0602: "Overstimulated"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nothing Signified

Re: "Overstimulated" Discussion

Postby Nothing Signified » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Being judgmental is pretty great. Hey Randall, how about posting judgmentally about people who type extraneous silent vowels?

firinne

Postby firinne » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Nothing Signifid wrote:Being judgmental is pretty gret. Hey Randall, how about posting judgmentally about pepl who typ extraneus silent vowls?

Fixd.

joeyhndc

Postby joeyhndc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Feddlefew wrote:I feel obliged to show up, and then it's so loud and I can't understand what everyone's saying because the music and peoples voices and doors opening and closing and the air conditioning are all running together.

I can relate. For some reason I'm always interpreting what people around me are saying. It's like eavesdropping, but I can't turn it off. When it starts running together (right around 3 different sound sources) I can't handle it. I catch fragments of conversation on all sides, never getting the whole thing unless I concentrate as hard as I can on one source, and that's incredibly draining. When that happens, I either retreat to a corner somewhere and people-watch, or just start singing along to the music to have something to mindlessly distract me. I only go to parties when my sister guilts me into it (she knows I have a problem with dissapointing people), and that scenario plays out every time until I drive her home.

I can also contribute to discussions while playing video games, so the always-on thing isn't all bad.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess the quote script messed up somehow. Sorry Jalapeno, It's all fixed now.
Last edited by joeyhndc on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

For some reason I found this strip of comic horribly frightening, almost nightmarish in nature. Rondall appears to have a circular sliver of bronze connected to his cortex yet dangling to nowhere. Biting on it's end is like nails on a chalkboard. Perhaps a haircut is in order?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

joeyhndc wrote:
Feddlefew wrote:I feel obliged to show up, and then it's so loud and I can't understand what everyone's saying because the music and peoples voices and doors opening and closing and the air conditioning are all running together.

I can relate. For some reason I'm always interpreting what people around me are saying. It's like eavesdropping, but I can't turn it off. When it starts running together (right around 3 different sound sources) I can't handle it. I catch fragments of conversation on all sides, never getting the whole thing unless I concentrate as hard as I can on one source, and that's incredibly draining. When that happens, I either retreat to a corner somewhere and people-watch, or just start singing along to the music to have something to mindlessly distract me. I only go to parties when my sister guilts me into it (she knows I have a problem with dissapointing people), and that scenario plays out every time until I drive her home.

I can also contribute to discussions while playing video games, so the always-on thing isn't all bad.

I do the same thing when I'm playing video games and stuff. It tends to annoy people, though. The only way I can turn it off is by reading, and if I do that at social gatherings, well, people try to get me to socialize more. :(
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

joeyhndc wrote:I can relate. For some reason I'm always interpreting what people around me are saying. It's like eavesdropping, but I can't turn it off. When it starts running together (right around 3 different sound sources) I can't handle it. I catch fragments of conversation on all sides, never getting the whole thing unless I concentrate as hard as I can on one source, and that's incredibly draining. When that happens, I either retreat to a corner somewhere and people-watch, or just start singing along to the music to have something to mindlessly distract me. I only go to parties when my sister guilts me into it (she knows I have a problem with dissapointing people), and that scenario plays out every time until I drive her home.

Oh me too. I'm an introvert with ADD and that results in me paying attention to EVERYTHING (because of the ADD thing) and being completely drained by people (because of the introvert thing). However, if I can get myself to drift off into my head (ADD land) I can sort of deal, but everyone around me thinks I'm upset or something.

The ability to hear and comprehend three people at once is really helpful in my job and makes me better at said job (have to hear anchor, producer, any crew that needs to tell me something all at the same time) but in a party/big group situation it is just frustrating.

Rupac

Postby Rupac » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

3tard wrote:i think hes just trying to test for convergence of a depleted harmonic series.

my math zone is trying to come up with an elegant way to find area under a curve by using circles instead of rectangles or trapezoids.

ZOMG. The Circle thing. I have been thinking the EXACT same thing for months. There has to be a way to do it.. I'll ponder it too at my next party. :P

Code: Select all

#include <iostream> //for graphics

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

olgarithm wrote:Also this comic reminded me really strongly of this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

Great link, thanks!

You guys are going to the wrong parties. Where I go, if you zone out, someone taps you on the shoulder and asks if they can help. I love FIRST robotics.
I love my team, for the first time in recent memory I'm in a group of like-minded peers of the intelligence that I can't be referred to as `the smart one'. Although, I am a freshman hanging out with juniors and seniors, so it probably won't last...

Rupac wrote:
3tard wrote:i think hes just trying to test for convergence of a depleted harmonic series.

my math zone is trying to come up with an elegant way to find area under a curve by using circles instead of rectangles or trapezoids.

ZOMG. The Circle thing. I have been thinking the EXACT same thing for months. There has to be a way to do it.. I'll ponder it too at my next party. :P

Last quarter, my grade dropped in Algebra II because I became obsessed with this and stopped paying attention/doing assignments. Although, I was doing it for a vector-graphics frame-buffer (no code is actually written, but I have several papers describing the necessary algorithms).

[edit:] splelling
Last edited by 10nitro on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

10nitro wrote:
olgarithm wrote:Also this comic reminded me really strongly of this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

Great link, thanks!

I read that article too.
Are introverts arrogant? Hardly. I suppose this common misconception has to do with our being more intelligent, more reflective, more independent, more level-headed, more refined, and more sensitive than extroverts.

:roll: The whole article drips with arrogance. There's a difference between being tired of other's gossiping and feeling like you're better than they are.

This comic makes me happy though, I've definitely been there. I always felt a little stupid, because I don't really know how to talk about other people much. I'm just like "Err... oh."

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

Get out of my bed, Randall!

pensive bosom

Postby pensive bosom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

There have definitely been parties at which I've succumbed to the gossip-instinct. An unfortunate fact about graduate school is that even one's academically nearest associates generally have such divergent interests that the most convenient common ground isn't necessarily academic in nature, unless the extremely boring topic of which professors you find weirdest counts as an academic topic.

sithwalrus

Postby sithwalrus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Best xkcd comic ever.... i do that all the time when i hang out with almost normal people.

Spoom

Postby Spoom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

I'll echo everyone else: Get out of my head, Randall!

I actually sometimes feel this way when I go to certain extended friend groups' parties, which is why for New Years I usually get together with my fiancee and two of our closest friends, eat wings, and play Rock Band, rather than going to the usual huge party with most of my friends.
All other things being equal, the simplest solution is ale.

Sly Si

Postby Sly Si » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Yep, GOOMHR here, too.

This is exactly me on too much math, too little sleep, and too many loud drunk people. Except the math I do in my head never makes any sense at all. It's almost like a brief dream--I can make sense of it while I'm thinking about it, but then 5 seconds later I come to my senses and have no idea what I was thinking about.

Larethan

Postby Larethan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:09 pm UTC

It is always so uncomfortably easy, when surrounded by people talking about random crap that you don't actually care about, having been forced upon their conversation by some imbecilic wretches, to do just that. Be it falling into a kind of semi-sleep for a few minutes, with the comforting quiet drone of human activity going on around you, whilst you think, and do nothing, or running through the entire conversation in your head and coming up with super wity things that would have brought endless admiration, if they were not half an hour too late.

Tiredness+Dullness=Amazingly awesome mathematical abilty. (More so, naturally)

Yet again, Randall, you astound me with your ability to mimic everyones feelings-your own feelings, and display them in such a wonderously deep and generally awesome manner.

ccb

Postby ccb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I wish that I could avoid zoning out at parties. Pretty much all I do is daydream about things I'd rather be doing, though it's been a while since math was on there. Do spreadsheet simulations count?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

quite simply, you all are nothing but a bunch of?????????????????

Simon17

Postby Simon17 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Oh me yarm! I went to a party once!
Get out of my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randall, get out of my trunk!

tpcooper

Postby tpcooper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I am guilty of this at parties and bars, often to the point that I bring a pen and some legal pads whenever I go to one. When things get away from anything even remotely interesting, I start working on papers, policy analysis, etc. I've even managed to get an article I wrote while at a party published (it was about the importance of getting local business owners to contribute/buy into economic development plans in small communities). The bartender/owner is actually the one who got me going on the subject when he mentioned something about the rezoning and redevelopment they were planning in the neighborhood.
So as not to confuse anyone, however, my ideas of interesting are probably different than most other forum goers here. While I did study math and physics, I turned to politics and law. The things that get me going are policy, legislative procedures, and budgetary policy/formulation (I know, there is something deeply wrong with me).

Deviant

Postby Deviant » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

I do this so often its sometimes a problem! Zoning out and thinking about math or programming problems, fantastic way to while away the time. Not so fantastic when the girl your having coffee with asks you your opinion on everything shes just said but you were too zoned out to listen...

emerald

Postby emerald » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Awww, apparently even Randall gets caught by "judgmental". It happens to the best of us ...

ult_sandwich

Postby ult_sandwich » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Feddlefew wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Aspergers for the win :P Forget parties; that's my life.

You have AS too?

this forum never fails to outfunny its comic

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

tpcooper wrote:I am guilty of this at parties and bars, often to the point that I bring a pen and some legal pads whenever I go to one. When things get away from anything even remotely interesting, I start working on papers, policy analysis, etc. I've even managed to get an article I wrote while at a party published

I always have a notepad, a pen (oft in a pocket protector), and a calculator with me. And that's how I write all my school papers (well, except the ones where I sat down with my laptop at 1:00am, went to sleep and dream-typed them the night before they were due.
Last edited by 10nitro on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:18 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:45 am UTC

ult_sandwich wrote:
Feddlefew wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Aspergers for the win :P Forget parties; that's my life.

You have AS too?

this forum never fails to outfunny its comic

Rhetorical question was rhetorical.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am UTC

So, who here identifies with Jeff? In the sense that you know or suspect people of talking about you behind your back?

I don't know, so I naturally assume. Since I am just that awesome yet humble.

leeping

Postby leeping » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Quoting one of the previous posters, I sometimes feel this way at parties if people are discussing topics that I have no idea about (friends I haven't met, events I haven't heard about, TV shows I don't watch). That being said, I think it's snobby to look down on _general_ conversation topics at parties (people, events, TV shows).

Conversation topics at parties are all about what people have in common. You might have deeper thoughts than those around you, but parties are for connecting to other people, not thinking to oneself. As long as I can somehow join in, I find a nonscientific conversation relaxing and even enriching. Why go to a party if you've got the preconceived notion that normal people talk only about mundane brainless things?

I liked how the guy visualized his summation (as a physics student, I always draw mental pictures of my problems), but I can't imagine how that particular problem could be solved by visualizing it.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 am UTC

My favorite thing to do at parties is not retreat into a state of introversion in which I'm not interacting with people in any way whatsoever (which would largely negate my attendance), and then despite not actually paying any significant attention to what's going on, and in fact being completely antisocial, make judgmental blanket statements about everybody else's shortcomings as they're clearly the problem here.

This is of course, okay, because I'm smart enough to diagnose myself with ass burgers after reading the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry.

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Hey everyone, I checked Google Trends for "harmonic series", "prime numbers", "harmonic series of prime numbers", etc, and I found absolutely nothing!

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Incompetent wrote:One comment: the guy doesn't look overstimulated to me - he could only get overstimulated if he cared about what everyone was saying and was trying to keep up. He just looks... tired of the tedious gossip.
Well, the other people at the party seem to be having a really intense bitch-fest... I imagine the guy was trying to keep up with the conversation at first, trying to keep track of the different people and all their supposed issues, and then he got overwhelmed by both the level of nastiness and the sheer volume of semi-connected complaints flying around. Some people in the same situation would be simply bored, but the title and also the art in panels 4 and 5 imply that this guy is sensitive to the negativity around him and escapes to his happy math place so as not to freak out. [Edit: especially, notice how he's ducking/cowering in panel 4.]

Feddlefew wrote:I have a problem with people who I know being nice and inviting me to parties. I'm probably going to sound like a jerk saying this, but I really don't like it when they do. I feel obliged to show up, and then it's so loud and I can't understand what everyone's saying because the music and peoples voices and doors opening and closing and the air conditioning are all running together.
If you thanked them for inviting you but told them that you aren't really into parties, chances are they'd be fine with that. If it's a milestone sort of occasion, like a wedding or a graduation, they might feel like they really want all their friends there to celebrate with them... But if it's just a case of, "Hey, I'm having a whole bunch of folks over to drink a lot of beer and make noise," then there's no reason for them to take it personally if you don't feel like doing that.

If I were having an "everybody come on over to eat, drink, and be merry" party (which I don't because my apartment is too small and my landlady is too noise-sensitive, but I'm hoping to fix that soon), I would invite all my friends because I would want them to all know that they were welcome. I would figure that I'm giving them all the opportunity to come over and party, and it's their choice whether they feel like doing so or not... whereas to not invite someone might make them feel left out or unwanted.

If in doubt, you can always ask plainly... "Hey, would it hurt your feelings if I didn't come to your party? I really like you, but I just don't enjoy big parties very much; I'd rather hang out one-on-one." Communication FTW. :)
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:28 am UTC

I prefer dabbling in design/engineering to mathematics. Then again, I'm sort of afraid of taking precalc/calc. And then there's the fact that I'm a sophomore in college already. Though yeah, that sequence happens to me every so often. The highest I ever got counting prime numbers was in the 70s or 80s.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:31 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:If in doubt, you can always ask plainly... "Hey, would it hurt your feelings if I didn't come to your party? I really like you, but I just don't enjoy big parties very much; I'd rather hang out one-on-one." Communication FTW. :)

Direct communication? Stating one's concerns clearly, on the spot? Without a high probability of misspeaking (or worse, excessive honesty) and horribly offending the other person?

Your suggestion indicates that you probably are NOT the guy in the comic. You may as well ask him to convey his intent via telepathy, or perhaps broadway showtunes. Much safer to send one's body to the party and go astral.

Over a decade since this comic was GOOMHR for me, but still remember it well.

DrKaz

Postby DrKaz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Can I please have Katie's number?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Feddlefew wrote:You have AS too?
There are quite a few of us here.

For those who don't understand overstimulation, it's when there's too much socialising going on (draining for introverts) or too much sensory input (auditory, visual, olfactory etc - distressing for those with sensory integration dysfunctions). You get stressed, tired etc and have to take time out to think relaxing thoughts. If all that sounds odd to you, then you probably just don't have the kind of brain for which it's a problem :)

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

You know, as an opera singer, every time I'm at a gathering this large, where at least a half-dozen conversations are going on at once, I think of Mozart. There is a certain harmony to such gatherings, and Wolfgang was a master of adapting it into music. At one point in The Marriage of Figarro, there are about five conversations happening at once. It's nearly impossible to follow, but absolutely beautiful to hear.

And then I hear, "And what do you think?" I gradually become aware that the question was posed to me.

tl;dr GET OUT OF MY HEAD, RANDALL!

Apollo

Postby Apollo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Did...Did Randall just post a self-referential strip?

there is no zero

Postby there is no zero » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

I can imagine myself doing math at a party. I can't imagine myself talking judgmentally about people, though.

Whynaut

Postby Whynaut » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

I do this all the time too, although not with math.

I am therefore obligated by forum law to proclaim: Randall, get out of my head!! (or, it would seem, the collective subconsciousness of the entire forum)

Amarantha wrote:For those who don't understand overstimulation, it's when there's too much socialising going on (draining for introverts) or too much sensory input (auditory, visual, olfactory etc - distressing for those with sensory integration dysfunctions). You get stressed, tired etc and have to take time out to think relaxing thoughts.

I have both problems. I am a strongly expressed introvert, and have an auditory issue, almost identical to this:

Sunidesus wrote:I catch fragments of conversation on all sides, never getting the whole thing unless I concentrate as hard as I can on one source, and that's incredibly draining.
The only way to deal with people you can't stand is to stand somewhere else.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Ya, that's Auditory Integration Dysfunction. Your ears can hear just fine, but the part of your brain that separates out simultaneous sounds into separate streams doesn't work right.

jlamothe

Postby jlamothe » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:59 am UTC

Okay, this is my first "Randall get out of my head" moment in a while. I do this all the live long day.

Also, Randall has (intentionally or not) just done this to me. :(

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”