0609: "Tab Explosion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DieJay

Re: "Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby DieJay » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Well, this thread and all of its links have now officially made me lose more time than that time I tried installing openSuSE 11 on a Pentium 2... which is a lot.

But at least now I've got about two more months worth of topics to talk about. Who said the internet was bad for one's social life?!
Proud Duct-Tape Programmer since 2000.
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity."
-W.A. Wulf

graphite

Postby graphite » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

tvtropes now appears to be down
congratulations

Does firefox have a "mass refresh" button somewhere?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

vviipp wrote:I mean, the TVtropes wiki isn't even a real wiki! It's not on Meta-Wiki (or whatever) and the markup is different from other wikis!

Not part of the same organization as wikipedia/wiktionary/etc != "not a real wiki".

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

vviipp wrote:I mean, the TVtropes wiki isn't even a real wiki! It's not on Meta-Wiki (or whatever) and the markup is different from other wikis!

You may want to find out what a wiki is before saying TVTropes isn't one.

In particular, the wiki markup TVT uses is closer to the *original* wiki, known variously as "the Portland Pattern Repository" (the project which it supports), "C2" (from Cunningham & Cunningham, the company which operates it), "Ward's Wiki" (after Ward Cunningham, the creator), or just plain "the WikiWikiWeb" (its original title). See: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiHistory

Wikipedia and the other wikis operated by the WikiMedia Foundation (WMF) run different software, called MediaWiki. MediaWiki was written by WMF for WMF, but is popular elsewhere. I prefer MediaWiki myself. MediaWiki is notable for not using WikiWords by default, but rather, exclusively using free-linking instead.

For software, TVT started with something called PmWiki, but it's been hacked on so extensively that it's arguably a custom implementation by now.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

delta534

Postby delta534 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

One, get out of my head.

Two, Tvtropes has been dealing with a hacker for a while now who was spamming page body searches at a high rate so the site being down is nothing new for me, I just hope the admins can get the site up and running again.

Three, cracked needs a random article, if it does I cannot find it.

Off to browse cracked and randomly refresh Tvtropes to see if it is alive

Amarsir

Postby Amarsir » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

I must be odd then, because I've known of TVTropes for years and never been able to read to the bottom of a full page. (Let alone been entranced to keep following links.) It's all references to stuff I've never heard of and cute names for things that don't need cute names.

The internet in general is like that of course, and yeah if I find an interesting established webcomic I will be distracted until I'm caught up. But TVTropes as an endless web has no resonance for me, and I'd assumed it was the rare niche for whom it did.

LadyBelle

Postby LadyBelle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I think all the fans from this site trying to log into TvTropes is making the poor thing have fits. It took forever to load. You should find a way to get kickbacks from advertising like that when your comic can flood a place with hits and you don't even try.

Yesitsme

Postby Yesitsme » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

I remember the first time I saw that website...
I couldn't get myself to exit until 2:00 at night and it was only because my parents yelled at me to do so.

Rancher

Postby Rancher » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 am UTC

And todays comic is a perfect example of why I end up with 150+ tabs in opera.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:49 am UTC

isamaru wrote:DAMN YOU I WANTED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE AN HOUR AGO! I could only restrain myself after a very annoyed jabber message from a friend, closing 7 opened TVTropes tabs (The last one of them being http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash). :D
Yesterday I was sucked in to the XKCD TVTropes page and HypeBacklash was the *first* tab I opened. Fortunately I have enough expereince with TVTropes that I managed to limit myself to 23 pages.
(and then had a four hour omegle conversation, resulting in me getting home from work for dinner at 9pm. (by then it was 6am for the other party...) oops. I blame the Blag.)
graphite wrote:Does firefox have a "mass refresh" button somewhere?
Rightclick a tab and choose Reload All Tabs.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

graphite

Postby graphite » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
graphite wrote:Does firefox have a "mass refresh" button somewhere?
Rightclick a tab and choose Reload All Tabs.

Thanks, and with this newfound browsing power I shall [verb] THE WORLD FOR [time]!!!!!

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said TVTropes is addictive. I opened up the "TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life" page from Google to see what it was all about, and subsequently spent two hours clicking links and perusing my way through 25+ tabs, and to think it all started with a single link I found.

Kranerian

Postby Kranerian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:39 am UTC

I find that another website likely to cause this effect is everything2.
http://everything2.com/

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Along with the revelation that laptops let you type from bed and flash games are addictive, this is truly one of the prescient XKCDs. I mean what is observational humor but something that you've already observed to your friends, dozens and dozens of times already months before, with nothing added to the initial observation but a bunch of mostly-empty panels? Sorry XKCD - I usually stay out of this section of the fora.

goingnorthwest

Postby goingnorthwest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:47 am UTC

It is nice finding something like this from xkcd. Randall is funny and informative. :D

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:And like the good editor I am, I added TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life to their XKCD entry. Someone seems to be beating me to the punch as far as pagequoting the strip on the former page, as it is currently checked out.

EDIT: Oh-ho-HO! Changed the bug image instead! Cheeky.

Naarrrgh. Please, make it really clear that a link goes to TVTropes before putting it on there. I clicked on that XKCD link ... but got away with only two more. Barely.
===

Alright, why do people say that sugar cannot cause diabetes? One form of diabetes is "Insulin resistance", where you body is exposed to high levels of insulin for so long that it stops recognizing those high levels as a signal to remove sugar out of the blood stream.

That form of diabetes can be caused by high levels of intake sugar.

And how did I go from XKCD to YouFailBiologyForever?

Oh no: A nasty new internet game: 6 degrees of Trope seperation. Find a path from article A to article Y on TvTropes. You thought the Wiki version of the game was a problem, this will destroy you! :-).

===
My signature on another forum is: "Whatever you do, Don't Click This Link". Then to see this cartoon...

===
Hey, wait a sec ... someone linked me back to TvTropes, and I've got 4 tabs, and one of them linked me back to XKCD about mythbusters ... aaarrggh.!

filterlist.add(tvtropes.com)

(and why am I posting a message, and reading TvTropes, when I have a paper government application due tomorrow?)
<this space on hold>

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 am UTC

goingnorthwest wrote:It is nice finding something like this from xkcd. Randall is funny and informative. :D

If you think Randall's funny, then TVtropes, the site that Randall both referenced AND stole this joke from, would be hilarious to you.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:27 am UTC

I sent a cracked link to someone a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure that by now they've read every damned article on the site.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 am UTC

This comic is so true...same with the alt-text.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

Amarsir wrote:It's all references to stuff I've never heard of

I haven't heard of most of the stuff in the lists either (I generally skip straight past the anime section of each article), but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

and cute names for things that don't need cute names.

Whereas a big part of the appeal for me is a laugh of recognition at those cute names ("Hey is the 'A Nuclear Error' page named after that Clash lyric?") and then clicking on them to see if I'm right. Often the title will conjour up an appropriate Simpsons/Terry Pratchett/Calvin and Hobbes quote (between them, they have one for every occasion!), and I click on the link to see if the quotes at the top of the page include that line. Usually they do.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

I must have some bizarre immunity to TVTropes. I only opened a couple of things there and then just ... left.

What is wrong with me? !My mouth is burning with hot cheese¡
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

FUUUUUUUCK I just clicked on a link and now I have 8 tabs open.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:FUUUUUUUCK I just clicked on a link and now I have 8 tabs open.

I have a reasonably fast computer and I've slowed it to a crawl with a collection of tabs that would make the Queen blush. Er, or something.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I never heard of tvtropes until I read the comic... checked out the site, and didn't find it that fascinating... maybe I'm doing something wrong...
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

PhantomPhanatic

Postby PhantomPhanatic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Get out of my head Randall! Any time I am linked there I immediately follow at least 8 links in separate tabs. The number of tabs increases almost exponentially from there. I've spent days there.....No other site I've been to is so addicting. We should study its effects.
We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming.
-- Wernher Von Braun

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

After spending another 30 minutes on tvtropes, I think I know how I limit the number of tabs I use. It appears the "Tab Explosion" comes from the numerous examples that often link to another page with an ambiguous name. Thing is I don't find most the examples very compelling.

Tab-limiting tips
  • When you open a page, decide how much information you want to get out of it. If you are using a page for reference bookmark it, and keep it open if needed. If you just want to know what the "Green Eggs and Ham" trope means, quickly read the summary (I skimmed the examples as well).
  • Keep track of how may tabs each page is spawning. If a "low priority" page has spawned too many tabs, close the source page. If you want to keep the source page open, go back and "prune" the spawned tabs down to about the 3 you think would be most interesting.
  • When you lose track of time while reading; stop and check.
Did you get the number on that truck?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:After spending another 30 minutes on tvtropes, I think I know how I limit the number of tabs I use. It appears the "Tab Explosion" comes from the numerous examples that often link to another page with an ambiguous name. Thing is I don't find most the examples very compelling.

Tab-limiting tips
  • When you open a page, decide how much information you want to get out of it. If you are using a page for reference bookmark it, and keep it open if needed. If you just want to know what the "Green Eggs and Ham" trope means, quickly read the summary (I skimmed the examples as well).
  • Keep track of how may tabs each page is spawning. If a "low priority" page has spawned too many tabs, close the source page. If you want to keep the source page open, go back and "prune" the spawned tabs down to about the 3 you think would be most interesting.
  • When you lose track of time while reading; stop and check.

• Turn off the computer and go outside forechrisakes.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

buckett

Postby buckett » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

i'm now addicted to cracked.com... thanks a lot. lol

JBridge

Postby JBridge » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Join us...

Anyway, it's nice to see a new addict around. Have fun, Randall!

Binks

Postby Binks » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 am UTC

Heh heh heh. Recently, I got this IM from my cousin.

kindergraph: oh
kindergraph: god
kindergraph: damn it
kindergraph: 33 minutes ago you sent me text with a link to tv tropes
kindergraph: i now have four different tv tropes tabs open
kindergraph: fuck
One Sans Numbers: heh
kindergraph: you
One Sans Numbers: sorry

It's breaking families apart.

iceberg

Postby iceberg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:41 am UTC

because of the link to cracked, i have not commented yet.
}{}{}{}{}{
you put your mouth on that, and your not even wearing any underwear

xPi

Postby xPi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Opera is good at containing tab explosions

Brace

Postby Brace » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am UTC

Upon reading this article, I actually went to tvtropes for the first time and proceeded to do exactly this. I was awake until 4 in the morning.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Vimto

Postby Vimto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:01 am UTC

Before reading this toon I was not aware of TVTropes, so I went to investgate.

Now I have lost my job.

My wife has walked out.

My dog has not been fed in 3 days.

I have moved the computer and the phone next to the door so I don't have to leave the screen to get my pizza delivery.

I have bought 3 more monitors and another gfx card to cope with all the tabs across the top of firefox.

Thanks, my life has never been so fulfilled.

PS None of the above is true but did you know that exaggerations were up 3 million percent last year?

WazirKnightBishop

Postby WazirKnightBishop » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:52 am UTC

It would appear that I'm not the only one to have way more tabs than nessecary.

I used to have up to 30 tabs open at the same time, until I tripped a bug in IE that crashes it every time I open a new tab (after a certain time that is variable.) Now, I have exactly 7 tabs open at any one time. They are:
  • 1 xkcd fora page
  • 1 TFwiki page
  • 3 Wikipedia pages
  • 1 free page (default at Wikipedia, could go anywhere)
  • 1 TVtropes page (this was here solely because of this comic. But I'm not going to say it... no... must resist...)
To those who could have more than 50+ tabs open at the same time: how much RAM does your computer have?

Vimto wrote:Before reading this toon I was not aware of TVTropes, so I went to investgate.
Now I have lost my job.
My wife has walked out.
My dog has not been fed in 3 days.
I have moved the computer and the phone next to the door so I don't have to leave the screen to get my pizza delivery.
I have bought 3 more monitors and another gfx card to cope with all the tabs across the top of firefox.
Thanks, my life has never been so fulfilled.
PS None of the above is true but did you know that exaggerations were up 3 million percent last year?
I do hope that the "my life has never been so fulfilled" bit is not an exaggeration...
~~~~

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am UTC

WazirKnightBishop wrote:I used to have up to 30 tabs open at the same time, until I tripped a bug in IE that crashes it every time I open a new tab (after a certain time that is variable.)

Use Firefox. Or Opera. Seriously.
WazirKnightBishop wrote:To those who could have more than 50+ tabs open at the same time: how much RAM does your computer have?

Currently, 1 GB, but my behavior was the same on my previous home PC, which was an Athlon 1200 MHz with 256 MB RAM. Swap space is a beautiful thing.

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HEAD, MUNROE.
I had my first experiences with both of the mentioned websites THIS WEEK.
picnic time!

sbeguy

Postby sbeguy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

You evil, evil man, I've been stuck on tvtropes ever since i read this comic. My firefox is currently claiming ownership to 1GB of my ram simply because i have so many tabs open that i dare not close in fear of never finding that particular intriguing trope again...

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

sbeguy wrote:You evil, evil man, I've been stuck on tvtropes ever since i read this comic. My firefox is currently claiming ownership to 1GB of my ram simply because i have so many tabs open that i dare not close in fear of never finding that particular intriguing trope again...

Install the "Session Manager" extension for Firefox. You can save multiple named sessions and/or restore selectively. Even preserves hierarchical tab arrangements from the "Tree Style Tab" extension.

Of course, you'll need to restart Firefox to install the add-on... :-/

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
sbeguy wrote:You evil, evil man, I've been stuck on tvtropes ever since i read this comic. My firefox is currently claiming ownership to 1GB of my ram simply because i have so many tabs open that i dare not close in fear of never finding that particular intriguing trope again...

Install the "Session Manager" extension for Firefox. You can save multiple named sessions and/or restore selectively. Even preserves hierarchical tab arrangements from the "Tree Style Tab" extension.

Of course, you'll need to restart Firefox to install the add-on... :-/

Luckily, FF can save and restore your session across "update/install restarts"
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”