the time, your not perverted, just quick-witted, like me.
Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he gave up their location.

skordge

Postby skordge » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:47 am UTC

Damn, this comic made me come up with something: gyroscope-based sex toys for women.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Now when you say "come up"...
Jack Bauer once forgot where he put his keys. He then spent the next half-hour torturing himself until he gave up their location.

skordge

Postby skordge » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:19 am UTC

Awesomeness wrote:Now when you say "come up"...

... you come up?
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 am UTC

well played

Apathy

Postby Apathy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Fuzzy Toaster wrote:HILARIOUS
I'd like to see a list of places Black Hat Guy's been...

You don't need that to follow him, just watch the news. :wink:
Al tho we can't always tell its him...

ztagged wrote:Oh, and of the G1.. I recently had a stoner friend of mine playing with my 'droid, and the first words out of his mouth were.. "This phone looks like it was built to destroy things"; which is a pretty accurate summary.

I've been thinking the same thing about apple products since the first time I saw this thing. :?

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:48 am UTC

Awesomeness wrote:
Max2009 wrote:I don't understand the long discussion about power tool burns. I got that one immediately.

I also got that joke. Man, friction's a bitch. and relax, just as long as you don't always say, "that's what she said" all the time, your not perverted, just quick-witted, like me.

Man, I'm so quick-witted sometimes I can't keep up with myself. :lol:
And I like to think that EVERYbody is perverted, to some extent or another.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

Of course, the real question is what Megan was doing in tool shops when she has a perfectly good STAPLE GUN!
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Uh, where's sje46? Isn't it ironic that we don't know where he is in a comic about GPS?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Norrell

Postby Norrell » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

When I saw the comic this was what came into mind directly, sadly it is in swedish but I think you get part of the point if you watch it. Atleast the creepy bit. Tar, hamsters, internal bleeding and so on.

Apathy

Postby Apathy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Norrell wrote:When I saw the comic this was what came into mind directly, sadly it is in swedish but I think you get part of the point if you watch it. Atleast the creepy bit. Tar, hamsters, internal bleeding and so on.

:D Fy fan, sjukt roligt! Awesomely Funny! :D They have done more of those, first one I saw was the one with the messed up conscience! :mrgreen:

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 am UTC

Android owns.

iceberg

Postby iceberg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:04 am UTC

zombiefeynman wrote:I thought he just used the name Megan because their last breakup was especially painful or something. Actually, that would explain the last three strips or so. And Robert is obviously Bobby Tables, who Hat Guy was tracking to test his application for SQL injection vulnerability.

(Duh)

after searching the site via the ohnorobot search thing:
list of comics with the name megan
http://xkcd.com/420/
http://xkcd.com/478/
http://xkcd.com/159/
http://xkcd.com/439/
http://xkcd.com/215/

obviously randall has girlfriend issues... now move on
}{}{}{}{}{
you put your mouth on that, and your not even wearing any underwear

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:42 am UTC

10nitro wrote:I concur that the main character is Randal, but not in autobiography, just in namesake, like Casey and Andy.
Or MegaTokyo (though Casey and Andy is more obvious since that's the title of the comic)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”