0609: "Tab Explosion"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: "Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 am UTC

TVTropes is merely the material emanation of the True Net Lord, Shub-Internet. WE ALL DO HIS BIDDHELPMEAJANAJAQ*#&*(!&@$&%&%NO CARRIER
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Pizzachu

Postby Pizzachu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:04 am UTC

This is also my first "Get out of my head" moment. I feel proud.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Tv Tropes is just like Wikipedia, except for you never actually get to a complete article.

Omnicidal Maniac

Postby Omnicidal Maniac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Wow, cracked and TVTropes. Both of them have recently taken over my life.
This is worse than when I found The Nostalgia Critic. D=

Quicksilver_Johny

Postby Quicksilver_Johny » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 am UTC

This the the first "Randall get out of my head" for which I have explicit documentation:
A reddit post I made a month ago documenting this phenomenon

Edit: Oops. I stayed up all night and currently have 90 (TV Tropes) tabs open. I started from, prophetically, TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life. I should probably start working on those English papers soon...
Last edited by Quicksilver_Johny on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:16 am UTC

By some miracle I've only got seven TVTropes tabs open. Usually I'd be up to thirty by now. I suppose the fact that I'm also Omegling (thanks to the blag) has slowed me down a little. [edit]9 and I've closed three.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

popprocks

Postby popprocks » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:17 am UTC

This kind of thing should be a blog post, not a comic.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:19 am UTC

popprocks wrote:This kind of thing should be a blog post, not a comic.

You all but described XKCD itself. This is just how Randall rolls.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Tyris and Cortle

Postby Tyris and Cortle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Woo! Guessed it before scrolling down to the last line!
And Stent!
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.

Rory

"Tab Explosion" Discussion

Postby Rory » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:29 am UTC

My first time: “Randall, get out of my head!”

So yeah, I've been rereading TVTropes starting a few days ago, and managed to escape yesterday. I vowed that I would not go back for a week, and this comic already made me break that by visiting two pages. Thankfully, I managed to close them. And yeah, I managed to predict TVTropes before the comic's end, but my actual first thought was, "wow, the forums are right. Randall has been reusing comic ideas lately. (This is like the Wikipedia one, and the previous Form comic is like the bubble sheet scanner one. Yes, yes, I know, two examples don't make a trend, but that was my first thought.)

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Ahh, nothing like the first "Randall, get out of my head!" moment. I found TV Tropes about a week ago with the OOTS forums... my life means nothing when I get re-linked to it.

On top of that (spoilered due to extreme time wasting)

Spoiler:
Failblog
GraphJam
Not Always Right
FMyLife
and of course, Wikipedia

also seem to take quite a bit of my time on the internet (though they don't produce nearly as many tabs as TV Tropes)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Great White Snark

Postby Great White Snark » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 am UTC

Perhaps the epitome of "Randall, get out of my head"...

I was reading TVTropes when I decided it would be a good idea to check out the new XKCD. The kicker? I discovered Cracked just last week.

I just had to make an account to make this known. Now I need to lie down. @_@

2tm

Postby 2tm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am UTC

I never knew about tvtropes.....I read your comic 30 minutes ago, clicked random ONCE and STILL have a dozen tabs open.

I'm not sure if I'm incredibly angry and upset or if I'm grateful....

Titanium Dragon

Postby Titanium Dragon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:44 am UTC

This is what a lot of the internet is like, but I do agree this is something of a retread of the Wikipedia comic. It is just as true, though; Wikipedia, TVTropes, and Cracked are all hideous time sinks due to the many links they offer. But awesome ones!

almafuerte

My Routine...

Postby almafuerte » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Everynight, I:

grooveshark/last.fm/jamendo and check both my daily's (UF, battledawn, urbandead, cracked.com, Fark, Slashdot, Reddit ... ) then randomly but invariably end up in wikipedia/snopes/whatever middle clicking (open in new tab in Firefox) until I have over 9000 open tabs, and eventually find some new site or get caught by an old long-time-no-see site that sucks my blood till 6 A.M, when I finally pass out over the kb, and I show up at the office after noon. I haven't been to work before noon in Years, literally. I'm trying to change, to get back in a somewhat normal schedule (10 A.M would be just great!) ... but I fail at this on a daily basis.
TVTropes just caught me real bad, that thing is fucking addictive!, so, another day lost ;) it's already 2:44 in here, and I have at least another 3 or 4 hours of compulsive clicking ahead.

TacoInTheSky

Postby TacoInTheSky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 am UTC

So if I could favorite comics I would favorite this one, because it's so horribly painfully true. I've lost days to that site.

Once I had cracked and TVTropes open at the same time and then my browser crashed, thank god.

I'm too lazy to read all the replies, has there been an 'enslaving mankind' joke yet? Because if not, this right here counts as mine.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 am UTC

You know what's the worst? Today, TV tropes linked me to cracked.

Both of which distract me from hacking. Ugh, I need to port a Windows app to Linux by the end of the week, and want to get tar importing coded on rvs...
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 am UTC

I just lost this afternoon to TvTropes. Because of a link from an xkcd thread. Now Randall is mocking me for it...

undead orange

Postby undead orange » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am UTC

I spent the last five hours or so on TVTropes, and after I finally finished, I decided to check out the latest xkcd. I was like, "Is he on TVTropes? No, couldn't be... Oh me yarm RANDALL GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!"

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 am UTC

But if I didn't have the "Random Trope" link as my HOME PAGE, I would never have learned about Ruby Quest.

Haven't read it? Originally from one of the saner boards of 4chan, it's a manual simulation of a point-and-click adventure game. The main character wakes up in a box, easily opens it, and discovers she's somewhere far stranger, with amnesia. She has to figure out what's going on, who to trust, and why inexplicable events keep happening.

The interactions between the Gamemaster (Weaver) and the players (anyone on the Traditional Games board of 4chan during the live play sessions) are an integral part of the story, but you can skip the archived discussion and art threads without missing anything much.

It will rock your world; you will be a different person after reading it.
---------
BlueNight

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 am UTC

I literally just crashed my computer this way.

I miss my laptop. I once used firefox to open over EIGHT HUNDRED tabs at once.

Not that I have a problem.

This computer only handeled 50.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 am UTC

MY GOD this is TRUTH. I can think of two, months separated, eight-hour blocks of having the tabs all the way filled up and mentally going "i'll go through this one cause it's short and i can free up tab space". i dunno about EIGHT HUNDRED (howww?) but eighty, sure. tvtropes is one of the few that can fill it up.
uhhhh fuck.

popprocks

Postby popprocks » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:You all but described XKCD itself. This is just how Randall rolls.

Even if Randall commonly blogs in his comic, this is STILL the kind of thing that he would want to keep in a blog post since the punchline of the comic is just that some other website is addicting. "TVTropes is addicting and interesting even though it's a larger waste of time than getting rickrolled" is something you SAY, it is not something you DRAW. A while back he did a blog post on Omegle to show his approval and promotion of it, which is perfectly logical, but if it was a comic it wouldn't have been very funny because advertising a website by nature is not comical.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 am UTC

I may be weird, but I find TVTropes and Cracked.com boring: rarely spending more than 30 min. If I follow a link.

I used to spend too much time reading slashdot comments, but now I spend too much time here. :mrgreen:
Did you get the number on that truck?

mbrigdan
False Alarm! There's more rum.

Postby mbrigdan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Out of my head Randall!
When a friend told me about tvtropes I spent hours everyday looking at it. I still do.
I had so many tabs, firslefox would constantly hang. I eventually gave it a 200mb virtual diretory in my RAM. lol
This is an amazing comic!
Spoiler:
TheNgaiGuy wrote:god is playing a huge trick on us and wants us to use our brains to come to the logical conclusion, even though wrong, that he doesn't exist and will send all atheists to heaven for exercising said gifts and send all theists to hell for having faith.

moviepyro

Postby moviepyro » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am UTC

OH MY GOD! RANDALL MUNROE, I LOVE YOU WITH THE VERY FIBER OF MY BEING!

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:32 am UTC

Wow, that happened to me the first time I went to TVtropes. And Cracked. Now I'm trying to write for Cracked, and I try to avoid TVTropes after the last 10 hour stretch I spent on there.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:35 am UTC

popprocks wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:You all but described XKCD itself. This is just how Randall rolls.

Even if Randall commonly blogs in his comic, this is STILL the kind of thing that he would want to keep in a blog post since the punchline of the comic is just that some other website is addicting. "TVTropes is addicting and interesting even though it's a larger waste of time than getting rickrolled" is something you SAY, it is not something you DRAW. A while back he did a blog post on Omegle to show his approval and promotion of it, which is perfectly logical, but if it was a comic it wouldn't have been very funny because advertising a website by nature is not comical.

Sounds like someone needs to visit this page and this one. The thing you may not understand is that XKCD is funny whenever you already know what he's talking about. If you haven't been to TV tropes, then just stop talking: this strip wasn't meant for you. If you have, how can you not find this hilarious and true to life?

TL;DR This strip isn't for promoting the site to those who don't know about it, it's for those who DO know about it.

EDIT: I also should note that the entire point of the strip is the buildup of him clicking through the site, something that is far more easily shown graphically, not in words, and for those who didn't know what TV Tropes is to think "what's going on here?" and for those who DO know the site to think, "Oh my god, he's not talking about TV Tropes, is he?" Cue the choruses of "Randall, get out of my head!" on this very thread.
Last edited by westrim on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Heh, I've been using the term "tabsplosion" for a few months to describe this. I used to call that an "xkcd214" but what it is about here is more intense. To put it short, a tabsplosion is a violent xkcd214.

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:53 am UTC

HTTP/1.1 - 203

Kleppner

Postby Kleppner » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:02 am UTC

Congratulations Randal, you just accidentally THE WHOLE FREAKIN' FORUM.

*goes off to tvtropes in a huff*

popprocks

Postby popprocks » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:04 am UTC

westrim wrote:and for those who DO know the site to think, "Oh my god, he's not talking about TV Tropes, is he?" Cue the choruses of "Randall, get out of my head!" on this very thread.

So the joke is basically that, if you use TVTropes, you empathize with Randall's tendency to unintentionally waste hours on addicting websites.

You're right, that IS a joke.

AlexTG

Postby AlexTG » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 am UTC

Arg... I am stuck in that bloody site site now:cry: , 10 tabs open and I can't help but click on new links. Worse than wikipedia. Damn you Munroe, damn you!

Lithium33

Postby Lithium33 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Oh my god this is the best "Randall get out of my head moment," for me, because whenever I'm not on xkcd, I'm on Cracked. (And I have spent full days on TV Tropes.)

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity." Hunter S. Thompson

"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all." Neutral Milk Hotel

Martok

Postby Martok » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:09 am UTC

*snicker*

Wow. I identify with this comic waaaaay too much. I discovered TVTropes myself about 3-4 months ago, and I've been addicted ever since! 'Tis a terrible habit, truly.... :oops:

Sorroth

Postby Sorroth » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:32 am UTC

This came up in the IRC chan a few days ago, with similar results.

Code: Select all

<@relsqui> DrStatic: I HATE YOU FOR LINKING TO TVTROPES
* relsqui escapes, barely
<@relsqui> how does it DO that jesus
< Pokmin> do what?
<@relsqui> Pokmin: click on a tvtropes link and read the article
<@relsqui> you'll see.

< Pokmin> O_O i've been on tropes for two hours now, god help me!

and

Code: Select all

<jamesmcm03> damn Snow Crash looks like some neoliberal circlejerk
<@snark> jamesmcm03: dude are you serious it is supposed to be one of the most awesome books ever
<@snark> although Your Milage May Vary, it might fall prey to What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome, Or So I Hear.
<@snark> because it is basically a series of Badasses and Crowning Moments of Awesome, or attempts at that. I can see it getting a bit of Narm
<@snark> on the plus side, the hero/protagonist is named Hiro Protagonist
<@snark> which is a Name To Run Away From Very Fast. Lampshaded when he introduces himself and the following occurs: "That is a stupid name" "But you'll remember it"
<@snark> HEY WHO CAN GUESS WHAT I DID ALL DAY
</streamofconsciousness>

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 am UTC

This is so true. I always get stuck to those two sites, sometimes for hours.

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Guess which website I stumbled over a few days ago ...

This is very ... unnerving.

munchman

Postby munchman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:48 am UTC

First of all: I hate you Randall (If anyone lives around my area, could they please come in and drag me away from my computer, I will need to go to bed at some point tonight, and as much as I would like to stay up all night reading TV Tropes, I just don't think I'll have a good day tomorrow.)
Second, to glasnt: I'm going to be clicking Random WTF all night now, thanks to you.
:) Please help me.
There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Compaq Presario CQ60. 2GB Ram, Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor, Windows Vista Home Premium. 250 GB HDD

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 am UTC

I'd like everyone to see THIS POST, so I can finally say...:

Get out of my head! Get out of my head!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”