0249: "Chess Photo"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hezekiah

0249: "Chess Photo"

Postby hezekiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:04 am UTC

Alt Text: We once tried playing blindfold chess on the Aerosmith ride at Disney World.

As much fun as that would be, I've got 2 things preventing me from making this a reality;
1) On-ride photos are, like, 8 bucks or something. Ridiculous.
2) I don't have a chess set to do that to. I mean, I've got a couple sets, but they're too good to wreck with glue.
But, if anyone has / does do this, I'd love to see it.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I will pay someone up to $15 for reimbursement if they can actually get this photo.

It has to be good though... stroking chin, looking like you're deep in thought, and, of course, an interesting position. Setting up in the starting position is no good.

("Interesting" could mean mean things things though... perhaps a good "mate in x" puzzle, perhaps a notable position from some historic game or something like that, or maybe some next-to-impossible position like with most of the pieces on the board but two bishops of the same color.)

EDIT #1: Contact me before you try so we can work out details. (I am so serious here.)

EDIT #2: "'Interesting' could mean mean things things though"? WTF am I smoking? That should say "'Interesting' could mean different things though"
Last edited by EvanED on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

kertrats

Postby kertrats » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 am UTC

That guy is NOT wearing a coat.

I call fraud.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 am UTC

even better would be if you were playing with the person next to you

Noob

Postby Noob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I just registered to say "dope!". And I would've been another one of the people who woulda came in on the Ender's game comic, but that'd be a full boat. Great concept for this comic.

kertrats wrote:That guy is NOT wearing a coat.

I call fraud.

He could've used the coat to smuggle the board onto the ride, then took the coat off.

hezekiah

Postby hezekiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Y'know, Evan, we're not really all that far apart... think of the possibilities :)

As for the coat, there are quite a few possibilities. Maybe it was a cheap coat, and they just tossed it or "accidentally" dropped it off the ride? Maybe it's concealed under the board?

On-ride photos are a fun place to cause some mischief.

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 am UTC

No, because ride technicians usually check to make sure people are strapped in properly and not doing things like this. So the coat would be needed until you actually start to climb that first big hill, at which point you could take it out.

Holding onto the board and looking appropriately calm/thoughtful seem like an incredibly difficult task to me. I couldn't do it. If I had money I'd add to Evan's bounty. I might consider doing so anyway...
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

Xane

Postby Xane » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 am UTC

theres a place at the rides where you can put your coat, usually right next to the ride, you can toss the coat right before the ride starts

hezekiah

Postby hezekiah » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Damn, y'all are making me look like a cheap-ass...

Xane wrote:theres a place at the rides where you can put your coat, usually right next to the ride, you can toss the coat right before the ride starts

Uh... revealing your chess set before you left the station wouldn't be the best of ideas, as Fieari so eloquently pointed out.

TheProfoundWord

Postby TheProfoundWord » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:40 am UTC

I'm seriously considering trying this. There happens to be a roller coaster inside the Adventure Dome in Circus Circus that I've been on over four dozen times. Needless to say, it no longer holds any appeal to me. I'd have to figure out how to smuggle it on there however. I doubt just a coat would do it, as the pieces would be dislodged from the board because of the pressure from the safety harness. I'm thinking a checkers board would be more reliable, though not quite as entertaining. Additionally, I may need to adhere the actual board to my hand, otherwise the board might fly from my grip, possibly decapitating someone (although this would be a humorous turn of events). If you guys can come up with a good idea, I'll see if I can put it into play.
Last edited by TheProfoundWord on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 am UTC

A strap on the bottom of the board could solve that problem. As for not crushing the pieces... that's trickier. You could drill tiny holes in the bottom of the board, through which you string fishing line, to which to attach the pieces. You then have the pieces lay flat under your coat, and when you pull it out, you simply pull the string and they're all in position.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I think it would be fair if you used a travel chess set, though it does have to be plainly visible from the photo, and I think with the travel set it would be better done with the person next to you playing against you.

I wouldn't pay for checkers, though I might for go...

Nigy

Postby Nigy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 am UTC

I really think this would be better with two people playing each other; the fact that two people are hanging onto the board would also lessen the chances of the board flying off and decapitating someone (no matter how funny this may be).

TheProfoundWord

Postby TheProfoundWord » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Fieari wrote:You could drill tiny holes in the bottom of the board, through which you string fishing line, to which to attach the pieces. You then have the pieces lay flat under your coat, and when you pull it out, you simply pull the string and they're all in position.

Not a bad idea, though I'm not sure if that would do the trick. To give a better description of the ride, the safety harness comes from above and covers you in a V shape, from both shoulders to about the groin. The first time I rode it my head was constantly banged between the bars on the harness haha. Anyway, it restricts arm movement, though I would still probably be able to pull out the board from my jacket. The photos are taken right after a double loop, which was the only reason I was worried about losing my grip on the board. If we happen to spawn a plausible idea, I'd probably need to do a few test runs to iron out any kinks.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Someone could find an old wooden coaster or something like that which just has lap bars. I know a few of them in PA (not a big coaster fan myself), though I don't think any have photos. Finding the two together might be hard.

Or you could, with a sufficiently good camera and tripod, take your own. (I'm assuming amusement parks aren't anal enough to not allow you to bring tripods. I don't know if this is a good assumption.)
Last edited by EvanED on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:00 am UTC

My friend and I are planning on doing this at a local amusement park very soon. If we are unable to do this sometime this week (Spring Break) we'll do this on a day where all of the Physics classes go there. I'll buy the picture and scan it for y'all.

thezpn

Postby thezpn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 am UTC

Mr. Randall Munroe, it's on. It's up to you whether or not you participate, but I have decided that I am going to pull some strings and get this thing done. I used to work at Busch Gardens, Williamsburg for 5 years, and I have ridden Apollo's Chariot many times, and done many silly photos, but nothing with props. I think if I were able to clear it with the photo booth ahead of time, I could easily sneak a folded chess board with pieces onto the ride under a largish teeshirt, then pull it out past the last security camera at the top of the lift hill, probably on the large circular lifting turn where the ride is calmest, then, two people, myself being one, could mime playing chess on the second to last drop where the photo is taken, possibly while someone else holds one of those chess timekeeping clocks, and another person, well, acts like a nerd.

This is very possible. The main risk is being evicted from the park when the people at the photobooth see the picture. However, the photobooth workers aren't the same safety nuts who manage the ride itself, so I think they might get a kick out of it.

Anyway, anyone else near Williamsburg want to give it a go? Hopefully sometime after "Griffon" opens? or during Howl-O-Scream?

TheProfoundWord

Postby TheProfoundWord » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:10 am UTC

Haha, I smell competition! If I do this, it will probably be after next weekend, as I have a convention to work. I am now feeling tempted to try this with props other than just a chess board, though what I am unsure of. Perhaps a mini-billiards table? I remember seeing those at my neice's birthday party at Chuckee Cheese.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Great. Now we ALL have to do this. :P
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

DetectiveDaughter

Postby DetectiveDaughter » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:20 am UTC

I really hope someone manages to get this done. I think it would be the most amazing photo ever.

joeythehobo

Postby joeythehobo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 am UTC

kertrats wrote:That guy is NOT wearing a coat.

I call fraud.

Well lets look at this logically.

His clothes are two dimensional, as they lie directly on top of his stick figure-ness, but do not exceed his body lines. Therefore, if he had a coat, it would be directly on his body, just like his shirts/pants. He could slip the chess set into it, and pull it out, all while remaining a figure-of-stick.

Meh, that's just how I see it anyway.
-Because, really, the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is the amount of press coverage-

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:29 am UTC

thezpn wrote:This is very possible. The main risk is being evicted from the park when the people at the photobooth see the picture.

I would suggest putting more confidants in the other rows of the ride acting normally so that if they pull you off before you have a chance to get the picture, someone will still be around to be able to buy the picture.

hollimichele

Postby hollimichele » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 am UTC

You know, it's not actually necessary to smuggle the board in on your person. Most rides allow purses or other bags on, as long as they have that webbed pouch on the back of the seat to stow your things. I carry a giant enough purse that it may technically be a tote bag, and the last time I was in Disney World I carried it with me on every ride. Just get the board out in time for your photo, and you're golden.

zdude255

Postby zdude255 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:40 am UTC

If you do this at Disney, it probably won't be shown after the ride and they probably won't sell it to you. Liability reasons mostly... Can't say anything about other places though.

They do the same thing for obscene type stuff too.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:08 am UTC

thezpn wrote:...then pull it out past the last security camera at the top of the lift hill...

Wait just a second. If they saw you doing this, would they stop the coaster? Why do they have cameras?

zdude255 wrote:They do the same thing for obscene type stuff too.

Speaking empirically here bud?
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

zdude255

Postby zdude255 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:31 am UTC

Haha, no, I actually worked on the Aerosmith ride at Disney so I hear what goes on.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:46 am UTC

HAHAHA. This is the first Laugh Out Loud Scare My Roommates XKCD in a while.

Well played, Mr. Munroe, well played.

Chess FTW.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:07 am UTC

I'd try this out with a piece of paper before a full blown chess set, just to get an idea of how much the wind is going to yank at it.
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

Phob0s

Postby Phob0s » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:39 am UTC

Actually, the other day, I was at disneyland and something similar happened.
I was on a ride with my friend, and at one point i noticed something fluttering around at my legs, so I picked it up and unfolded it, and yelled to my friend.
within the next two seconds the picture was taken, then the map ripped in half... It was the best timing I've ever had.

The picture was amazing, and looked like we'd planned it...
But I didn't get it.
happened to be the one day I was flat broke.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:57 am UTC

LOL!!!!

Absolutely incedible.

When you guys do these, I TOTALLY want to see!!

I'd do one mself if there was a chance of me ever going to an amusement park within the next few years.

I am, however, inspired. I shall be thinking of bizzare chess situations I could stage *nod* indeed I will.!!!
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:03 am UTC

Whoever does this has to use the self-solving puzzle from this page.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am UTC

Ha. Brilliant.

One of these roller coaster souvenir photos is my favorite picture I've seen of my little brother. It was his first time on a large roller coaster, and he was absolutely mortified, but my stepdad had pointed the camera out to him and he was trying to smile. We bought that one.
Mine are always pretty boring. I'm usually completely expressionless.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:10 am UTC

hahaaa~ I couldn't be expressionless on a rollarcoaster if i tried. I love them too much! I've always got this really doofus looking grin.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:14 am UTC

I have my glasses off so I don't lose them, so I can hardly see anything. (I am ridiculously nearsighted). Depending on the roller coaster, it is either boring that way, or absolutely terrifying that way.
Either way, I'm death-gripping the safety bar.

Akira

Postby Akira » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am UTC

Hahaa I almsot never hold on XD I'm the one with her hand sin the ai the WHOLE ride, even when it's going a half a mile an hour starting out.

Unless it's one of those that you'r ehanging. THen I hold on.

Also, if it's one that starts out like a gunshot, becuase you could breka your arms like that. *nod*

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 am UTC

One time I was waiting in line for a roller coaster at a Six Flags somewhere (I don't even remember what state we were in. Probably Ohio) and we were next, about to get into the car, when they had to shut the ride down because somebody had thrown up all over the car. Usually, that is not a HUGE deal, but that person had spinal meningitis.
:?
It was on the news the next day. All of the Six Flags employees working at that ride had to get vaccinated. I was freaking out, doing the "meningitis test" (where you check to see if you can touch your chin to your chest) every few minutes.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

Man that picture would be awesome. Id probably do what Fieari suggested, then go on a ride without full restraints, Or possibly a foldable travel one that i could slip in somewhere... although to be honest, i doubt 90% of the staff would even care. Their just regular folk who have to watch people having fun all day, surely must be draining.

suso

Postby suso » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:02 pm UTC

Funny idea. I think if someone does do this they are going to have to consider a few things:
  • Get a seat in the front of the coaster, otherwise the photo might cut off the board. I know they take pictures for every row.
  • Consider the wind resistance and forces that will be exerted on the board. You wouldn't want the board to fly out of your lap and end up having chess pieces stabbing someone in the face. :shock:
  • They would possibly arrest you for doing such a thing. Especially in the US. (Remember, if its not an American Flag, its a bomb) Maybe Europe would be a better place.
  • Don't get disappointed that its not going to look like it does in this comic. I doubt there are any coasters that take a picture like the one here.

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:39 pm UTC

Absolutely fantastic.

hemphrey

it exists somewhere!

Postby hemphrey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

This has been done. I saw a picture of it online a couple years ago; I will now probably spend the remainder of my work day trying to rediscover it.

I am sure I saw it because it thoroughly humbled me and my best efforts. I'm a fan of absurd ride photo setups myself, though this was the best we could ever do:

http://umich.edu/~jbrons/cedar-point-cards.jpg

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”