0608: "Form"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tsadi

Re: "Form" discussion

Postby tsadi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am UTC

He's lucky in that he'll only get attacked by guys with guns.

This guy got attacked by a raptor!

Phoenix '97

Postby Phoenix '97 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:17 am UTC

Well, one needs slide it into a dot-matrix printer and print "You never said I couldn't print in this space."
Lame. Then again it is two in the morning.
SCSI Wuzzy was a drive. SCSI Wuzzy had ID #5. SCSI Wuzzy wasn't muzzy, was he?

sq_ocelot

Postby sq_ocelot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 am UTC

Whaddaya know, guys, I share a birthday with Douglas Hofstadter.

You learn something new every day.
Rachel! wrote:squocelot sounds like a delicious animal/vegetable hybrid and I should like to eat it someday

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:35 am UTC

dindon wrote:The alt-text reminded me of what's written on the extra sheets of compsci exams at our school: "This space intentionally left (mostly) blank". It always makes me smile.

314159 wrote:One of the reasons I love my current job is that I once got a form with a page saying "This page intentionally left blank. Apart from this writing."

Drat, ninja'd. I was going to point out that I changed our default document template such that blank pages state "This page is intentionally left almost entirely blank"

Awesometastic

Postby Awesometastic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:40 am UTC

You're all wrong on the Alt-text reference.
See:

blankie.com

Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Guys.... I'm disappointed. This is like an unfunny version of 499. And what happened to the days when the alt-text was witty? Even 499's alt-text made me smile... it conjured up a funny image. But now its just vague references to semi-related things. Does anyone else think Mr. Munroe needs to take a break or something?

squig

Postby squig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:26 am UTC

I didn't find this comic very funny.

Minuet

Postby Minuet » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 am UTC

@People who wanted to know about my desktop.

It's Firefox 3.5, normal release. TinyMenu extension, moved Locationbar to menu bar. That userstyle is indeed to blame.

Theme is NOOTO VS + Enigma Rainmeter, etc. Windows XP.

And I meant my JPG was alt-text related, not that my alt-text was related.

eaglef2

Postby eaglef2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 am UTC

It seems to me that the Scantron and this comic are different from each other in that this comic may lead into something else (maybe a story line ["form 2" Randal, I'm waiting{though you're probably don't care...}])
"I am a four hundred-foot tall purple Platypus Bear with pink horns and silver wings."
-Azula, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

wlao

Postby wlao » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 am UTC

Minuet wrote:This is what a blank tab looks like on my browser.

How odd.

(Alt-text related.)

I don't get it. But I'm eagerly waiting for the follow-up. Who is Blank? Why did Page leave him? Are there more than one Page in his life? I can feel the drama building up...

mystichobo

Postby mystichobo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 am UTC

I know you're listening.

jima

Postby jima » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

I'm glad to say I got the alt text. In junior high my English teacher (wait, what?) made me read Metamagical Themas, and I later read GEB:EGB. I'm not sure what the hell she was thinking, but whatever.

togo1960

Postby togo1960 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:πšƒπš‘πš’πšœ πš™πš˜πšœπš πš’πš—πšπšŽπš—πšπš’πš˜πš—πšŠπš•πš•πš’ πš•πšŽπšπš πš‹πš•πšŠπš—πš”.

Nice one.

pachinkoid

Postby pachinkoid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

did anyone else notice that the last letters of the most recent five comics (ignoring "2038" which doesn't have letters) spell "me gay"?

is there something i missed?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

The number of times this gag's been used in this comic makes me think xkcd is being written by manatees.

A minor blunder and an unexpected overreaction. Hilarious, especially the third or fourth time.
I don't know what to do for you

QuarterToTomorrow

Postby QuarterToTomorrow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

Minuet wrote:Theme is NOOTO VS + Enigma Rainmeter, etc. Windows XP.

That's identical to my desktop!

In other news: Instantly reminded me of 292 and 499, and 565 to an extent.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
glasnt wrote:How can one be persecuted for writing in the 'Do not write in this space' space when there's already writing in the space?

That doesn't really make sense, glasnt.

It's not like if someone is lying on the road with a knife in their back you can't be persecuted for stabbing them.

Yeah, you don't make sense.

I'm saying that there's already writing/text in the space, so it's not like there not already stuff in there. Its like you see people jumping off a bridge but there's a 'no jumping' sign...

Hi joee :D

If you see people jumping off a bridge with a no jumping sign, does that mean you can jump?

I'm saying just because there are rule breakers doesn't mean the rule doesn't apply to you.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

mystichobo wrote:I know you're listening.

I know you're reading.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

ACalcutt

Postby ACalcutt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

I remember taking the MCAS test in school. They made us do a trial science portion that didn't really count againts us.

It had one of those "done not write in this area" pages....and I remember i erased "OK" into the section...lol

5ynic

Postby 5ynic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

@31459
yeah, at my college a mate doing philosophy showed me past papers - sure enough, the pages without questions were read "this page intentionally printed with only these words". Gotta love it.

nax

Postby nax » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Back when I wrote manuals for a living, I once went off on a riff on "this page intentionally left blank" that went on for two pages. Unfortunately, when I repaginated the manual, there was no longer a need for a blank page. Sigh.

verbalcontract

Postby verbalcontract » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

This puts me in the mind of "Lisa the Beauty Queen":

The father of the deposed beauty queen, Homer Simpson, filled out the pageant application incorrectly. In the area under 'do not write in this space' he wrote 'OK'.

Also, how the hell did you guys pass the signup form for this damn forum? I had to try like four times: the CAPTCHA is a nightmare, and 1/2 the time it doesn't give you any error message!

Minuet

Postby Minuet » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

The captchas were indeed a bitch.

Doug52392

Postby Doug52392 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

"Form" reminded me of the "Scantron" comic. My school frequently uses Scantron tests, and I've always wondered what would happen if I were to use #1 pencil on it...

That being said, I've always had the urge to write in those "DO NOT WRITE HERE" spaces... but now XKCD has taught me that bad things will happen if I do.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Doug52392 wrote:"Form" reminded me of the "Scantron" comic. My school frequently uses Scantron tests, and I've always wondered what would happen if I were to use #1 pencil on it...

That being said, I've always had the urge to write in those "DO NOT WRITE HERE" spaces... but now XKCD has taught me that bad things will happen if I do.

I've done that before. The worst that has happened was that my forms were ignored. I hope they don't start letting out raptors at people like me.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

civver

Postby civver » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Overreaction to a minor delinquency. How predictable and unoriginal. Not one of your best comics, I have to admit.
Scientific knowledge is the heritage of all mankind.

-Abdus Salam, Pakistani physicist, won the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for contributions to electroweak theory.

zapakh

Hofstadterial post

Postby zapakh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

The post that consists of "The post that consists of with its quotation interposed after its fifth word, has been left blank" with its quotation interposed after its fifth word, has been left blank

DieJay

Postby DieJay » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

verbalcontract wrote:This puts me in the mind of "Lisa the Beauty Queen":

The father of the deposed beauty queen, Homer Simpson, filled out the pageant application incorrectly. In the area under 'do not write in this space' he wrote 'OK'.

Also, how the hell did you guys pass the signup form for this damn forum? I had to try like four times: the CAPTCHA is a nightmare, and 1/2 the time it doesn't give you any error message!

Heheh, I was going to say the same thing... and how often when I saw those spaces did I want to do that, just as a way to protest, kind of like saying "If you don't want me to write there, you gotta give me a reason!"... and screwing up my application in the process. Decisions, decisions...

And I don't know about the captcha thing, I went through alright. Although maybe I'm an oracle and don't know about it?
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

Grauw

Postby Grauw » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

And here I was thinking about the Hofstad Network… Heh. :)

Tesko

Postby Tesko » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

Oh no... They got Trent Reznor and now they're coming for this poor soul too!

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for comedy here? Next we'll get a 5 part series on Mr Hat's attempts to switch the names for driveways and parkways. Oh! oh! Or maybe a wacky inventor building an entire plane out of those little indestructible black boxes. Holy shit would that be witty and original.

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

I see those a lot. In Ontario, we get a standardized test, and in the booklets, the last two or three pages read "Do not write on this page", I've never written anything there, since I didn't want any deducted marks. Also, At the end of a section of the test, if there is an extra page, it'd say "turn the page." I assume we weren't allowed to write in those either.

Storm

Postby Storm » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

vviipp wrote:I see those a lot. In Ontario, we get a standardized test, and in the booklets, the last two or three pages read "Do not write on this page", ....

I'm from Ontario as well, during the grade 9 (and last) version of the tests, I decided to put in one of the "Do not write" boxes "why?" and never heard anything of it. I also found the stop buttons silly and ignored them as much as possible without my teacher knowing.

Tesko wrote:Oh no... They got Trent Reznor and now they're coming for this poor soul too!

I too thought of the Survivalism connection, I approve of NIN and xkcd co-related material!
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

tuckercurley

Postby tuckercurley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

'This space intentionally left blank' is less immediately provocative but more Hofstadterially confusing.

The solution to the Hofstadter confusion, is of course, W. V. O. Quine:

"This space intentionally contains only a warning that this space intentionally contains only a warning."

Quaternia

Postby Quaternia » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

I liked it.
Anybody else noticed there's other dots on the radar? Seems there's others that are under observation...
Yakk wrote:hey look, the algorithm is a FSM. Thus, by his noodly appendage, QED

Generic_Guy

Postby Generic_Guy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

mystichobo wrote:I know you're listening.
Dammit, don't do that! Now I need to board up the ceiling... again.
Not that I'm suggesting anything, mind you. Noooo... :mrgreen:

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Hi all-

rho421 wrote:I'm going to need an alt-text explanation.

Sometimes the reason you come across documents with "THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY BLANK" is because there are certain standardized documents that require updating from time to time, but don't warrant the extra cost to repaginate and redesign. For instance, railroads have a book of rules that all employees must follow while operating trains. These are books that contain hundreds of pages. Sometimes there are massive changes to the rules, and perhaps 10 pages of a section becomes 9. Rather than redesign the whole document to shift every page back one number, they'll re-issue the publication with the notice "THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY BLANK" so that you know that you're not missing vital information, and that this is not the last page, please continue. You might also find this in certain multi-page forms where a certain page cannot be printed on both sides.

And I had to go look up who Hofstadter was... and it makes sense when you understand his ideas of "loops." How can the page be "intentionally blank" if there is something on it?
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Boring comic is boring.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:10 am UTC

glasnt wrote:How can one be persecuted for writing in the 'Do not write in this space' space when there's already writing in the space?

Because you did it with your #2 pencil, of course. :D

I can defeat gags on scannable forms like the day is long. And they're all "well that actually does make sense now that you say". And apparently doing so is not beneath me. :mrgreen:

So now that the question has been posed... can't... not... rant.

The inks used on scannable forms are specially formulated to be as "invisible" to the scanner as possible. That's why the ink colors used make a rather odd pallete when you look at them all. They wouldn't be colors selected for their highly agreeable tones. The inks do look opaque enough on the sheet so obviously there's a threshold thing at work here too. Which is why you get the "Make dark heavy marks" instructions (which I fully expect to be highlighted in XKCD comic somewhere around #700).

Ya know thinking about this sort of stuff sure brings back a lot of memories. Those forms that were read both sides through the paper in one pass were precarious to design for. Make damn sure you don't have anything backing up anything else... anywhere! So yes, between myself and the proofreaders, we made sure those "Do not mark in this area" were where they needed to be. Along with about a zillion other considerations. Unlike most any other regular printing, standardized testing printer errors will make national news.

For my part back in the day, I reckon' took data integrity about as seriously as these dudes in flak jackets.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:Unlike most any other regular printing, standardized testing printer errors will make national news.

Have you watched any of the national news lately? Unless your printing error molested a child, cause a famous celebrity to die, or kill upwards of 4 people, it just won't cut it.

Return to β€œIndividual XKCD Comic Threads”